ps3 is a Casual Gamer demo paradise

sparklecopy

CAGiversary!
I have not bought a single ps3 game since I bought the Ps3 but it seems I don't have to. I realized that as a casual gamer I have only really played seriously the biggies like resident evil, FF, devil may cry, MGS etc. all those other b-list third party sports, puzzle, and driving games I never really played except for the first few levels. Now with The PSN I can download them and play the demos which is almost the same as playing the real game. For example, I bought Ninja gaiden black for xbox but never even finished the first level but I played the Ninja gaiden sigma level demo and got even farther than I did on the xbox. also the super puzzle figher 2 demo is enough for me rather than buying the real thing. sure, I don't get all the amenities and modes but I wouldn't have delved into the game that deep in the first place. With the added bonus of downloading high definition movie trailers and makings of i think PSN is definitely a plus. Also, the web surfing is pretty awesome using the ps3 controller. I'm like 30 feet away while lying on my bed using the internet on my 65 inch hdtv. that's the most amazing thing to me. no more backaches from sitting at a chair using my computer to surf.

The 360 has demos for EVERY XBLA game and has more demos for retail games than PSN by far.

I would say XBL is the casual gamer demo paradise.

[quote name='zewone']The 360 has demos for EVERY XBLA game and has more demos for retail games than PSN by far.

I would say XBL is the casual gamer demo paradise.[/QUOTE]
yeah but the 360 can't upconvert dvd's or surf the internet without a hack which is what casual gamers do more of. But the 360 is good too, I just don't have it. My brother has a hacked 360 and he's got all the games but I just don't love any of them. I'm kinda dissapointed with this generation of games on xbox 360 and ps3. I'm playing Odin Sphere and Bully upconverted right now. Hopefully GTA IV will be the first GREAT Game on bothe systems.

[quote name='sparklecopy']yeah but the 360 can't upconvert dvd's or surf the internet without a hack which is what casual gamers do more of. But the 360 is good too, I just don't have it. My brother has a hacked 360 and he's got all the games but I just don't love any of them. I'm kinda dissapointed with this generation of games on xbox 360 and ps3. I'm playing Odin Sphere and Bully upconverted right now. Hopefully GTA IV will be the first GREAT Game on bothe systems.[/QUOTE]
Yes, the 360 can upconvert DVDs and can surf the internet without being hacked (just need Windows Vista or XP Media Center).

I fail to see what either one of those has to do with "casual gamer demo paradise".

61x0isi.gif

No need to rain on this guy's parade zewone. Obviously 360 pioneered the demos and trials and has them in more of an abundance, but if he's happy with his ps3, I say let him be.

BTW we all the know the Wii is the real casual gamer's paradise/troll

[quote name='zewone']Yes, the 360 can upconvert DVDs and can surf the internet without being hacked (just need Windows Vista or XP Media Center).

I fail to see what either one of those has to do with "casual gamer demo paradise".[/quote]

Don't fight he was just giving an opinion. Let him enjoy his ps3.
(My opinion: Xbox360 has tons more games..tv shows,movies,ect.)

[quote name='zewone']Yes, the 360 can upconvert DVDs and can surf the internet without being hacked (just need Windows Vista or XP Media Center).

I fail to see what either one of those has to do with "casual gamer demo paradise".[/QUOTE]
why are you in the ps3 forums? I was not dissing xbox360 at all. I'm just stating that the ps3 can upconvert dvd's and play blurays without extraneous stuff (windows vista). I was pretty pissed off at ps3 for not having any games but the PSN was awesome. I have access to xbox360 too. I just hate FPS and that's why I'm not a big fan of which the 360 specializes in. Ps3 has built in wifi, built in bluray, built in upconversion. ALl I have to do is insert my hdmi cable and I'm good to go. xbox 360 you have to connect to media center, have to attach a wifi dongle, have to attach a hd-dvd thng, have to send it back to microsoft every 3 months. It's kinda a big hassle. I'll probably buy a 360 once they integrate all those things in 2 years when they make a xbox360 slim.

