PS3 price drop now in CANADA

so what is the incentive to buy a ps3 if you have a 360? I'm not trying to bash the ps3, this is an actual question.

[quote name='dave17']so what is the incentive to buy a ps3 if you have a 360? I'm not trying to bash the ps3, this is an actual question.[/QUOTE]

probably a few... theres always the "exclusives" point that draw you to it uncharted... killzone2... valkyria chronicles... little big planet... etc...

waaay superior blooray goodness my friend :) for that pleasure of putting hdtv to good use!

watever if you dont want it then you dont :) no use in forcing it but for the others thats beeen eagerly EAGERLLLY EARRRGERLY anticipating and wait and waiting for this drop to come they can now hop on board the ps3 bandwagon once and for alllll :) have fun.

[quote name='dave17']so what is the incentive to buy a ps3 if you have a 360? I'm not trying to bash the ps3, this is an actual question.[/QUOTE]
I know you say you're not trying to bash but you're basically just saying "ps3 has no games." Seriously, how can people still say that? Both systems have awesome exclusives.

Yeah, that's a pretty dang good deal if you're looking for a blu-ray player too.

I'd personally wait for the slim (and it's coming so early!), but yeah I've got a 360 (and a Wii) and don't really see much PS3 incentive for me. I've got way too many games to play as it is, so I'm good for now.

But kudos to Sony for the price drop. Coupled with the blu-ray player, it's a great value, especially considering the Wii is still 280 :O

For those not waiting for a slim, buy it from Futureshop and get Motorstorm: Pacific Rift for free.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10114322&CMP=BAC-FS_hbad_t6_s2-EN

Personally, I would advise anyone sitting on the fence about getting a slim or the original to go out now and get an 80GB model, but don't open it. That way, if reports start rolling in that the slim isn't all it's cracked up to be (I have a feeling the lower productions costs are going to result in some issues with the system, but I could be wrong), you will have the original system waiting for you. But, if it turns out the system performs just as well as the current model, then you can take it back and swap.

Count me as the first to suggest that a clearance 80 or 160gb fat is the way to go, not a new slim. Apart from 40 extra gigabytes, I don't see much advantage.

-New hardware = possibility of new problems
-No more installation of other OS's (not that I ever did/will)
-Hard drive is apparently not swappable like current system (whaaaatttt...?)
-Apparently there's no ethernet port

The last two are just things I've heard so far, so I'm not 100% sure of them. If they are true, those are some major shots against a slim. Also, you can get game bundles with the fat systems. Either Killzone 2 or Uncharted would be well worth it as your first PS3 game :D

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Count me as the first to suggest that a clearance 80 or 160gb fat is the way to go, not a new slim. Apart from 40 extra gigabytes, I don't see much advantage.

-New hardware = possibility of new problems
-No more installation of other OS's (not that I ever did/will)
-Hard drive is apparently not swappable like current system (whaaaatttt...?)
-Apparently there's no ethernet port

The last two are just things I've heard so far, so I'm not 100% sure of them. If they are true, those are some major shots against a slim. Also, you can get game bundles with the fat systems. Either Killzone 2 or Uncharted would be well worth it as your first PS3 game :D[/QUOTE]

wrong on the last two. There is an ethernet port just by looking at the pics. The HDD is swappable. There is a hidden screw and the HDD is located on the front panel this time.

The only differences are a power brick (not even close to the size of the 360 version), no power switch on the back, eject and start is not heat sensing but are actual buttons. The power brick is mentioned in an interview but all the unboxing videos don't show a power brick and only show a outlet cord.

Another difference is the SLIM has a 45nm process for the Cell and consumes approx 33% less power than the phat. This alone is a great advantage to the new console. Also with it being smaller, it will produce less heat and is unlikely to have a hardware failure similar to 360's overheating and such thus ending in RROD. The reason you have the new price is due to the SLIM. Without the SLIM, there is no pricedrop.

I'd suggest waiting till the slim comes out THEN buying a 80GB system. You'll probably get the best deal/bundle cause it'll be hard for retailers to get rid of the old systems once the new ones are out. (Is my cheapness showing?) If you've waited almost 3 years to get a PS3, another month or two won't kill you.

