PS3 Price Cut Coming?

I can't read the link, but it wouldn't shock me. Perceptions are everything in the video game industry. The perception right now is that the PS3 isn't selling. Big 3rd party exclusives are not going to be created for a system without a strong base. I can't see Square giving FFXIII to a system that isn't going to have a strong install base.

So, for this, I could see a price cut just to start getting systems off the shelf.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I can't read the link, but it wouldn't shock me. Perceptions are everything in the video game industry. The perception right now is that the PS3 isn't selling. Big 3rd party exclusives are not going to be created for a system without a strong base. I can't see Square giving FFXIII to a system that isn't going to have a strong install base.

So, for this, I could see a price cut just to start getting systems off the shelf.[/QUOTE]

yeah, FFXIII should come out on the 360 in Japan, that would totally make complete sense and not be a major catastrophe in Japanese history.

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, FFXIII should come out on the 360 in Japan, that would totally make complete sense and not be a major catastrophe in Japanese history.[/quote]How would that be a "major catastrophe"? Just because the system doesn't sell well in Japan doesn't mean that SE doesn't want to gain any profit from the 10 million + consoles elsewhere in the world.

Believe it or not, Final Fantasy has a following in regions where the 360 is popular.

[quote name='daroga']How would that be a "major catastrophe"? Just because the system doesn't sell well in Japan doesn't mean that SE doesn't want to gain any profit from the 10 million + consoles elsewhere in the world.

Believe it or not, Final Fantasy has a following in regions where the 360 is popular.[/QUOTE]

It would take a long time to bring that much content over to another system... and that's assuming the 360's up to the task of running a game with graphics like what FFXIII has... which I personally doubt.

[quote name='Chacrana']It would take a long time to bring that much content over to another system... and that's assuming the 360's up to the task of running a game with graphics like what FFXIII has... which I personally doubt.[/quote]But if it means the difference between losing money on the project and making a profit, they'll do it.

I have yet to see the PS3 do anything, game, tech demo, whatever that's not at least comparable to the 360. Of course, this is coming from the guy who'd take Sonic and the Secret Rings' graphics over Gears of War's. What do I know? ;)

[quote name='daroga']How would that be a "major catastrophe"? Just because the system doesn't sell well in Japan doesn't mean that SE doesn't want to gain any profit from the 10 million + consoles elsewhere in the world.

Believe it or not, Final Fantasy has a following in regions where the 360 is popular.[/QUOTE]

he was saying that square has no reason to put FF on the PS3 since it doesn't have an install base. (guess the missing operator there was "only" in my other post) for one thing, it's amazingly slow to project the release of a game that's one or two years off based on current sales and for another, what are they going to do, not release FFXIII in Japan? They already have problems with high suicide rates over there, this wouldn't help :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']he was saying that square has no reason to put FF on the PS3 since it doesn't have an install base. (guess the missing operator there was "only" in my other post) for one thing, it's amazingly slow to project the release of a game that's one or two years off based on current sales and for another, what are they going to do, not release FFXIII in Japan? They already have problems with high suicide rates over there, this wouldn't help :lol:[/quote]Ah, gotchya. No, releasing it only on the 360 doesn't make any sense unless Microsoft is driving trucks of money to their door... which wouldn't surprise me. That would be the be-all, end-all victory for Microsoft in all of this. But no, it won't happen. Though I'm pretty sure SE will put out FF13 on the 360. Then again, I was sure they'd have ported Chrono Trigger to the GBA too, so they don't really flow into my way of thinking very well.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Japanese electronics giant Sony may cut the price of its PlayStation 3 by $100 worldwide in October, according to an analyst with Goldman Sachs.

The article predicts a price drop by October, FYI.

Way too soon, in my opinion. I really don't think the PS3 is in need of a price drop at this point. That may change if the 360 drops in price, but for now, I don't think one is needed.

[quote name='dpatel']The article predicts a price drop by October, FYI.

Way too soon, in my opinion. I really don't think the PS3 is in need of a price drop at this point. That may change if the 360 drops in price, but for now, I don't think one is needed.[/quote]Store shelves filled with PS3s would disagree with you.

If the PS3's pricepoint was even remotely comparable to the 360, I'm sure they'd be selling a lot better on name alone. If stores would actually stock the 20 GB systems, they'd probably move a lot more too.

Microsoft was already pushing the envelope with a $400 price tag--Sony has destroyed it with the $600 price tag, and proven that even though it may be a "good deal" for what you get, consumers aren't big on being told what they're going to be buying.

