PS3 closing gap on Japanese Wii sales

Ivanhoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
But Nintendo console still outsells rival by 2-to-1
The Nintendo Wii is still outselling the PlayStation 3 by 2-to-1 in Japan, although the gap between the rival formats has closed for the fourth consecutive month.
The latest figures released by Enterbrain and reported by Reuters show that Nintendo shifted 110,415 units in the four weeks to October 28, while Sony sold 47,183 PlayStation 3 units.
Microsoft continues to struggle in the region, with sales of the Xbox 360 reaching 18,717

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30224

I Guess the Ps3 is still alive in japan. I thought the PS3 was dead like the dreamcast?

hmmph......

Game industry can't be healthy just off the success of 360 and Wii... this was bound to happen, that's why Nintendo bought up Monster Hunter 3 to make it exclusive for them. If you're outselling your competition by 6 to 1, then why would you spend money for exclusives? Nintendo knew that the PS3 would be picking up some steam and they're making arrangments to keep themselves in the lead. It should have been Sony making sure that certain games don't get released on the Wii/360 in Japn. [and America]

I guess its time for Nintendo to release that new and improved Wii!

man, what? Has there ever been a time when the industry could actually support more than two hardware makers?

And of course they would be aggressive in their effort to keep the lead. Oh no, since they're doing so well, they should just get complacant again. These things dont require any sort of maintenance.

I would imagine exclusivity costs significantly less when you have a marketshare advantage. When you get to be like the PS2, its more like a default.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']
I Guess the Ps3 is still alive in japan. I thought the PS3 was dead like the dreamcast?

hmmph......[/quote]

The Dreamcast is still alive in Japan.

Yeah, I guess that thread title is one way of looking at it. One could also say, "Pricedrops Still Not Enough to Bring PS3 Anywhere Near Wii Sales." Kinda depends.

[quote name='trq']Yeah, I guess that thread title is one way of looking at it. One could also say, "Pricedrops Still Not Enough to Bring PS3 Anywhere Near Wii Sales." Kinda depends.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Alternately, the "ZOMG the Wii fad is over!" explanation could be used. ;)

We can theorize about the "why" of the matter until we're blue in the face, I suppose. Maybe bulky hardware is popular in Japan, so they're migrating to the PS3? ;)

The past week's hardware sales saw the Wii sell 27,500 units, and the PS3 sell 18,700 units. The gap is more than narrowing...but the overall sales gap is still substantial, the overall sales gap isn't going *anywhere* unless the PS3 can start outselling the Wii, and the sales gap b/w the Wii and PS3 is far greater in the US (making this all pretty moot, I suppose).

This thread should, I expect, quickly turn into a "Japan doesn't matter" argument rather quickly. Most people can't deal with the idea that the PS3 had a greater install base there than the 360 after 3-4 weeks of the PS3's availability, so they then delve into arguments about how the PS3 has no worthwhile games, the 360 is getting all sorts of ports, and then ignore/belittle the PS3 exclusives there are (e.g., Disgaea 3).

IMO, this article is a waste. Anyone who looked at Media Create notices that the PS3 has done better as of late while the Wii has done worse. However, all this proves is console gaming is dying off even more in Japan, because handhelds are crushing the consoles really bad at the moment. It's also really sad to see many good games perform terribly on PS3 and Wii (like Zelda, Folklore, etc. There's a rumor Mario Galaxy only sold like 170k so far, but who knows).

I'll put it this way, outside of SCEA/SCEE games, NFS, NBA 2k games, Harmonix, and Rallisport/PGR, my gaming is almost exclusively Japanese, so it's very important for me that consoles do well (most Japanese games I want are coming to handhelds these days).

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']wait till there is a price drop, guessing March of next year, the Wii will sell better than used panties[/QUOTE]And PS3 being cheap like Wii could cause it to sell insanely well. Your point proves nothing.

*yawn*

Resurrect this topic after Wii Health and Smash Bros come out, please.

(And yes, you could replace "Wii" with "PS3" and "Wii Health and Smash Bros" with "MGS4 and FFXIII" if you want, but that's not until...what, 2012? The same year we'll elect a homosexual minority president?)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']And PS3 being cheap like Wii could cause it to sell insanely well. Your point proves nothing.[/QUOTE]

Your weak-hearted jibbajabba proves nothing too.

