ps3 hard drives over 1TB?

Neo-Nut

CAGiversary!
All the 2.5" internal harddrives I have found are under 1TB.
Where is a good deal on a big hard drive around 1tb.
I keep seeing 3.5's and weak little 300gb 2.5's.
I guess you need a 2.5 but I want something over 500 gb's.

Thanks but no thanks on that one.
HD video eats up a lot of space
I was thinking maybe a 750 Gb for around 100.

Besides which, I believe over a certain size the PS3 doesn't recognize the extra gb's anyway. I forget what the cap is supposedly, but there is a limit to the size HDD I think you can put into the system.

be careful with anything over 640 GB.

I was reading that the currently available 750 and 1 TB drives are a slightly larger than normal (height wise) form factor, and won't fit in the PS3. If someone has done it , feel free to correct me, I read this about a month ago or so when I was looking to upgrade mine and decided against it.

also no notebook hard drive exists over 1 TB right now.

If you're storing HD Videos on your PS3 why not just use an external drive? I can't see any need for more than 500 gb, but that's just me.

[quote name='Izod517']If you're storing HD Videos on your PS3 why not just use an external drive? I can't see any need for more than 500 gb, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

External, formatted in fat 32 and your good to go.. is that the issue? Fat32 can only have what size of file though? is it 16gb or like 4gb? I forget.

External can be had for say $100 (Phantom Green Drive) and are great.

How about the best price on ~500GB for an internal drive for the PS3? Hoping to find a good quality drive for clsoer to $75 than $100.

Keep in mind that the 500GB drive will leave you with very close to 400GB after format (well known of course is the fact the drives are not the advertised size due to the different ways of reading the size) and the PS3 takes a percentage of that for itself.

I recently had a 400 GB and when I got done installing it between the size reading difference everyone is aware of, and the fact that the PS3 takes more space for itself for file system, etc... I had 317 GB left... I posted a thread about the issue as i was pissed.

It was funny that the damn PS3 took more for its file system than the entire size of the drive I replaced (40GB)....I thought I would have had 370ish available.

So if you do 500 I bet you will have 400GB or less left after the install, without transfering anything over... fyi..

External is the way to go here, it really is.

Pros for External drives
-Less 'wasted' space taken up by PS3 resources
-More storage space
-Less worry about excessive heat due to a higher RPM drive

Cons
-4GB max file size (I'm not sure how big the individual files are on blu ray movies, but the full movie is typically around 20-25GB on a single layer disc).
-Can't run game saves or demos off of the external
-Can't store PSN downloads to the HDD
-Takes up more physical space
-Uses one of the limited USB slots

I wouldn't waste my time attaching an external to the PS3, unless it was just for tiny stuff like a bit of music or pictures or something. For movie storage, you're better off just streaming it from a PC across your network so you don't have to deal with the limitations.
The external HDD features are mostly intended to be used to back up your PSN HDD for when you upgrade or replace it. It's not meant to replace (or even extend) the PS3's HDD.

[quote name='Chambered']Pros for External drives
-Less 'wasted' space taken up by PS3 resources
-More storage space
-Less worry about excessive heat due to a higher RPM drive

Cons
-4GB max file size (I'm not sure how big the individual files are on blu ray movies, but the full movie is typically around 20-25GB on a single layer disc).
-Can't run game saves or demos off of the external
-Can't store PSN downloads to the HDD
-Takes up more physical space
-Uses one of the limited USB slots

I wouldn't waste my time attaching an external to the PS3, unless it was just for tiny stuff like a bit of music or pictures or something. For movie storage, you're better off just streaming it from a PC across your network so you don't have to deal with the limitations.
The external HDD features are mostly intended to be used to back up your PSN HDD for when you upgrade or replace it. It's not meant to replace (or even extend) the PS3's HDD.[/QUOTE]

Thats fine and all, but I have a question.

The drive is FAT 32 partitioned when its installed anyway so the same size limits are there, are they not?

As for the streaming thats the best route actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS3 can only read FAT32 drives, at least on externals. When the PS3 formats a drive, it probably sets up its own file system that can handle whatever sized file it needs to.
If you set up an external to your PC, you can reformat it as NTFS which will give you much larger file sizes. But then, the PS3 won't recognize the external drive if you try to plug it back in.

So the file size limitation exists because the PS3 only recognizes FAT32 file systems on external drives. And FAT32 has a max file size of 4GB (minus 1 byte).

Gotcha.. yeah that makes sense so the external wont work for him anyway if he is doing large movie files...

So streaming it is. I think if he googles that there is free software to set it up and maybe Vista has the option built in if I am not mistaken.

Downsides to that are the fact that you have to have the PC on, etc.

My external drives aren't compatible with the ps3. They don't light up properly and make a funny noise.
Any links on good deals on external hard drives that are compatible with the ps3? Also when is amazon going to start bf type deals?

[quote name='Neo-Nut']My external drives aren't compatible with the ps3. They don't light up properly and make a funny noise.
Any links on good deals on external hard drives that are compatible with the ps3? Also when is amazon going to start bf type deals?[/QUOTE]

I use a typical WD external HD and it works great...

I use it to store vids, pics, etc.

The PS3 is an amazing device...

bread's done
Back