PS3 Bravia Sync?

kiril

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm trying to find out what exactly the new PS3 slim's "bravia sync" feature can do. My sony television supports this, and using the PS3 as a DVD/Blu Ray player will help my convince my wife to get it into the house. ;)

The plan is to have the PS3 directly connected to my Sony television, no receiver or anything else to worry about. My understanding is that Bravia sync will allow me to turn off the tv and that will automatically turn off the PS3, and that I can use my TV remote to navigate the PS3 XMB menu. What I don't know is this: can I put in a DVD or Blue Ray disc and use the television remote to do basic play/stop/rewind/ff while watching a movie?

My remote is the RM-YD026 is that makes a difference. I know I can buy a bluetooth based DVD remote for the PS3, and I think I could also use the main PS3 controller, but for my family simplicity is the key and using the main tv remote for this sort of thing would be very useful.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this to me! :D

I currently have a Sony Bravia tv as well as there upcoverting dvd player. You described the sync just how it works. I can use the tv remote as the remote for the dvd player. When i turn off the tv the dvd player turns off as well.

I am unsure exactly how the Bravia sync will allow control of the PS3 and tv at the same time but i bet it will be similar to how it is now for the dvd/tv combo's.

However, to use the sync feature you have to connect through HDMI. I also believe your remote will not work. I have a RM-YD023 which has "Bravia Sync" buttons at the top of the remote which yours does not.

I hope that is a little bit of insight that could help.

I wouldn't regret it at all. I have a 52" sony bravia, and a 40" samsung. I'm a big fan of the samsung, the bravia just hangs out by itself longing for someone to use it lol.

Only if you have a seriously over priced Sony Bravia TV, which 99.9% of us on a website called cheap ass gamer don't.

Samsung's are way better so are LG, and SHARP, SHARP makes all the displays and LCD's for NASA and the space shuttle.

The PS3 is a quality machine but Sony's TV's are way over priced.

I have owned 2 Sony's and a Samsung now. I prefer both Sony's over the Samsung. The Sony tv's always have more ability to tweak the picture for different light settings and conditions. The Samsung was a nice tv but for what i was looking for it came down to the Sony or a Sharp.

As far as price, shop around. Bought the Sony for $50 dollars cheaper than i could a Samsung with the same specs and size.

Some people just like to hate because they can. Would be a little better and smarter if you actually tried to answer his question then bash on the product.

My TV and receiver are both Bravia.. I really see no "syncing" except for the remote is pre-programmed to operate both. Am I doing it wrong?

[quote name='QiG']My TV and receiver are both Bravia.. I really see no "syncing" except for the remote is pre-programmed to operate both. Am I doing it wrong?[/QUOTE]

There should be an option through the HDMI settings. It will ask to search for connected HDMI devices that it can control. It should also be located in your user manual if your TV supports the "Bravia sync"

[quote name='Master Ninja']Only if you have a seriously over priced Sony Bravia TV, which 99.9% of us on a website called cheap ass gamer don't.

Samsung's are way better so are LG, and SHARP, SHARP makes all the displays and LCD's for NASA and the space shuttle.

The PS3 is a quality machine but Sony's TV's are way over priced.[/QUOTE]

If you are a true CAG, you would go and find a Sony Bravia TV for cheap, like I did. Patience...

At any rate, it would be nice if they could add this through firmware for the old PS3. I'm not ready to buy a slim yet and I don't want to give up both of my 60GB "fat" units.

Thanks for the help, DeathMoJo. Still have to figure out what exactly the PS3 will support, but the remote model you have was useful to me once I looked it up. Those few extra buttons are exactly what I'd like to have; I'll have to see if I can get that to work with my setup.

My TV is a Bravia but my receiver isn't Sony.

They still talk to each other though via HDMI link which is nice (TV volume controls receiver volume, syncs inputs, turn each other on/off).
It'd be nice of my PS3 did as well.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']If you are a true CAG, you would go and find a Sony Bravia TV for cheap, like I did. Patience...

At any rate, it would be nice if they could add this through firmware for the old PS3. I'm not ready to buy a slim yet and I don't want to give up both of my 60GB "fat" units.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the research aspect for any product.