[quote name='snuter']I'd suggest waiting till the slim comes out THEN buying a 80GB system. You'll probably get the best deal/bundle cause it'll be hard for retailers to get rid of the old systems once the new ones are out. (Is my cheapness showing?) If you've waited almost 3 years to get a PS3, another month or two won't kill you.[/QUOTE]
Exactly, that's how frugal gamers roll.

I find it kind of silly how a few of my acquaintances are saying "OK, gotta sell this phat and get a slim ASAP!!!"...I don't get why they'd do that, other than to recuperate some of their investments into the phat PS3. That, and they're just silly in general.

[quote name='CaptainCharismaCCC']wrong on the last two. There is an ethernet port just by looking at the pics. The HDD is swappable. There is a hidden screw and the HDD is located on the front panel this time.

The only differences are a power brick (not even close to the size of the 360 version), no power switch on the back, eject and start is not heat sensing but are actual buttons. The power brick is mentioned in an interview but all the unboxing videos don't show a power brick and only show a outlet cord.

Another difference is the SLIM has a 45nm process for the Cell and consumes approx 33% less power than the phat. This alone is a great advantage to the new console. Also with it being smaller, it will produce less heat and is unlikely to have a hardware failure similar to 360's overheating and such thus ending in RROD. The reason you have the new price is due to the SLIM. Without the SLIM, there is no pricedrop.[/QUOTE]

You could be right, I haven't checked all the deets yet. I knew the big announcement was today, just haven't been home long enough to check facts, just this blog posting (which is not always accurate, duh).
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/tabulator-ps3-slim-and-phat-sized-up/
Of course, the official pics do say "design and specification subject to change without notice". I still remeber the first PS3 was supposed to come with 2 HDMI ports and banana controllers according to pics and listed specs at the time :lol: Also, realize that the 33% less power is over the original models, not the latest ones, so that stat's a bit misleading.

I will say I'd be stunned if they took HD upgardeability away. That would make absolutely no sense.

I'm not bashing the slim, I'm just saying it would be smarter to buy remaining stock up, there's just better deals to be had overall.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']I have my fingers crossed that phats are going to go down to $199 or obtainable through a trade 6 or something.[/QUOTE]

Some people are just never satisfied :( sigh.

I got my 40GB PS3 (which included batman begins and a bluray remote) for $199.99 a few months ago from Rogers video. They had a promo for every $25 that you load on a gift card, they'd give you 10 star reward points. $250 loaded=$50 off a purchase. The regular price for this package is $249.99 if you can still find it. My Rogers still had 1 left about a week ago.

[quote name='buzzyon']I know you say you're not trying to bash but you're basically just saying "ps3 has no games." Seriously, how can people still say that? Both systems have awesome exclusives.[/QUOTE]

actually, I was trying to ask what the incentive was to buying a ps3 if you have a 360 already. pretend that I am a soccer mom who has only played tetris before if that helps.

[quote name='dave17']actually, I was trying to ask what the incentive was to buying a ps3 if you have a 360 already. pretend that I am a soccer mom who has only played tetris before if that helps.[/QUOTE]

youll make your soccer kid happy ;) youll be the best mom ever :)

i guess the biggest point thus far youll never have RROD'd blues again...

youll also get sony branded bluray player if you not at all noticed ;)
it went from 399.99 to 299.99 is that not any incentive? compared to 349.99 on sale elite of course you want the ps3 :p

im done lol im no sony marketer damn it just look up the stuff yourself! :/

[quote name='dave17']actually, I was trying to ask what the incentive was to buying a ps3 if you have a 360 already. pretend that I am a soccer mom who has only played tetris before if that helps.[/QUOTE]

the ps3 combines the functionality of a blu-ray player (next generation of media) with a top-end gaming system that will last 5+ years. your kids will love the variety of games :D.

it's also one of the cheapest blu-ray players around.

Well, if you're happy with your gaming experience, then there's no reason to buy a PS3, apart from it's critically-acclaimed exclusives (Uncharted, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, Gran Turismo, for starters). However, if you want to add to your Home Theatre experience, and have yet to purchase a blu-ray player, a PS3 would be a great addition.

My 60GB PS3 gets pretty warm when I have it on for extended periods of time, which would be my motivation for buying a Slim; if the current 80GB PS3's are whisper-quiet and cold-as-ice, then I would definitely wait for a deal on one of those; however, if you wait too long, you may end up missing out on the stock all together.

edit: looking at the pictures, it doesn't seem that Sony has added a USB port to the back of the PS3...does anyone else find it super annoying have no rear USB port??

