PS3 Gunmetal Grey Metal Gear Solid 4 Kojima Bundle $400 Pre-order at Amazon

capttylor34

CAGiversary!
[img-r=4668]3032[/img-r]Update: Price now $400

Remember those $600+ MGS4 Limited Edition Bundles that were only sold by the Konami Store? Amazon now has pre-orders available for $450 $400 shipped with a Nov 4th ship date. The bundle includes:
  • Gun Metal Gray PS3 with a 40GB Hard Drive (No BC)
  • Gray DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (the game) which includes Metal Gear Online
  • The official "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots CD Soundtrack" including 16 never-before-released tracks by Harry Gregson-Williams (Shrek, Armageddon, The Rock), Nobuko Toda, and Ennio Morricone.
  • Over two hours of additional content "Hideo Kojima's Gene" a behind-the-scenes vision of Hideo Kojima's production team and the game as well as "The Making of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" documentary
[img-l=4668]3033[/img-l] [img-l=4668]3034[/img-l]

Last edited by a moderator:
Konami / Sony are frauds. Nice to see this 'highly limited" rare bundle showing up at Wal-Mart. Anyone who paid $599 plus shipping and tax should email me. You deserve at least a $200 refund. I am working a means to the same.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Konami really sucks, but the 300 dollar premium for a paintjob should have deterred more people in the first place.[/quote]

The unit itself IS really sweet looking. BUT $599 + tax + shipping for a 40gb was too steep.

Bottom line, they had to lie to get people to buy them ("less than 10,000", and "when they are gone, they are gone" as stated by Dani, Konami Forums Admin.). $399 is a fair price.

[quote name='dinobot']Just wow.

how many did they make? that initial 10,000 unit must be a joke if it is on both amazon and walmart now.[/quote]

nobody said it was 10,000. all numbers were fabrications of peoples imaginations. people were warned in that thread.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']Konami / Sony are frauds. Nice to see this 'highly limited" rare bundle showing up at Wal-Mart. Anyone who paid $599 plus shipping and tax should email me. You deserve at least a $200 refund. I am working a means to the same.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='qwerty1']nobody said it was 10,000. all numbers were fabrications of peoples imaginations. people were warned in that thread.[/QUOTE]

This was months ago, but I believe Konami themselves stated it was ~10,000 (less than 1% of all existing PS3s or something to that extent). I remember I canceled on this and am SO HAPPY. $650 was steep, almost unbearable considering they kept selling them but to have it at $400 and readily available at Wal-Mart...I'd demand $250 back from Konami personally...

Stuff like this tempts me to buy a PS3. Need to hold off while I pay off my CCs, but hopefully I can still nab one at the end of the month...

[quote name='qwerty1']nobody said it was 10,000. all numbers were fabrications of peoples imaginations. people were warned in that thread.[/QUOTE]

Please do some research before blabbering:

"The company seems to take issue with the fact that some are calling it simply a "paint job," and points out that the run of units is only 10,000, and the package also includes a version of the game with an extra disc of additional content."

via engadget

Need more proof from Konami employees themselves:

"First, there seems to be some speculation as to how limited this limited edition MGS4/PS3 bundle is. I can't divulge exact stock numbers, but I can verify that quantities are in the four digits, which means less than 10k (its actually a bit less than that, even). Once that's gone, its gone. Seriously, we don't have any more than that."

source konami forums

[quote name='leesiulung']Please do some research before blabbering[/quote]

do your own. The total production run for the PS3 MGS LEs was never officially disclosed. Read your own sources, fully grasping terms used like "stock numbers", and you'd see that.

In my opinion people are simply having a massive attack of buyers remorse. It was a HORRIBLE value back then and here we are 6 months later and they've found a reason to complain. Where was this common sense when these people knew full well they were dropping $140 more for grey shell months back? Clearly if money ment something to these people they should of stuck with a regular 40gb and buying the game seperate. Or even better they could of waited till now since they could of saved an additional $100 on the very same 40gb models [save the grey shell]. Its called marketing, stuff drops in price as time goes on, its not a new concept.

it really makes no sense for konami to keep producing 40gb versions of this console when the core one is now 80gb.

