PS3 Controller Scrapped!

lets just hope its dualshock 3

the ps1/ps2 controller imo is the best controller for console games.

the analog stick could be a little better but the design of the controller is excellent. why change something that works so well in the first place?

[quote name='Ivanhoe']
the ps1/ps2 controller imo is the best controller for console games.
[/quote]

My foot's the best controller for console games. The PS2 is not the best controller since those analog nubs are just sort of tacked on there (they were jealous of the N64) and there are no diagonals, just individual buttons. I can't play well on that controller. At least the Xbox pad is a touch better.

Still, nothing even compares to the 6 button Japanese Saturn pad for anything in the console world. I don't understand why more people did not follow this model instead of the SNES model. Never was a fan of shoulder buttons. Especially that accursed L button. It didn't help that Sony had the balls to throw on 2 L buttons to just irk me further.

At least they are getting rid of that batarang controller. I don't care if the mockups made it look bigger than it really was, it didn't look contoured for human hands to hold. So yay to that at least.

No surprise here. I mean, no one liked the boomerang. And it looked so uncomfortable too. I really like the DualShock, it is my favorte. A modified version would be nice.

Oooh! Maybe they will change the font too! I hate seeing spiderman evertime I look at the PS3.

[quote name='SMMM']*expects Sony Revolution controller*[/quote]Haha...exactly.

They really need to have triggers this time and move the left analog to where the digital pad is. It's just a lot more ergonomic. And change the material the analog nubs are made of. Makes your thumbs slide off way too easily.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']

They really need to have triggers this time and move the left analog to where the digital pad is. It's just a lot more ergonomic. And change the material the analog nubs are made of. Makes your thumbs slide off way too easily.[/QUOTE]

In other words copy the 360 controller . I would like that , if I end up getting a PS3 .

[quote name='Richlough']In other words copy the 360 controller . I would like that , if I end up getting a PS3 .[/quote]Yup.
Einhandkiller-1.jpg

That'd work for me.

*pic taken from Joystiq

Well this sucks.

The PS3 pad was going to turn out fantastic. Just all the stupid fanboys went berserk about a pad they hadn't held in their hands. To me it seemed VERY reminiscent of the old Alps Pad for the PS1 which is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever owned. So here you have Sony making a change due to unwarranted outcry about a fucking picture of a controller. Way to go asshats.

The boomerang controller looked like it would be very uncomfortable. Hopefully they either just make a dual shock 3 or come up with something close to it. And I really hope they dont go and copy the Rev.

[quote name='Nogib']Well this sucks.

The PS3 pad was going to turn out fantastic. Just all the stupid fanboys went berserk about a pad they hadn't held in their hands. To me it seemed VERY reminiscent of the old Alps Pad for the PS1 which is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever owned. So here you have Sony making a change due to unwarranted outcry about a fucking picture of a controller. Way to go asshats.[/QUOTE]

So... you knew it was going to be fantastic because... you've held it?:roll:

[quote name='Vinny']So... you knew it was going to be fantastic because... you've held it?:roll:[/QUOTE]
yeah, and sony knew it was gonna be the shit too, so they scrapped it because of us asshats.

idiot

[quote name='Nogib'] To me it seemed VERY reminiscent of the old Alps Pad for the PS1 which is one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever owned. [/QUOTE]

I liked that too , especially the limited edition red one from EB .
But those shoulder buttons sucked .

alpspad.jpg

[quote name='Pijaibros'] The PS2 is not the best controller since those analog nubs are just sort of tacked on there (they were jealous of the N64) and there are no diagonals, just individual buttons. I can't play well on that controller. At least the Xbox pad is a touch better.[/quote]

Opinion only. I personally like the Dualshock 2 MUCH better than the Xbox pad. Xbox pad hurts my hands after alot of use. And the black and white buttons are next to useless.

I dont own a 360, but I do like the pad there from playing it in kiosks and whatnot. They added the two shoulder buttons and streamlined the design a little and now I love it.

I personally find the Gamecube controller to be the most comfortable for me. I just wish it had 4 shoulder buttons instead of 3.

And I agree with the poster who liked the Saturn 6 button pad. Best 2D pad ever imo...

