PS3 issue when playing certain games

I've been playing a ton of BF 1943 lately and when I've been playing for a lil while I notice that occasionally some sections of the screen 'wink out' for a second. That is, a big section of pixels turn into a black box for a second or so. Originally it was just happening towards the top of my screen in one spot, but now I'm noticing it in other spots lower on the screen.

This issue also pops up when I'm playing GTA IV or the Episodes in multiplayer and the game is set to cloudy/foggy.

Every other game works decently on my PS3 besides those two which give me the aforementioned problem.

Do you guys think it might be an HDMI issue by any chance? I'm using one of the official Sony brand HDMI cables that I got from a cheap clearance a while ago.

Before this my prior PS3 that I sold to my one buddy had the same issue when I was playing on a smaller screen via HDMI as well. So I'm guessing that it's either the cable or the PS3s just don't like those two games very much.:lol:

Just think, ff only you had a spare HDMI cable laying around to test it with you could eliminate the cable as a cause AND you might not be banned from GS. ;)

Could be a HDMI problem where the signal is getting corrupted along the cable. I would suggest just ordering a cheap one from Amazon and test it because then worse case scenario is that you have spent $4 for a spare HDMI cable, and have eliminated the theory that the HDMI cable is to blame as well.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Just think, ff only you had a spare HDMI cable laying around to test it with you could eliminate the cable as a cause AND you might not be banned from GS. ;)[/QUOTE]
Actually I still have a handful of those $1 HDMi cables I could test out. Not to mention I picked up some of the same Sony brand ones on super cheap clearance when Blockbuster got rid of their general merchandise for 90% off. I also have some 25 foot ones that only cost me around $1.49 from them that I could test out.:D

I tried unplugging and plugging back in the current HDMI cable and that didn't help. Although I forget exactly how you're supposed to do that to get it to 'reset', as I did it when it was off.

If you have an older (fat) PS3, it could be that the GPU is overheating and causing artifacting. I have the same problem with my launch 60GB, but much worse.

For me, Skyrim randomly turns some walls green. Castlevania causes random spikes of polygons to appear from people or monsters.
Personally, I'm just trying to hold off until PS4 comes out so I don't have to buy another PS3.

You may want to make sure the vents on your system are all clear of dust and that the system is in an open area.

I'm not so sure it's a hardware problem.

I've played my fair share of DICE games over the last few years and have noticed a few bugs here and there -- among them is something akin to what IATCG describes, like screen flickering, although in certain games it seems to have a certain shade of green. I have no idea if this is unique to one game (I seem to recall it happening more often with Bad Company 1, though that's probably because I put in more playing time with that one compared to others), but I could swear that it happens while playing different DICE titles.

Although I don't think I've ever seen the same or similar thing happen while playing GTA 4 on PS3, so take my words with a grain of salt (which you should all be doing anyway ;)).

If it is a hardware problem, I like reiji's theory that it's the GPU struggling to keep up with the graphic demand.

If it happened on more than one system on different tvs, then it sounds like the cable. Switch it up and see what happens.

[quote name='reiji']If you have an older (fat) PS3, it could be that the GPU is overheating and causing artifacting. I have the same problem with my launch 60GB, but much worse.

For me, Skyrim randomly turns some walls green. Castlevania causes random spikes of polygons to appear from people or monsters.
Personally, I'm just trying to hold off until PS4 comes out so I don't have to buy another PS3.

You may want to make sure the vents on your system are all clear of dust and that the system is in an open area.[/QUOTE]
I cleaned the vents just about an hour or two ago to try and resolve these issues. Although like I said, it only really happens with those two games(BF1943 & GTA IV). I'll definitely have to switch cables though just to be certain.

The funny thing is, if I make a GTA IV free mode with clear skies and no foggy/rainy/cloudy conditions I have ZERO issues with the picture.

Hopefully if this rumored PS3 super slim is announced at Gamescom Sony is smart enough to put the power supply external finally and maybe make a top loading disc drive, so at least if a system does go kablooie on you your game/movie/whatever isn't stuck in the drive.

I haven't played GTA in something like 2-3 weeks now, but I'm still playing BF1943 and the pixel issue is still going on with that game.

Moreover, when I started BF1943 up last night the whole screen went to almost a static white noise screen for a second or so before showing the loading trophies screen.

The other night when I was playing Mercenaries 2, I noticed that the texture for the water in the game or rather the shininess/reflective surface of it kept going dull and coming back to reflective. Not only that but when I was doing the one race/mission I got what appeared to be a wall of pixels that blocked my path for a second or two. It basically looked like the game kinda scrambled a lil bit for a second or two.

I'm more than likely going to try using a component cable for the PS3 and see if that resolves these issues. If not, then I fear it may be the system going on me.:cry::whistle2:#

No.:lol: But I will look for a PS3 component cable while out and then likely try that. I'll probably try the local game store first to see if they'll sell me one for $4 or something rather than looking all over for one on clearance.

I would just hook it up using the S-video & composite cable I have that I got from a Movie Gallery closing for $.30, but my TV doesn't have an S-Video port on it so I'd have to run it through my one multi device switch(which only has composite ports for the main hookups).

bread's done
Back