PS3 dropping to $299 in April?!?!

yeah friend to the cagcast Michael Pachter predicts that it will happen but we will have to wait to see if it really happens.

This would be nice, but is it too late? I realize they wanted to maximize profits for the 4th Quarter, but they really needed a price drop late last year. Releasing a new bundle at $500 did nothing but hurt them.

It's pretty easy to get one for $300ish now if you look around.

I doubt they'll do a full $100 drop. Maybe it'll drop to $350. But they've been saying this for a while.

Sony is hurt either way. They are lagging in sales figures, but bleeding money on consoles. They are just now approaching even on consoles sold, and then you expect them to drop the price again? I don't know if they are that desperate for market share.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Sony is hurt either way. They are lagging in sales figures, but bleeding money on consoles. They are just now approaching even on consoles sold, and then you expect them to drop the price again? I don't know if they are that desperate for market share.[/quote]

Yet another 360 fan boy with the facts wrong.

Sony cut costs so now they aren't losing money from consoles sold . Yes they are "lagging" in sales, but everyone forgets that the 360 has a year over the PS3 in terms of being on the market...

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Yet another 360 fan boy with the facts wrong.

Sony cut costs so now they aren't losing money from consoles sold . Yes they are "lagging" in sales, but everyone forgets that the 360 has a year over the PS3 in terms of being on the market...[/quote]

What?! Where do you come off calling me a 360 fanboy?

The news just came out last month:

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/12/sonys-ps3-cost-to-build-falls-35-pass-on-the-savings-sne

It costs Sony $448.73 to build a PS3, says a teardown analysis by market research firm iSuppli. That means Sony still loses a pretty penny on every $400 gaming console it sells, but it's a huge improvement over just last year, when it cost Sony a whopping $690.23 to make a PS3.
Besides, how exactly do they expect to catch up to the 360 if they are under-selling it in all but a few months last year? I'm not playing favorites, that's just looking at the numbers.

just another random rumor.
a price drop?
yes, no, maybe so....
who knows....
(definitely not the analysts.$
they're just pulling stuff out of their a**)

if so awsome because I bought a replacement plan at bestbuy, here's to hoping to swap it out for a 80G at $300 would be awsome

PS3's still cost Sony around $30 in losses to make them. For some reason, I highly doubt they are thinking of dropping it $100. $130 in losses PER PS3 sold does not seem like something Sony wants to do considering how much money they've lost already.

Edit - And I see someone posted how much money they are losing per console. $48 and change. Sony is doing alright right now. Once they break even on consoles or even make $10-$20 on each console, I can see them dropping the price, but definitely not now.

I cant wait until this does go down, I have really wanted one...NOT for games because seriously there is nothing I am wanting to play except maybe MGS4...BUT a BluRay player would indeed be boss.

[quote name='HowStern']It's pretty easy to get one for $300ish now if you look around.

I doubt they'll do a full $100 drop. Maybe it'll drop to $350. But they've been saying this for a while.[/QUOTE]

Just EBay'd Mine for $298.98!!

[quote name='DarkRider23']PS3's still cost Sony around $30 in losses to make them. For some reason, I highly doubt they are thinking of dropping it $100. $130 in losses PER PS3 sold does not seem like something Sony wants to do considering how much money they've lost already.

Edit - And I see someone posted how much money they are losing per console. $48 and change. Sony is doing alright right now. Once they break even on consoles or even make $10-$20 on each console, I can see them dropping the price, but definitely not now.[/quote]
Based on that article it sounds like that $48 is just the cost of building the system itself, and doesn't include things like the controller, shipping costs and retailer markup.
With Sony's current financial status they can't afford to drop the PS3's price just to increase their NPD numbers, especially since PS3 software doesn't seem to be selling as well as the 360 and they aren't making a ton of money off the licensing fee.

[quote name='xistence']Companies don't make profit off the consoles. They make profit off the software. Pretty basic marketing theme actually.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo just laughed at you.

[quote name='xistence']Companies don't make profit off the consoles. They make profit off the software. Pretty basic marketing theme actually.[/QUOTE]
They'd need to sell a lot of software to make up for a $130 loss per console.

They aren't.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Nintendo just laughed at you.[/quote]

Not really.

Nintendo broke the console sales "mold" with the Wii. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo stepped outside of the box entirely with everything that they've done for the system. Console makers aim to generate profits off software rather than hardware, because the costs for developing hardware are MUCH higher than those for developing software. Eventually it evens off, but that normally occurs a few years down the line.

Nintendo is only laughing because they targeted the non-hardcore gamer market; one that no company could ever successfully market to before. When your target market consists of nearly every person in the world, it's pretty difficult to fail.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']They'd need to sell a lot of software to make up for a $130 loss per console.

They aren't.[/quote]

Therein rests the problem :cool:

[quote name='xistence']Not really.

Nintendo broke the console sales "mold" with the Wii. ...[/QUOTE]

Yes really.

They also broke that mold way before the Wii. I'm unsure of the NES/SNES years but they were making a profit per console on the Gamecube and their previous systems as well around launch.

Realistically Nintendo didn't win the "War" with the purple lunchbox, but they made a profit on each console sold. Something that Microsoft desperately needed to do last round.

Anyways I am looking forward to a $300 PS3. The dell deals are as close as you can get, and at the end of this month Wal-Mart is offering a $50 gift card again so I think It's only a matter of time regardless of Sony's current financial status that it hits $300.

I guarantee MS makes a profit on the elites now. I wouldn't be surprised if they profit from the pro as well. Last I heard, they were getting costs way down.

bread's done
Back