PS3 on HD 1080p 23.6 inch monitor?

AvidWriter

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
I don't have an HD TV and since I don't have cable I see no reason to get one. I however recently got a new Dell HD 1080p (actual resolution is larger then 1080 but that irrelevant) monitor for my PC.

I don't have a massive urge/need/want to get a PS3 but its tempting. There are a dozen or so games I'd play, some of which were canceled for PC ( Alan Wake[D'oh 360 only], RDR - granted they could still make it but needless say Uncharted 2 and Infamous etc won't be coming to PC) However I assume hooking it up to said monitor is going to be lackluster? Forgo the fact I have little to no room on my desk to put it. It does have HDMI, however iirc only 1 so I guess I could get a splitter?

Life is too short to horde money but getting a PS3 bundle (It'd have to be a bundle for me to really be tipped into buying it and a larger HD tv, because realistically I don't know I could use this monitor is still not rocking my boat. It'll be upwards of $500 at least I'm figuring.

*Pondering.* I just hope black Friday doesn't really temp me with a sweet deal.

EDIT : I just remember I'm sitting on some gamestop giftcards.... about $82 worth. (Long story short, $25x2 from surverys over 6+ months and $32 for a pricing error that I got refunded). So that's $82 off a PS3 bundle on sale for black friday. Urge to buy, rising.

Last edited by a moderator:
your computer is hooked up to the monitor by hdmi? why not use dvi and leave the hdmi for the ps3? also, i think alan wake is a 360 exclusive.

As you get older you will progressively have less and less time to enjoy trivial things in life. So I say just go for it (wait for a deal though), time to test that Dell monitor. Just a heads up, I'm pretty sure Alan Wake is for the 360.

I used to have my PS3 hooked up to my computer monitor til I moved it to the living room tv. I have to say I miss that privacy and more of a focused view the pc monitor offered. When the screen was smaller I was able to play games such as COD multiplayer better (possibly that pc gaming mindset); however playing games such as Heavy Rain and any other single player oriented games are much more enjoyable on a bigger screen.

I use to like pc gaming a whole lot better, but lately I'm becoming latched onto the console controller. I like the feeling of having every button mapped condensed and simple, and the added freedom maneuverability (not just limited to sitting in front of the computer). Also, its pleasant to know a game you buy for PS3 will work without worrying about specs and/or updating drivers for video cards (be warned though...there are auto updates with PS3). Its not too difficult to get a pc game to work, but every once in awhile where the game isn't performing the way it should...it gets annoying to figure out the problem. PS3 games in general costs more than PC games; however I think overall console games trumps over PC in resale value.

Iono...just rambling now, but do consider about getting PS3 and/or 360...its just an easier, simpler experience than the PC. They only game I would only like to play on the PC anymore is Diablo 3 (which I kinda wish Blizzard would just port over to consoles, they ported Diablo to psx and ever Starcraft to N64 so why not Diablo 3?)

Yea I could go DVI for my PC. I just used the HDMI cause I had a 6 foot cable lying around. I'd definately wait for a deal. Oh yea Alan Wake might be 360 only... or was it the DLC was? I don't remember. fucking Microsoft, starting to hate them more and more. I don't want a 360, 100% failure rate is 100% me not buying that pile of shit.

I could never give up PC gaming, at least not until I play all those PC games I have on steam I havn't played yet. It's slowly becoming my only way to get PC games.

If I don't hook my PS3 online and it can't update assuming I play a game that I've already update or has no updates I won't have any problems right? I don't have wifi right now so I'd have to use my Ethernet cable back and forth from PS3 to PC.

Also I assume with saving games to the HDD you still need to disc in? Otherwise gamefly would be sued for pirating, ahaha.

EDIT : I just remember I'm sitting on some gamestop giftcards.... about $82 worth. (Long story short, $25x2 from surverys over 6+ months and $32 for a pricing error that I got refunded). So that's $82 off a PS3 bundle on sale for black Friday. Urge to buy, rising.

[quote name='AvidWriter']If I don't hook my PS3 online and it can't update assuming I play a game that I've already update or has no updates I won't have any problems right? I don't have wifi right now so I'd have to use my Ethernet cable back and forth from PS3 to PC.

