PS3 Impressions/General Questions Thread

[quote name='Rimmit']Did anyone else here find Talledega nights pretty underwhelming. As in the transfer to blu-ray?? It just doesn't seem HD level. I mean I've seen Blu-ray discs on display, as in the real deal and not the demo copies, and they really look good. I mean the HD movies I get over cable look better then this??? Do other movies look better. I've looked at all the reviews, and it seems this is a weak bluray disc, but I didn't realize just how weak. Any other impressions?

Also I can run 5.1 through the tv HDMI port w/ my Upscaling DVD player, however, when I try to run 5.1 through the HDMI through my tv in the same manner w/ the ps3, my 5.1 digital light doesn't come on? It works for my dvd player, but I don't understand why it doesn't work for the ps3. I've set all the settings to output 5.1 out the hdmi port, but it doesn't work. I have 1.31. Any suggestiosn?[/QUOTE]

Change from PCM to BITSTREAM since you are using optical.

I just tried out Kingdom of heaven and Xmen III, I must say those look much better. Talladega was such a disappointment. I about just returned it after seeing that, but after seeing the results w/ t2 and xmen, I belive the future of Bluray will hold up.

Also to play back video you have to put it in a directory called \VIDEO in the root of the storage device.

I also found codec support to be spotty. SD Mpeg2 worked fine. I tried a TS an d PS HD Mpeg2 stream recorded off of ATSC OTA using fusion 5 gold card and neither would play on the ps3. I'm not sure why since they play back fine under media player on the pc. It seems the ps3 is pretty picky on video files.

Anyways, I agree with pretty much all of CheapyD's impressions of the ps3. I've posted some of my own here.

[quote name='arogan']Also to play back video you have to put it in a directory called \VIDEO in the root of the storage device.[/quote]

That isn't true about having to put vidoes in a video folder.

You just have to connect the device via USB, highlight it in the menu, hit triangle, select "display all", then you can dive through all the sub folders.

Same goes for Music and Images.

I just picked up a Cybershot DSC-T1 to replace my aging Canon SD100 camera an it works flawlessly like expected on the ps3. Not suprising Since all the sony products seem to share the same folder and file formating. It's nice to be able to plug the camera directly into the PS3 and have everything recognized and ready to playback.

Now if only Sony would get thier asses on beefing up the slideshow to say... allowing music during the damn slideshow. I mean goddamn, the camera can even do that and it doesnt have anything remotely close to the cell processor........................

Hmmm this has pretty much convinced me to sell the PS3 Im currently using as a doorstop and get a 360 down the road to go with my Wii. Sounds like the ps3 could remain to be somewhat of a dissapoint for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='Zoglog']I just picked up a Cybershot DSC-T1 to replace my aging Canon SD100 camera an it works flawlessly like expected on the ps3. Not suprising Since all the sony products seem to share the same folder and file formating. It's nice to be able to plug the camera directly into the PS3 and have everything recognized and ready to playback.

Now if only Sony would get thier asses on beefing up the slideshow to say... allowing music during the damn slideshow. I mean goddamn, the camera can even do that and it doesnt have anything remotely close to the cell processor........................[/quote]

Music during the PS3's slideshow? Mine can play my songs while I look at photos if that is what you meant.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Music during the PS3's slideshow? Mine can play my songs while I look at photos if that is what you meant.[/QUOTE]

really? hmmm I will have to test. Perhaps you have to load up the song first. It should be an intergrated option in the photo section though and a tracklist editor.

Anyone know if they have any plans to make the ipod work properly on the system?>

[quote name='Zoglog']really? hmmm I will have to test. Perhaps you have to load up the song first. It should be an intergrated option in the photo section though and a tracklist editor.

Anyone know if they have any plans to make the ipod work properly on the system?>[/quote]

Yes you start the song, then go to the photos (hit PS button once, then tab over). All you have to do is press start and the slide show will play with the song behind it. Right now if you want to change songs you do have to PS button and tab back over but hopefully intergration is possible though it does at least play music right now.

And the Ipods do work. You need to connect them, then highlight them on the PS3's menu, hit triangle and select "display all". Then you can surf through all the folders and find your songs. The Ipod's file system is really weird and stuff seems to be mixed and match in random folders (the device does this itself, not the PS3) so you can't just plug and play it and get them to show up right off.

On another forum someone was talking about installing games on their HD, that RR7 took up 4 gigs. Wha? Install? Can someone explain because I'm confused about why anything is installed on a console that isn't booster or direct delivery.

[quote name='Gojtron']On another forum someone was talking about installing games on their HD, that RR7 took up 4 gigs. Wha? Install? Can someone explain because I'm confused about why anything is installed on a console that isn't booster or direct delivery.[/QUOTE]

installing helps with load times for example.