[quote name='fatez']it really makes no sense for konami to keep producing 40gb versions of this console when the core one is now 80gb.[/quote]

Not only that, but Sony refuses to put PS2 compatibility in any of the new PS3s. I don't think they understand how many people will pay extra for it.

[quote name='qwerty1']do your own. The total production run for the PS3 MGS LEs was never officially disclosed. Read your own sources, fully grasping terms used like "stock numbers", and you'd see that.

In my opinion people are simply having a massive attack of buyers remorse. It was a HORRIBLE value back then and here we are 6 months later and they've found a reason to complain. Where was this common sense when these people knew full well they were dropping $140 more for grey shell months back? Clearly if money ment something to these people they should of stuck with a regular 40gb and buying the game seperate. Or even better they could of waited till now since they could of saved an additional $100 on the very same 40gb models [save the grey shell]. Its called marketing, stuff drops in price as time goes on, its not a new concept.[/QUOTE]

Did you even read my source? They clearly stated

".... but I can verify that quantities are in the four digits, which means less than 10k (its actually a bit less than that, even). Once that's gone, its gone. Seriously, we don't have any more than that."

Konami made a clear effort to let consumers know that there were less thank 10k of these made. These were limited and "once that's [it's] gone, its gone".

Am I missing something here? I think it is pretty darn clear and that the majority would agree with me.

Of course things go down in price, but we paid for the fact that it was limited to a number of units in a specific region. I doesn't bother me as much that I paid extra for it. It bothers me that I paid extra for something they flat out lied about. Would I have done it again? Yes, assuming it didn't resurface on freaken Walmart and Amazon. Was I peeved that they reduced the price at comicon? NO, because to me that meant they didn't sell out and reduced price to meet increase demand.

However, this looks like new units manufactured to me. There is no way in hell 10k units didn't sell after all this time. Konami is lying!

Also, we all spend money on things that will eventually get cheaper, so don't tell people they lack common sense because they want to spend their money differently than you.

[quote name='leesiulung']
Of course things go down in price, but we paid for the fact that it was limited to a number of units in a specific region.[/quote]

Which in itself I cant understand, youre paying more for an inferior product just so that you can tell people you have a grey PS3?

[quote name='hhhdx4']Which in itself I cant understand, youre paying more for an inferior product just so that you can tell people you have a grey PS3?[/quote]

Sigh. That's assuming the only reason that anyone buys this would be to show off to their friends. Personally, I always wanted it because I thought it looked nicer and would go better with my other consoles.

Well, I think its a great deal. I got it for $375 plus 4 movies making this really only $300. It has the limited edition MGS4 and thats cool with me, just wish I could buy a matching controller somewhere....hmm

However, this looks like new units manufactured to me. There is no way in hell 10k units didn't sell after all this time. Konami is lying![/quote]

Do you find it hard to believe that there are less than 10,000 people in the U.S. and Canada willing to pay a large premium for a MGS themed PS3?

How are they producing 40GB MGS bundles if these were not part of the original allotment? In the link it was stated they only offered the 40GB because Sony no longer produced the 80GB. Sony no longer produces the 40GB, so how could they get more?

[quote name='leesiulung']Konami made a clear effort to let consumers know that there were less thank 10k of these made.[/quote]

Again there was no official announcement on total production numbers. And i would never trust the word of a random forum personality either because more often than not they [most reps] are detatched from the decisions made in a companies HQ. Its not like they did an official press release.

Also, we all spend money on things that will eventually get cheaper, so don't tell people they lack common sense because they want to spend their money differently than you.

Im saying no such thing. I simply find it ridiculous that people are outraged enough to think they deserve a refund 6 months later. Like i said people went into that purchase knowing full well that it was already a crappy deal in terms of value.