[quote name='sparklecopy']why are you in the ps3 forums? I was not dissing xbox360 at all. I'm just stating that the ps3 can upconvert dvd's and play blurays without extraneous stuff (windows vista). I was pretty pissed off at ps3 for not having any games but the PSN was awesome. I have access to xbox360 too. I just hate FPS and that's why I'm not a big fan of which the 360 specializes in. Ps3 has built in wifi, built in bluray, built in upconversion. ALl I have to do is insert my hdmi cable and I'm good to go. xbox 360 you have to connect to media center, have to attach a wifi dongle, have to attach a hd-dvd thng, have to send it back to microsoft every 3 months. It's kinda a big hassle. I'll probably buy a 360 once they integrate all those things in 2 years when they make a xbox360 slim.[/QUOTE]
What the hell are you talking about?

I'm not "dissing" the PS3 and I never said you were "dissing" the 360, I was in disagreement with the PS3 being a demo "paradise".

You stated that the 360 can not upconvert DVDs (which it can, and has been able to do so before the PS3 could. I still don't know why you brought it up).

How old are you?

[quote name='zewone']How old are you?[/QUOTE]Judging by the way he writes, I'm betting 11.
We should start a pool or something.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Judging by the way he writes, I'm betting 11.
We should start a pool or something.[/quote]

He writes a little better than an 11 year old but still talks nonsense like one. My guess is 12.

Wii is casual gamer paradise as someone said.

PS3 is media center paradise, or coming close to it.
PS3 ain't got no ghaimez!

[quote name='zewone']GO MAN! GO![/quote]

Haha, I was saying this out loud before I got to your post. I'm pumped up about the new season of episodes coming out.

You know what would be an awesome feature for Home? Take your created avatar (zewone) to an arena, drop in a poster like the OP, and watch zew tear him apart. Turn these war of words into a virtual gladiatorial combat. For casual gamers.

If you think the ps3 is a casual gamer / demo paradise, wait till you get your hands on a 360. You'll be plotzing when you see xbox live marketplace, chock full of downloadable games (pac-man, puzz fighter, golden axe, the list goes on...) and hundreds of demos.

I like how he/she is to scared to respond to your correct rebuttals. God bless the internet, pwning noobs since 1990.

The PS3 could be chock full of great games, if Sony would get off their ass and release classic PSX games for $6 downloads. The US has 12 PSX games compared to 113+ in Japan, and there's no excuse at all for the discrepancy.

For all the nonsense talk about "the PS3 has no games," if they could simply release 1-2 PSX games every week, they'd deflect a great deal of that criticism.

[quote name='zewone']What the hell are you talking about?

I'm not "dissing" the PS3 and I never said you were "dissing" the 360, I was in disagreement with the PS3 being a demo "paradise".

You stated that the 360 can not upconvert DVDs (which it can, and has been able to do so before the PS3 could. I still don't know why you brought it up).

How old are you?[/QUOTE]

zewone, I'm sure we can agree and be friends here. The PS3 is Demo Paradise and the 360? It's Demo Nirvana.

[quote name='opterasis']I don't really understand why a casual gamer who has no intentions of buying games would spend 500$ on a console....[/quote]

I completely agree with the original poster. I consider myself a casual gamer. Right now, I do not feel there are any games for the PS3 that I must have. The only games I own are Tony Hawk (it was a gift) and Tekken 5.

I play Tekken 5 and the free demos more than anything else. I am 33 and I have a job and a wife that keep me busy. I like to do other things besides play video games. I only have a couple hours a day that I can play video games. I am looking forward to picking up Guitar Hero and GTA IV when they come out but right now I am really happy with all the free demos.

Currently, I've been enjoying Tiger Woods golf (I'm happy playing the 3 holes you get) and the Stranglehold demo is awesome! I can't believe how much you get to play in Stranglehold for free! Stranglehold kept me busy for an hour last night.

Why does a casual gamer spend $500 on a game system? For me the big thing was the blu-ray playback. I probably spend just as much time watching blu-rays and upconverted DVDs on my PS3 as I do playing games. PS3 is still one of the cheapest blu-ray players. Why anyone would buy a stand alone blu-ray player for $500 instead of a PS3 is beyond me. I also did not spend $500 because I did the Sony Rewards card deal.

