PS3 Logitech Harmony adaptor $39.99 ($20 price drop) free shipping @ Amazon.com

h3llbring3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-PlayStation-3/dp/B00267S7XW/ref=sr_1_1

41MWPPPjPRL._AA300_.jpg

This is great, especially for CAG's Buzz Agents that picked-up a free Harmony One.

[quote name='ryushe']What...does it do?[/QUOTE]
Works with any Harmony Remote for one-touch control of DVD's, Blu-Ray Disc movies and more on PS3. Supports all 51 PS3 commands to allow you to control XrossMediaBar (XMB), DVD and Blu-Ray Disc movies and all other console functions, including power on and off. Bluetooth wireless link keeps valuable PS3 ports available for other controllers. Simple guided online set-up walks you through the process of configuring the remote for your PS3. Always-On AC power. The adapter is always ready for input. When you press a button on your remote, your PS3 responds right away.
- Amazon.com

If you have/use any of the harmony remotes, you can use it (with out using one of the generic IR remote dongle work-a-rounds) to enable your PS3.

If you use one of the advanced Logitech remotes you know why you need this (the smart remotes are great for wives and kids trying to use a complicated HT setup. The remote simplfies commands. For example pressing "Play Blu-ray" will power on the TV, change its input selection, power on and change your stereo/receivers input to match, and then turn on your PS3; Kind of like a macro.)

So they want you to pay $40 for a dongle to make your universal remote universal?
That seems downright devious.

[quote name='nnickers']So they want you to pay $40 for a dongle to make your universal remote universal?
That seems downright devious.[/QUOTE]
It was $60. Many of the remotes this is made for are in the $200 range. There is a cheaper work around (Buy cheap generic PS3 remote. Use IR dongle. Program Harmony. Throw away generic remote.) It is not 100% functional and has been less than satisfactory in its implementation, IMHO. This is a much more turnkey and useful option.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']If you have/use any of the harmony remotes, you can use it (with out using one of the generic IR remote dongle work-a-rounds) to enable your PS3.

If you use one of the advanced Logitech remotes you know why you need this (the smart remotes are great for wives and kids trying to use a complicated HT setup. The remote simplfies commands. For example pressing "Play Blu-ray" will power on the TV, change its input selection, power on and change your stereo/receivers input to match, and then turn on your PS3; Kind of like a macro.)[/QUOTE]Thanks?

[quote name='ryushe']Thanks?[/QUOTE]
If you don't have a Harmony remote (the reason I posted this is several CAGs got free Harmony Ones from BzzAgent) then this is useless.

The product launched at a ridiculous $60 price point, when most of us thought $30-$40 was the sweet spot for a true blue-tooth adapter with full-functionality.
It's a welcome price drop for those who need this.

[quote name='nnickers']So they want you to pay $40 for a dongle to make your universal remote universal?
That seems downright devious.[/QUOTE]

while normally i would agree, its because the remotes lack bluetooth which the ps3 uses, thats what the adapter does changes IR to BT

as far as the price not bad, I bought mine for 50 and I dont regret it. There is some random lag but probably the best feature is if you click off it will auto turn your ps3 off, same with swaping from game to tv... I personally like this feature and saves time if i was watching a movie or something or just dont want to find my controller XD

[quote name='admiralvic']while normally i would agree, its because the remotes lack bluetooth which the ps3 uses, thats what the adapter does changes IR to BT

as far as the price not bad, I bought mine for 50 and I dont regret it. There is some random lag but probably the best feature is if you click off it will auto turn your ps3 off, same with swaping from game to tv... I personally like this feature and saves time if i was watching a movie or something or just dont want to find my controller XD[/QUOTE]

. . and unlike the OEM Sony remote the Harmonies won't automatically turn your PS3 on if you accidentally touch any button.

I bought this day one, works perfect! controlling the PS3 w/ the Harmony makes it so easy that once hooked up, my wife was no longer worried about watching Blu Rays and/or calling me everytime she needed to figure out how to start the movie!!

My only problem is that say you initiate Watch BD, then switch to say Watch TV, the PS3 shuts off about 1 in 20 times, as it should. The other downside (again at least for me) is that unless you power the whole system down, have gone from Watch BD, to Watch TV, then say Watch DVD, no matter what the PS3 always powers back up when you run another activity..ehhhhhhhhhh

[quote name='Scorch']I'll wait for $20. I've got a Harmony 1100 and this would be perfect.[/QUOTE]

I feel about the same, maybe at 30. My PS3 just YLOD so after exploring my options I may be doing surgery on it myself if I can't find a better local option here in Atlanta.

[quote name='RobotSimp']
edit: i guess this doesnt have the ability power on/off the ps3 though :/[/QUOTE]

The logitech solution is the ONLY non-bluetooth (though this adapter uses bluetooth) way to remotely power on the PS3. I think that's worth $40 to a lot of people.