[quote name='Gojtron']On another forum someone was talking about installing games on their HD, that RR7 took up 4 gigs. Wha? Install? Can someone explain because I'm confused about why anything is installed on a console that isn't booster or direct delivery.[/QUOTE]

How would you install? I can see Sony KEEP releasing firmware to combat the "piracy" for these games...ala PSP style :)

I guess they opened it up though, with the ability to install an OS on the console.

Also, any adapters to use a 360 controller with the PS3? Even wired would be fine....I still hate the PS3 controller.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yes you start the song, then go to the photos (hit PS button once, then tab over). All you have to do is press start and the slide show will play with the song behind it. Right now if you want to change songs you do have to PS button and tab back over but hopefully intergration is possible though it does at least play music right now.

And the Ipods do work. You need to connect them, then highlight them on the PS3's menu, hit triangle and select "display all". Then you can surf through all the folders and find your songs. The Ipod's file system is really weird and stuff seems to be mixed and match in random folders (the device does this itself, not the PS3) so you can't just plug and play it and get them to show up right off.[/QUOTE]

That's a major issue with the ipod actually. Especially considering all Ipods use that file system and that a huge chunk of MP3 player Owners use Ipod. The Ipod actually worked perfectly with the 360 out of the box. I sure as hell hope Sony updates with ipod support because it's practically unusable now. how am I supposed to find a specific mp3 out of 30GB now lol.......

Well, the iPod doesn't work with the 360 "out of the box" since you have to download the iPod support thing from Xbox Live, right?

[quote name='icruise']Well, the iPod doesn't work with the 360 "out of the box" since you have to download the iPod support thing from Xbox Live, right?[/QUOTE]

I think that just adds some functionality (AAC maybe?). But my ipod worked perfectly with my 360 out of the box.

Ok, I'm probably missing something, but I'm having trouble setting up remote play. Is it something between just the PS3 and PSP or does it include my router as well?

So...How do I set up remote play?

EDIT: NVM, I got it now...it started working for some reason after I restarted the PS3

Is the PS3 totally backwards compatible or do some games work and some don't like the 360? I scanned through about half the thread a couldn't find this answer, thank you.

[quote name='Pratt75']Is the PS3 totally backwards compatible or do some games work and some don't like the 360? I scanned through about half the thread a couldn't find this answer, thank you.[/QUOTE]

Anything that requires a special controller is automatically out.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Anything that requires a special controller is automatically out.[/quote]

Thank you for the response. So does that mean something like Guitar Hero would be out?

[quote name='Pratt75']Thank you for the response. So does that mean something like Guitar Hero would be out?[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the ps3 doesn't recognize a controller that doesn't have the ps button (that they ripped off of xbox's design.) So if you play DDR, Beatmania, Guitar Hero, any guncon game and the like, you can't play those kinds of games due to the lack of ps3 button on the corresponding controller.

[quote name='icruise']I would think all it would require would be a USB adapter with a "PS button" on it, but I don't know for sure.[/QUOTE]

Which sony will Patent and make 49.99.

Just got my PS3...Some simple questions.

Anyway to make a picture your background?
How do you get back to the main menu in Blast Factor?

[quote name='gizmogc']Just got my PS3...Some simple questions.

Anyway to make a picture your background?[/quote]
I wasn't aware that was possible. Have you seen someone do it?

How do you get back to the main menu in Blast Factor?
I don't have blast factor, but every other game has you holding down the PS button until the menu comes up and then selecting "Quit Game"

[quote name='icruise']I could be wrong, but I don't think the controller is set up to work that way.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure you're right.

In other words, I think you probably either need some kind of USB headset that plugs directly into the PS3 or a wireless bluetooth headset. I haven't tried either one though.

Wow, loading times in some games have been improved drastically. When I played Sonic Heroes on the PS2 the load times were pretty painful, but now when I play on the PS3 they are quicker than they are even in the GC version. Very nice Sony.

[quote name='icruise']In other words, I think you probably either need some kind of USB headset that plugs directly into the PS3 or a wireless bluetooth headset. I haven't tried either one though.[/QUOTE]

Bluetooth headsets work perfectly well, though I haven't encountered too many folks using voice chat online.

Just got a PS3 the other day, and I have a quick question about Blu-Ray. My TV is 480p/720p/1080i. If i get a some movies, will they play at 1080i or be converted to 720p or 480p?

Thanks

Have they fixed the 1080i issue yet? I'm thinking of getting one but my hdtv only outputs 480p and 1080i. I'd hate to buy it and be stuck playing Resistance in 480p.

So i was "browsing" myspace today and came accross this add today.

e9f30a72307cb094b2f00e5da33858da.gif

i thought it was pretty cool that i could sync my bluetooth headset with the ps3....

noticed there were camera setting in the xmb... has anyone tried connecting a web cam or eye toy

Eyetoyt works flawlessly for video chat........