Also hope they add the feature to the older models as well.

[quote name='kiril']Thanks for the help, DeathMoJo. Still have to figure out what exactly the PS3 will support, but the remote model you have was useful to me once I looked it up. Those few extra buttons are exactly what I'd like to have; I'll have to see if I can get that to work with my setup.[/QUOTE]

Your welcome. The remote should work as it should have the Sony code already, since its a Sony remote lol. Good luck with it all and to be honest, my wife loves that its easier for her to control the dvd player with the tv. Just tell your wife another wife endorses it!

Most likely not possible on the older models, as the older models lack any IR port. Hence the difficulty people with Harmony remotes experience.

Alright, I'll explain better. The Bluetooth signal the Playstation 3 accepts is similar to being in a different language than the typical IR remote signal. Hence why the the dongles for people with Harmony Remotes are made out of guts of Playstation 3 Bluetooth Remotes for Blu Ray playback (or at least the first good ones were I haven't really kept up since), they need that piece almost like for a full translation of all the remotes functions.

Essentially, they would have to make the Playstation 3 be able to accept IR commands via HDMI for Bravia Sync to function. Not as easy as it sounds, which is why I assume there is a hardware difference regarding this between the slim and fat units such as a post HDMI input IR port or signal converter.

I'm still trying to explain it simply, and it probably is coming out sounding stupid. I'm also not positive that it is more than a software difference, this is simply from a moderate understanding of the Bluetooth/IR remote differences. I do know for a fact that some commands used for the Playstation 3, such as Power On/Off, Eject, L1, L2, R1, R2, etc. as well as pressing more than one button at once are in a completely separate language and is quite difficult to impossible to communicate VIA IR. It's also using my understanding that Bravia Sync is simply using HDMI to transfer to IR signal between units, which could be incorrect. I could not find much information on Bravia Sync/HDMI CEC.

There's a very good chance you know more than me, and if you do feel free to set me in the right direction.

So, I have sony bravia kds55-a3000 and ps3 slim. the tv and the ps3 respectively do power off when other one shuts down. My device list shows ps3 as well and it seems that all is well. Except, that I can not control the XMB or the BD/DVD controls, so it is utterly useless. I am lacking the sony bravia buttons on my remote, maybe that's an issue? Can I get the correct IR codes somehow?

[quote name='DeathMoJo']Agreed on the research aspect for any product.

Also hope they add the feature to the older models as well.

Your welcome. The remote should work as it should have the Sony code already, since its a Sony remote lol. Good luck with it all and to be honest, my wife loves that its easier for her to control the dvd player with the tv. Just tell your wife another wife endorses it![/QUOTE]

[quote name='sammyg1']So, I have sony bravia kds55-a3000 and ps3 slim. the tv and the ps3 respectively do power off when other one shuts down. My device list shows ps3 as well and it seems that all is well. Except, that I can not control the XMB or the BD/DVD controls, so it is utterly useless. I am lacking the sony bravia buttons on my remote, maybe that's an issue? Can I get the correct IR codes somehow?[/QUOTE]

I would try a Sony remote with the Bravia Sync controls. with the sync controls i can control my upconverting dvd player through it. I do not have a slim PS3 so i can not comment on the function with that but my guess would be the lack of Sync buttons.

Just throwin it out that even if you don't have a Bravia TV, you might be able to use Bravia Sync with another tv. Bravia Sync is just Sony's name for HDMI-CEC. I have an LG plasma with HDMI CEC (they call it SimpLink, Samsung calls theirs AnyNet, etc) and when everything works with my "Bravia Sync" HTIB. IE, when I turn off the TV, everything turns off, when I turn on the HTIB, it turns off the tv speaker.

i have a sony bravia kdl-52w4100... my dad has a 52" samsung a630... i prefer my dads samsung over my sony, but he paid more for his set so i cant complain

yea you should be able to do all of those things as long as you have a slim ps3 connected to a bravia-sync enabled sony tv via HDMI, and a remote that supports it.

bread's done
Back