PS3 not supporting or allowing used games

arthurRWD

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I had read in some interviews with David Jaffe (SOE, creator of God of War, if you didn't know) and he was talking about how Sony was working on a way to limit/stop the use of used games on the PS3. I had also read a little snippet about this in Game Informer, this info was hid in a little article about the PS3 being region free. So apparently, if you buy a game, it can only played on the original system you played it on. No trading games, no renting games, no used games. This sucks, and I think Sony is stupid for trying this crap.

Sadly, I got this from Sony today, and I think it verifies my fears.

http://www.us.playstation.com/survey.aspx?id=66&psu=523FFCA11DDBBCFE39544AD0E766338D

So yea, I was gonna wait on the PS3, but I may just go ahead and get the 360. I can play used games on it.

Do you have a link for that interview? I won't get one anyway, but that would suck pretty bad for the CAGs if they try something like that.

I dunno how that would work anyway, the PS3 won't very well be able to write to the games, I'd be interested to know how exactly any game company would go about doing that.

They still haven't confirmed it, but any system that used that technology would never ever get a cent from me.

EDIT: I probably wouldn't buy any Sony products ever again if they decided to put that technology in the PS3, it's just a matter of massive greed on their part.

It's going to be a long time before I get a PS3 if they don't allow use to play used/borrowed games.

I guess we could always get around it by not having our PS3 hooked up to an internet connection. :roll:

[quote name='Kaijufan']It's going to be a long time before I get a PS3 if they don't allow use to play used/borrowed games.

I guess we could always get around it by not having our PS3 hooked up to an internet connection. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Knowing Sony, they'll wise up to something so simple... but honestly, I don't see how else they could do it. If the system was able to write on discs, then it could write in somewhere that the disc is used.

If this is true... I think Sony can kiss it's lead goodbye.

Officially, they're not going to do that this generation. However, they do have the technology and aren't ruling it out for a console after this one.

I highly doubt they will actually go through with this. Especially since Japan is now legalizing the used game market again.

[quote name='scp89']april fools...you fools[/QUOTE]

For now... Man, just think about what it would be like if they didn't just lock-out used Ps3 games, but had a way to lock-out used Ps2/Ps1 games. I know that's a really, REALY long stretch(read: nigh impossible), but Sony has been talking about a download service for older PS games and if there's one company who would do something like that...it's them.

[quote name='Vinny']Knowing Sony, they'll wise up to something so simple... but honestly, I don't see how else they could do it. If the system was able to write on discs, then it could write in somewhere that the disc is used.

If this is true... I think Sony can kiss it's lead goodbye.[/quote]

It wouldn't be that hard. I can think of a few different ways to do it, and I don't even know all of the specs of the hardware. Most would involve connections to the Internet or some other online gaming setup, though. That would be the easiest.

If they don't use online checking, they could still do something like dating the game disc pressings and dating the PS3 consoles, and then checking to see that the date of the game pressing doesn't pre-date the console manufactured date by a set amount of time. Not foolproof, and it would work better for Sony the later in the consoles life, but say if you buy a PS3 next year then you could only play games that were manufactured/pressed in the 6 months prior to your console manufactured date. That would kill the bargain bin market, too, but I doubt that would bother Sony.

Dane.

[quote name='m0nkeybl1tz']I really hope they learned their lesson from that whole CD security fiasco...[/QUOTE]

But the difference betweent that and this is that sony controls all the hardware to this.

I wouldn't have as big a problem with this if they lowered the prices of games drastically and made some rental copies allowing writes more than once. After all I think if you're a niche game from a company it could potentially kill a major windfall they might get from people who TRY the game and like it. And please don't say demo because some I've played are utterly shitty, too short and are just not long enough to see if you like it, if it will be long enough, ya know?

[quote name='Sarang01']I wouldn't have as big a problem with this if they lowered the prices of games drastically and made some rental copies allowing writes more than once. After all I think if you're a niche game from a company it could potentially kill a major windfall they might get from people who TRY the game and like it. And please don't say demo because some I've played are utterly shitty, too short and are just not long enough to see if you like it, if it will be long enough, ya know?[/quote]

Yeah, they'd have to make special rental copies unless they're dumb and decide to alienate the rental market (which I'm sure leads to sales).

