PS3 Move on sale early at Best Buy (YMMV)

JPizz

CAGiversary!
The Best Buy in Duluth, MN has the PS3 Move motion controller, the navigation controller and the official Move charging station on sale as of today.

i sense BS

edit, on best buy website it shows the bundle on sale and when i enter my zip it says available in all stores. When i pick up more bud today imma visit my nearest store

[quote name='Yigytugd']Is there a price for this sale?[/QUOTE]

Sale doesn't mean sale as you're thinking. He just means it's available early.

The PS3 move is street dated, so most retail stores will have this at least a week early before it "officially" goes on sale to prepare. From my knowledge, even if they are dumb enough to put it on the shelf, most places now have prompts at the register preventing them from selling it (since they get fined by Sony if they sell it early).

I would say YMMV unless you're an employee of one of these retail stores and as long as they don't play it online.

[quote name='acidraine']The PS3 move is street dated, so most retail stores will have this at least a week early before it "officially" goes on sale to prepare. From my knowledge, even if they are dumb enough to put it on the shelf, most places now have prompts at the register preventing them from selling it (since they get fined by Sony if they sell it early).

I would say YMMV unless you're an employee of one of these retail stores and as long as they don't play it online.[/QUOTE]

Well, actually, the "officially official" street date for Move is September 19th. However, most retailers are selling on the 17th and there's an interview with one of the lead tech guys and he says that Sony's release date is the 19th and that retailers will be getting them early and selling them early but every retailers should have it by the 19th, so they put that as the date to be safe.

In other words, the Move street date is a very loose date.

Edit: Playing it online is fine too, they sent out a ton of Move House Party kits last month.

[quote name='Trace17']Well, actually, the "officially official" street date for Move is September 19th. However, most retailers are selling on the 17th and there's an interview with one of the lead tech guys and he says that Sony's release date is the 19th and that retailers will be getting them early and selling them early but every retailers should have it by the 19th, so they put that as the date to be safe.

Edit: Playing it online is fine too, they sent out a ton of Move House Party kits last month.[/QUOTE]

Sony's Move Street Date is 9/17, not 9/19. Go to us.playstation.com and look for yourself. That's why your "interview" is with the tech guy. Obviously he doesn't work in Marketing and Distribution. The retailer street date is 9/17 as well. There's no such thing as a loose street date. The whole idea of a street date is a fixed date that ensures that all retailers have plenty of product on this particular date so that there are no issues with shipping.

In other words, you suck with facts. Get it right before you post garbage.

[quote name='acidraine']In other words, you suck with facts. Get it right before you post garbage.[/QUOTE]

time to replace the tampon..

I know that my Wal Mart in Casa Grande, AZ has already started to sell PS Move games. I figured it was a mistake, since no one at Wal Mart knows anything about release dates.

[quote name='acidraine']

In other words, you suck with facts. Get it right before you post garbage.[/QUOTE]

ahh I think we caught us a CAG newbie who thinks this is gamefaq community :roll:

Upon noticing a shelf full of Move products at my local Wal-Mart I asked an associate if they were supposed to be selling already. He then showed me a fax from Sony that authorized sales in "Select Retail Locations" starting 9/10.

[quote name='acidraine']Sony's Move Street Date is 9/17, not 9/19. Go to us.playstation.com and look for yourself. That's why your "interview" is with the tech guy. Obviously he doesn't work in Marketing and Distribution. The retailer street date is 9/17 as well. There's no such thing as a loose street date. The whole idea of a street date is a fixed date that ensures that all retailers have plenty of product on this particular date so that there are no issues with shipping.

In other words, you suck with facts. Get it right before you post garbage.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Good job, you're officially hated on the forums now. Enjoy carrying that reputation everywhere you go on CAG.

[quote name='acidraine']Sony's Move Street Date is 9/17, not 9/19. Go to us.playstation.com and look for yourself. That's why your "interview" is with the tech guy. Obviously he doesn't work in Marketing and Distribution. The retailer street date is 9/17 as well. There's no such thing as a loose street date. The whole idea of a street date is a fixed date that ensures that all retailers have plenty of product on this particular date so that there are no issues with shipping.

Actually, the point a fixed street date is to prevent one retailer who happens to get it early from selling it before other retailers have gotten it. A fixed street date creates a level play field for the retailers...that one store with a faster distribution system doesn't have an unfair advantage over another retailers who distribution system might not be as fast...it has nothing to do specifically with initial stock levels (which, conditional on supply from the manufacture, are up to the discretion of the retailers).

The Best Buy website is telling me the 320gig Move bundle is available in stores but everything else is still preorder. I'm going to bestbuy today, I'll post what I find out.

This is for Huntington, and Bayshore, NY.

