PS3 blu-ray issue

SDC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
My Playstation 3 no longer seems to recognize blu-ray discs (games or movies). It still recognizes PS2 games (and, I assume, PS1/DVD/CD, though I haven't tested those yet) and I can play video files and downloaded games just fine.
But blu ray games and films don't even show up on the XMB.
Given this behavior it seems fair to assume the BD lens may be at fault here, correct?

Sadly, I am fully out of warranty (bought my PS3 in June 08). Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this?

The lens may just need a good cleaning to start reading discs again. That's what a friend of mine on CAG did with their system(took the laser completely apart to even clean the mirrors in the lens)and they said the system started reading them like new.

If your house is dusty or you smoke around your PS3 or own a cat/dog then that may have contributed to the reading issue.

Since the system is out of warranty you might as well give it a shot. It's either that or call Sony and pay their $150($175 for fully BC models I believe) repair cost for the system.

Or you could keep an eye on the Amazon Warehouse Deals thread and hope another cheap slim PS3 pops up on there soon.

Did it just out of nowhere stop working completely, or is it something that gradually got worse over time? My launch 60GB froze on me for the first time while watching a Blu-ray just a while ago, then wouldn't recognize it until I took it out and put it back in again, but now I get an error message that says something about how it's invalid when I try to play it. Popped in Resistance and it worked.

I also just upgraded it with a new 500GB hard drive earlier today. What shitty timing.

Edit: I guess it is the drive, after all. MGS4 is in there right now, but the PS3 isn't showing that there's anything in the drive (after displaying the alternating disc and question mark when the installation was complete).

Just filled out a service request. $191.22 (after shipping and taxes) to fix. They had an offer to "trade up" to a refurbished 120GB slim for like $120, but fuck that noise. I wonder if they're going to actually repair my system, or just send me another one. My shit is mint, so I hope they don't pull a Microsoft and send me someone else's dirty ass scratched/scuffed PS3 with fingerprints all over it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back