Im not surprised that Sony scrapped the 'batarang'. Now just lose the Spiderman font on the console and Sony will be batting .1000

[quote name='SpottedNigel']...If it wasnt for the button layout on the Gamecube controller (Kidney buttons?) It would win for best/most comfortable controller ever.[/quote]

They controller is good for games that were made to use that controller specifically. The controller sucks for most retro games though (Megaman X and Megaman Anniversary: I'm looking at you). I also noticed my right index finger starts to hurt from holding down the R button in a Burnout 2 race.

I haven't really tried out any other controllers though so I can't comment on those.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Haha...exactly.

They really need to have triggers this time and move the left analog to where the digital pad is. It's just a lot more ergonomic. And change the material the analog nubs are made of. Makes your thumbs slide off way too easily.[/QUOTE]
The analog sticks are fine where the are, as they were easy to use and it felt great. I've never had a problem with them at all. There's not much I could think to improve on the DS2, triggers might help, but I wouldn't like them taking out the shoulder buttons.

[quote name='SpottedNigel'] ...If it wasnt for the button layout on the Gamecube controller (Kidney buttons?) It would win for best/most comfortable controller ever. [/quote]
Those buttons are fine. It's the Z button that sucks horribly, easily the worst button on any of the three controllers. Horrible placement and it sometimes has very shitty response.

The S Controller is probably the worst of the three comfort and button placement-wise to me, it's still good, but extended playtime can make my hand cramp.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The analog sticks are fine where the are, as they were easy to use and it felt great. I've never had a problem with them at all. There's not much I could think to improve on the DS2, triggers might help, but I wouldn't like them taking out the shoulder buttons.

Those buttons are fine. It's the Z button that sucks horribly, easily the worst button on any of the three controllers. Horrible placement and it sometimes has very shitty response.

The S Controller is probably the worst of the three comfort and button placement-wise to me, it's still good, but extended playtime can make my hand cramp.[/QUOTE]

never had a cramp of any sort with any of the big three.... my ds on the other hand, oh hells yea

I love the DS2 as it is right now...I disagree with anyone who says the analog stick and d-pad need to swap places. Triggers would be nice on the new version...but I prefer the shoulder buttons as they are...I find the 360 controller somewhat awkward to hold with 2 triggers and two shoulder buttons...

I find the GC controller to hurt my hands after a while...and don't get me started on playing GBA games on my DS. The buttons are too close together

[quote name='paz9x']never had a cramp of any sort with any of the big three.... my ds on the other hand, oh hells yea[/QUOTE]
My index fingers start getting sore after extensive use of the triggers on the Controller S, as they're bent for too long at a time for racing games and such.

the 1 major thing i hate about the dualshock is the directional pad being made of super hard plastic and not having diagonal positions

Think of the Snes directional pad. that was perfect. and soft !

[quote name='Pijaibros']

Still, nothing even compares to the 6 button Japanese Saturn pad for anything in the console world. I don't understand why more people did not follow this model instead of the SNES model. Never was a fan of shoulder buttons. Especially that accursed L button. It didn't help that Sony had the balls to throw on 2 L buttons to just irk me further.
[/quote]
Thank you.

Honestly, the perfect controller would be taking the analog saturn pad, adding another analog and two triggers 360 style and be done with it.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']The 360 controller is going to be damn hard to top.[/QUOTE]
Not really- if the 360 controller had a not-a-piece-of-shit D-pad, extra space between the shoulder buttons and triggers, and analog sticks similar to the controller s in terms of tightness, then I would agree with you.

For me, the 360's analog placement is about as ideal as you're gonna get for a traditional style controller. The Dual Shock is ok, but personally I really don't like the analog sticks where they are. If I have to use both, it feels awkward and cramped. The 360 pad is a really nice balance of weight and button placement. The Controller S was a great improvment over the Duke controller in my estimation, but the nixing of the black and white buttons and moving them to be shoulder buttons / triggers was a great move.