[quote name='Thomas96']Game industry can't be healthy just off the success of 360 and Wii... this was bound to happen, that's why Nintendo bought up Monster Hunter 3 to make it exclusive for them. If you're outselling your competition by 6 to 1, then why would you spend money for exclusives? Nintendo knew that the PS3 would be picking up some steam and they're making arrangments to keep themselves in the lead. It should have been Sony making sure that certain games don't get released on the Wii/360 in Japn. [and America]

I guess its time for Nintendo to release that new and improved Wii![/QUOTE]

It's amazing. We have a one-two punch of bitch right in this thread. I'm actually surprised it has crashed yet. Alternatively, I'm surprised I'm not hearing about minor disasters, like....a truckload of potatoes spilled on the highway. From all of the bitch, you see.

Thomas, you're in a league of your own when it comes to bitch. Suggesting that Nintendo do things to keep itself in the lead? Goodness! THE HORROR OF IT ALL. And yet if Sony were to try the same thing - provided they could get in the lead - I guess that would be kosher with your Spiderman 3 font snortin' ass. You say "making arrangements" like it's some sort of Yakuza activity over there, when instead it's nothing but pure bidness.

And as for "the new and improved Wii," continue to hopelessly trumpet that notion, using portable hardware as your backup. Which means I ought to start waiting for farmers to deliver the banana, version 2, because there's a huge variety of apples at my store.

Those fuckers gotta break down and give me a new banana sometime! The apple is closing the sales gap!

[quote name='Strell'] but that's not until...what, 2012? The same year we'll elect a homosexual minority president?)

[/QUOTE]

too bad the world is going to end that year

[quote name='Strell']Resurrect this topic after Wii Health and Smash Bros come out, please.[/QUOTE]

What's Wii Health? Something other than WiiFit? WiiFit *plus* more minigames (now with 30% more leaning!)? Waggle your way to lean muscletone?

[quote name='mykevermin']What's Wii Health? Something other than WiiFit? WiiFit *plus* more minigames (now with 30% more leaning!)? Waggle your way to lean muscletone?[/QUOTE]

What about Super Mario Galaxy that just came out? I would think that would push system sales. Has it come down to what everyone was afraid of? That Wii Health/Fit and minigames are what sells the system?

[quote name='rodeojones903']What about Super Mario Galaxy that just came out? I would think that would push system sales. Has it come down to what everyone was afraid of? That Wii Health/Fit and minigames are what sells the system?[/QUOTE]I believe it sold 130k on the first day when it was released. Wii Fit will sell better though.

[quote name='Strell']*yawn*

(And yes, you could replace "Wii" with "PS3" and "Wii Health and Smash Bros" with "MGS4 and FFXIII" if you want, but that's not until...what, 2012? The same year we'll elect a homosexual minority president?)

[/quote]I find it hilarious that you bash the two PS3 games for not coming out until "2012", right after you spout typical rhetoric about a Nintendo game that's been delayed several times, Smash Brothers. But hey, maybe Nintendo is using that time to add MORE characters nobody will ever play as. Maybe they should put in "Rider C" from Excitebike!

I'll save you the effort:

hotmariopf3.jpg

"Generic mangling of "Vanilla Gorilla", something like Vagina Gojira or Vagooey Fajita, followed by something in italics to show everyone else how funny he is."

[quote name='rodeojones903']What about Super Mario Galaxy that just came out? I would think that would push system sales. Has it come down to what everyone was afraid of? That Wii Health/Fit and minigames are what sells the system?[/QUOTE]

Is it out in Japan? Huh, it is as of this week - we'll see how that pans out, since the last data available are from the week before that. I'm sure there will be a spike in Wii sales, but to what degree (and will it last again, or quickly drop down to the 25-30K per week)?

[quote name='soonersfan60']The Dreamcast is still alive in Japan.[/QUOTE]

360 still has a slight pulse in Japan too...

[quote name='Strell']*yawn*

Your weak-hearted jibbajabba proves nothing too.

It's amazing. We have a one-two punch of bitch right in this thread. I'm actually surprised it has crashed yet. Alternatively, I'm surprised I'm not hearing about minor disasters, like....a truckload of potatoes spilled on the highway. From all of the bitch, you see.

Thomas, you're in a league of your own when it comes to bitch. Suggesting that Nintendo do things to keep itself in the lead? Goodness! THE HORROR OF IT ALL. And yet if Sony were to try the same thing - provided they could get in the lead - I guess that would be kosher with your Spiderman 3 font snortin' ass. You say "making arrangements" like it's some sort of Yakuza activity over there, when instead it's nothing but pure bidness.

And as for "the new and improved Wii," continue to hopelessly trumpet that notion, using portable hardware as your backup. Which means I ought to start waiting for farmers to deliver the banana, version 2, because there's a huge variety of apples at my store.