I've thought it over and read what other people have said and the only way it makes sense to me is if they had the disc communicate with the system and then bind the disc's code with the system's code and then uploads that to a server.

Obviously they couldn't have it be required for use though since not everyone will have an internet connection for the PS3, so registering with the server couldn't be required for playing the games, but it would have to be made so that if the system ever connects to the internet it then syncrhonizes with the database on the server so that every game played on the system before then is then checked and rejected if it's ever attempted to play again.

It wouldn't be incredibly effective since it wouldn't work unless you connected to the internet and somebody might eventually figure out a way to hack it. It would also piss off the people that do use the games online which are probably spending the most money on games anyway, so it doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

Of course, much simpler would be to just have a writable portion of every game that could be written with a specific code for that system, but the problem (other than the generally sucking and extra hardware) would be that if the system breaks there would have to be a way to either set the new system with the same code or clear the disc so it can be used on the new system, while if it was done on a server they could just erase the old system's codes and the game would then be bound to whatever code the new system had.

Well that was long and rambling and pointless since they probably won't implement it anyway, but hey it was a nice thought experiment right? :p.

[quote name='whoknows']Same here.[/quote]

Sadly, same here too...but it sucks that Sony's pissing on the people who have kept them in business. They're by no means hurting for money, and they're going to be making it harder for people without a huge cash flow to enjoy their games. Not everything I like is going to come out as a Greatest Hits.

Ken says In the Matrix there is no spoon.......

Well lets not all jump to conclusions until we see whats what. While This isnt a very new Idea in the first place(wasnt there a time in japan where it said not for resale/trade on all games? PS1 era) If this was the case I could only imagine companys working harder on games due to the fact the Joe Q Cheapy isnt going to waste $60 on a title that he isnt sure he will like and CANT sell or trade. I would hope this would help us but only time will tell.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']If this was the case I could only imagine companys working harder on games due to the fact the Joe Q Cheapy isnt going to waste $60 on a title that he isnt sure he will like and CANT sell or trade.[/quote]

Why? He's already bought it and now he's totally fucked and can't get rid of it, the company got the money so they're good :p.

It makes more sense to me that a company would work harder to make better games if somebody could just sell their copy to someone else if it sucks. If it's good enough for Joe Q Cheapy to buy and hang on to then more people will have to buy it new themselves. ;)

[quote name='SpazX']Why? He's already bought it and now he's totally fucked and can't get rid of it, the company got the money so they're good :p.

It makes more sense to me that a company would work harder to make better games if somebody could just sell their copy to someone else if it sucks. If it's good enough for Joe Q Cheapy to buy and hang on to then more people will have to buy it new themselves. ;)[/QUOTE]

You dont think Guy A is going to tell Guy B and chick DD that Crap Night 8 sucked and not to buy it via online fourms and blogcast and my space whatever. I "think" this could be a PR nightmare for some companys if they went ahead with a crappy product release to a one owner media. Kinda how XBL demos are doing to some games(full auto anyone? :::shutters:::)

[quote name='Michaellvortega']You dont think Guy A is going to tell Guy B and chick DD that Crap Night 8 sucked and not to buy it via online fourms and blogcast and my space whatever. I "think" this could be a PR nightmare for some companys if they went ahead with a crappy product release to a one owner media. Kinda how XBL demos are doing to some games(full auto anyone? :::shutters:::)[/quote]

Haha, well yeah, there are reviews of games anyway and companies hate that. But even with reviews for games like there are now I think the average person would be much more reluctant to try a game that got a bad review (I know I've liked badly reviewed games) if he knew that if it really did suck he'd be stuck with it. So that would lead to less sales in the long run.

So I guess the moral of the story is just that if they do something like that they're really shooting themselves in the foot because it will make people think over their purchases more when it's in their company's best interest that the customers just buy as much shit as humanly possible. :p

First of, remember that today is April Fool's.

That being said, if this is true then Sony would be stupid. You wouldn't be able to have BC, since all of those games would be "used" by definition. The used game market it huge in the US and I just can't see Sony saying a big fuck you to all of those people.

They are already behind with the 360 out now, the Revolution coming and the PS3 just a dream for 2006. I just don't see them screwing themselves at this point.

I don't trade a lot of games, but I do buy a lot of used games. I just can't imagine a Sony console not allowing used games. I'm sure its possible with the technology, but, I just don't see it happening.

TBW

bread's done
Back