[quote name='b3b0p']
How are they producing 40GB MGS bundles if these were not part of the original allotment? In the link it was stated they only offered the 40GB because Sony no longer produced the 80GB. Sony no longer produces the 40GB, so how could they get more?[/quote]

1) There is not a massive difference in the internal structure and format of the current 80gb and 40gb units.....now I'm not going to claim that every circuit is the same, but the only real difference is the drive hard drive size (all the ports and stuff are the same)...and it not like if sony wanted some more 40gb drives they somehow wouldn't be able to get them....and Sony is used to producing units with various drive sizes, so it wouldn't be hard for them to make a batch of 40gbs if they wanted to for some reason.

2) It is possible that Sony had a shit load of 40gbs units sitting around in a warehouse and maybe someone at Sony had the idea of "hey, instead selling these at $300 and competing with our 80gb units and selling these at a further loss, why don't we spend $40 on new shells and kickback some cash to Konami to make them "MGS4 limited editions" and sell them at $400"

Until someone chimes in about the units they got in the last week from Amazon and if they are somehow numbered in a similar scheme to the original Konami issued ones, there is no clear answer to the exact orgin of these units. They could be left over stock from Konami or they might be a brand new batch and the amazon ones may not be numbered at all.

If they sold out of 10,000 PS3 systems in such a short time span, then why are these not still $600? They are $400 for a reason.

[quote name='hhhdx4']Which in itself I cant understand, youre paying more for an inferior product just so that you can tell people you have a grey PS3?[/QUOTE]

That is the same question as why do people pay extra for a BMW or a Thinpad? I will leave the answer to fans of the series.

[quote name='b3b0p']Do you find it hard to believe that there are less than 10,000 people in the U.S. and Canada willing to pay a large premium for a MGS themed PS3?

How are they producing 40GB MGS bundles if these were not part of the original allotment? In the link it was stated they only offered the 40GB because Sony no longer produced the 80GB. Sony no longer produces the 40GB, so how could they get more?[/QUOTE]

I do find it hard to believe, especially how well the game sold. A production run of 10k is not a big number when the game sold 5 million worldwide, with a huge chunck of that in the US. Sony might have had old stock of 40GB drives or this could have been planned way back when the 40GB was still in production. In addition, other than the hard drive and the case everything is else is pretty much the same.

[quote name='b3b0p']If they sold out of 10,000 PS3 systems in such a short time span, then why are these not still $600? They are $400 for a reason.[/QUOTE]

The value of PS3 has recently shifted to a lower price point and it is harder to compete with 360, so that could contribute to the lower price. The question should be why did they no longer sell the unit at konami.com then sell it cheaper at walmart and amazon.com? Clearly it didn't sell well, because we see multiple price drops, one at comiconn to $500-550 (I think) and from $450 to $400 at amazon.

[quote name='qwerty1']Again there was no official announcement on total production numbers. And i would never trust the word of a random forum personality either because more often than not they [most reps] are detatched from the decisions made in a companies HQ. Its not like they did an official press release.

Im saying no such thing. I simply find it ridiculous that people are outraged enough to think they deserve a refund 6 months later. Like i said people went into that purchase knowing full well that it was already a crappy deal in terms of value.[/QUOTE]

I never said, I deserved or demanded a refund. I said I was upset because I felt cheated because I felt konami misrepresented the product. I paid extra for a product that was marketed as limited and it no longer seems to be the case. I would have been fine with it had it been sold through konami.com at reduced priced until this day, even at the $300-400 price point similar to what happened to the Halo 3 Xbox 360 Limited Edition.

It was widely reported that this LE had less than 10k made even prior to the employees comment. Konami made no effort to clarify the situation and that is as close to a press release other than getting a press release.

[quote name='K_G']1) There is not a massive difference in the internal structure and format of the current 80gb and 40gb units.....now I'm not going to claim that every circuit is the same, but the only real difference is the drive hard drive size (all the ports and stuff are the same)...and it not like if sony wanted some more 40gb drives they somehow wouldn't be able to get them....and Sony is used to producing units with various drive sizes, so it wouldn't be hard for them to make a batch of 40gbs if they wanted to for some reason.