As for those wishing them to fix that 480p/1080i issue......you have to remember it is in essence a hard problem for them to fix as the PS3 has no scaler (unlike the 360). They will have to add one to really fully "Fix" this issue.

I was thinking about possibly dropping some of my income tax money towards a PS3 ... is it worth the money if you're still on a SDTV?

Well, if you feel the Xbox 360 is worth it on an SDTV, then I guess the PS3 would be as well. You might be better off putting your money toward an HDTV at this point and get the PS3 later, though.

[quote name='mikeohara']I was thinking about possibly dropping some of my income tax money towards a PS3 ... is it worth the money if you're still on a SDTV?[/QUOTE]
I have an SDTV and I'm enjoying my PS3...I'll get an HDTV someday

@ Mikeohara

To be honest.......it'd be better served to take your 600$ and upgrade your TV first........if you don't have a 360....i'd recommend getting that too before a PS3....there are just too many good games out and XBL is near perfect online service right now vs Sony's PS2+ State.

There is really no burning reason to own a PS3 right now......unless you are dying to watch BLU-RAY Movies.....which you aren't because you don't have an HDTV......NETFLIX does rent Blu-Ray and HD-DVD vs. BLOCKBUSTER Online which does not.

[quote name='goosedude']There is really no burning reason to own a PS3 right now......unless you are dying to watch BLU-RAY Movies.....which you aren't because you don't have an HDTV......NETFLIX does rent Blu-Ray and HD-DVD vs. BLOCKBUSTER Online which does not.[/QUOTE]I disagree about the TV because I could have upgraded my TV, but I chose to go with a PS3 instead. Although I cannot take advantage of the graphics by not having an HDTV, I'm perfectly happy playing games on an SDTV and they look impressive to me. Also, I'm just not willing to pay a lot for a TV, because it more so feels like an extra accessory to me, because I rather be playing games I enjoy, over playing next to no games on a nice TV (plus, outside of games, I don't watch many movies and rarely watch TV).

I disagree. I just couldn't live without some of the awesome downloadable content (F1 demo, MotorStorm demo, GT HD, PS1 downloads, etc.). Also, in my case, despite how people say they Xbox 360 has too many good games already out, I highly disagree. My biggest problem is that many of the popular games, are into genres I don't like and I didn't even enjoy they despite playing demos or renting. Most of the games I liked are on PS2/PS3. What it comes down to is 3-4 Xbox 360 games I definitely like (that cannot be found on PS3/PS2. As a note, the games are PGR3, Lost Planet (based on demo impressions), and N3. DoA4, DR, Kameo, Moto GP 06, Cromehounds, etc. were games I wanted, but didn't like them at all when I bought or rented them) compared to 2-3 PS3 games I definitely like (that cannot be found on 360). Although some may feel I'm too much of a Sony fan, but I'll be honest that I bought a PS2 near launch (I was an even bigger Sony fan back then, compared to now), and I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the Dreamcast (Dreamcast had 10X or more games I liked, mostly because the games were in genres I liked and enjoyed most games I played for it. This is coming from someone who hated Sega for a while, but always liked Sonic). And since I'm not an online gamer (I only play online 2 times a month), the PSN service is just perfect for me (Plus, the avatars are free and are to game series I love, like R&C). I heard many say there was no reason to get a PS3, but since the 360 was having difficulty appealing to me (I was mostly playing PS2, PSP, DS, and GBA instead), I just felt the need to give PS3 a shot. Once I did, it ended being the console that suited me the best, and I'm finally enjoying next generation gaming (for a while, I thought I would skip next generation for a while since it wasn't appealing to me). If you're into Sony's first party games the most, like I am, it's probably the best bet to get a PS3 first, since you aren't going to find SCE games anywhere else (and there's 100+ in development for PS3). I'm not trying to say PS3 is the better choice automatically, over the competition, I'm just stating how some may feel a certain console may be way better (because it has been out longer and has games that may be considered to be quality), but that may not be the case when many of its games you like can be found elsewhere, along with there being very few games you like.

I'll also add that being able to play my entire PS2/PS1 collection (of 250+ games) is a nice bonus for my PS3 (and nice because I can ditch all my 16 memory cards, but them on the HDD), using wireless controllers instead of wired.

@ goosedude, Mikeohara already has a 360.

[quote name='goosedude']@ Mikeohara

To be honest.......it'd be better served to take your 600$ and upgrade your TV first........if you don't have a 360....i'd recommend getting that too before a PS3....there are just too many good games out and XBL is near perfect online service right now vs Sony's PS2+ State.

There is really no burning reason to own a PS3 right now......unless you are dying to watch BLU-RAY Movies.....which you aren't because you don't have an HDTV......NETFLIX does rent Blu-Ray and HD-DVD vs. BLOCKBUSTER Online which does not.[/QUOTE]

Before you RANT....Blockbuster.com DOES rent HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (they are also in select B&M stores...you just have to look)

bread's done
Back