PS3 Backwards Compatibility

nectarsis1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Has anyone heard/confirmed if/how bad the BC will be on the new 80GB unit? Seeing as how we lose the EE chip, and go with straight emulation.

Once the 80GB is released (on August 1 right?) I'm sure Sony will set up a website with a list like the European one. 60GB ones should still be plentiful a few weeks from now so you can decide then.

Also on the star wars yahoo website they had a photoshopped picture of a PS3 controller with analog sticks in the position like the 360. This is an official website for a star wars game coming for 360 and PS3 I believe, not a fansite. There are hundreds of stock photos of the PS3 controller, why did the guy go through the trouble to find a photoshopped controller for an official site for a star wars game? Either he did it to get some free hits to the site (which seems a bit unprofessional IMO) or the new rumble controller is going to have the sticks changed positions. Guess it makes sense to distinguish the old non-rumble controller from the new one. Maybe new trigger buttons too, who knows.

Awhile back when someone posted that sheet that said 80GB was coming (2-4 months ago, seems like awhile) it also was supposedly getting a new antenna of some sort to solve the bluetooth controller problem. That sheet may be reliable since the 80GB part came true, and this was like a month or two before the Korean 80GB was annnounced.

There are also rumors about a 40GB $399 version. No idea how true that is or not though. Since the 80GB Motorstorm bundle is suppose to be released August 1 it might be better to hold out a little longer before deciding.

So does anyone think it it worth it/better to get a 60gb, or wait for the 80Gb unit?? I also have plenty of PS1 games I still play.

[quote name='nectarsis1']So does anyone think it it worth it/better to get a 60gb, or wait for the 80Gb unit?? I also have plenty of PS1 games I still play.[/QUOTE]

The PSX games have run strictly off emulation since the PS3 launched. It's only the PS2 games that, at the moment in some PS3s, run using the EE.

EDIT - At least that's what I've heard. Alas, I don't remember where. Maybe I dreamt it.

If you get the 80gb version, I hope you don't like Metal Gear. Both MGS1 and MGS3 are listed as "Should play on PLAYSTATION 3 with noticeable issues" - the lowest rating.

--Scott

[quote name='Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shaba']If you get the 80gb version, I hope you don't like Metal Gear. Both MGS1 and MGS3 are listed as "Should play on PLAYSTATION 3 with noticeable issues" - the lowest rating.

--Scott[/QUOTE]

Along with God of War , Gran Turismo 4 , Soul Calibur 3 and that was just me doing a quick browse through the list.

[quote name='coolsteel']Along with God of War , Gran Turismo 4 , Soul Calibur 3 and that was just me doing a quick browse through the list.[/QUOTE]

With the exception of SC 3 (maybe not as high a priority), but I betcha God of War is on their list to "fix" in the 80gb ASAP. ... Just random speculation of course.

[quote name='pete5883']That's the stupidest name I've ever heard.[/QUOTE]

Good to see that someone is paying attention.

[quote name='pete5883']That's the stupidest name I've ever heard.[/quote]
QFT -- I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

All right, back on topic - To whoever asked, i'd say go with 60gb, not only for the EE, but simply for the fact that the hard drive is upgradeable.

It's from an episode of something but I can't remember what. I want to say the Simpsons. It was Homer giving an alias or something.

[quote name='Halo05']It's from an episode of something but I can't remember what. I want to say the Simpsons. It was Homer giving an alias or something.[/quote]

Yes, it was from the Simpsons, Homer talking to Moe, saying that was the name of his friend, and than Moe says that is the stupidest name he's ever heard and the other guy at the bar says that's his name and goes running out crying or something.

Anyways, damn if the MGS games will have problems, I may just consider picking up a PS3 sooner rather than later now. Unless they fix these issues because I don't want to have to hook up a PS2 and PS3 just for the few times I would want to play something on it.

[quote name='Thongsy']Yes, it was from the Simpsons, Homer talking to Moe, saying that was the name of his friend, and than Moe says that is the stupidest name he's ever heard and the other guy at the bar says that's his name and goes running out crying or something.

Anyways, damn if the MGS games will have problems, I may just consider picking up a PS3 sooner rather than later now. Unless they fix these issues because I don't want to have to hook up a PS2 and PS3 just for the few times I would want to play something on it.[/QUOTE]I thought I heard that each MGS now works on the Euro PS3 (originally, it was either MGS2 or 3, until an update).

I just read on a UK forum and I think someone claimed that he could play his import games on the PS3 using software emulation. That because the EE chip is no longer in the system, that the region lock on PS2 games is gone. I still trying to find more evidence that this is true but information is hard to come by.

Also, to the person that mentioned PS1 BC, yes it is software emulated, there is no PS1 chip in the PS3.

[quote name='Halo05']It's from an episode of something but I can't remember what. I want to say the Simpsons. It was Homer giving an alias or something.[/quote]
I thought i'd post in here since i'm listening to old CAGCasts and i heard that name.. it reminded me of this thread. A question in the CAGbag was oustide the show do you and wombat call each other by your aliases, and cheapy replies, no I call wombat Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shaba. :lol: I was thinking, hmm... I heard that somewhere in the PS3 forum.. haha

[quote name='MillerTime2523']To whoever asked, i'd say go with 60gb, not only for the EE, but simply for the fact that the hard drive is upgradeable.[/QUOTE]
You can't connect USB HDs to the 80 GB PS3? Is that confirmed?

[quote name='cleaver']You can't connect USB HDs to the 80 GB PS3? Is that confirmed?[/QUOTE]
I'm curious about this also. So the question is seconded.

[quote name='cleaver']You can't connect USB HDs to the 80 GB PS3? Is that confirmed?[/QUOTE]

I think that post was in reference to paying $100 more for 20GB of storage space and Motorstorm, when the game will drop in price in a few months, and 20GB for $50 (or however you reason it) is absurd because the internal HDD is upgradeable. IOW, don't pay Sony for 20GB more HDD space when you can buy a 2.5" SATA drive for a decent price (160GB for $80, I think).

There is an external enclosure for 3.5" drives available for the PS3 that attaches via USB, but I don't know where you can find it online. Try googling it (it isn't an officially supported PS3 item, of course, but the enclosure does look quite nice next to the system).

bread's done
Back