Also I assume with saving games to the HDD you still need to disc in? Otherwise gamefly would be sued for pirating, ahaha.

EDIT : I just remember I'm sitting on some gamestop giftcards.... about $132 worth. (Long story short, $100 from surverys over 6+ months and $32 for a pricing error that I got refunded). So that's $132 off a PS3 bundle on sale for black Friday. Urge to buy, rising.[/QUOTE]

I can't be sure with the specifics on games being playable without updating, but I think game released after September 2010 requires update to play (I think its cause of that whole piracy incident). Aside from that I don't see why not and more than likely newer system comes already updated with it (I'm pretty sure all slims doesn't have linux support anymore). Also, you can definitely play single player games without an online connection (I was just worried about updates).

Yea you still need the disc after installation, and its usually a partial install.

I never got anything from utalkback, but I only did like 4 surveys so it figures. Pretty sure Gamestop would have some type of deal for a PS3 bundle during Black Friday.

1080p is still 1080p no matter how big the monitor. Since its a computer monitor. You will probably play in your chair so its a good size for the distance you are sitting from.

As long as the monitor has HDCP you will be good. They do sell HDMI splitter/switches so you can have multiple hdmi signals going into the monitor.

yeah just get one. You can check out the amazon warehouse thread in the deals forum. I got a slim a couple moths ago for 220.

[quote name='AvidWriter']Yea I could go DVI for my PC. I just used the HDMI cause I had a 6 foot cable lying around. I'd definately wait for a deal. Oh yea Alan Wake might be 360 only... or was it the DLC was? I don't remember. fucking Microsoft, starting to hate them more and more. I don't want a 360, 100% failure rate is 100% me not buying that pile of shit.
[/QUOTE]

Where have you been, sir? The failure rate issue has been fixed I believe. I've had my 60 GB for god knows how long and it hasn't shown one sign of failure. There have been some problems with the new slims, but those problems happen right off the bat so you could get a replacement from the retailer instead of waiting for Microsoft most of the time.

The monitor is good enough for gaming needs, unless you want a huge TV set up. I play games on a 32" 720p HDTV and have a 23" monitor for PC gaming. I've used the monitor for console gaming at times and it's pretty good. I suggest you buy a TV for gaming though. A 32" shouldn't run you much. Maybe $300-$400 at most. Like you said, life is too short to hoarde money. You might as well just spend some money and enjoy gaming while you can.

When I first got a ps3 I was rocking it on a 22inch 1080p 6 inches away from my face. It was pretty sweet until it crapped out on me. The HDMI port had connection issues with the 'handshake' or whatever was all screwed. I've upgraded to a 52 inch since then but I had a good time with the 22 inch.

I'm in the same situation, taking my first venture into HD gaming. I'm planning to use a 1080P HD monitor that has both DVI input VGA input with a PS3 or Xbox 360 in the future.

The PS3 with a DVI to HDMI cable. Xbox 360 with the VGA cable from Microsoft that I already use on a on old CRT. I'm guessing the official VGA cable from Microsoft will work on any monitor.

I'm more concerned is the PS3 and the whole handshake/communication problem between devices, people are having sometimes.

I don't want to go buy a HD monitor only to find out it will not work with my PS3 despite having a DVI HDCP input, while using a DVI to HDMI cable. Correct me if I'm wrong since I never owned my own PS3 or HD monitor.

As many on here know, I bought an Acer 21.5" monitor that Target clearanced out last year for $40 at it's lowest price. It's a great display, full HD and has both an HDMI port and a DVI(w/ HDCP) port on it.

So you should be fine with getting a PS3 and playing it on a computer monitor. Just invest in some external speakers or something, since internal ones on monitors usually suck.:puke:

As for your cable issues with having to transfer the ethernet back and forth, why not get a hub or something similar to split your internet connection so you don't have to keep switching the cable. Same deal with the HDMI cable, get a splitter and you should be good to go.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I always said 'HD was a crock', but after going to the HD monitor I don't want to go back now.;) But $500 for a TV is still a crock of shit to me.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As many on here know, I bought an Acer 21.5" monitor that Target clearanced out last year for $40 at it's lowest price. It's a great display, full HD and has both an HDMI port and a DVI(w/ HDCP) port on it.