Having not used one myself my question is does it change all of the remote functions to bluetooth signals, or just the Power On/Off? It has to be plugged in like other IR dongles, I'm just curious I guess because of interference issues.

[quote name='RobotSimp']for cheapies, you can always buy a nyko blu wave for 11 bucks and use the usb IR dongle that comes with it

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Blu-Wave-..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281966993&sr=8-2

edit: i guess this doesnt have the ability power on/off the ps3 though :/[/QUOTE]

This is what I use, and it works well. Turning on the PS3 isn't a big deal, since I just either turn it on with a controller or by pressing the power button when I insert a Blu-ray. Then you can turn it off through the XMB.

The only problem I have with it is that when I turn on the system with a controller, the controller starts up in the player 2 slot. I have to then turn the controller off and back on for it to go to player 1.

[quote name='xplocvo']This is what I use, and it works well. Turning on the PS3 isn't a big deal, since I just either turn it on with a controller or by pressing the power button when I insert a Blu-ray. Then you can turn it off through the XMB.

The only problem I have with it is that when I turn on the system with a controller, the controller starts up in the player 2 slot. I have to then turn the controller off and back on for it to go to player 1.[/QUOTE]

So, using the harmony adapter with your PS3 always results in your controller starting up as player 2? Even when you use your controller to turn on your PS3? I would've guessed that the adapter wouldn't be sending out any signals to the PS3 unless instructed to do so...

[quote name='dschroll']So, using the harmony adapter with your PS3 always results in your controller starting up as player 2? Even when you use your controller to turn on your PS3? I would've guessed that the adapter wouldn't be sending out any signals to the PS3 unless instructed to do so...[/QUOTE]

No, not the Harmony adapter - I have the Nyko Blu Wave. I think it does this because it is plugged into a USB slot. I have found references to people running into the same problem when they have devices like Rock Band instruments plugged into USB when they power on the system.

He was talking about the Nyko adapter not the Harmony. - beat me to it - FYI I LOVE my Harmony 720 remote, got it on clearance at Target for like $20 - one of my best finds ever. Regardless I'd like the adapter but $40 seems criminal.

[quote name='dschroll']So, using the harmony adapter with your PS3 always results in your controller starting up as player 2? Even when you use your controller to turn on your PS3? I would've guessed that the adapter wouldn't be sending out any signals to the PS3 unless instructed to do so...[/QUOTE]

I believe it functions like the Sony Bluetooth remote, it doesn't take up a player slot.

Seriously? What is the world coming to when you need to spend $40 because you cant get off your ass to turn on the PS3? Most people dont sit more than 10 feet away from their TV and electronics. And even if you are 20 feet away, whats the big deal? It isnt like turning the channel every couple minutes. Once you turn on your PS3 or any game system you dont need to turn it off for a while... I dont get it (BTW, i know i dont have to get it, to each his own). Anyways, sorry for the OT, feel free to delete this post.

wait, wrencrest, the bigger picture other than powering on and off is b/c it functions as a blu ray remote and will even work with the XMB, to surf the store, whatever.., thus keeping the Harmony remote the ONLY remote you need out..without this adapter it simply won't work. Now I do agree that this is kinda double-dipping on their part, b/c surely any remote they made after this adapter could have somehow had the technology built in, but then I don't know, b/c the adapter acts as a bluetooth bridge, always on and ready..

People are technologically dumb here.

This adds bluetooth and it's for your universal remote to control the PS3 so you can turn everything on at once.

Even people on slickdeals appreciate this deal

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know the Harmondy Adapter doesn't take up a player slot. I have a Harmony 880 but the thing is going bad on me. The volume rocker is not working right and I have to press really hard on it to make it turn up the volume. I'm looking to upgrade to a Harmony One and would love to know how a bunch of CAGs were able to score free remotes. Anyone got any news on that?

My Harmony was one of the best tech purchases I've ever made; it's pricey compared to other, shitty universal remotes, but as a typical geeky tech married guy, I gladly paid the price for the ability since my wife can now actually use everything in our A/V setup and even use my 360 as a DVD player.

[quote name='token2k6']wait, wrencrest, the bigger picture other than powering on and off is b/c it functions as a blu ray remote and will even work with the XMB, to surf the store, whatever.., thus keeping the Harmony remote the ONLY remote you need out..without this adapter it simply won't work. Now I do agree that this is kinda double-dipping on their part, b/c surely any remote they made after this adapter could have somehow had the technology built in, but then I don't know, b/c the adapter acts as a bluetooth bridge, always on and ready..[/QUOTE]
Thanks for being polite about it an not getting rude like the person below. I know about all the functionality, but what I was responding to someone who posted that the $40 alone was worth it for the on/off function. My fault for not quoting him, but it doesnt matter anyway. I use the $12 Nyko USB dongle and my cable remote for everything. Not as simple as that "macro" with the Harmony, but I aint about to spend over $200 for the remote and this thing. Like I said, to each his own.
[quote name='DeathBringer']People are technologically dumb here.