Have been wanting a deal on a PS3. I have a 360, but I've found of that the titles I've wanted from its library have been lacking. Think I'll wait a bit for a bundled 80GB unit though.

These are just my reasons for getting a PS3

- My very first reasons for wanting a PS3 were to play MGS4 and FFXIII.
I know the latter is now coming for 360 as well, but I plan to stick to the PS3 version.
- I bought the MGS4 PS3 bundle, because I really wanted to play MSG4, definitely worth it, imo.
- Honestly, after MGS4, I waited months before there was another game I wanted to get [Little Big Planet], so I just used the system as a blu ray player
- There's a much bigger/better PS3 game library out now then when I bought mine. Definitely a good time to pick one up, with all the big titles coming out this year and next year [God of War III, Uncharted II, Heavy Rain, FFXIII, FFXIII Versus].
- I find the PS3 controller better suited for the kinds of games I like to play [fighting, third person shooters]. I have zero interest in FPS games, but the 360 controller is better for those, imo.
- I have zero interest in online play, so the free PSN is great, since I don't really use it, except for the PSN store. The only thing I don't like about silver memberships for 360, is having to wait an extra week or whatever for some demos.
- Region free games / some movies

I'm glad the PS3 announced a price drop.

I've been waiting to pick up a 360, and now that the elite's dropping in price, I'll probably wait until Boxing Day, and hopefully get a great deal.
I've been waiting to play Gears of War I,II and DOA4 for a long time ;)

In the end, if you can afford both systems, why not.
Both have great games :D
[and the Wii, but I have no interest in getting one]

My skills at interpreting info were lacking...

As mentioned, the PS3 drive is upgradeable, and it still does have the Ethernet port, it just doesn't come with a bundled cable anymore :dunce:

Lack of ethernet cable would be a dealbreaker for me. Phat 4 teh win!!11!! :lol:

If you were a soccer mom that's only played one game then you'd be buying whatever your rotten spoiled kids yell at you to buy with your alimony money: which is EVERYTHING.

I'd be surprised if you DIDN'T buy all three systems.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']My skills at interpreting info were lacking...

As mentioned, the PS3 drive is upgradeable, and it still does have the Ethernet port, it just doesn't come with a bundled cable anymore

Lack of ethernet cable would be a dealbreaker for me. Phat 4 teh win!!11!! [/QUOTE]

:D:D

[quote name='Afrodiziak']Hey I'm cheap. The less money I have to pay the better.[/QUOTE]

Have fun playing the current generation when the next one is a few years in :D:D.

I'll add my impressions on the PS3.
-It's a a nice piece of tech. The care and detail put into the OS, hardware and features are well worth the $300.
-The DVD upscaller is very impressive one of the main uses it gets in my house. I'm watching 1970's show The Waltons not Wall-e on DVD and I'm still impressed!
-Blu-rays look beautiful of course
-I play my 360 a lot but the exclusives on the PS3 have made it worth while to own it. Little Big Planet GT5, MGS4 and the next years line up convinced me to buy it. I like playing good games it's nice to be able to play everything.
-The first party games look really good on a huge screen. I even had a chance to hook it up to my HD CRT projector and played Rachet on a 6 foot screen the textures still looked good.
-The touch sensitive buttons on the front silly as they are are fun to use.

Negaitive
-the phat's finish does scratch easily but I still think it looks better then the slim
-wireless download speed is too slow. I hooked up the network cable.
-Triggers on the controller aren't as good as the 360

Dave17 this of course coming from a Mom who spent a lot of time on the soccer field this summer. Both playing and watching but I don't drive a mini van.

Man, the PS3 would be my console of choice if I could get a wireless 360 working on it. I'm hoping the new Modern Warfare 2 accessories from Mad Catz provide me with an alternative solution. One thing's for sure, this update/price drop is definitely trouble for MS.

Where else are the drops showing up?

Someone mentioned Future Shop in another thread (on the site, you can get either the 80 or 160 for the same price, $299).

Has anyone seen the price drop at RCSS or Loblaw(s)? I know someone with a bunch of PC points waiting to be used. =)

I keep forgetting why I wanted a PS3 when looking at the responses here.

