PS3 = Saturn

bleak

CAGiversary!
Difficult to program for
Expensive
Fewer games
Delays

But I still play my Saturn occassionally and my PSX has been gathering dust for ages, so who gives a shit!

Plus, endless amounts of fun can be had *touching* the power and eject buttons.

OP = Moron

There was almost no publicity leading to the Saturn's launch and if I remember right it hit in the middle of the year when nobody was expecting it. Sony has spend buku dollars promoting the hell out of the PS3 (although the execs in charge of the hype machine did a poor job) and it launched right in the middle of the holiday season. It hasn't gotten off to near the hot start that the PS2 and of course the Wii has but to compare it to the Saturn this early is just plain stupid.

I haven't played the old PSX for years now (haven't needed to b/c of backwards compatibility in the PS2 & PS3) but I do still break out the Saturn once in awhile to play a few of the imports I have for it.

OP != moron

It was the Saturn before it was ever released. I'm talking about the hardware - not at what point in the year it was released! There are a lot of parallels but I appreciate the constructive criticism nevertheless.

The comparison is more apt than the Dreamcast one that Peter Moore made recently. The Dreamcast is more similar to the Xbox 360 than it is to the PS3. Certainly, the Saturn is more similar to the PS3 than the Xbox 360 however.

AND Virtua Fighter was a launch title for both systems. Thus I win. Ta-da.

Chitown & Bleak = morons

Come on guys, if you disagree with someone why not just reply and stop calling people morons.

Ooh, ooh. I want to play too!

The PS3 is the 3DO, because it costs $600 and "Fewer games" and "Delays".

No, wait -- it's the CD-I because it's "Expensive", "Fewer games", and "Delays" and it's got expensive stuff that has nothing to do with games.

No, wait -- it's the Pippin because it's "Expensive", "Fewer games", "Delays", and it's an example of a dominant company being taken down a notch.

No, wait -- it's the Virtual boy because it's "Expensive", "Fewer games", and just thinking about it makes me see red.

No, wait -- it's the WonderSwan, because I like typing "WonderSwan".

No, wait -- I'm sure I've got it this time. It's just got to be just like something else. I know it.

what the fuck is a wonderswan anyway?

is that like a unicorn? no, I'm not talking about the handheld.

[quote name='The Crotch']I have nothing to add to this thread. I simply must know: what the fuck is a "buku"?[/quote]

LOL :lol:

What I was going for was to say they spent a crapload of money. Pronounced "boo koo". Sometimes what you want to say and the way it looks in type are two different things.

My main point was that trying to draw these comparisons at this point is stupid. Generally these types of threads are started by either M$ or Nintendo fanboys that would love nothing more than to see the PS3 fail.

For the record, this thread was started by a person who owns the PS3 and does not own the Wii or the Xbox 360.

Also, my comparison to the Saturn wasn't meant to be offensive to anyone. I liked the Saturn more than the PSX. I'm quite happy with my PS3, and if anything I'm a PS3 fanboy.

And I still think the comparison is apt; I wasn't trolling.

[quote name='The Crotch']I have nothing to add to this thread. I simply must know: what the fuck is a "buku"?[/quote]

It's "beaucoup" (French) spelled incorrectly.

[quote name='oasisboy']Chitown & Bleak = morons

Come on guys, if you disagree with someone why not just reply and stop calling people morons.[/QUOTE]
bleak *IS* the OP. By saying "OP != moron" he is saying "The Original Poster [does not equal] a moron"

"Does not equal."
That's what != means. It's also what ≠ means.

MORON. (j/k! ;))

[quote name='Chacrana']I see that Bleak is unable to afford the system.[/quote]

That has got to be the weakest arguement ever. I can afford a fucking Hummer, yet I don't want one.

[quote name='bleak']OP != moron

It was the Saturn before it was ever released. I'm talking about the hardware - not at what point in the year it was released! There are a lot of parallels but I appreciate the constructive criticism nevertheless.

The comparison is more apt than the Dreamcast one that Peter Moore made recently. The Dreamcast is more similar to the Xbox 360 than it is to the PS3. Certainly, the Saturn is more similar to the PS3 than the Xbox 360 however.[/QUOTE]
You're right, it is similar to the Dreamcast. Similar because they "gave up" the last-gen early to be first out of the gate with the next-gen, only this time the gamble paid off. Everyone saved their money for a PS2 when the DC launched, but few did the same for the PS3 when the 360 launched. As a result, it's all uphill for Sony when they overtook the DC as soon as they had sufficient stock with the PS2.

[quote name='bleak']AND Virtua Fighter was a launch title for both systems. Thus I win. Ta-da.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't quite a launch title for PS3, but "launch window" is close enough.

I don't know about the Saturn, but for now the PS3 sucks ass. The only thing I use mine for is Blu-ray movie playback, and watching videos off my iPod on my HDTV. The only game I'd buy for the system is Oblivion, but I already have that on my 360. The PSN sucks, and they desperatly need to re-do the online store. It's ugly, and under-developed, not to mention there's hardly any content on there.

Right now, my PS3 is a DVD-upscaling Blu-Ray playing version of the PS2 to me and it was only worth it because I never owned a PS2. Not that I don't fire up some downloaded demos every now and then and secretly hope it'll be blown wide open like the PSP. :)

Oh, and homebrew ≠ piracy.

[quote name='help1']That has got to be the weakest arguement ever. I can afford a fucking Hummer, yet I don't want one.[/quote]

YOU AGAIN

JOIN THE COILITION

SAVE CAG FROM THE GAMEFAQ RETARDS!

