PS3 Impressions/General Questions Thread

@ Mana Knight.....
I know you are feeling the need to defend the PS3 but thats getting off the subject....

As mikeohara already has an XBOX 360....it makes sense for him to get the HDTV 1st.....and the PS3 later (Unless he's absolutely dying to watch BLU-RAY Movies....or to play RESISTANCE)

As an owner of all the systems and owner of multiple HDTVs.......it's just being honest.......

The HDTV will provide more value for him NOW than purchasing a PS3....he can do that down the road when there Online service is more functional and more AAA exclusives are out

@DoubleDown
As I quit Blockbuster Online 6 months ago after comparing the 2 services........they did not offer HD-DVDs or BLU-RAY Discs at that point as NETFLIX did......
Blockbuster Video Store?? What's That?? Haven't been to one of those since NETFLIX started their service.......do they still exist? Do they still get edited versions of movies??

I can always buy a HDTV at a later time ... in fact I plan on it later this year.

Now I do have another PS3 question, can you burn the firmware updates to a regular DVD disc and install them?

edit: found the answer online at Sony's website.

[quote name='mikeohara']I can always buy a HDTV at a later time ... in fact I plan on it later this year.

Now I do have another PS3 question, can you burn the firmware updates to a regular DVD disc and install them?[/QUOTE]No, from what I believe. There are two ways to install firmware updated:
-From the internet on your PS3 (which isn't all bad)
-From your PC, download the file from SCEA site, copy the file to a USB flash drive, then install it to the PS3.
[quote name='goosedude']@ Mana Knight.....
I know you are feeling the need to defend the PS3 but thats getting off the subject....

As mikeohara already has an XBOX 360....it makes sense for him to get the HDTV 1st.....and the PS3 later (Unless he's absolutely dying to watch BLU-RAY Movies....or to play RESISTANCE) [/QUOTE]I'll be honest that I actually had very little interests in PS3 for a while. But when the 360 just wasn't cutting it for me (along with it dying on me), I started to consider a PS3, and ended up buying one. But that's all I'll say. ;)

oddly enough, I'm considering a PS3 only because my 360 has died on me and I'm waiting on the box to get here.

[quote name='doubledown']No Blockbuster carries Widescreen and UNRATED movies at B&M and online. So, check your facts before bashing something.[/QUOTE]

C'mon doubledown....you cannot be that behind the times or that naive......

Blockbuster is well known to have "special" versions of movies with extreme violence or, especially, sexual situations that the studios edit just for them. Sometimes they would outright cut a scene or would alter it (camera angle/cropping) in some way. Some stores don't even carry NC-17 rated movies.

Do they do this as much as they used to when they were the top dog?? Probably not but the fact they even did it is enough to make anyone think twice.....I definitely don't have any need to look back as NETFLIX's anime and independent and foreign selection absolutely destroys Blockbuster Online.

[quote name='mikeohara']oddly enough, I'm considering a PS3 only because my 360 has died on me and I'm waiting on the box to get here.[/QUOTE]

After reading this today.....I'd wait....I sense a price drop by May:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=a4Jrqd8sIuJc

Then again.....GAMESTOP is already having that trade in your PS2 for 100$ credit to a PS3....

My Manager friend at GAMESTOP is dying to unload their PS3 units......now if only they'd get more Wiis in stock

[quote name='goosedude']After reading this today.....I'd wait....I sense a price drop by May:

Then again.....GAMESTOP is already having that trade in your PS2 for 100$ credit to a PS3....

My Manager friend at GAMESTOP is dying to unload their PS3 units......now if only they'd get more Wiis in stock[/quote]

Price drop in May? No way. Euro launch is in March, no way they would cut prices so soon after that. Plus they are going into new terriories aftewards because this thing is just getting off the ground. It is going to be a long time before the price comes down anywhere...

The Fiscal year doesn't end until March so we'll see how the regions do. I'm guessing they'll help bring Sony back up a bit.

