PS3 Issue--HDMI Port Broken

AirMcLaren

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Help!

Took my slim PS3 to a friend's house the other night. Grabbed my system, but stupidly did not unplug the cords. I wrapped the power and HDMI cord around the system (not tightly), put it in my gym bag, and got in the car. When I got to my buddy's place, I could not get the system to display on the TV.

My guess is that at some point while transporting the system, the HDMI cord bent in such a way that damaged the port. There is no obvious visible damage that I can tell. I'm only assuming this is how the port broke because of the timing of the situation. Now, before anyone asks me to test obvious things, I'm pretty sure I've trouble'shot' all variations of testing what is actually wrong.

I've tried different TV's, different HDMI ports on those TV's, different HDMI cords on different ports on different TV's, powering the system completely ON/OFF, cleaning the dust/calcium buildup on the HDMI port on PS3 and TV, etc etc etc etc. I have even walked through Sony support.

I can still use Component cables and use all PS3 functionality with that, but I am picky about my gaming/blu movie watching experience and I can definitely tell a difference in resolution, color, and clarity in Component vs HDMI.

So in conclusion, I'm pretty confident in saying that my HDMI port on my PS3 has gone bad. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there a solution? Can I replace JUST the HDMI port myself? Of course this happens literally within the month AFTER my warranty has expired. Sony offered their repair services for $100. fuck that. I can't justify putting $100 into this PS3 when (1) I have 2 systems and (2) PS4 comes out this holiday. I may fork over the $100 if I absolutely have no other option, but I'd like to explore those first. I'm a big gamer so 2 systems are a must--one in a main living area and the other in the bedroom, both of which I have 1080p 40" and 51" flat screens.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this issue please enlighten me. I'm semi-tech savvy when it comes to dismantling electronics.

Please and thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']Warranty doesn't cover damage caused by the user, so it won't matter anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I was clear in pointing out that I was out of the warranty period. But thanks. I'm asking for DIY fixes so I don't have to spend $100 to send it for repair.

You didn't mention holding the power button for 8 seconds or so to do a hard reset. Try it if you haven't. If you have a tv that has a dvi port, try a hdmi to dvi cable just to see if it works.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']You didn't mention holding the power button for 8 seconds or so to do a hard reset. Try it if you haven't. If you have a tv that has a dvi port, try a hdmi to dvi cable just to see if it works.[/QUOTE]

Hard reset was attempted but did not end up working. Actually, when I was on the phone with Sony they walked be through resetting the PS3 all the way into safe mode. That didn't work either. The DVI option was a good call, thanks-- tried that tonight but no bones. Since that test failed, it only further confirmed it's on my PS3's end, not the TV. Correct?

[quote name='AirMcLaren']Since that test failed, it only further confirmed it's on my PS3's end, not the TV. Correct?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much... I mean till you put a known good HDMI device (and known good HDMI cable) to that TV there is always a chance it could be something else... I just highly, highly, doubt that.

As for fixing the HDMI port... Its not an easy fix.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12179795_repair-broken-hdmi-ports-tv.html

Good luck. :)

I own a PS3 with this same exact issue. It really isn't worth trying to fix it. I had a local company quote me $150 to fix it. I figured I would just go buy a new PS3 before I do that. That was how I acquired my second PS3 slim for the living room and put the broken HDMI PS3 in my bedroom so I can go on Amazon Video to watch movies with the wife.

This might be worth trying: try plugging in the HDMI and then pulling it out slightly, so that there's a half millimeter (yes, millimeter) gap between the plastic part of the HDMI and system itself. If that doesn't work, try wiggling it after you plug it in.

I had a loose video connection on my old PS2 slim and doing that work. Of course, the PS2's outputs were analog and I'm not sure if this impacts digital connections like HDMI.

The HDMI port has likely broken off one of the surface mount connections.

1) Open PS3.
2) Clear solder off connections.
3) Resolder port to board.

bread's done
Back