This adds bluetooth and it's for your universal remote to control the PS3 so you can turn everything on at once.

Even people on slickdeals appreciate this deal[/QUOTE]
See above if you were referring to me. My apologies for getting people confused on what I meant.

I use this with the Harmony 360 remote. Works pretty well. I like being any to use the remote to turn everything on/off and control the PS3 for watching Blu-rays and whatnot.

In summary, if you have a harmony remote and want to use your PS3 like you use your other devices (switch to it as an Activity, ability to power on, etc), and that's worth $40, get this.

It's a dongle that plugs into a power outlet, and syncs with bluetooth to the ps3. You point the Harmony (IR) at the dongle and it'll then send bluetooth to the PS3 (since the ps3 lacks an IR port).

It's expensive at $40, but I definitely like mine (got as a gift). It's nice to be able to switch between PS3 or Xbox with a press of the button, and it doesn't "throw off" the sync. Otherwise, with a harmony, you have to program an activity to use the PS3, and then manually turn it on. Certainly not the end of the world; but if you have 2-3 other devices that work fine and the ps3 is the odd one out, it's totally worth it.

[quote name='xplocvo']The only problem I have with it is that when I turn on the system with a controller, the controller starts up in the player 2 slot. I have to then turn the controller off and back on for it to go to player 1.[/QUOTE]Why turn the controller off when you can just go to controller assignment in the same menu and reassign it?

fyi for people biting on the remotes themselves because of the deal:

i tried this and while it works perfectly fine, there is a bit of lag that can't be eliminated when operating the ps3 - even when the button delay is put at the minimum. some people find that easy to ignore; i didn't so just putting a second opinion out there.

while not as versatile, this does the job for me at the pricepoint of the adapter alone:

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Blu-Link-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1281978592&sr=8-1

[quote name='robodaddyo']Why turn the controller off when you can just go to controller assignment in the same menu and reassign it?[/QUOTE]

Dunno, I guess I just glossed over that option. Doesn't seem like it would save any time though, I'll check it out next time.

I got the Nyko PS3 Slim Media Hub, just teach your Ir remote and your done. It may not do everything, but it does enough and adds USE ports to boot.

Thanks OP. I've got a Harmony 620 meant to grab this @ $39.99 a few months ago. I put it off too long and it went back up to $60. Gonna make sure I don't miss out this time.

I want one as well, but I prefer it for $20. It'll reach that price eventually. I got my 360 Harmony almost 2 years ago for like $7 used at Gamestop, but it was in brand new condition. Best $7 I've ever spent.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']I want one as well, but I prefer it for $20. It'll reach that price eventually. I got my 360 Harmony almost 2 years ago for like $7 used at Gamestop, but it was in brand new condition. Best $7 I've ever spent.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'll ever see it that cheap. Unless they decide to replace it with an updated model. I've been keeping an eye on them regularly for the past year...aside from another rare $20 drop a few months ago, they're always $52-$56 on Amazon.

[quote name='norkusa']I doubt you'll ever see it that cheap. Unless they decide to replace it with an updated model. I've been keeping an eye on them regularly for the past year...aside from another rare $20 drop a few months ago, they're always $52-$56 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Things always drop in price, regardless of what they are. I never said I want it for $20 next week/month but eventually it'll be $20.

I bet if I told you I wouldn't get a Harmony Remote unless it was less than $10 you would say that was impossible too.

Dang - I got a PS3 remote for Xmas last year but would love to have this so that my Harmony would work with anything. I didn't even know this thing existed! Pretty cool, but I can't justify buying it since I already have the PS3 remote.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Things always drop in price, regardless of what they are. I never said I want it for $20 next week/month but eventually it'll be $20.

I bet if I told you I wouldn't get a Harmony Remote unless it was less than $10 you would say that was impossible too.[/QUOTE]

Not really. I got my NIB Harmony 620 at Goodwill last year for $20, so anything is possible. Just sayin' that if past sale prices on Amazon are any indication, this Harmony PS3 adapter won't hit $20 until a new hardware revision comes out or near the end of the PS3's life.

[quote name='robodaddyo']Why turn the controller off when you can just go to controller assignment in the same menu and reassign it?[/QUOTE]

FYI, I do not have that option. The only options I have are Turn off System and Turn off Controller. I guess since there is only one active controller it doesn't give me the option to reassign.

How are people so confused over a remote? o_O I've been eying the Harmony One for a while now but still haven't jumped in yet. I currently have 4 remotes I'm juggling and don't want a cheap remote to lose out on features. Nice to see the adapter drop in price even though it's still kind of high to me. I may give in and get one of those $129 refrubs soon or just wait for the yearly sales.

Thanks for the info OP

bread's done
Back