2) It is possible that Sony had a shit load of 40gbs units sitting around in a warehouse and maybe someone at Sony had the idea of "hey, instead selling these at $300 and competing with our 80gb units and selling these at a further loss, why don't we spend $40 on new shells and kickback some cash to Konami to make them "MGS4 limited editions" and sell them at $400"

Until someone chimes in about the units they got in the last week from Amazon and if they are somehow numbered in a similar scheme to the original Konami issued ones, there is no clear answer to the exact orgin of these units. They could be left over stock from Konami or they might be a brand new batch and the amazon ones may not be numbered at all.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly my thinking. This also gives Konami more exposure for MGS4 as well. Also, why was the product taken down from Konami site months prior only to resurface at other retailers at a reduced price? If it didn't sell out, then why take it down from the website? If they have extra stock, it's just going to sit there anyhow.

[quote name='leesiulung']That is the same question as why do people pay extra for a BMW or a Thinpad? I will leave the answer to fans of the series.

I do find it hard to believe, especially how well the game sold. A production run of 10k is not a big number when the game sold 5 million worldwide, with a huge chunck of that in the US. Sony might have had old stock of 40GB drives or this could have been planned way back when the 40GB was still in production. In addition, other than the hard drive and the case everything is else is pretty much the same.

The value of PS3 has recently shifted to a lower price point and it is harder to compete with 360, so that could contribute to the lower price. The question should be why did they no longer sell the unit at konami.com then sell it cheaper at walmart and amazon.com? Clearly it didn't sell well, because we see multiple price drops, one at comiconn to $500-550 (I think) and from $450 to $400 at amazon.

I never said, I deserved or demanded a refund. I said I was upset because I felt cheated because I felt konami misrepresented the product. I paid extra for a product that was marketed as limited and it no longer seems to be the case. I would have been fine with it had it been sold through konami.com at reduced priced until this day, even at the $300-400 price point similar to what happened to the Halo 3 Xbox 360 Limited Edition.

It was widely reported that this LE had less than 10k made even prior to the employees comment. Konami made no effort to clarify the situation and that is as close to a press release other than getting a press release.

This is exactly my thinking. This also gives Konami more exposure for MGS4 as well. Also, why was the product taken down from Konami site months prior only to resurface at other retailers at a reduced price? If it didn't sell out, then why take it down from the website? If they have extra stock, it's just going to sit there anyhow.[/QUOTE]

First, comparing this to a BMW or Thinpad is dumb. People buy BMWs because they are great cars in a technical as well as visual sense. Similarly, a thinpad is very thin and light which is something very desireable in a laptop. A different console case is purely a visual thing and has no value other than that.

There is no way that this is a second run of units. These are clearly the left-overs that didn't sell from the first run. Aside from the problem of getting more 40GB units, there is no way Konami would risk doing another run even at a reduced price when the first run took months to sell and by all accounts didn't sell out even at a reduced price. Whether you believe it or not, 10,000 units of a limited edition console in the United States is a lot. When Sony sold those colored PS2 units that were limited to 600 or so each, it took them literally months to sell out and they were only $100 more than a regular PS2. Charging $600 for a limited console when a technically superior version is available for $200 less is not a good business plan, especially when it requires someone to be a fan of a specific game in order to want one. It's a lot like those Halo Xbox 360s which also have been widely discounted, but even those took the theme and branding to a more substantial level. This unit is just a slightly different color case with some small lettering on it.

Similarly, lots of us bought the PS3 in the first place long before this special edition console came out in anticipation of the release of MGS4. The chances of those of us who already had a PS3 buying another one because it's a MGS4 branded one was always pretty slim, especially when the console was as much as or more than we paid for our PS3 in the first place.

