PS3 & Digital Audio Connections

Kromax

CAGiversary!
I posted this in the new owner's thread, but I'm not sure how active the thread is, so I started a new subject. My apologies if I've broken forum protocol.

Wow! For my 40th birthday, a bunch of awesome co-workers got together and bought me an 80GB PS3, and I'm psyched. For the first time since Genesis/Super NES era, I own all the current platforms. Anyway, here is my issue...

I don't have HDMI on my receiver, so I connected the HDMI cable directly to my TV. Unfortunately, my receiver is fresh out of optical audio (Toslink) jacks. Here is a potential solution: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

There are some similar (and more costly) devices on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with any of these products?

For the record, I have purchased a ton of stuff from monoprice.com in the past, and have found there stuff to be of high quality, and I really love their customer service.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can you post another link? That one seems to be broken.[/QUOTE]

Thanks--I edited the link.

Not a fan of mechanical switches. If you have a spare coaxial audio input on your receiver (you probably do), get one of these adapters instead. I set one up at my father in law's house because he has two devices (DTiVo and HD-A2) with only optical outputs, and his Logitech Z-5500 speakers have one optical and one coaxial input. It works like a champ.

You'll obviously need one optical cable and one coaxial cable to use this solution.

[quote name='geko29']Not a fan of mechanical switches. If you have a spare coaxial audio input on your receiver (you probably do), get one of these adapters instead. I set one up at my father in law's house because he has two devices (DTiVo and HD-A2) with only optical outputs, and his Logitech Z-5500 speakers have one optical and one coaxial input. It works like a champ.

You'll obviously need one optical cable and one coaxial cable to use this solution.[/QUOTE]

Ahh...thanks for the suggestion. This would enable me to continue to be lazy and not get up off the couch, which is very essential.

Funny I have a switch somewhat just like that. While it's all fine and dandy if you aren't lazy but it's not so great if you are, and I think everybody is lazy like that. Anyhow I'm actually going to buy a new receiver instead of continuing on with that.

If you don't want to buy a new receiver, the above solution looks like a winner.

I used that exact switch, worked fine while I had it. I eventually upgraded things and moved things around so it is unused now.

I have a powered component/DA switch which I currently use only to switch optical audio. It was $45 shipped @ amazon and works just fine for my purposes.

It seems to have increased in price a little since I originally got it:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Com...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1200335735&sr=8-3

It's just a tempo solution though as my receiver is outdated. My long term solution would be to upgrade it to an Onkyo with more recent audio format support and HDMI switching sometime this year.

bread's done
Back