I am interested to see just what Sony comes up with. I think it's far too late in the game for them to have something this is legitmately a ripoff of the Revolution. Nintendo's R&D's been working on that for quite a while, I doubt Sony can just pull it out of their butt in a few months. The Saturn 6 button controller is great. I also really enjoyed the original 6 button controller for the Genesis. That thing was awesome :)

[quote name='daroga']For me, the 360's analog placement is about as ideal as you're gonna get for a traditional style controller. The Dual Shock is ok, but personally I really don't like the analog sticks where they are. If I have to use both, it feels awkward and cramped. The 360 pad is a really nice balance of weight and button placement. The Controller S was a great improvment over the Duke controller in my estimation, but the nixing of the black and white buttons and moving them to be shoulder buttons / triggers was a great move.[/quote]
How is the dual analog stick placement awkward and cramped? The sticks are about an inch from the d-pad and face buttons, easily just as comfortable as the default setting. The only question I have about the 360 controller is if the controller is any bigger than the Controller S or if the triggers were raised up from their position on the Controller S? Those triggers aren't that great with the trigger-intensive games (racers, shooters).

[quote name='daroga']I am interested to see just what Sony comes up with. I think it's far too late in the game for them to have something this is legitmately a ripoff of the Revolution. Nintendo's R&D's been working on that for quite a while, I doubt Sony can just pull it out of their butt in a few months. The Saturn 6 button controller is great. I also really enjoyed the original 6 button controller for the Genesis. That thing was awesome :)[/QUOTE]
Who's to say Sony hasn't been working on something similar to the Rev controller for as long as they've had the EyeToy? I doubt Sony would make something like the Rev controller their main controller for the PS3 just with how the games have been done so far. I already have a remote controller for my PS2 that can play many of the games on the PS2, it's just not that practical for them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How is the dual analog stick placement awkward and cramped? The sticks are about an inch from the d-pad and face buttons, easily just as comfortable as the default setting. The only question I have about the 360 controller is if the controller is any bigger than the Controller S or if the triggers were raised up from their position on the Controller S? Those triggers aren't that great with the trigger-intensive games (racers, shooters).[/QUOTE]
Um, because it is for me. I wasn't saying people who liked the Dual Shock were somehow wrong, I just prefer the angle my thumbs rest at with the Controller S/360 pad.

The 360 pad is a bit smaller and better balanced than the S. I'm not sure what you mean by "raised up." Probably for things like this it'd be best to just check out a kiosk and get a feel for yourself.

First of all let me say THANK fuck THEY ARE REDESIGNING THE PS3 CONTROLLER!

I agree with people favoring the 360 controller design. In fact, if Sony copied it outright I wouldn't mind at all. My problem with the Dual Shock controllers is the placement of the sticks too. Namely, extending my left thumb across the D-pad and down to the stick to reach it. It's not horrible, but I find the 360 placement much better especially seeing as how 99% of all games today will use at least the left analog stick and not the d-pad primarily.

Besides, as I understand it because of that lawsuit Sony probably won't be able to use the DualShock design in the future, unless that has been resolved in the last couple weeks (Oblivion has taken it's toll on my up-to-dateness with news).

[quote name='daroga']Um, because it is for me. I wasn't saying people who liked the Dual Shock were somehow wrong, I just prefer the angle my thumbs rest at with the Controller S/360 pad.

The 360 pad is a bit smaller and better balanced than the S. I'm not sure what you mean by "raised up." Probably for things like this it'd be best to just check out a kiosk and get a feel for yourself.[/QUOTE]
I'm saying it's not that much different of a position than the "default" position for both controller.

Raised up, meaning raise the triggers from their original positions, as it puts the index fingers at a bent angle for extended periods of time doesn't feel good. The shoulder buttons on the Dual Shock 2 are much more comfortable than the triggers are, the Gamecube controller's trigger are better in that regard.

Xbox S type controller was so-so, but the 360's controller is a HUGE improvement.
Although, I do LOVE the Gamecube controller.
If I had to pick between the two, I couldn't.
They're both flawless!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm saying it's not that much different of a position than the "default" position for both controller.

Raised up, meaning raise the triggers from their original positions, as it puts the index fingers at a bent angle for extended periods of time doesn't feel good. The shoulder buttons on the Dual Shock 2 are much more comfortable than the triggers are, the Gamecube controller's trigger are better in that regard.[/quote]If there was a study on the ergonomics and effects of the positioning of the controllers, I'd venture to guess that the DS2's analog placement (along with the hand positions of the DC controller) would prove to be detrimental.