Those fuckers gotta break down and give me a new banana sometime! The apple is closing the sales gap![/QUOTE]

Strell you are the leader of Vagina Clowns! now go play Wii Wii

I'm so sick of Wii.. Wii Sports, Wii fit, Wii this, wii that Nintendo needs to put all of it in one box.. orange is already taken... so they could call it.. The Bullshit Box. Some BB for your Wii Wii.. I bet bitch ass strell would be all over that...

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm so sick of Wii.. Wii Sports, Wii fit, Wii this, wii that Nintendo needs to put all of it in one box.. orange is already taken... so they could call it.. The Bullshit Box. Some BB for your Wii Wii.. I bet bitch ass strell would be all over that...[/QUOTE]

Fanboys like you are the reason why the boards on this site suck. Maybe you and Mana can hook up and make sweet Sony love to each other.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'm so sick of Wii.. Wii Sports, Wii fit, Wii this, wii that Nintendo needs to put all of it in one box.. orange is already taken... so they could call it.. The Bullshit Box. Some BB for your Wii Wii.. I bet bitch ass strell would be all over that...[/quote]Well, first everything was SUPER, then it was 64, and now it's Wii. So maybe they'll churn out "Super 64 Wii" with 64 exciting minigames like "shine the flashlight" and "shake the spray paint". Revolutionary.

[quote name='Blitz']Fanboys like you are the reason why the boards on this site suck. Maybe you and Mana can hook up and make sweet Sony love to each other.[/QUOTE]

maybe you and your mama can go to walmart today and put a Wii on layaway... just a dollar a day brings you a Wii to play.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - your Wii day!

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Well, first everything was SUPER, then it was 64, and now it's Wii. So maybe they'll churn out "Super 64 Wii" with 64 exciting minigames like "shine the flashlight" and "shake the spray paint". Revolutionary.[/QUOTE]

They could put that game right next to Ninja BreadMan! hey did Ninja BreadMan make it to SmasBros? cause that could be so fucking awesome..

The SDF and WDF...wonder who's going to be win this one.

When did Nintendo bring out the Platinum cube?

[quote name='docvinh']Wow, this got ugly quick.[/quote]

Word...

Why is it that everyone seems to incapable of just accepting that people have different opinions, and read a post and say 'I disagree'.

Why do bitches and clowns always have to be involved?

I just don't think the PS3 has what it takes to surpass the Wii. I mean, the Wii has killer aps. What does the PS3 have? Cell? Blue-Ray? In Japan they're going to buy That Wii, not That Triple.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I find it hilarious that you bash the two PS3 games for not coming out until "2012", right after you spout typical rhetoric about a Nintendo game that's been delayed several times, Smash Brothers. But hey, maybe Nintendo is using that time to add MORE characters nobody will ever play as. Maybe they should put in "Rider C" from Excitebike!

I'll save you the effort:

hotmariopf3.jpg

"Generic mangling of "Vanilla Gorilla", something like Vagina Gojira or Vagooey Fajita, followed by something in italics to show everyone else how funny he is."[/QUOTE]

Vanilla Gorilla... with a clever post?!?!

:applause: I gotta hand it to you VG, its not too bad.

[quote name='munch']I just don't think the PS3 has what it takes to surpass the Wii. I mean, the Wii has killer aps. What does the PS3 have? Cell? Blue-Ray? In Japan they're going to buy That Wii, not That Triple.[/QUOTE]

It has killer app... not apps. You say it pluralized like that system was built to play anything but Wii Sports.

Wait. Wait.

People thought I was serious?

Talking about homosexual presidents....and you thought I was serious?

Oh goodness. There's no cocktail of drugs in the universe that would recreate the amount of lunacy inherent in that realization.

Also, Vanilla, why are you in here? I didn't see any comments about EA.

Misconstrue sarcasm more, please. I didn't even make an honest comment on how the PS3 is performing in Japan, mostly because others had covered that material well in advance for me. PS3 is selling better than it was, but it's still selling overall worse than the Wii, to say nothing of the overall sales numbers. I'll even be fair about it (to an extent) and say that we have no clue what the future holds, but we'll (I'm sure) debate like endless bitches when the time comes.

However, how is it that Sony fans are now happy with "Hey, we're not selling as well as the Wii, but we're marginally better than we were the last few months!" ???

It's like....hey guys, last month my house burned down. But this month, I only got herpes! I'm TOTALLY in the clear!