It is a shame that this posters thread turned into a debate over PS3 vs. 360. I am curious what the average age is in here? These silly debates make me wonder if I am in a forum with a bunch of 12 year old boys.

[quote name='zewone']The 360 has demos for EVERY XBLA game and has more demos for retail games than PSN by far.

I would say XBL is the casual gamer demo paradise.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I've had a 360 since launch and got a PS3 two weeks ago. First thing I did was hit the PSN to see what kind of demos I could d/l. I was done inside of 10 minutes. There were tumbleweeds rolling across my screen. There ain't shit there compared to the 360. Hardly a 'demo paradise.'

But hey, to each their own.

I'm not taking a side (b/c I'm eventually going to get a PS3), but it seems like Sony still hasn't figured out that they are getting their asses pounded in the online arena. I read a digg article today about how its kinda lopsided how online games sell so much better than single-player only games.

Could it be a case in which Sony doesn't have enough people working on the development of PSN? I mean, no good retail games in almost a year. Also; from what I gather in this thread, PSN isn't that cool. Its almost like Sony isn't even trying. Just my opinion.

BTW, I know PSN has nothing to do with Multi/Single Player games. I just wanted too reiterate that the PS2 network sucked and it appears that PSN does as well. All the while XBL has been cool since day one.

[quote name='jughead']
Its almost like Sony isn't even trying. Just my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

There is something to that. It's not like PSN is crap, it just seems to me that they are doing just enough to say they have the feature. Nothing really mind blowing.

And why do I have to install demos/games after I spend an inordinate time downloading them?

Jughead, no good retail games?
PSN sucks?

Stop speaking out of your ass until you get one.

PSN used to suck, they've been doing a great job in the last couple months with better updates, they have a new guy heading up PSN now who's more enthusastic about it.
Baby steps.
Really the only thing I'm left wanting from it are damn PSX games. They're sitting on a goldmine. Japan has over 115 PSX games out already.

How can you say Sony isn't trying when you haven't even been there to see?

Man, I would have locked this thread from the start.

And why do I have to install demos/games after I spend an inordinate time downloading them?
Because the processes are seperated here. Takes like 2 mins to install 600MB+ files.

[quote name='dallow']Jughead, no good retail games?
Really the only thing I'm left wanting from it are damn PSX games. They're sitting on a goldmine.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly... They are sitting on a gold mine. I would love for them to put Bushido Blade on PSN. Anyways, I did say I haven't experienced it, but from what some other people are saying, it seems like they aren't even trying. They have a 600 dollar console that doesn't really do anything flashy. What I meant to ask in my original post was whether or not you think that Sony might be understaffed and could that be the problem?

I don't think the thread needs to be locked. I think the conversation is relevant. Of course you will always have people talking up XBL and XBLA b/c it is the only basis of comparison.

[quote name='EvilManatee']I completely agree with the original poster. I consider myself a casual gamer. Right now, I do not feel there are any games for the PS3 that I must have. The only games I own are Tony Hawk (it was a gift) and Tekken 5.

I play Tekken 5 and the free demos more than anything else. I am 33 and I have a job and a wife that keep me busy. I like to do other things besides play video games. I only have a couple hours a day that I can play video games. I am looking forward to picking up Guitar Hero and GTA IV when they come out but right now I am really happy with all the free demos.

Currently, I've been enjoying Tiger Woods golf (I'm happy playing the 3 holes you get) and the Stranglehold demo is awesome! I can't believe how much you get to play in Stranglehold for free! Stranglehold kept me busy for an hour last night.

Why does a casual gamer spend $500 on a game system? For me the big thing was the blu-ray playback. I probably spend just as much time watching blu-rays and upconverted DVDs on my PS3 as I do playing games. PS3 is still one of the cheapest blu-ray players. Why anyone would buy a stand alone blu-ray player for $500 instead of a PS3 is beyond me. I also did not spend $500 because I did the Sony Rewards card deal.

It is a shame that this posters thread turned into a debate over PS3 vs. 360. I am curious what the average age is in here? These silly debates make me wonder if I am in a forum with a bunch of 12 year old boys.[/quote]

Fair enough... I wasn't trying to rag on the OP, just curious is all. Although I do have a few blu ray discs (the 8 that came free with the purchase) because of the price of blu rays, and my lack of an HD tv right now, the blu ray feature doesn't cross my mind very often.