[quote name='K_G']Actually, the point a fixed street date is to prevent one retailer who happens to get it early from selling it before other retailers have gotten it. A fixed street date creates a level play field for the retailers...that one store with a faster distribution system doesn't have an unfair advantage over another retailers who distribution system might not be as fast...it has nothing to do specifically with initial stock levels (which, conditional on supply from the manufacture, are up to the discretion of the retailers).[/QUOTE]

Not in every case though, right? For example, when toys are street dated to coincide with a movie release (or to prevent spoilers). Like the Star Wars prequels. Stores had that stock for months ahead of time but held it for PR reasons.

I assume it's actually the same with the Move. It's not so much about being fair to the individual stores as it is Sony wanting to making a big splash on release day. If the Move dribbles out regionally ahead of time, it steals their thunder.

There is a "loose" street date, which is exactly what this is. And they've been saying the 17th all week since retailers are sitting on it in the backroom. But some more obscure retailers may not be able to sell until 19th, so that's still the "official" day. Why else would ZERO retailers not promote the move in their ads next week if it came out on Friday? Move will be in all the 19th ads.

Not to mention that QVC is advertising it as their today's special value on sunday 9/12 (tomorrow btw).

Stop being an ass and get out of this thread. If you want to call me out, do it in a respectable fashion. What a dbag.

[quote name='Trace17']Well, actually, the "officially official" street date for Move is September 19th. However, most retailers are selling on the 17th and there's an interview with one of the lead tech guys and he says that Sony's release date is the 19th and that retailers will be getting them early and selling them early but every retailers should have it by the 19th, so they put that as the date to be safe.

Edit: Playing it online is fine too, they sent out a ton of Move House Party kits last month.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. I kept thinking it was so weird to hear someone representing Sony basically saying that stores will be able to sell them when they get them. Sony must know how hyped some of us are for this stupid thing lol

[quote name='Zippon']Not in every case though, right? For example, when toys are street dated to coincide with a movie release (or to prevent spoilers). Like the Star Wars prequels. Stores had that stock for months ahead of time but held it for PR reasons.

I assume it's actually the same with the Move. It's not so much about being fair to the individual stores as it is Sony wanting to making a big splash on release day. If the Move dribbles out regionally ahead of time, it steals their thunder.[/QUOTE]

Toys are a bit different, due to the fact that they usually involve multiple vendors and they are more manufactured products that have longer production lead times. But just like games or DVDs, producers have no interest in pissing off a major retailer by appearing to favor one of them vs another in terms of distribution...and someone's order has to be filled first...so a firm street date allows the orders to pushed out in such a fashion that all the retailers (or at least the major ones....I doubt they care about mom and pops) roughly all have a fair shot at selling the item to customers on day one.

But that said, this is only a major issue for retailers if they believe there is significant pent up demand for an item that retailer A selling it early would distort demand away from retailers B, C and D (such as if walmart started selling Halo Reach today nationwide in their stores). If demand isn't very high, retailers aren't going to super pissed about a few random stores breaking the street date. Also as an accessory, Sony isn't looking at Move as "sales are all downhill after the first week" like it is for most games. Move is going to be sold over the long term, so while Sony has a interest to get the word out about Move's launch, the launch is just step one is a very long sales and marketing effort.

I agree with most of the posters here. Street dates are not set in stone. Most stores get the games or accessories usually on the Friday/Saturday before (of course Monday at the latest). Items shipped out from 1 location always make their way to the closest destination first (after all, it's shipped on a truck, not hand delivered). There's not a "Halo Fairy" that shows up on Monday to drop off the newest game at every location at 10 am on the nose. Whether or not the stores agree to the Manufacturer's demands is up to them. However when they don't, they are not agreeing to their Company's Business and Ethics codes/standards. They could be penalized (fined...rarely happens) or they could be "slapped on the wrist" with the next shipment coming later than expected/sent less quantities, etc. (rare, but not uncommon). Usually a memo comes down and they take it off the shelves until the street date. And like a previous poster stated, it might not even ring up at the register.

Everyone knows Kmarts are notorious for this with no repercussions whatsoever.

Yeah that was a little misleading. :roll:

[quote name='ssjmichael']Sale doesn't mean sale as you're thinking. He just means it's available early.[/QUOTE]

I swung by one BB here in central Texas and found both the move controller and the navigation controller on the shelves. They had 8 of each, with shelf tags and everything.

No bundles, no Move systems. Which is ironic because the website shows the Move system (PS3, camera, controllers) is in stock at every local store, but the individual controllers are all listed as pre-orders.

[quote name='megma42']The title should be changed to say that the move is "for" sale, not "on" sale.[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter? I understood what the op was saying just by reading the title.