[quote name='mykevermin']What's Wii Health? Something other than WiiFit? WiiFit *plus* more minigames (now with 30% more leaning!)? [/quote]
Wii Fit, my mistake.

Waggle your way to lean muscletone?

If someone can successfully market Sit and Be Fit, then I guess it's possible.

You'd buy WiiRollerDerby, don't deny it.

[quote name='Strell']Wait. Wait.

People thought I was serious?

Talking about homosexual presidents....and you thought I was serious?

Oh goodness. There's no cocktail of drugs in the universe that would recreate the amount of lunacy inherent in that realization.

Also, Vanilla, why are you in here? I didn't see any comments about EA.

Misconstrue sarcasm more, please. I didn't even make an honest comment on how the PS3 is performing in Japan, mostly because others had covered that material well in advance for me. PS3 is selling better than it was, but it's still selling overall worse than the Wii, to say nothing of the overall sales numbers. I'll even be fair about it (to an extent) and say that we have no clue what the future holds, but we'll (I'm sure) debate like endless bitches when the time comes.

However, how is it that Sony fans are now happy with "Hey, we're not selling as well as the Wii, but we're marginally better than we were the last few months!" ???

It's like....hey guys, last month my house burned down. But this month, I only got herpes! I'm TOTALLY in the clear!

Wii Fit, my mistake.

If someone can successfully market Sit and Be Fit, then I guess it's possible.

You'd buy WiiRollerDerby, don't deny it.[/quote]Note to self: Whenever I make a stupid comment, and people call me out on how ridiculous it is, be sure to play it off as "No, YOU guys are the jackasses for thinking I was actually serious!" Actually, check that. "No, YOU guys are the jackasses for thinking I was actually being serious!. Ahh, there we go. So much better now.

[quote name='Blitz']Fanboys like you are the reason why the boards on this site suck. Maybe you and Mana can hook up and make sweet Sony love to each other.[/QUOTE]Why the fuck did you post this stupid reply? We get it, you're not happy with the PS3, but why do you keep it and post here?
[quote name='Thomas96']maybe you and your mama can go to walmart today and put a Wii on layaway... just a dollar a day brings you a Wii to play.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 - your Wii day![/QUOTE]:lol:
[quote name='BattleChicken']Word...

Why is it that everyone seems to incapable of just accepting that people have different opinions, and read a post and say 'I disagree'.

Why do bitches and clowns always have to be involved?[/QUOTE]Dude, this is a messageboard. Most everyone wants to prove they are right while everyone who disagrees is wrong. That's just human nature. In real life, I (and I know many others) probably wouldn't do such a thing, because it's more natural to be more respecting to someone face to face (than text to text).

I don't want to get into an argument over the Wii because:
-I still never played one.
-I actually respect the Wii in some ways and really want one (although I have zero interests in Zelda and Metroid, because those two series just aren't for me).

Another certain console is a different case, based on experience, but I rather leave that out of here.

wow ive learned so much reading this thread... lol

how about we all go read a book....
wait nvm we love video games!

ps3 still has no games that i want, i own one... id get a wii just for zelda and mario but im too cheap.

both systems have been out for 1 year, lets wait 1 more year...
nintendo needs to honestly pick up on the supply though.

this is surely because mario galaxy only got a 9.5. The Japanese can see into the future and are starting to buy PS3s accordingly.

[quote name='Strell']we'll (I'm sure) debate like endless bitches when the time comes.[/quote]

You phrased that incorrectly by suggesting debating like bitches isn't an ongoing process we're totally invested in all the time.

I'll simply say that, like Mark Twain (while he was alive at any rate), the rumors of the PS3's death have been greatly exaggerated. Sales trends show positive, but *slow*, growth for the PS3. That's a good thing; as I said earlier, unless the PS3 can consistently outsell the Wii, though, any reduction in sales gaps is pretty much moot to a degree. With the greatest caveat being that these trends are only being seen in Japan, and not the US. I don't see how it's a bad thing, really. This generation of consoles is still very early on, and, dare I say (dare! dare!) could really go either way for any of the three consoles. The least likely scenario is the PS3 coming out on top, but it's certainly not out of the question.

Wii Fit, my mistake.

Gotcha. You tend to keep up on all things Wii more than I do, so I wasn't sure if I missed an announcement. I wasn't (for a change) trying to take the piss.

You'd buy WiiRollerDerby, don't deny it.

Indeed I would.