So you should be fine with getting a PS3 and playing it on a computer monitor. Just invest in some external speakers or something, since internal ones on monitors usually suck.:puke:

As for your cable issues with having to transfer the ethernet back and forth, why not get a hub or something similar to split your internet connection so you don't have to keep switching the cable. Same deal with the HDMI cable, get a splitter and you should be good to go.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I always said 'HD was a crock', but after going to the HD monitor I don't want to go back now.;) But $500 for a TV is still a crock of shit to me.:razz:[/QUOTE]

you lucky bastard :lol:

I just switched from a 40" HD set down to a 23" monitor (ACER H233H if youre curious) and I really prefer it. For sound I just use an old receiver and a large pair of stereo headphones. PS3 has a great feature that allows you to select your outputs for audio so I can run HDMI for video and normal composite out to the receiver for audio.

As has already been said, just make sure you get something with HDCP. Full HD is also advisable given how close you will be sitting to the screen. One advantage of playing on a monitor is that you can take advantage of K+M support for the odd games that have it or steering wheel and pedals if youre into racing. I also have to say I prefer using the headphones as I have found an important part of immersion is not just being able to hear the sound, but also block out external sounds.

The speakers on mine have to be set to 50 out of 100 just to get any decent sound from them on most games, but the PSN downloadable ones require turning the volume down to 25.

You could even go for head phones (sometimes a necessity when only time to play is late at night), however prolonged use is uncomfortable. I think it still is the cheapest way to get a decent surround sound to locate other players in online FPS shooters, and offers good sense of immersion (ie. less outside noise to distract you).

Well I have a 5.1 system for my PC but I assume I'd have to get another splitter or something to do that?

I'm thinking more and more its just easier to get a TV. Less hassle, less cables and etc.

Why it it be lackluster? Assuming you're sitting at a computer desk playing it, it should look pretty amazing. I game on a 22" monitor that's not full 1080P and it looks really great. You don't need a huge HDTV for the PS3. It depends more on how far you're playing from.

I often game on my 23" samsung 1080p monitor. It looks great when I'm sitting at my desk. I use a DVI-HDMI cable since my monitor doesn't have an HDMI port. When I started using this setup I forgot about the audio since my computer speakers wouldn't work so I ended up getting a pair of Tritton AX180s to use. They are pretty comfy and were reasonably cheap.

[quote name='Zoodux']I often game on my 23" samsung 1080p monitor. It looks great when I'm sitting at my desk. I use a DVI-HDMI cable since my monitor doesn't have an HDMI port. When I started using this setup I forgot about the audio since my computer speakers wouldn't work so I ended up getting a pair of Tritton AX180s to use. They are pretty comfy and were reasonably cheap.[/QUOTE]

I use my computer speakers with both my PC and my PS3. I think the setup went something like this (it's been a while):

1.)
31R97J2PCVL.jpg

The speaker's cable is connected to a splitter with two 3.5mm female speaker jacks.

2.) I plugged a male to male 3.5mm audio cable (i.e. a line-in cable) from my PC's soundcard to one of the female jacks

3.)
male-35mm-stereo-plug-dual-rca-female-converter-adapter-1628n.jpg

I connected my PS3's composite connections to a 2 RCA Female to 1 3.5mm Male adapter, and I then connected I connected that 3.5mm end to the other available female splitter from step 1.

4.) Configure the PS3's audio settings to receive sound via Composite

And that's it, the speakers will work with both your PC and PS3. I use 2.1 speakers btw so this may not work with a different setup.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Why it it be lackluster? Assuming you're sitting at a computer desk playing it, it should look pretty amazing. I game on a 22" monitor that's not full 1080P and it looks really great. You don't need a huge HDTV for the PS3. It depends more on how far you're playing from.[/QUOTE]
Wow. We agree on something for once.:lol: I sit about 4-5 feet from my 21" monitor and the picture on it is phenomenal. So much better than the fuzzy graphics on the 20" SDtv I used to use with my PS3.;)

I game on a 23 inch Viewsonic. Sitting close to it makes up any size disparities. Although the lack of anti-aliasing will definitely seem more apparent on some cross platform games.

bread's done
Back