Blu-ray and HD graphics don't matter for my SD TV. Can't stand the bloated dialog and ridiculous cut-scenes from the Metal Gear Solid series. Racing games don't do anything for me. LittleBigPlanet is more fun to watch on YouTube than to actually play...

So why am I excited about the price drop?

[quote name='Princess Zelda']... Rachet ...[/QUOTE]

BAM! Rachet & Clank is awesome. Then I remembered that there are plenty of other awesome games that don't get mentioned often enough: stuff like sports games, Orange Box, Uncharted, PSN titles like Fat Princess, Ghostbusters, Disgaea 3... Throw in the reliability and extra features (most which don't matter now, but won't hurt later) and system looks much more appealing.

PS3 Slim fits into my entertainment center and (hopefully) won't have a 50% failure rate. It'll provide access to many great games and movies. My upper limit for a toy like this is $300, and that's exactly where it's sitting right now. As the value of a PS3 system continues to grow, this price drop makes it look very appealing!

Now if only they could get decent PS2 emulation back in, I'd be thrilled!
:D

[quote name='halcyon1234']Where else are the drops showing up?

Someone mentioned Future Shop in another thread (on the site, you can get either the 80 or 160 for the same price, $299).

Has anyone seen the price drop at RCSS or Loblaw(s)? I know someone with a bunch of PC points waiting to be used. =)[/QUOTE]

RCSS price drop hasn't happened yet but I'll tell you how to do it. My husband and I both decide we didn't like the look of the slim we wanted to get a second PS3, one for the projector and one for the TV. Also I still needed a second controller which buying a second unit isn't a bad way to do it. We also have a good amount of PC points we wanted to use for this. So he went to RCSS they wouldn't price match so he bought $350 in Future Shop Gift Cards with the PC points there, then went to FS bought the system with the free game Motorstom Pacific Rift. I already have the game so he'll sell it to a friend at work or I'll trade it in to EB for $20.

[quote name='halcyon1234']Where else are the drops showing up?

Has anyone seen the price drop at RCSS or Loblaw(s)? I know someone with a bunch of PC points waiting to be used. =)[/QUOTE]

Sony's announcement should have been universal so they should have dropped the price. Seriously, just march in there and inform them the price dropped if they haven't adjusted it already.
BTW, when is the next RCSS tax-free day? If it's soon, you could even risk waiting...

[quote name='ejamer']BAM! Rachet & Clank is awesome. Then I remembered that there are plenty of other awesome games that don't get mentioned often enough: stuff like sports games, Orange Box, ...[/QUOTE]

You don't buy a PS3 for Orange Box, really. PC or 360 are the way to go since Valve hates the PS3 and EA ported it over. The PS3 version is lame with that Lose-Lose comination.

Now if only they could get decent PS2 emulation back in, I'd be thrilled!:D

If I had a dollar for everytime I used PS2 emulation on my 60gb PS3, I'd have 3 dollars. Seriously, I still use a PS2 for PS2 games I play once in a blue moon. It looks very pretty on the PS3, and that's one of the main reasons why I bought an original SKU, but it hindsight it's not a dealmaker or breaker. Even the 360 has minimal BC, and no one seems to miss it that much.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']
You don't buy a PS3 for Orange Box, really. PC is the way to go since Valve hates the PS3 and EA ported it over. The PS3 version is lame with that Lose-Lose comination.
[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Orange Box. PC. Only. Every other version is inferior, and yes, I'm a console gamer.

well its not a deal for me if the rest of the world population gets the same price , thats how CAG I am . ANyway is there any store that gives an extra free controller with the purchase of the (now cheaper) PS3 ? My friend got a PS3 from costco a couple months back with a free controller for $360. I wonder if its 260 now ...I really want one.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']If I had a dollar for everytime I used PS2 emulation on my 60gb PS3, I'd have 3 dollars. Seriously, I still use a PS2 for PS2 games I play once in a blue moon. It looks very pretty on the PS3, and that's one of the main reasons why I bought an original SKU, but it hindsight it's not a dealmaker or breaker. [/QUOTE]

Thank god, another gamer that's seen the light, seriously CAGs, once you get a 60GB and you start playing PS3 games you'll forget all about PS2 games and revisit those games... almost never. Some people do but they're the people waiting for a $9.99 Ratchet & Clank or $4.99 Uncharted.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Even the 360 has minimal BC, and no one seems to miss it that much.[/QUOTE]

That's 'cause the original Xbox SUCKED. Also didn't have as strong of a line-up as the PS2 did and the Halo 2 meatheads all moved on, they let it go and moved on.