As for why they are being sold on Amazon and Walmart, these are two of the biggest retailers in the world, and Konami probably assumed that part of the problem with sales on the unit was that their site wasn't widely known as a retail site. and that this would maximize their exposure. It also probably would reduce complaints from people who bought one at $600 if the unit wasn't available on the Konami site anymore. Konami could claim they sold out and that other retailers were free to set prices as they saw fit.

Look, I'm sorry you feel cheated, but people need to start realizing that all of these "limited" edition items are completely manufactured and none of them are really limited at all. Get them because you enjoy them and want whatever comes with the limited edition version, but know that eventually most of these limited editions will go down in value.

[quote name='leesiulung']That is the same question as why do people pay extra for a BMW or a Thinpad? I will leave the answer to fans of the series.[/quote]
Totally different. Most people will lease/buy a BMW because it has a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and are better made than the average car. Your comparison would be as if you were paying something like 30% more just because the car you wanted had a different paint job.

I never said, I deserved or demanded a refund. I said I was upset because I felt cheated because I felt konami misrepresented the product. I paid extra for a product that was marketed as limited and it no longer seems to be the case. I would have been fine with it had it been sold through konami.com at reduced priced until this day, even at the $300-400 price point similar to what happened to the Halo 3 Xbox 360 Limited Edition.[/quote]
Dude, the Halo 3 Xbox 360 was a SPECIAL EDITION, not limited edition. It says so right on the box. No one ever claimed that the Halo 3 system was limited.

[quote name='leesiulung']It was widely reported that this LE had less than 10k made even prior to the employees comment. Konami made no effort to clarify the situation and that is as close to a press release other than getting a press release.

This is exactly my thinking. This also gives Konami more exposure for MGS4 as well. Also, why was the product taken down from Konami site months prior only to resurface at other retailers at a reduced price? If it didn't sell out, then why take it down from the website? If they have extra stock, it's just going to sit there anyhow.[/quote]
Who knows. Certainly you don't because you're making wild assumptions based off of nothing but what you think happened. I wanted the MGS4 system when it was first announced but canceled once I saw the specs. I'd like to be able to play... I don't know... ANY of the other MGS games in the series on one system which is why I eventually bought a 60GB PS3 for $380 off ebay instead. Welcome to the real world. You bought something in the gaming world that wasn't worth as much as you anticipated. And you're surprised??

lol product was not mis-represented. Anyone could tell from the picture that it was a stupid LE that was just a color change.

First of all, it's news that MGS 4 LE is now available through Walmart. But at this price point, it kinda sucked for those who got it earlier.

[quote name='Shady Hombre']Not only that, but Sony refuses to put PS2 compatibility in any of the new PS3s. I don't think they understand how many people will pay extra for it.[/quote]

Regarding this, I actually thought of it before. I think Sony refuses to put BC in the PS3 because if they do that, they are making PS3 compete with the PS2. So, less units of PS2 would be sold because people opt to go for PS3 with BC.

This will be a loss for Sony because if Sony earns more money from PS2, and they are still losing money on PS3, putting a BC on PS3 will cause them to lose more money, and drive down the demand of PS2 (their current source of profit). So they might as well take it out of their PS3 until PS3 is profitable enough or the demand for PS2 has died down.

Putting a BC then would make sense because even if PS2 no longer sells but the games are still around, they can still make a commission out of game sales.

I'd go with the theory that BC is an obsolete feature that'll only jack up the price for the PS3-one of the biggest complaint against the PS3 has always been that it is prohibitively pricier than its competitors, and adding an obsolete feature (with the level of PS2 market penetration the way it is-either you want to play ps2 game so you have the console already, or you don't want to play, which makes no sense in adding in the BC) to dull the edge of your new product just doesn't make too much sense.

[

.[/quote]

I'll say it my brother, you deserve at least a $200 refund. I'll go even further, you deserve a total refund.

Full disclsoure time: I have this unit. I love it. Completely happy. Looks awesome and runs cooler and much more quiet than my 60gb. Bought two more at the $399 price to give as gifts this holdiay.

