PS3 JRPG's?

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!
I am a big fan of RPGs but have absolutely ZERO expereince with any of the JRPG's on the PS3. Anyways, I have been itching for a good RPG as of late and since nothing is really available that I havent already played, I figured I would delve into the PS3's JRPG selection. I went on Amazon to check out some titles and was throughly overwhelmed. There are like 6 Atelier titles alone, and I have no idea if they are sequels, stand alone games, should be played in some kind of order, which ones are better than others, especially for someone like me just starting out in the genre. And that is just with the Atelier titles, there are lots of other choices as well. 

Anyways, I figured I would hop on here and defer to people that had some expereince with these kinds of games. What title would you guys recommend I start off with?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with Tales of Xillia or wait for Symphonia when it comes out the tales games are pretty fun and a good starting point. Graces F is a hit or miss for some people. 

My favorite JRPG last/this gen was Resonance of Fate I am in the minority but I felt albeit its weird story it was refreshing to have something not 100% turn based and an interesting fighting system. 

I did not like Graces f, but I have Ni No Kuni and Xilia in my backlog and have heard that both are terrific.

Resonance is also my favorite PS3 jrpg.  Xillia, Ni No Kuni, and Star Ocean 4 are good choices. 

I didn't really enjoy FF XIII series or Tales of Grace F. Time and Eternity and mugen souls are awful.  Ar Tonlico 3 and Ateleir were kind of bland/average for me. Hyperdimension Neptunia were pretty dope.  

EDIT:  Ahh I forgot Valkyrie Chronicles.  That's a great 3rd person jrpg.

I would go with Tales of Xillia or wait for Symphonia when it comes out the tales games are pretty fun and a good starting point. Graces F is a hit or miss for some people.

My favorite JRPG last/this gen was Resonance of Fate I am in the minority but I felt albeit its weird story it was refreshing to have something not 100% turn based and an interesting fighting system.

Actually, I played Resonance of Fate a few years back on the 360. I forgot all about that title. I really enjoyed it. I guess I am not a complete newbie after all. I did see Tales of Xillia on Amazon. That was definitely one of the titles I was looking at. I am more about quality story and great characters than I am about amazing combat. With that in mind, would you still suggest Tales of Xillia?

I am currently replaying FInal Fantasy VII on my PS3 and have thouroughly enjoyed it thus far. I am almost done tho and want to play something new after I finish up. I do have to admit, I was really blown away by all of the classics that were available through Sony's Online store. While I have owned a PS3 for almost 4 years now, I have primarily been an XBox user this generation and didnt really keep up to date on the offerings on Sony's Online Store. Then like 6 weeks back I spent like an hour going thorugh everything and was really blown away at all of the great PS One classics they had available. I immeditaly purchased all of the Final Fantasy titles and jumped into VII right away. Its amazing that a game played so long ago can still be so familiar.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just placed an order from Amazon and purchased Tales of Xillia, Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni. All of them have very high ratings on amazon so I figure I cant go wrong with any of them. The best part about it is these were all the cheaper titles too. It was the Atelier titles that were more expensive. I figure I will flip a coin to figure out which one I play first. 

Just for future reference, is there a particular order that one would play the Atelier titles? Are they all completely separate games with different characters or are they all connected and supposed to be played in a partciualr order? If i were going to go that route, what would be the first Atelier title I should play?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just placed an order from Amazon and purchased Tales of Xillia, Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni. All of them have very high ratings on amazon so I figure I cant go wrong with any of them. The best part about it is these were all the cheaper titles too. It was the Atelier titles that were more expensive. I figure I will flip a coin to figure out which one I play first.

Just for future reference, is there a particular order that one would play the Atelier titles? Are they all completely separate games with different characters or are they all connected and supposed to be played in a partciualr order? If i were going to go that route, what would be the first Atelier title I should play?
if you don't care about complete artwork, and manuals. you should of just ordered from bestbuy b2g1 sale this week, save you some money

So reading your post in the FFXIII: LR I would say to stay clear of the Atelier series. The entire game is time sensitive. The games are very craft heavy.

Here are my top 5:
Resonance of Fate (you already played)
Valkyria Chronicles
Tales of Vesperia (if you can read Kanji or JP then definitely get this one expensive but well worth it)
Demon's Souls
Eternal Sonata

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just placed an order from Amazon and purchased Tales of Xillia, Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni. All of them have very high ratings on amazon so I figure I cant go wrong with any of them. The best part about it is these were all the cheaper titles too. It was the Atelier titles that were more expensive. I figure I will flip a coin to figure out which one I play first.

Three very good choices. Eternal Sonata is good too, but you may have played it on 360 like Resonance of Fate or Star Ocean 4?

As for the Atelier series, it started on PS2 with Atelier Iris 1, 2, and 3 as a trilogy. I think the PS2 Mana Khemia games were side stories? Then the PS3 trilogy came out in order: Rorona, Totori, then Meruru. There is a new separate trilogy with a new publisher now, starting with Ayesha, Escha & Logy, then 3rd TBA.

if you don't care about complete artwork, and manuals. you should of just ordered from bestbuy b2g1 sale this week, save you some money
Thanks for the heads up, but I don't buy used games. I have never been able to come to terms with the fact that game developers don't see a single penny from used games sales. If companies like Best Buy and Gamestop were to cut developers in on the profits, even if it were just a small amount like say 5%, I would feel much better about buying games used. The way things are now, I just can't bring myself to do it. Thanks again for the heads up tho, it is appreciated.

So reading your post in the FFXIII: LR I would say to stay clear of the Atelier series. The entire game is time sensitive. The games are very craft heavy.

Here are my top 5:
Resonance of Fate (you already played)
Valkyria Chronicles
Tales of Vesperia (if you can read Kanji or JP then definitely get this one expensive but well worth it)
Demon's Souls
Eternal Sonata
Now that is a damn shame. Well, at least I found out now and not after I purchased one of the titles. Maybe I can rent a copy one day and see if the gameplay style suits me or not. Thanks for the heads up!

Three very good choices. Eternal Sonata is good too, but you may have played it on 360 like Resonance of Fate or Star Ocean 4?

As for the Atelier series, it started on PS2 with Atelier Iris 1, 2, and 3 as a trilogy. I think the PS2 Mana Khemia games were side stories? Then the PS3 trilogy came out in order: Rorona, Totori, then Meruru. There is a new separate trilogy with a new publisher now, starting with Ayesha, Escha & Logy, then 3rd TBA.
Wow, must be a popular series to be so long lived and have so many different titles. Thanks for the info! It was really confusing trying to figure out what was what with all of those Atelier titles on Amazon. I haven't played Eternal Sonata, but the game sounded familiar so I went and checked my 360 games and sure enough, I actually own it. It just got buried in the nightmare that is my backlog. I knew it sounded familiar. I moved it to the front row and will definitely check it out in the coming weeks.

Thanks again everyone for all of the info. It was definitely a lot of help.

bread's done
Back