True, that the positioning isn't *that* much more different than the 360s left analog placement, but given the movement that you need to make w/ the stick that adds even more strain to an already akward positioning.

The positioning of the analogs on the 360 and even the GCN controllers are a lot more "natural". Make a fist and then relax your fingers and thumbs to a position as if your fingers were encompassing a soda can. The natural position your thumb goes in is the placement of the 360 and GCN controllers. It's in line w/ the natural way your thumb rests.

DS2 on the other hand forces your thumb that extra half an inch/inch over to the lower right. Might not seem like a big deal, but for comfort and ergonomics sakes, it's a horrible placement.

Or not. Different things work for different people. All I know is they need to tighten up the DS2 sticks at the very least if they're not gonna rearrange the buttons or sticks.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']If there was a study on the ergonomics and effects of the positioning of the controllers, I'd venture to guess that the DS2's analog placement (along with the hand positions of the DC controller) would prove to be detrimental.

True, that the positioning isn't *that* much more different than the 360s left analog placement, but given the movement that you need to make w/ the stick that adds even more strain to an already akward positioning.

The positioning of the analogs on the 360 and even the GCN controllers are a lot more "natural". Make a fist and then relax your fingers and thumbs to a position as if your fingers were encompassing a soda can. The natural position your thumb goes in is the placement of the 360 and GCN controllers. It's in line w/ the natural way your thumb rests.

DS2 on the other hand forces your thumb that extra half an inch/inch over to the lower right. Might not seem like a big deal, but for comfort and ergonomics sakes, it's a horrible placement.

Or not. Different things work for different people. All I know is they need to tighten up the DS2 sticks at the very least if they're not gonna rearrange the buttons or sticks.[/QUOTE]
It's actually much more comfortable to me than any of the other current controllers, as I've never had any issues with it for the past 7+ years that the design has been around. It's actually a preferential position to me over the other controllers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's actually much more comfortable to me than any of the other current controllers, as I've never had any issues with it for the past 7+ years that the design has been around. It's actually a preferential position to me over the other controllers.[/QUOTE]

Okay, we get it you like the Dual Shock! I do to, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I haven't had enough time with the 360 controller yet to see how much I like it. I do like the Gamecube controller but I HATE the kidney bean buttons and the Z button.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']why change something that works so well in the first place?[/QUOTE]
lawsuits.

its so stupid theres nothing wrong with the design its just a ps2 controller exept the parts that stick out are longer incase someone has bigass hands they can slide there hands down some .

I cant belive how people have bitched about how it looks..its just fucking retarded to even care so much about its look .

The gamecube controller sucks xbox ps2 ..are great instead of completely trying to reinvent the controller what was wrong with upgrading the ps2 one??? owell maybe we will be stuck with atari sticks then ull be sorry.

I don't mind any controller, but I have to say that my favorite is the Dreamcast controller. It just feels so right. I might say that the Dual Shock is my least favorite. In fact, I haven't used it in 3 years because of my wireless controllers. If they do somehow keep the Dual Scock design, what about a feature that would allow you to switch the positions of the analog sticks and the buttons/d-pad?

[quote name='edtinney']I don't mind any controller, but I have to say that my favorite is the Dreamcast controller. It just feels so right. I might say that the Dual Shock is my least favorite. In fact, I haven't used it in 3 years because of my wireless controllers. If they do somehow keep the Dual Scock design, what about a feature that would allow you to switch the positions of the analog sticks and the buttons/d-pad?[/QUOTE] I kinda like the look of it(Dreamcast) but I haven't played on it so I can't tell if it's more comfy.

[quote name='cyrix`']lawsuits.[/QUOTE]

They didn't get sued for the design of the control, they got sued for the vibration features.

[quote name='AFStealth']They didn't get sued for the design of the control, they got sued for the vibration features.[/QUOTE]
Are you guys talking about the dual-shock???
What's really the whole story about it?

Chaplin's PS3 Blog

[quote name='chaplinangel']Are you guys talking about the dual-shock???
What's really the whole story about it?[/QUOTE]
Immersion has a patent on a particular type of force feedback used for controllers.

They sued all three console companies. Microsoft and Nintendo settled out of court and Sony fought (and lost).

Yeah, the US patent system sucks. Nothing you can do about it, though.

bread's done
Back