While I was in Canada, I was at my cousins house sitting bored at his house, staring at his PS3. Why? Well, he had no good games, which wasn't really his fault since he doesn't develop games. The first day I was there, I logged onto PSN and was completely appaled by the lack of PS3 demos. Well, I promptly downloaded MotorStorm and Resistance, as those were some of the only decent titles I found on there, and I was bored with playing both after 35 minutes.

Wow! How exciting it was!

Also, as you can see by looking at my gamercard, I am also a "casual" gamer, and I found the PSN selection to be utterly barren.

Unless you play your PS3 for 15 minutes to 30 minutes a week, then PSN might be fun for about 3 weeks. Even then, you'll be really bored.

Now I am not saying that XBOX Live has all great demos, for sure there are a lot of crappy game demos on there, but I believe that with XBOX Live, a casual gamer playing 2 - 3 hours a week could live off the demos for 1 to 2 months, especially if they play multiplayer games.

And yes, I downloaded other demos on PSN. I downloaded Def Jam Icon, Heavenly Sword (This one was alright) and Sony's NBA game, which turned out to last the longest since it had 4 quarters.

[quote name='jughead']Exactly... They are sitting on a gold mine. I would love for them to put Bushido Blade on PSN. Anyways, I did say I haven't experienced it, but from what some other people are saying, it seems like they aren't even trying. They have a 600 dollar console that doesn't really do anything flashy. What I meant to ask in my original post was whether or not you think that Sony might be understaffed and could that be the problem?

I don't think the thread needs to be locked. I think the conversation is relevant. Of course you will always have people talking up XBL and XBLA b/c it is the only basis of comparison.[/quote]
Who's complaining so loudly? The OP loves it, but the OP might be off their rocker a bit.
Have you seen the actual PSN thread? The one where all us PS3 owners crowd in on every Thursday to see what the update brings us?

Except for PSX games (and don't say you'd love for them to bring out something, you haven't been waiting as long as we have), we've been pretty happy at the recent updates.

Man, this console doesn't do anything flashy?
You know what I did yesterday? I watched a video at a resturant that had free wifi on my PSP that was stored on my PC at home. How? My PSP connected to my PS3, and my PS3 connected to my PC to retrieve the video so I could share it with my friend.
I have access to every media file on my PC, video, audio, and pictures.
And as you may have seen with Lair, you'll soon be able to play certain PS3 games from anywhere with your PSP.

I have a beautiful Blu-Ray player that shows off what the next generation of movies look like. It even has futureproof features like 24fps (for film) and BTB (blacker than black), and deep color for my future TV set . It decodes all but 1 of the HD audio fomats out there for your future audio receiver. And it's upscaling rivals the best machines out there with how richer the colors are on my older DVDs.

What do you want? It needs more games? Yes, it does. As does my Wii. Both systems are lacking in that department, but I've done a hell of a lot more with my PS3 than I have with the Wii.

Back to games, this holiday season is nice for all 3 systems. No one should be complaining that there isn't enough to play soon enough.

What original games are coming out for xbox live... cause we've got plenty of psn games on the horizon and I haven't heard that much from xbox live games... not that I really check that often... the last new game via xbox live was what... Pac Man final anniversary... ohhhhh that's some hot shit there.

While Xbox Live may have more games, I'd rather have Tekken 5 and Calling All Cars than basically anything they have.

I have all three systems by the way. The Virtual Console is nice but I buy the games basically from nostalgia and for the short bursts I play them in, they cost plenty.

Virtual Console is a Virtual rip off.. and if one should seek the Dark Side of the force they'd find that they could create a virtua console of their on that some would deem unnatural..

[quote name='Thomas96']What original games are coming out for xbox live... cause we've got plenty of psn games on the horizon and I haven't heard that much from xbox live games... not that I really check that often... the last new game via xbox live was what... Pac Man final anniversary... ohhhhh that's some hot shit there.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Pac-Man: CE might be my favorite game this year. Also it came out in May and there have been 1-2 new games every week since then. So roughly 20 games since. Nintendo's VC can probably boast about 40 in that time. How many can PSN boast in the same time frame? 2? 4?