Sony and their agent, Konami, however, completely misrepresented this product i.e. "buy now because when they're gone, they are gone." Then representing on their website that the unit was in fact "sold out."

For you Konami fanboys, answer me this: if these units were in fact limited to under 10,000 and then in fact "sold out," how could they now appear at Wal-Mart and Amazon for mass consumption. One way or another, this is going down as one of the biggest frauds in gaming history.

[quote name='b3b0p']Easy, same way Konami gets their games to retailers.[/quote]

Missing the point. Follow me now, Mensa. The gun metal PS3s were alllegedly limited to 10k. Konami/Sony "sold out" the original 10K. If they "sold out" of the original 10K, how can any of the gun metal gray PS3s possibly be showing up at Wal-Mart and Amazon? Answer: they manufactured an entirely new run of the gun metal gray PS3s.

These systems were never sold out on Konami's site, which is why these systems are appearing at different online retailers. I do not at all believe that 10k of these systems were sold at their original $599.99 price tags. These are all leftover systems.

While I'm not one to poke holes in other people's tin foil hats, but showing up at amazon and walmart.com would be natural places for these to show up if Konami had a couple thousand left over...national B&M stores wouldn't touch these because there wouldn't be enough units (or enough consumer interest) to justify rolling out to stores, but a well recognized internet setup could handle these with no problem. The audience that would be interested in them could find them and get them without much effort .

But they could be a new batch as well.

[quote name='leesiulung']I never said, I deserved or demanded a refund.[/quote]

Then feel free to exclude yourself from that comment. I wasnt referring to you regardless.

It was widely reported that this LE had less than 10k

Im sorry but it wasnt. There were 2 references, the first was an INCREDIBLY vague reference to the amount produced by calling it 1/10 of 1 percent or some garbage. The fact that they simply wouldnt state the number but instead went to that insane spin should of triggered a warning to begin with. The second reference was a simple forum post which was less vague but vague enough to not confirm anything. These 2 sources were then reverberated by numerous online news sites. You make it sound like they ran a massive campaign when in fact it was some muted comments that were amplified by 1000 by the online gaming media.

Konami made no effort to clarify the situation and that is as close to a press release other than getting a press release.

Are you talking about then or now? Because being vague about your information is usually done for a reason. Im also of the belief that they totally failed to sell through their production run and this is all left overs. If these had stayed on konami.com that wouldnt of lessened the sting that most people are feeling, which is buyers remorse. They're just trying to unload product, they arent out on a 'feel good' mission.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']Missing the point. Follow me now, Mensa. The gun metal PS3s were alllegedly limited to 10k. Konami/Sony "sold out" the original 10K. If they "sold out" of the original 10K, how can any of the gun metal gray PS3s possibly be showing up at Wal-Mart and Amazon? Answer: they manufactured an entirely new run of the gun metal gray PS3s.[/QUOTE]

Except Konami never sold out of the original run which could be 10,000 units, it could be 20,000 or it could be more. Nobody has ever really confirmed the number in any specific way. The units were on their website long after they started shipping to the first batch of purchasers and we all know for a fact they had some at Comic Con for a reduced price. They eventually took them off their store site, but never advertised that they had sold out, just that they weren't selling them anymore. I really don't think you should be making fun of the mental capacities of others when you have based your conclusions on pure speculation. That's not exactly a smart person's way of arriving at an answer.

Since the systems are shipping out now, it will be helpful to know if these are "numbered" like the original releases back in June. That should prove whether or not this batch are old stock or newly created batches, right? Anyone received theirs, yet? I received shipping confirmation and should arrive on Wed.