Oct 22 - 28 Japanese Hardware Sales

DS Lite: 76,243 5,635 (7.98%)
- PSP: 59,792 1,123 (1.91%)
- Wii: 27,502 2,570 (10.31%)
- PS3: 18,785 1,655 (9.66%)
- PS2: 11,698 1,417 (13.78%)
- Xbox 360: 3,718 707 (23.48%)
- Game Boy Micro: 64 54 (45.76%)
- Gamecube: 58 10 (20.83%)
- GBA SP: 41 89 (68.46%)
- DS Phat: 30
- GBA: ???

[source: Media Create]

So wait the PS3 has a pricedrop and sees a boost in sales and we're suppose to expect that it will actually stay at this level?

Personally I think it's pretty sad that even with a cheaper SKU the PS3 can't even catch up to Wii sales for a week. I think the PS3 is in for a pretty grim harvest internationally this christmas.

[quote name='zionoverfire']So wait the PS3 has a pricedrop and sees a boost in sales and we're suppose to expect that it will actually stay at this level?

Personally I think it's pretty sad that even with a cheaper SKU the PS3 can't even catch up to Wii sales for a week. I think the PS3 is in for a pretty grim harvest internationally this christmas.[/QUOTE]

Well the new PS3 didn't even come out in Japan yet.. comes out on Nov 11th.. this is something that occured with no big game release, or a price drop.

[quote name='mykevermin']You phrased that incorrectly by suggesting debating like bitches isn't an ongoing process we're totally invested in all the time.[/quote]

Heh, noted.

The least likely scenario is the PS3 coming out on top, but it's certainly not out of the question.

Oh, I'd say the least likely is the 360 coming out on top in Japan.

Indeed I would.

I'd demand you Youtube it up, were this to come to pass.

The PS3 was always going to be a slow starter. Do I think it will ever be the market leader that the PS2 was? Not a chance, but it'll do just fine once it gets rolling. I think a lot of the public had the same mindset I did... which is that I want to like the PS3, I just need a reason(s). Of course, to even get to those reasons, Sony has to get though all the BS first (price drops, delayed games, Blu-ray).

Now, without looking at numbers, it's also, I assume, safe to say that Wii sales simply can't stay that high forever. With every batch that ships out and is purchased (which is to say, ALL of them), that's a lot less people who need the system.

If anything, like someone said, the interesting point of all these numbers is how the handhelds are crushing everything else in Japan. The Japanese are showing a serious shift to less complicated gaming on handhelds, which is part of why sales of consoles in Japan are sluggish. The Wii is doing well because it's Nintendo, and it's simple. They hate the XBox and, let's be fair here, the PS3 is a very 'western' system. It's huge, and does WAY more than it needs to, and costs too much. There's a decadence that the Japanese don't seem to care for, so until killer apps come out (read: RPGs), sales aren't going to be great.

Point is, handhelds are doing well, so both Sony and Nintendo are doing just fine in Japan. Japan seems to want to stay a generation or two back, and more power to them.

[quote name='rodeojones903']What about Super Mario Galaxy that just came out? I would think that would push system sales. Has it come down to what everyone was afraid of? That Wii Health/Fit and minigames are what sells the system?[/QUOTE]

Isnt the Wii still selling out everyplace? Dont you have to have less than maximum sales in order to determine if a specific piece of software caused a sales spike?

[quote name='carthitup']
Now, without looking at numbers, it's also, I assume, safe to say that Wii sales simply can't stay that high forever. With every batch that ships out and is purchased (which is to say, ALL of them), that's a lot less people who need the system.[/QUOTE]

Why not? The PS2 sold over a 100 million systems and replacement system jokes asside, the 7th generation market still has a lot of room to grow.

When sales slow even a little bit in America and Japan, Nintendo has China lined up to launch the Wii.

Room for everyone to grow.

Lets give sony some credit.. remember, they have two consoles on the market, Sony's fanbase is so split...PS3 and PS2, but looking at that list... 3 out of the top 5 are Sony products.

PS3 will outsell Wii and 360 US and Japan when MGS 4 comes out. People are waiting for a system seller, no brainer game.. and out of all the games... its MGS4

[quote name='Thomas96']Oct 22 - 28 Japanese Hardware Sales

DS Lite: 76,243 5,635 (7.98%)
- PSP: 59,792 1,123 (1.91%)
- Wii: 27,502 2,570 (10.31%)
- PS3: 18,785 1,655 (9.66%)
- PS2: 11,698 1,417 (13.78%)
- Xbox 360: 3,718 707 (23.48%)
- Game Boy Micro: 64 54 (45.76%)
- Gamecube: 58 10 (20.83%)
- GBA SP: 41 89 (68.46%)
- DS Phat: 30
- GBA: ???