[quote name='goosedude']After reading this today.....I'd wait....I sense a price drop by May:

My Manager friend at GAMESTOP is dying to unload their PS3 units......now if only they'd get more Wiis in stock[/quote]

Well, I guess it was coming. The PS3 isn't selling as well as the PS2 when it came out. In fact, the PS3 is getting trashed by its competition. Sony really painted itself into a corner. The PS3 console itself can't get a price drop this early because they are already losing a lot of money on each console. But if they can't spur and increase in PS3 sales then nobody buys the software which is where the real money is made. So I don't know what Sony can do at this point to make PS3 competitive again with Wii and 360.

All they need is some decent games, really. It might not make them number one again right away, but it would put them back in the running.

The scaling problem only affects certain HDTV's right?

I have a TV that supports 480i/p, 720i/p and 1080i. I shouldn't have a problem playing any of the games will I?

[quote name='asianxcore']The scaling problem only affects certain HDTV's right?

I have a TV that supports 480i/p, 720i/p and 1080i. I shouldn't have a problem playing any of the games will I?[/quote]

I think the problem was with HDTVS that did 480i/p and 1080i but did not support 720 i/p. The PS3 does not output the signal to 1080i because I think 1080 resolutions are only outputed if the games supports that resolution. So the 720p games get down graded to 480p on those older sets. So from what you describe, I think your TV should have no problems displaying games in 720 i/p. Just know that not all PS3 games support 1080 i/p, (example: Resistance).

[quote name='MadFlava']I think the problem was with HDTVS that did 480i/p and 1080i but did not support 720 i/p. The PS3 does not output the signal to 1080i because I think 1080 resolutions are only outputed if the games supports that resolution. So the 720p games get down graded to 480p on those older sets. So from what you describe, I think your TV should have no problems displaying games in 720 i/p. Just know that not all PS3 games support 1080 i/p, (example: Resistance).[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

That's fine. I have my 360 running on 720p all the time and everything looks great.

I'm hoping to get a PS3 maybe summer/fall the latest.

The games suck right now so bad... but that'll change in the coming months. Personally I'm a huge Xbox fan but honestly I am feeling really bad about all of the negative media on Sony's PS3 lately. The only reason I use my PS3 is for all the Blu-ray movies that I've purchased this past month (20), and Resistance. When games like Def Jam: Icon, and NBA Street Homecourt come out, I'll be sure to get the PS3 version even if for some reason the 360 version is better.

[quote name='goosedude']I love it when I'm right.......PS3 Price Drop??? It could happen....

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15103[/quote]

There are a lot of days left in '07... The system JUST launched. And is still not out everywhere. But you were saying stuff like before March/May which I disagree with greatly.

Sony should be making money on the system by mid year/late year so... In the red for the end of this fiscal year (March) and working their way up around September. If you'd say a price cut in November/December then I'd say maybe at this point though I still don't see it.

So, when will some DECENT agmes come out? I still choose 360 games over PS3 for corss-platform games. I only have Resistance, and it's decent. I've tried the demos online, and nothing too special.

anyone use the Tekken stick on the PS3 yet? if so, does it work fine?

Hey, I'm having a bit of a problem setting up my PS3 with an HDMI cable. I plug in the cable in the PS3 and my TV and go into the settings to change them and it to HDMI. The screen goes black like it is supposed to, and when I switch my TV to the video setting that the HDMI cable should show up on, it's just a black screen. It shows up on after that 30 second window, just on the regular settings with the A/V jacks, not the HDMI cable.

[quote name='doubledown']So, when will some DECENT agmes come out? I still choose 360 games over PS3 for corss-platform games. I only have Resistance, and it's decent. I've tried the demos online, and nothing too special.[/QUOTE]

02/20 Virtua Fighter 5
02/22 flOw
02/26 Tekken Dark Ressurection
05/01 The Darkness, Theseis
05/07 Lair
06/01 Heavenly Sword

also, due for 07 - Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma

that's all I'm familiar with. There's new IP as well as Playstation Network games that I know nothing about. but that right there is enough for me for the year :)

[quote name='Apossum']02/20 Virtua Fighter 5
02/22 flOw
02/26 Tekken Dark Ressurection
05/01 The Darkness, Theseis
05/07 Lair
06/01 Heavenly Sword

also, due for 07 - Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden Sigma

that's all I'm familiar with. There's new IP as well as Playstation Network games that I know nothing about. but that right there is enough for me for the year :)[/quote]

Hmmm...I was hoping for something that would push me to buy a PS3 before July, but it doesn't look it with those games.

