PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

About how long does it take to charge a PS3 controller on your PS3 and how good is the charge good for? Also can you charge it on your PC since it's just a USB it plugs into for power? I'm asking these questions as I use my PS3 mostly for BR and haven't used it for games in a few years.

About how long does it take to charge a PS3 controller on your PS3 and how good is the charge good for? Also can you charge it on your PC since it's just a USB it plugs into for power? I'm asking these questions as I use my PS3 mostly for BR and haven't used it for games in a few years.
It is quicker using your pc. I'd say about 30 mins for a full charge.

hey i need to de-ativatie my ps3 systems just got a new one. but it says i already done so within last 6 months what is a way around this so i can download my games?

I haven't owned my PS3 (slim) very long but just now noticed this...is the console supposed to spin whatever disc you have inside even when you're not doing anything? Like you're just on the home screen or browsing the PSN, etc? If it is wouldn't this hurt the disc after a long time or it won't wear it out or anything?

I'm asking because I have a game I've been playing for the last 3 weeks that I got new on release and it's played fine but today I started it up and so far it's been freezing/crashing constantly. No problems until now so I'm stumped why it's happening now. There hasn't been any updates or such dled either so it's not from a software/patch issue. I was thinking maybe the console constantly spinning it even though it's not played since I'll leave my console on sometimes for a bit after I shut down the game.

Quick question.

If my Soul Calibur V is UK region..

am I able to buy DLC for it in EU PSN (like Germany?) for an example?

Issue is that there aren't any UK prepaid cards for sale where I am, only EU ones.

Thanks

Heres a problem that's stumping me:

Lately, my PSN software downloads at about 1 MB every 2-3 minutes.

Online speed tests and the PS3 connection test give me results ranging from 15-30 Mbps. Streaming video and the like seem fine.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a problem that's stumping me:

Lately, my PSN software downloads at about 1 MB every 2-3 minutes.

Online speed tests and the PS3 connection test give me results ranging from 15-30 Mbps. Streaming video and the like seem fine.

Any thoughts?
Had a similar problem have you tried logging out reset modem then logging back in. On my PS4 I had a similar problem and this worked for me went from taking 1hr or so to download a game to 30min

Had a similar problem have you tried logging out reset modem then logging back in. On my PS4 I had a similar problem and this worked for me went from taking 1hr or so to download a game to 30min
Tried that to no avail.

I tried creating a static IP and DMZ router setting to no avail.

The speed tests (PS3 network settings test and the only test that doesn't require Flash) both agree I'm getting anywhere between 15-30 Mbps. The demo is downloading at less than 600 Kbps. At this rate, it will take 6 hours to pull down the Child of Light demo. If my connection was slower, I would just be patient, but it was much faster until recently.

The speed tests (PS3 network settings test and the only test that doesn't require Flash) both agree I'm getting anywhere between 15-30 Mbps. The demo is downloading at less than 600 Kbps. At this rate, it will take 6 hours to pull down the Child of Light demo. If my connection was slower, I would just be patient, but it was much faster until recently.

***UPDATE***

I had 20+ Mbps for a short period of time. I pulled Child of Light in about 10 minutes.

Now I'm back to the same slow speeds. 3-5 minutes for 1 MB.

I think Verizon might be to blame.

thanks in advance.

I am looking to upgrade my old fat ps3 with a new hd. I have a lot of ps+ titles pending to be downloaded. I am thinking of going with a 1tb drive, but 500gb would also be acceptable. a google search brings up tons of choices/videos/reivews...many of which conflict with each other.

I was hoping somecone could give me some tips on which one to choose. I am trying to keep the price under 100. I guess my other question is...would it be smarter to buy a larger capacity (used) ps3 and transfer the data? Any advice/tips is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

I am looking to upgrade my old fat ps3 with a new hd. I have a lot of ps+ titles pending to be downloaded. I am thinking of going with a 1tb drive, but 500gb would also be acceptable. a google search brings up tons of choices/videos/reivews...many of which conflict with each other.

I was hoping somecone could give me some tips on which one to choose. I am trying to keep the price under 100. I guess my other question is...would it be smarter to buy a larger capacity (used) ps3 and transfer the data? Any advice/tips is greatly appreciated.
Whatever you choose, I recommend you avoid using the PS3's built-in backup/restore utility with an external HDD. When I did a HDD upgrade on my PS3, I ran into numerous file corruption errors causing the restore to fail each time, and considering each attempt took 12 hours or more, I was just losing time and increasing my frustration. Eventually I just gave up and redownloaded everything from PSN.

The only "safe" method is using the PS3-to-PS3 transfer which utilizes an ethernet cable. That worked for me on the first attempt and completed about 150gb of data in under an hour.

thanks in advance.

Whatever you choose, I recommend you avoid using the PS3's built-in backup/restore utility with an external HDD. When I did a HDD upgrade on my PS3, I ran into numerous file corruption errors causing the restore to fail each time, and considering each attempt took 12 hours or more, I was just losing time and increasing my frustration. Eventually I just gave up and redownloaded everything from PSN.

