PS3 Issue. Halp!

carpwrist

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I saw a post for a 60GB PS3 for $200 but it has this problem:
Hey,
So i turned it on and updated the system. What happens is it doesn't recognize that there is any disc in the reader. IT will power up and connect to the Internet as well as play downloads but it wont run discs. I don't know what the error is and don't have the receipt to return it so that is why it is listed here. It does everything else.

Please let me know if you are still interested.
Dan

Does anyone know of this issue? Can it be fixed or is there some way to cash in on the warranty w/o the receipt?
Thanx!

That happened to me a while back. I had to send it in, along with a copy of my receipt to make sure it was still under warranty. I'm not sure how much it would cost to get it fixed if it's not under warranty anymore, but it takes a few weeks.

just happened to my brother- appearently there was a batch of systems with bad Blu-Ray drives.

I'd tell them it was a gift for X-mas last year and you didn't recieve a reciept- see how far that gets you.

Good luck, and be sure to deauthorize any users of the system before sending it in to be serviced.

Alternatively if it's out of warranty I've heard you can just buy a PS3 Blu Ray drive off ebay and replace it yourself for around $70.

This is probably ultra shady / nearly-fraud, but maybe someone else would be willing to scan their PS3 receipt for you to mail in with your purchase.

I'm sure they wouldn't notice if 2 people used the same receipt from some BM store.

[quote name='nbballard']
I'm sure they wouldn't notice if 2 people used the same receipt from some BM store.[/QUOTE]They don't care if the receipt came from someone else, they just want an actual receipt. My guess is that since the PS3 was cheap, it was broke from the get go.

I really doubt that PS3 is still in warranty, because the majority of 60GB consoles were purchased over a year ago (and Sony stopped making them back in March 2007 or so).

I haven't bought this PS3 yet, I don't want to waste the $200, but i did ask if he restored the system to default setting and he said he did.
Apparently he got a new one around Xmas and just wants to get rid of his old one. Maybe if I can talk him down a little more I'll get one. If nothing else I have something to play Pixel Junk Eden on.

[quote name='hone']I think it's around $150 to be repaired[/quote]

That's the number I've seen quoted repeatedly for repairing an out of warranty system. Mind you, that doesn't include the shipping cost you must incur to send it TO Sony yourself.

But for $350 plus shipping, to have a working 60 gb model, that would be a great deal.

This is assuming the warranty seal isn't broken on the PS3, since Sony may deny service altogether in that case.

bread's done
Back