PS3 on the cheap

Fatso2027

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Looking to pick up ANY PS3, new or used, the cheapest way possible. If there's somewhere I can get a broken one that has an easy fix, I would be ok with that too. Thanks in advance.

What are you going to use it for? If it is going to be your main console then I would just pick up a new slim bundle. If it is going to be used very lightly or flipped/traded then you can buy a broken YLOD system. They can be repaired fairly easy using the gilksy guide, but once they go YLOD they will never be reliable again. The broken systems are still fairly expensive too, so I wouldn't take the risk if you are going to use it heavily.

I already have a PS2 and 360, so I don't need BC, and I would really only use it for a few exclusives/BR. I don't think I want a YLOD, but like a DVD drive or something like that would be fine.

I prefer craigslist since you don't have to worry about the shipping costs plus not hassling with the annoying last minute bidders

[quote name='Hannibal_Leon']i think craigslist should never exist[/QUOTE]
That was the best, most informative post I've ever read, thank you...

Honestly, I would just wait until E3 before buying any system. There's a slight chance that there will be either a new bundle or even a small price drop, and if that's the case, it will only bring down the price of used/broken systems on ebay and craigslist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find out what model that seller has. I see it could be either a 60GB or the first 80GB because of the chrome. If what he says is true, finding out which model would be huge in finding out if you want to replace the bd drive for it. I've repaired my 80GB but boxed it up and use a 120 slim now. Going to slap the old guts in an HTPC one day.

Ok, so through a few different sources, I've come up with about $200 in store credit to gamestop, with about another 100 on the way on Tuesday. I definitely think I'll go new, simply because the price difference is way too insignificant. Just wondering though, are these new bundles gamestop is selling, are they worth the small premium? It's looking like they are the only way I'm going to be able to get a 120. Also, I was in a few GS today, and they told me that the have the father's day 250 bundle with LBP and inFamous for only 350. Is that the correct price or were they wrong?

[quote name='Fatso2027']Ok, so through a few different sources, I've come up with about $200 in store credit to gamestop, with about another 100 on the way on Tuesday. I definitely think I'll go new, simply because the price difference is way too insignificant. Just wondering though, are these new bundles gamestop is selling, are they worth the small premium? It's looking like they are the only way I'm going to be able to get a 120. Also, I was in a few GS today, and they told me that the have the father's day 250 bundle with LBP and inFamous for only 350. Is that the correct price or were they wrong?[/QUOTE]
well it looks like the 120 gigs are going for about $299 + tax, so for around $50 + tax you get 130 gigs more and 2 $19.99 games. seems like your getting a pretty good deal to me

by the way what "sources" are you talking about? :p

Best Buy is currently offering 20% off using Bing Cash Back. That's a good way to go. I don't know if there's still an active deal, but I ended up getting $100 off my PS3 when I bought directly from Sony and opened one of their credit cards. They issue a $100 credit on your first statement.

By source, I am talking of Sears and Gamestop making friends, with me being the middle man, if you catch my drift ;)

I would go for the Sony card, but I'm not looking for a CC right now, and I already have the vast majority of the PS3 paid off due to my GS credit.

bread's done
Back