PS3 Price Drop Spectulation Thread

Shawn1150

CAGiversary!
With the soon to be MGS4 bundle arriving, it seems people are shying away from the 40GB system and are going bigger. Is that 40gb system not being bought as much b/c most people prefer to play ps2 games backwards compatible? I personally never owned a ps2, so backwards compatibility is not an issue for me. Do you think we can hope for a 40gb price drop some time late this year, early 2009? I plan on buying a ps3, but I'm hoping they'll cut the price down to $300. What do you guys think?

I really doubt it. The new bundle is coming up soon so its unlikely to have a price drop right after that MGS4 bundle. Maybe in Europe they will but in the US, not for some time.(Holidays)

I don't see them doing a price drop anytime soon. They dropped the price $200 IN A YEAR and people still complain about the price? Come on, man.

[quote name='HotShotX']I'm guessing the price will drop from "Work two jobs" to "Turn tricks in a back alley".

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Technically if you do the latter, you can perform the former.

[quote name='Shawn1150']With the soon to be MGS4 bundle arriving, it seems people are shying away from the 40GB system and are going bigger. Is that 40gb system not being bought as much b/c most people prefer to play ps2 games backwards compatible? I personally never owned a ps2, so backwards compatibility is not an issue for me. Do you think we can hope for a 40gb price drop some time late this year, early 2009? I plan on buying a ps3, but I'm hoping they'll cut the price down to $300. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

You just aren't very bright, are you?

Don't get me wrong: I think a price drop will happen that will put the 40GB around $300-350 by Fall. But not for some hackneyed "make shit up for the sake of making shit up" remark like "people aren't interested in the non-BC PS3 because of Metal Gear" excuse. One completely unproven point supported by unrelated causes.

Moreover, your point here is that you are wondering if a price drop is likely, but suggest that people aren't buying or interested in the 40GB. Which means, of course, that people are going to spend $500 on a console instead of the $400 option. Which, on the surface, pretty much negates the possibility of a price drop.

That all said, the reasons I think we'll see a price drop may be twofold: one will surely happen, but not both necessarily.

1) The economy, stupid. If folks stop spending on frivolous items (like PS3s) because they're scared of wasting their money, then Sony's hand will be forced to make it more appealing to people with a tighter grip on their income.
2) If Blu-Ray adoption doesn't happen as fast as Sony would like, (again partially related to economic conditions), then they may drop the price to help spurn that.

It's fully related to the economy first, and second, Microsoft's presence and maneuvers in the market. The console's been outselling the 360 by 10-20% each week for a clip over a month now, so their relative numbers are good. If the absolute numbers tank, then they'll do something.

Why wouldn't Sony cut the price this year? They're introducing less expensive hardware components this year and the price of many components is falling, especially Bluray components. PS2 is still selling very good at $129, PSP is doing great, phenomenal in JA. Even iSuppli, responsible for accurately estimating the price that the consoles actually cost to produce is expecting Sony to do a pricecut this year. Not to mention past PS console pricecuts have followed similar trends. So those who say Sony will do a pricecut this year are not dreaming at all, they're basing this prediction on facts and historical data. Not to mention Sony will match 360's pricecut (the new chipset is coming soon). 360 will likely see its sales decline on a monthly basis soon more than it did earlier this year, MS will react by cutting the price. One of them will jump the gun first and the other will match or overmatch the pricecut.

links:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29796/iSuppli-PS3-price-cut-expected-this-year
http://www.blasteroids.com/news/news_item.cfm/13109/ps3pricecutmaybe
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-ibm-shrinks-cell-to-45nm-cheaper-ps3s-will-follow.html

I'm guessing a little over 90 days after the MGS bundle they may do a $50 drop in time for holiday sales (while preventing price matching).

The one thing that may hold them back is the crappy value of the dollar. Remember that since Sony is a foreign company they've already experienced a massive decline in the amount of money they get when they sell a console in the US because the dollar is nearly worthless when converted, technically the price should be going up.

Do you guys recommend not buying just yet. I only have a wii and was looking to go next gen with a 360 or PS3 but would hate to get it today and in a few days, bam, Price Cut...

Do they really need to cut prices? Ps3 sales are at a somewhat respectable level at this point and they have one of their top tier exclusives dropping in three weeks. Whether or not MGS4 is the greatest thing ever, it's helping to move some PS3s.

I would think at this point that a holiday bundle is a given for the PS3. If Microsoft could afford the lost software sales by packing in Forza 2 plus Marvel UA on loan from Activision with the 360, you figure they'll do it again, plus a small $50 price cut. My guess is that Sony packs in a Little Big Planet/GT5 demo disc with an 80gb system and sells it for $349 by September.

[quote name='SpeedyG']Do they really need to cut prices? Ps3 sales are at a somewhat respectable level at this point and they have one of their top tier exclusives dropping in three weeks. Whether or not MGS4 is the greatest thing ever, it's helping to move some PS3s.[/QUOTE]The PS3 has been selling quite well (although not Wii numbers) in Europe and is doing all right in the U.S. now (not spectacular, but decent). I really doubt consoles are getting a pricecut in the U.S. mostly because the value of the USD going down (where it's a possibility Sony/MS are losing more (or making less) on every console sold, compared to Europe/Japan where the Euro/Yen is still very strong). Just my thought.

I would think at this point that a holiday bundle is a given for the PS3. If Microsoft could afford the lost software sales by packing in Forza 2 plus Marvel UA on loan from Activision with the 360, you figure they'll do it again, plus a small $50 price cut. My guess is that Sony packs in a Little Big Planet/GT5 demo disc with an 80gb system and sells it for $349 by September.
I really doubt they'd drop the price by $50 and give you an extra 40gbs plus a game. If anything the 40gb will drop to $350. They won't make it 80gb and drop it that much with a free game.

bread's done
Back