Anybody know when the new Ratchet and Clank comes out?

[quote name='Plinko']Hmmm...I was hoping for something that would push me to buy a PS3 before July, but it doesn't look it with those games.

Anybody know when the new Ratchet and Clank comes out?[/quote]

R&C is still being developed, no word on release date.

BTW, there are a lot more titles coming in the next few months not listed here.

Shit, F1 CE comes out next, next week. That game's really tempting me to pick one up. That's probably the only exclusive that I want badly in the next six months.

[quote name='NamPaehc']R&C is still being developed, no word on release date.

BTW, there are a lot more titles coming in the next few months not listed here.[/QUOTE]

what are some of the other ones? I took those from gamefaqs and I know they're missing a few.

There's a decent shot of me picking up a PS3 this weekend, so I have a question:

Has Sony said if there will be a fix for the CRT HD downscaling problem yet? Is it even possible through downloadable firmware? I've got a CRT HD and having to play PS3 in 480p isn't something I'd look forward to.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Is there a way to set so if you have a game in the console, and turn it on it goes to the menu instead of the game starting?[/QUOTE]

no.. but if you use the controller to cut the ps3 on... just tap the d-pad to the left, and it'll keep it from going to the game. just hold it down after you turn it on.. you'll here clicking before you even get to the xmb. and it'll keep the game from starting.

Maybe they'll add that later, they added that same feature to the psp which was great.

Beginner question here:
I am hooking up my ps3 via hdmi cable to the hdmi slot on my hdtv, but nothing comes in on that video. I am being forced to use the standard cables and 480 resolution. Am I missing something or what, or do y'all need more information to help me out? Thanks in advance.

You might need to start off with the standard cables, then go into the video section undersetting then set it to HDMI output, once you do, change the cables at the prompt and it should appear (make sure your on the right input channel on the TV too).

Well headsets and controllers/remotes, you go into settings and set them up there.

Keyboards, I think you have to plug in the base station to the USB port first.... Though I guess they might make some that don't use those.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Well headsets and controllers/remotes, you go into settings and set them up there.

Keyboards, I think you have to plug in the base station to the USB port first.... Though I guess they might make some that don't use those.[/QUOTE]
I was just wondering for when I get a PS3 later this year

Hey guys, how's Genji? I'm thinking of picking it up and am looking for some impressions. And I couldn't justify making a new topic for one quick question, and I figured that this is a general PS3 question. Hah... yeah.

[quote name='Ahadi']Hey guys, how's Genji? I'm thinking of picking it up and am looking for some impressions. And I couldn't justify making a new topic for one quick question, and I figured that this is a general PS3 question. Hah... yeah.[/QUOTE]
Do you like the Onimusha games? If so you'll probably like Genji.

[quote name='whoknows']Do you like the Onimusha games? If so you'll probably like Genji.[/QUOTE]

I can't say I've every played Onimusha. Could this be one of those games I would enjoy if I go into it with no expectations?

[quote name='Plinko']There's a decent shot of me picking up a PS3 this weekend, so I have a question:

Has Sony said if there will be a fix for the CRT HD downscaling problem yet? Is it even possible through downloadable firmware? I've got a CRT HD and having to play PS3 in 480p isn't something I'd look forward to.[/QUOTE]

I like how no one answered this. Of course, this is the main reason I'm staying away from the PS3. I'd be tempted to get one in time for Oblivion otherwise. I keep buying 360 games because I was all set to get the "new" (black 120 GB HDMI) model, but as we get closer to when that was supposed to appear it is looking less and less likely. I wouldn't mind getting a PS3 and then waiting it out for the new 360 model. But this issue is important. From what I've read, the PS3 Oblivion is supposed to have improved graphics over the 360 version. However, that all goes out the window if I can only play it in 480p :bomb:.