[quote name='supermanram']Does it really matter? I understood what the op was saying just by reading the title.[/QUOTE]

I agree. By using "early" in the title, the meaning is fairly obvious.

[quote name='supermanram']Does it really matter? I understood what the op was saying just by reading the title.[/QUOTE]It never hurts to say what you mean.

checked my BB here in east tenn. ...no PS Move stuff at all, cept for a couple pamphlets at the end of an isle

Called my Best Buy, and they said they had them for sale.

One big clue to me that this might happen is that all of the games are already on sale. It seemed like an odd thing to do if they weren't releasing the system.

However, despite an earlier post, street dates generally are set in stone, and there are very serious repurcussions if they get broken.

So, it seems this was never a fixed date.

I might try to head up to my local Best Buy this Sunday and see if they have anything in stock yet. If I do, I'll pass along my findings.

Games generally always go on sale before a hardware launch for that particular system. I remember having my copy of Madden before the PS2 launch by about a week, as well as Madden and Call of Duty 2 a week before the 360 launch. I don't really see this as a "hardware" launch anyway, it's just some controllers, basically, and some games that require them. Pretty crazy the controllers/system bundles are out a week early, however.

I remembered something on the PlayStation blog saying retailers may be selling Move early. So I looked it up. What it said was:

Q: When will PlayStation Move be released in the U.S.?
A: PlayStation Move and PlayStation Move games will be available on September 19, 2010 in the U.S., though some retailers may have it in stock earlier.

To me, that's pretty clear that some stores may be selling it early and that it's okay for them to do so. So chill out! lol... The thing that was confusing to me was that the Playstation website still, to this day, says September 17... but EVERYBODY else was saying September 19, even the blog. Guess it makes sense now...

[quote name='rockstarnati']I remembered something on the PlayStation blog saying retailers may be selling Move early. So I looked it up. What it said was:

Q: When will PlayStation Move be released in the U.S.?
A: PlayStation Move and PlayStation Move games will be available on September 19, 2010 in the U.S., though some retailers may have it in stock earlier.

To me, that's pretty clear that some stores may be selling it early and that it's okay for them to do so. So chill out! lol... The thing that was confusing to me was that the Playstation website still, to this day, says September 17... but EVERYBODY else was saying September 19, even the blog. Guess it makes sense now...[/QUOTE]

I recall seeing both the 19th and the 17th. I received an email from Sony last week stating the 17th!

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']:applause: Good job, you're officially hated on the forums now. Enjoy carrying that reputation everywhere you go on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god!!! What will I do? I'm hated by approximately 5,000 anonymous Dutch nerds!

Give me a break. As George Bernard Shaw famously said:

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated."

The comment I replied to was garbage, and I stand by that. Until someone posts that they actually picked up a Move at Best Buy within the last 24 hours, everything is BS and should be treated as such.

However, thank you for your congratulatory message concerning people I could care less about.

[quote name='acidraine']Oh my god!!! What will I do? I'm hated by approximately 5,000 anonymous Dutch nerds![/QUOTE]

Damn! I guess that's why I only buy video games with windmills in them! You got us pegged!

[quote name='acidraine']

However, thank you for your congratulatory message concerning people I could care less about.[/QUOTE]

So you at least care about us a little right? Just making sure.

I'm not Dutch either, but I do want to see if anyone else finds any of these at their BB before I drive over.

[quote name='Trace17']There is a "loose" street date, which is exactly what this is. And they've been saying the 17th all week since retailers are sitting on it in the backroom. But some more obscure retailers may not be able to sell until 19th, so that's still the "official" day. Why else would ZERO retailers not promote the move in their ads next week if it came out on Friday? Move will be in all the 19th ads.
[/QUOTE]
Thats not exactly true. Its in Gamestop's ad

Went to BB in Columbus, OH (the one by Tuttle Mall). No Move stuff, just posters with the date 9/17 on them. I saw the poster and get excited for a second lol

I called my local Best Buy in Dekalb, IL, they told me that they had them in-stock and that they were ready to be sold. I asked multiple times and asked for specifics to make sure that this wasn't going to be a wasted trip. However when I went there, nothing was on shelves, and when I asked about it, they told me that they were sorry that an employee mistakenly told me that they were available, and that technically they were "in-stock" in their back room, but they couldn't be sold until the 17th, due to signs all over their shipment which indicated that the street date was the 17th. So that sucks.

[quote name='Havok83']Thats not exactly true. Its in Gamestop's ad[/QUOTE]

Yes it is in this week's ad, but with the tag line of "pre-order today"

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']So has anybody bought the thing yet?[/QUOTE]

They have Move in my store but i will wait for official release and buy from Kmart.

bread's done
Back