[quote name='bojay1997']Except Konami never sold out of the original run which could be 10,000 units, it could be 20,000 or it could be more. Nobody has ever really confirmed the number in any specific way. The units were on their website long after they started shipping to the first batch of purchasers and we all know for a fact they had some at Comic Con for a reduced price. They eventually took them off their store site, but never advertised that they had sold out, just that they weren't selling them anymore. I really don't think you should be making fun of the mental capacities of others when you have based your conclusions on pure speculation. That's not exactly a smart person's way of arriving at an answer.[/quote]

Konami's website said "Sold Out" - not even remotely speculative.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']Konami's website said "Sold Out" - not even remotely speculative.[/QUOTE]

First of all, unless you're using some old backdoor link, the bundle is not listed on the Konami site and has not been for some time. Second, the bundle was listed as sold out on various days and then additional units were made available. That's not the same as being completely sold out and the one thing Konami was very specific about was that various quantities would be made available over time, not all at once. Konami never listed on their site that the bundle was "sold out" and would not be restocked and in fact, it was restocked over a period of months. You're raising ridiculous arguments to justify unsubstantiated claims that additional units were produced and yet you have no evidence whatsoever of how many units were produced and at what times. If you have proof that the units being sold by Amazon and Walmart are from a different run, I challenge you to produce it. Otherwise, stop all your speculation and baseless attacks on Konami.

Agreed. There were many times that the site said it was sold out. Yet lo and behold, it was available the next day. These things were never sold out.

Here is the page... link to the page was taking down but page was never taken down by Konami.

http://www.konami.com/Konami/ctl381...r_solid_4_limited_edition_playstation3_bundle

Also, yes the number produced is vague... but why shouldn't the fans believe the Konami rep's comment that was clearly stated in Konami forum. If the comment made was untrue, Konami should've taken the post down or at least reclearify. Also, the page clearly states ONLY AT KONAMI.COM. Like the other dude have said before, if these were never sold out, and they needed to move these by using Amazon or Walmart/Sams, then it is understandable. However, if they produced new units, then they clearly do not care about their fans spending premium for this console during release.

Anyway, I did not purchase this console, but I can understand why some others are mad at Konami.

[quote name='bojay1997']First of all, unless you're using some old backdoor link, the bundle is not listed on the Konami site and has not been for some time. Second, the bundle was listed as sold out on various days and then additional units were made available. That's not the same as being completely sold out and the one thing Konami was very specific about was that various quantities would be made available over time, not all at once. Konami never listed on their site that the bundle was "sold out" and would not be restocked and in fact, it was restocked over a period of months. You're raising ridiculous arguments to justify unsubstantiated claims that additional units were produced and yet you have no evidence whatsoever of how many units were produced and at what times. If you have proof that the units being sold by Amazon and Walmart are from a different run, I challenge you to produce it. Otherwise, stop all your speculation and baseless attacks on Konami.[/quote]

Go back and look at the dead thread re the Bundle in CAG. You will see that about two and a half months after the release, Konami finally posted that the unit was "sold out." Trust me, I have been following this whole fiasco since the day pre-orders were announced.

But I do not want to fight with you. You win. Konami is the best. They rule. They give me purpose in my life. I pledge my life to Konami.

[quote name='dinobot']Here is the page... link to the page was taking down but page was never taken down by Konami.

http://www.konami.com/Konami/ctl381...r_solid_4_limited_edition_playstation3_bundle

Also, yes the number produced is vague... but why shouldn't the fans believe the Konami rep's comment that was clearly stated in Konami forum. If the comment made was untrue, Konami should've taken the post down or at least reclearify. Also, the page clearly states ONLY AT KONAMI.COM. Like the other dude have said before, if these were never sold out, and they needed to move these by using Amazon or Walmart/Sams, then it is understandable. However, if they produced new units, then they clearly do not care about their fans spending premium for this console during release.

Anyway, I did not purchase this console, but I can understand why some others are mad at Konami.[/quote]

Well said.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']Well said.[/QUOTE]

Except that's not what you said. You are claiming these are new units and you have given us no evidence of that fact. The Konami link cited doesn't even say "Sold out" as you claimed, it just says out of stock which implies more could be available at some point. The addition of "no longer available" makes it clear Konami.com is not selling them anymore which is also true since Amazon and Walmart.com are now selling them.