I'm guessing that no one knows the answer because Sony, as they have since right after launch, is just pretending this problem doesn't exist (or is trivial) and will continue to do so until it is less of an issue (everyone gets newer HDTVs). While that is a valid strategy on their part, it pisses me off nonetheless.

[quote name='Ahadi']I can't say I've every played Onimusha. Could this be one of those games I would enjoy if I go into it with no expectations?[/QUOTE]
You might be able to. It's basically a hack n slash game with a not very good camera (you'll be relying on the radar at points), but I played all the way through it and enjoyed it for the most part. Looks very nice graphically and has a decent story.

[quote name='NamPaehc']You might need to start off with the standard cables, then go into the video section undersetting then set it to HDMI output, once you do, change the cables at the prompt and it should appear (make sure your on the right input channel on the TV too).[/quote]
That was it (the switching of the cords). Thanks.

For our 10th anniversary my wife got me a 60gb PS3. I'm not sure though on what game to get. I can't decide between Resistance, Motorstorm, or VF5. I love those genres equally and don't really care that there's no online fighting in VF5. I've had DOA on 360 for a year and maybe went online once. Any advice?

[quote name='PanzerNinja']For our 10th anniversary my wife got me a 60gb PS3. I'm not sure though on what game to get. I can't decide between Resistance, Motorstorm, or VF5. I love those genres equally and don't really care that there's no online fighting in VF5. I've had DOA on 360 for a year and maybe went online once. Any advice?[/quote]

If you can't decide right away, I'd jump online and grab some demos. Resistances and MotorStorm are there, plus others to try before you buy.

[quote name='NamPaehc']If you can't decide right away, I'd jump online and grab some demos. Resistances and MotorStorm are there, plus others to try before you buy.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'll try it out once its done updating.

Edit: 3/27 - Went with Motorstorm and Tekken DR since the whole family loved them, but, Resistance will be next.

[quote name='whoknows']You might be able to. It's basically a hack n slash game with a not very good camera (you'll be relying on the radar at points), but I played all the way through it and enjoyed it for the most part. Looks very nice graphically and has a decent story.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I like Genji 2 also (haven't bought it) and definitely feel its worth a purchase. The camera isn't that great, but I found everything else to be solid.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, I like Genji 2 also (haven't bought it) and definitely feel its worth a purchase. The camera isn't that great, but I found everything else to be solid.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did check out a video of Genji, mainly out of my curiousity of what it's all about. I thought it looked pretty cool, the fighting with the way the camera looked made it look pretty sick, but that might have just been for sake of making the video convince me the game was good.

And do all online games support chat with a headset?

[quote name='Ahadi']
And do all online games support chat with a headset?[/QUOTE]No, only a fraction do. Sony doesn't require it, so some games do and some don't. Some games I like voicechat, but for most, I rather not hearing hear annoying people.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No, only a fraction do. Sony doesn't require it, so some games do and some don't. Some games I like voicechat, but for most, I rather not hearing hear annoying people.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna go a little deeper with my question then. Does Resistance support voice chat?

And is there a list somewhere of the PS3 games that support voice chat? I should just do some googling.

[quote name='trip1eX']So can you still you use your own hard drive in the PS3?????[/quote]

Uhh I think so, but I think it is limited now. Don't know what the max size is though, haven't kept up with this issue sorry.

[quote name='Ahadi']Yeah, I did check out a video of Genji, mainly out of my curiousity of what it's all about. I thought it looked pretty cool, the fighting with the way the camera looked made it look pretty sick, but that might have just been for sake of making the video convince me the game was good.

And do all online games support chat with a headset?[/QUOTE]
You could always download the demo for Genji to see if you like it.

bread's done
Back