The only "safe" method is using the PS3-to-PS3 transfer which utilizes an ethernet cable. That worked for me on the first attempt and completed about 150gb of data in under an hour.
Well, PS3's backup and restore feature cannot backup downloaded game data or installed game data anyway, so you pretty much have to redownload whatever you want to download for playing. The things that the backup will copy are unprotected video, music, save game, pictures and most likely some settings, as well as themes. Have not tried the restore parts so cannot say for sure but that is most likely the case.

As for the selection of hard drive, you pretty much just need to make sure the hard drive is about 9.5mm and you can pretty much get an 1TB for about $60 or so these days, 500GB for about $39.99 or something.

thank you both. I have a wd 1tb drive arriving tomorrow. I watched a couple more videos and feel comfortable with the process. I will back up my game saves to the cloud (unless they auto backup?) and then go download crazy. having the games finally available on the console will remind me to play them.

You are welcome.

Another piece of information, as far as known anyway, the protected saves can only be transferred via backup to cloud and download to your system, or via the PS3 to PS3 transfer. However, whether or not protected saves can be copy via the PS3 to PS3 transfer is only what people had said online, have yet to tried it before, so can only say as unconfirmed right now. But someone might be able to confirm whether or not it works.

If I knew things would have been this easy...I may have attempted this some time back. I only got a ps3 2 years ago...but thanks to sales and ps+ the collection grew way faster than the storage space. The install was smooth, took 5 minutes top. I was fortunate not too have any stripped screws.

I had a few saves on the system...I had been cycling/deleting prior to the upgrade. The ones I wanted to keep I backed up to the cloud drive. after install I downloaded all the pending titles in queue. you do have to wait 24 hours to access the save data from the cloud feature, but considering it took over 24 hours to download everything I had pending it was no big deal. I finally was able to play and enjoy it yesterday (walking dead s2/ep3).

thanks again for the input.

Is there ever an instance where a legit controller would not have a serial number in the back? I bought a used controller from eBay, from a reputable seller, and the controller looks, feels and works just like the one that came with my system but the only issues are the sticker in the back is gray and has no serial number. 

Is there ever an instance where a legit controller would not have a serial number in the back? I bought a used controller from eBay, from a reputable seller, and the controller looks, feels and works just like the one that came with my system but the only issues are the sticker in the back is gray and has no serial number.
Doesn't seem too weird, I bought my PS3 new last march, and the serial number on the back of the included controller is starting to rub off. Eventually it'll just be a gray bar. It's probably legit.

Yeah, it's a DS3 but I'm not talking about it rubbing off. My old DS3, I can see it rubbing off on the metallic sticker on the back so I know it happens. But the DS3 I bought has a matte, gray sticker on the back which looks perfect but there's just no serial # where it should be. I'll post a pic tonight, when i get home to show you guys what I mean. 

I didn't see this answered in any of the FAQs and didnt seem to find it on the PSN website, but if I missed it and im reasking a question I apologize. How would one go about looking how much time they have left on their PS+ subscription?

I didn't see this answered in any of the FAQs and didnt seem to find it on the PSN website, but if I missed it and im reasking a question I apologize. How would one go about looking how much time they have left on their PS+ subscription?
On your PS3, go to PSN > Account Management > Transaction Management > Services List > Playstation Plus > Then click the subscription button.

I didn't want to bump the PS3 HDD upgrade thread since it was over a year since the last post but does anyone have any recommendations on an upgraded HDD for a PS3?  Would like to retire my launch 60gb to only bluray/netflix and find a cheap slim and throw in a larger HDD in for PS+ games.

I don't think it is but I want to confirm that PS+ is not required for online co-op play.  If not, what is the process for matching up with a friend?  Obviously, this will be my first attempt at co-op.

I don't think it is but I want to confirm that PS+ is not required for online co-op play. If not, what is the process for matching up with a friend? Obviously, this will be my first attempt at co-op.
For PS3, PS+ is never required for online play. I think Destiny is going to change that (for Destiny only, not everything else) but I'm not sure.

For the second question, it depends on the game but usually there is an "invite friend" option somewhere on screen for the game you are playing. Also sometimes you can go to your friends list and where it says "message list/create message/compare trophies" and etc there might be something like "join session" if they are playing the game you are trying to join in.

For PS3, PS+ is never required for online play. I think Destiny is going to change that (for Destiny only, not everything else) but I'm not sure.

For the second question, it depends on the game but usually there is an "invite friend" option somewhere on screen for the game you are playing. Also sometimes you can go to your friends list and where it says "message list/create message/compare trophies" and etc there might be something like "join session" if they are playing the game you are trying to join in.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Stupid question....

Where did the free PS+ list go on the PS3?  It use to be a section under games... click free games and it showed up.  Now I don't see it... 

Now it looks like the PS4... it is not there....  

Stupid question....

Where did the free PS+ list go on the PS3? It use to be a section under games... click free games and it showed up. Now I don't see it...

Now it looks like the PS4... it is not there....
I'm downloading the update right now but it looks like they just removed some sections, for some odd reason...

I googled what the update was for and found someone else asking about it: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/Playstation-Store-Update-1-11/m-p/44171660

edit: I found what you were looking for though, it's in Playstation Plus > Free Games.

Yes, that is where I was last night...  It just has the big ads.  Not the list of games.  Now... there really is not a list of games anymore...  But I wonder with the cross buy stuff...  

bread's done
Back