[quote name='EvilMario']Fixed. Orange Box. PC. Only. Every other version is inferior, and yes, I'm a console gamer.[/QUOTE]

You're probably right, this is Valve we're talking about. The PC is their best friend. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

[quote name='turgore2008']well its not a deal for me if the rest of the world population gets the same price , thats how CAG I am . ANyway is there any store that gives an extra free controller with the purchase of the (now cheaper) PS3 ? My friend got a PS3 from costco a couple months back with a free controller for $360. I wonder if its 260 now ...I really want one.[/QUOTE]

They've done it in the past. That would be a sweet deal now, but you're more liekly to get software over hardware. I think retailers lose more money off including free hardware than software.

[quote name='kathos']That's 'cause the original Xbox SUCKED. Also didn't have as strong of a line-up as the PS2 did and the Halo 2 meatheads all moved on, they let it go and moved on.[/QUOTE]

Quiet you, the BC purists don't need more ammo in their fight to bring back PS2 support :cool:

Really guys, if you don't have a PS2 by now, don't bother. Just start from this gen and move on. Anyway, it would cost you less to buy a used PS2 than to buy a single copy of some of those hard-to-find JRPGs most of you probably want a PS2 for in the first for.

I only want BC because I think my PS2 will kick the bucket soon. It is no longer BC, PS1 games won't work on it anymore (neither will normal DVDs).

I am still gonna grab a PS3 though once the slim launches and there aren't any hardware issues reported.

some good exclusive games, superior media playing system, bluray player, nice dpad, gamesharing psn games...

Picked up an open box 80 gigger from Best Buy for $270. They let me take a look at it in the store, everything was good, been waiting so long for this price drop :D

[quote name='Allawishes']Picked up an open box 80 gigger from Best Buy for $270. They let me take a look at it in the store, everything was good, been waiting so long for this price drop :D[/QUOTE]

Only 30$ off for an open box, that's not much. Back when there was still 60GB available, they had em at 50$ off and I still prefered getting a new one.

Would've been a better deal to buy a new one at FS with a free Motorstorm 2 for 30$ more.

[quote name='titanium']Only 30$ off for an open box, that's not much. Back when there was still 60GB available, they had em at 50$ off and I still prefered getting a new one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']It's usually 10% off open box.[/QUOTE]

How much was the 60gb when you saw it, $500? Then that $50 is in sync with the $30.
As LP said, 10% off is standard for open box. If everything is fie with it, then it's a pretty good deal, I'd say.

[quote name='kathos']EB is taking preorders for the Slim, at $299, I forgot to check release date though :(.[/QUOTE]
niceee the slim has a nice retro look to it :p vintage? booosted ps2 lol
i would still be too upset about the buttons becoming real buttons tho lol until the touch sensitive buttons break

Like any other console you buy it mainly for exclusives that will be put onto the console. I Have both the PS3 and a 360 and I find I never play my 360 anymore(been like 4 months) and I'm more so disappointed with the lack of exclusives that Microsoft has released this year. All there is thats good to look forward to is Left 4 Dead 2 and you can get that on the PC if you wish as well, and I guess Halo: ODST but I've grown so tired of the Halo games after the 2nd one. PS3 has great exclusives and upcoming ones as well. Uncharted Series, MAG, Rachet & Clank Series, Infamous, Demon Souls, Final Fantasy XIV, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, God of War 3, The Last Guardian, White Knight Chronicles, Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Disgaea 3, Warhawk, Motorstorm Series, Resistance Series, Valkryia Chronicles, etc etc. :p

got my 80gb CECHL with free motorstorm PR (online bundle only) $299, futureshop

ordered online for instore pickup since my preferred FS said out of stock on the site within 12hrs of the price drop announcement, didnt want to risk out of stock (almost couldnt get that infamous $30 deal, luckily stock appeared at 5:30am one of the days, so i quickly ordered a store pickup)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10114322&logon=&langid=EN with MSPR bundle
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?langid=EN&logon=&sku_id=0926INGFS10114322

i dont trust the slim's internals, hate its look, & its click buttons (& the PS logo is black & white)

bread's done
Back