PS3 Issue and advice on what to do next

bryankasch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
          Okay, purchased a 250 gig ps3 slim from cowboom last part of Feb. Had bought a couple of ds systems in the past and a camera never had any issues. I decided to pass on the extended warranty.  Got it the end of Feb. It came complete boxed with the controller. Had one minor ding but I knew this and it was nothing alarming. Played it many hours, left it on to make sure it didn't have any heating issues.

Fast forward to last night, fired it up to play some Bioshock Infinite, I have it on jsut 10 minutes maybe, I get a warning its over heating and it shuts off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, power it back on and it goes to 11 in volume so loud my daughter heard it in her bedroom.  I take my dust vac blow out the vents don' see anything come out and I let it sit till after supper. It normally sits in a entertainment center cabinet with plenty of clearance though it does sit on top of a dual tape deck that doesn't get much use.

After supper I play it for a couple hours and have no issues.

After the first issue I contact cowboom, and they say sorry 15 day policy, I press the issue and they send me a e-mail with a rma for a refund. Now my next conundrum, do I chalk it up to a one time thing, do I take the 150 refund and just look for a good deal on a new one. I am just so leery anymore of buying a used console because of all the issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, purchased a 250 gig ps3 slim from cowboom last part of Feb. Had bought a couple of ds systems in the past and a camera never had any issues. I decided to pass on the extended warranty. Got it the end of Feb. It came complete boxed with the controller. Had one minor ding but I knew this and it was nothing alarming. Played it many hours, left it on to make sure it didn't have any heating issues.

Fast forward to last night, fired it up to play some Bioshock Infinite, I have it on jsut 10 minutes maybe, I get a warning its over heating and it shuts off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, power it back on and it goes to 11 in volume so loud my daughter heard it in her bedroom. I take my dust vac blow out the vents don' see anything come out and I let it sit till after supper. It normally sits in a entertainment center cabinet with plenty of clearance though it does sit on top of a dual tape deck that doesn't get much use.

After supper I play it for a couple hours and have no issues.

After the first issue I contact cowboom, and they say sorry 15 day policy, I press the issue and they send me a e-mail with a rma for a refund. Now my next conundrum, do I chalk it up to a one time thing, do I take the 150 refund and just look for a good deal on a new one. I am just so leery anymore of buying a used console because of all the issues.
of cuz buy a new one when it comes to console. cowboom's console price might be cheap, but it can be a hit and miss with them. Especially after the $100 trade in promotion bestbuy did with consoles, people were trading in consoles that had issues. bestbuy owns cowboom

Well yeah I knew cowboom was owned by best buy. Just never had an issue before. But with the last of us bundle for 250 at gamestop I may just go that route.

Yeah if you had even that one issue, take the RMA and run.  If it happened once, it will most likely happen again. 

One thing to keep in mind, its better probably not to leave a console on (not in use) for long periods of time, and that includes in standby mode.  I always turn all my consoles off when not in use, the heat they build up inside can really be an issue.  My consoles are all in an entertainment center with limited ventilation, so when I play them I partially open the front doors on the entertainment center to allow airflow, and I also have two small fans that blow air out the back.

Unless they are selling the consoles at throw away prices then I would avoid buying a used console from them. Maybe when they are $50 and you can just toss it in the trash and buy another.

For $150 run away and get a new console for $199 or $249.

I figure most of these used consoles being sold are junk because of the number of people that have issues and dump them on Best Buy or Gamestop.

Yeah, it's just a crap shoot.

They've been a great place to get Vitas since they seem to have gotten a lot of barely used returns lately.  I got a Grade 6 that was good as new other than missing the manual (had the box and everything).  Some others got grade 7 and 8s that were by all accounts brand new as they had everything.

I'm not sure I'd trust them on a console though--definitely not below a grade 7 (which seem to just be open box returns that were used little if at all).  Especially since the $150 price isn't that great compared to deals on new bundles anyway.

bread's done
Back