I personally don't believe that any game system's hardware is worth more than $250-$300. Not to say that the components aren't worth more, but I would have a hard time every buying a system for more than that, with $200 being a much more reasonable price point. All three consoles are overpriced, but Sony is the one suffering for packing in too much stuff, tieing their hands in making this price cut. They simply can't afford it--but can they afford not to?

[quote name='Chacrana']It would take a long time to bring that much content over to another system... and that's assuming the 360's up to the task of running a game with graphics like what FFXIII has... which I personally doubt.[/QUOTE]

:bs:

[quote name='daroga']Store shelves filled with PS3s would disagree with you.

If the PS3's pricepoint was even remotely comparable to the 360, I'm sure they'd be selling a lot better on name alone. If stores would actually stock the 20 GB systems, they'd probably move a lot more too.

Microsoft was already pushing the envelope with a $400 price tag--Sony has destroyed it with the $600 price tag, and proven that even though it may be a "good deal" for what you get, consumers aren't big on being told what they're going to be buying.

I personally don't believe that any game system's hardware is worth more than $250-$300. Not to say that the components aren't worth more, but I would have a hard time every buying a system for more than that, with $200 being a much more reasonable price point. All three consoles are overpriced, but Sony is the one suffering for packing in too much stuff, tieing their hands in making this price cut. They simply can't afford it--but can they afford not to?[/QUOTE]

While the excessive supply is bad, it's not that good of an indication as to how well the PS3 is selling. Looking at actual numbers, the PS3 is selling pretty decently. Then again, I don't have too much to compare it to.

Does anyone know how much the 360 had sold within the same time frame? Seeing as how they are at the 10 million mark, I would guess that they weren't too far ahead of Sony at this point in time.

[quote name='dpatel']While the excessive supply is bad, it's not that good of an indication as to how well the PS3 is selling. Looking at actual numbers, the PS3 is selling pretty decently. Then again, I don't have too much to compare it to.

Does anyone know how much the 360 had sold within the same time frame? Seeing as how they are at the 10 million mark, I would guess that they weren't too far ahead of Sony at this point in time.[/quote]They were at just about the same, however Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by not having ready supply until around this time last year. Sony hasn't had any lack of stock since the last week of December.

[quote name='daroga']They were at just about the same, however Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by not having ready supply until around this time last year. Sony hasn't had any lack of stock since the last week of December.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. Which is why I kinda wonder where this 'dismal PS3 launch' stuff comes from. I guess, at this point, it's hard to tell. Sure they are about even with the 360 during the same time frame, but one could argue that limited supply was constricting 360 sales. And PS3 also has yet to be released outside of NA and Japan. I guess what I am saying is it is too early to claim that the PS3 is in need of a desperate price cut.

And lets not forget that FF is bigger in the US and abroad than it is in Japan, where Dragon Quest is top dog. People seem inclined to believe that FF is even all that big of a deal in Japan (outside FF7).

I highly doubt there will be a price drop of any proportion in any region for the PS3 this year. Sony can barely afford to sell it at its current MSRP, let alone any lowwer. If it does happen, then its a definite fact that it failed.

You guys obviously don't monitor the financials enough. If Goldman Sachs is calling for or expecting a price drop sometime this year, then you can bet on it that something will happen involving a price drop. I wouldn't be shocked either. You can't have such a run up of supply either in the pipeline or in stores to the point where stores are not going to want to order more. One BB by me has done just this. They have stacks of PS3s just sitting there, while I can't fucking find a Wii.

[quote name='dpatel']The article predicts a price drop by October, FYI.

Way too soon, in my opinion. I really don't think the PS3 is in need of a price drop at this point. That may change if the 360 drops in price, but for now, I don't think one is needed.[/quote]
[quote name='daroga']Store shelves filled with PS3s would disagree with you.

I personally don't believe that any game system's hardware is worth more than $250-$300. Not to say that the components aren't worth more, but I would have a hard time every buying a system for more than that, with $200 being a much more reasonable price point. All three consoles are overpriced, but Sony is the one suffering for packing in too much stuff, tieing their hands in making this price cut. They simply can't afford it--but can they afford not to?[/quote]
Daroga pretty much hit the nail on the head. But it's not only this, Sony's flooded the market with PS3s even at an early juncture in the console wars as we are now. Just go to your BB and see that they're full of them (at least the ones by me).

bread's done
Back