If the PS3 is your only console than PSN will suffice, but comparing it to Live is just silly(and probably the argument of someone not owning a 360). It can't compete. It is getting better, but for every 1-2 demos that finally hit the PSN there are 4-5 for Live. That's just the result of the install base and there being more games in development for the 360.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']You can't really compare games like Dig Dug to something like Tekken 5. Quality over quantity.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the demo for Tekken 5 is pretty good.

[quote name='ItsTrueItsTrue92']You can't really compare games like Dig Dug to something like Tekken 5. Quality over quantity.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Then why are you comparing them? Sure, there are no full sized games on Live. Shivering Isles is probably the closest, so why did you pick a 25 year old game for comparison instead of S. Isles, or any of the two to three dozen original arcade titles? Or compare Calling All Cars to something like Alien Hominid? You're comparing apples to oranges, I'm trying to compare apples to apples(demos vs. demos, arcade titles vs. arcade titles, media vs. media).

Also quite a funny stance to take regarding Quality. That was the exact stance of the N64 against the Sony Playstation "Quantity over Quality," which has held strong up until the PS3. In hindsight it is easy to see how the "Quality over Quantity" angle worked out for Nintendo. It was mostly an excuse for a lack of games. I was unaware Sony was going to use that mantra this gen.

Look, per the original post the discussion was about DEMOS, not full retail titles anyway. The PS3 and the Wii are the 360's bitches when it comes to demos. Plain and simple. There are probably a hundred arcade games all with demos and probably an equal number of demos for retail titles. The 360 also kicks the shit out of the PS3 in the media department(trailers, movies, tv shows, music videos, etc.), although Sony owning a movie division means they can at least give the 360 a run for their money in that area. The only thing the PS3 has an edge on, per the original post, is web surfing, which is a nice feature.

Oh well. I'm lucky enough to own all three and enjoy them all for different reasons as I'm sure you do.... discuss! debate! flame on! :)

[quote name='Corvin']:lol: Pac-Man: CE might be my favorite game this year. Also it came out in May and there have been 1-2 new games every week since then. So roughly 20 games since. Nintendo's VC can probably boast about 40 in that time. How many can PSN boast in the same time frame? 2? 4?

If the PS3 is your only console than PSN will suffice, but comparing it to Live is just silly(and probably the argument of someone not owning a 360). It can't compete. It is getting better, but for every 1-2 demos that finally hit the PSN there are 4-5 for Live. That's just the result of the install base and there being more games in development for the 360.[/QUOTE]

you know most of those demos are old anyway... they still have ridge racer 5 as a demo. Is that in your count. PSN isn't as poor as people like to believe.

People are talking about how Live has more arcade titles which it does. However, none of them are anything too special. I wasn't targeting Dig Dug specifically, but that is the type of game that Live Arcade has.

Shivering Isles wouldn't count because its an expansion that will be released on disc, or else I'd include Warhawk.

I don't know how any console that costs $500-600 can be any kind of paradise for casual gamers.

Demos are great, but not many casual gamers are going to spend that kind of money on a console.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't know how any console that costs $500-600 can be any kind of paradise for casual gamers.

Demos are great, but not many casual gamers are going to spend that kind of money on a console.[/QUOTE]

JH! How's life w/o DVDtalk?

[quote name='dallow']Jughead, no good retail games?
PSN sucks?

Stop speaking out of your ass until you get one.

PSN used to suck, they've been doing a great job in the last couple months with better updates, they have a new guy heading up PSN now who's more enthusastic about it.
Baby steps.
Really the only thing I'm left wanting from it are damn PSX games. They're sitting on a goldmine. Japan has over 115 PSX games out already.

How can you say Sony isn't trying when you haven't even been there to see?

Man, I would have locked this thread from the start.

Because the processes are seperated here. Takes like 2 mins to install 600MB+ files.[/QUOTE]

I own a PS3 and even I have to admit that the PSN is just a big pile of crap, especially when compared to the XBLM. It's like comparing Target or Walmart (XBLM) to the Salvation Army or a thrift store(PSN).

bread's done
Back