[quote name='bojay1997']Except that's not what you said. You are claiming these are new units and you have given us no evidence of that fact. The Konami link cited doesn't even say "Sold out" as you claimed, it just says out of stock which implies more could be available at some point. The addition of "no longer available" makes it clear Konami.com is not selling them anymore which is also true since Amazon and Walmart.com are now selling them.[/quote]

Ok, fine. You win. Konami kicks ass. I love Konami. They can do no wrong. All hail Konami. Konami rocks my world. I will never again speak ill of Konami.

[quote name='BigRedWhat']Ok, fine. You win. Konami kicks ass. I love Konami. They can do no wrong. All hail Konami. Konami rocks my world. I will never again speak ill of Konami.[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm. What a lame way to concede to a point.

[quote name='dragilores']Regarding this, I actually thought of it before. I think Sony refuses to put BC in the PS3 because if they do that, they are making PS3 compete with the PS2. So, less units of PS2 would be sold because people opt to go for PS3 with BC.

This will be a loss for Sony because if Sony earns more money from PS2, and they are still losing money on PS3, putting a BC on PS3 will cause them to lose more money, and drive down the demand of PS2 (their current source of profit). So they might as well take it out of their PS3 until PS3 is profitable enough or the demand for PS2 has died down.

Putting a BC then would make sense because even if PS2 no longer sells but the games are still around, they can still make a commission out of game sales.[/quote]

[quote name='jererjerer']I'd go with the theory that BC is an obsolete feature that'll only jack up the price for the PS3-one of the biggest complaint against the PS3 has always been that it is prohibitively pricier than its competitors, and adding an obsolete feature (with the level of PS2 market penetration the way it is-either you want to play ps2 game so you have the console already, or you don't want to play, which makes no sense in adding in the BC) to dull the edge of your new product just doesn't make too much sense.[/quote]

This is a good point, except that, for example, there's the 160GB Uncharted Bundle priced the same as the 80GB MGS4 Bundle, offering twice the HDD space instead of backward compatibility. You can't argue that the reason for removing BC is to make the price more attractive to customers if it's the same price. Even with the mentality that removing BC isn't hurting sales, it's not helping sales either.

Now, people who say no one cares about BC seem to be missing the fact that the PS2 still often outsells the PS3. It's pretty obvious that Sony wants people to buy both systems, but this is self-cannibalizing, in a way. At this point in time, people who want a PS2 capable machine are limited to buying a PS2. They're less likely to buy a PS3 after buying a PS2 than just buying an all-inclusive PS3.

[quote name='KueMan10']Agreed. There were many times that the site said it was sold out. Yet lo and behold, it was available the next day. These things were never sold out.[/quote]

I don't know if this was happening at that time, but for a while, everything on the entire site was sold out before they finally announced that they are no longer taking orders on the front page. This whole thing with the price drop and moving stock around seems to have to do with www.konami.com going out of business. I think it's conceivable that they really didn't sell out 10,000 units, or if it wasn't 10K, that they at least didn't produce more of these. As said already in this thread, it targets a pretty specific demographic (probably a lot of which already owned a PS3).

All marketing and business talk aside, I finally got shipment confirmation from amazon! I'll report what I find once it comes in.

P.S. It shipped from Las Vegas, NV of all places. Not sure if that means anything to anyone.

[quote name='rukasu']All marketing and business talk aside, I finally got shipment confirmation from amazon! I'll report what I find once it comes in.

P.S. It shipped from Las Vegas, NV of all places. Not sure if that means anything to anyone.[/quote]

Mine shipped from Tulsa, OK. These are probably Amazon distribution locations. The one I received in June came from "KonamiStyle.com" in Indianapolis (same address as SonyStyle.com")

Whats all the arguing about?! Just order one of these nice systems for the price it should have been offered for in the first place. Who cares why or how many were made.

bread's done
Back