The PS3 is like my motherfucking toaster, because both were manufactured in China.

Holy crap it's a conspiracy!

[quote name='The Crotch']C'est un... spelling horrible...[/QUOTE]

Y'all Ca-knuckleheads spell things like "check" "cheque," so I don't need your criticism when you fail to spell the way God meant it to be spelled. Likewise, enough with the unnecessary "u"s. Humo(u)r me, if only for a moment.

[quote name='mykevermin']The PS3 is like my motherfucking toaster, because both were manufactured in China.

Holy crap it's a conspiracy!

Y'all Ca-knuckleheads spell things like "check" "cheque," so I don't need your criticism when you fail to spell the way God meant it to be spelled. Likewise, enough with the unnecessary "u"s. Humo(u)r me, if only for a moment.[/QUOTE]
I say! My, what colourful commentary from a bloke such as yourself! Monoclemonocle lol. Favourite.

[quote name='help1']That has got to be the weakest arguement ever. I can afford a fucking Hummer, yet I don't want one.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't an argument so much as it was a guess.

Though I suppose I must always be combative on CAG... otherwise, why bother?

[quote name='help1']That has got to be the weakest arguement ever. I can afford a fucking Hummer, yet I don't want one.[/QUOTE]

aren't you 15?

Because you own an uber bike right?

Hey I got an idea, why don't you xbots leave the PS3 section for good, cuz ya know, you'll never be buying one. Don't like the system? Good for you, no need to come in every thread trying to put down the PS3. Its amazing that there are CAGs that have nothing better to do than to start console wars.
GameFAQS is --------------> way.

Edit : LMAO Apossum, he's 16.

well ps3 is doing its job, at least its beating HD-DVD and making Blu ray a success. PS3 has two wars to win... and one its winning and the other its losing...

I wish I still had a Saturn. I would be playing MvSF arcade perfect right now if I had kept mine :(

The OP makes me sad by reminding me of my long lost saturn.

[quote name='jer7583']I wish I still had a Saturn. I would be playing MvSF arcade perfect right now if I had kept mine :(

The OP makes me sad by reminding me of my long lost saturn.[/quote]

That is the exact reason I still have my Saturn!

[quote name='Chitown021']That is the exact reason I still have my Saturn![/QUOTE]

I love that game. Norimaru FTW.

I actually like using Nash and Chun Li. urge to ebay rising...

The PS3 = a big black cock. Only difference is it won't be going up your ass tonight.

And for the record, PS3 isn't off to a slow start. For its $600 price tag, it's still up to par with the 360's sales from last year, and for Christ's sake, the PS2 didn't sell 100 million in it's first year like everybody seems to think. Soon as everybody sees the Wii hit its potential a year after launch (or whenever everybody gets sick of Wii bowling), PS3 and 360 will kill it.

How's the PSP doing in that handheld market?

Yeah, don't talk about hitting potential in a year until the smoke clears.

[quote name='jer7583']How's the PSP doing in that handheld market?[/QUOTE]

Better than any other competing handheld prior to it.

[quote name='jer7583']Yeah, don't talk about hitting potential in a year until the smoke clears.[/QUOTE]

I happen to agree that the Wii will lose steam before the other two, but it definitely won't happen at the end of this year. I'd say 2009 is more likely, but that's just my opinion.

Gosh, more PSP hate?

The DS and PSP are both very sucessful handhelds.
The DS is MORE sucessful, no doubt, but that doesn't mean the PSP isn't a success either.

What other non-Nintendo handheld has even come close to what the PSP has achieved?
That's right, none.

I can't wait for whatever's next from Sony and Nintendo for the handheld market.

Saturn is black and PS3 is black.

You're all a bunch of fucking morons for not noticing that.

OP, don't listen to these people, fight the POWER!!

[quote name='dpatel']Better than any other competing handheld prior to it.

I happen to agree that the Wii will lose steam before the other two, but it definitely won't happen at the end of this year. I'd say 2009 is more likely, but that's just my opinion.[/quote]

You could give Michael Pachner a run for his money. :lol:

[quote name='jer7583']How's the PSP doing in that handheld market?

Yeah, don't talk about hitting potential in a year until the smoke clears.[/QUOTE]

Noob, Sony went into the handheld market because they wanted a piece of the pie. Like dpatel and dallow said, no other company came close. And its doing very well thank you very much for playing...next.

[quote name='dallow']Everyone stop posting in this thead starting................now.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

good advice!

[quote name='Thomas96']good advice![/quote]

Yeah, I didn't follow my own advice, but jer's idiot PSP comment made me.

Ok, starting....................now!

Oh come on, idiot PSP comment.. Even I want one now (short on funds) but why does nobody mind the other fellow's "Wii will fall off after a year" comment?

My point was that people wrote off the DS the same way when the "superior" PSP came around and look how that went. Nobody knows how things will shake out and I'm sick of people acting like it's a solid conclusion that the Wii will just die off in a year or so and we won't have to worry about it's silliness any longer.

Trolling works both ways, guys. Play nice.

[quote name='jer7583']Oh come on, idiot PSP comment.. Even I want one now (short on funds) but why does nobody mind the other fellow's "Wii will fall off after a year" comment?

My point was that people wrote off the DS the same way when the "superior" PSP came around and look how that went. Nobody knows how things will shake out and I'm sick of people acting like it's a solid conclusion that the Wii will just die off in a year or so and we won't have to worry about it's silliness any longer.

Trolling works both ways, guys. Play nice.[/QUOTE]

yeah, because the DS [phat] was being outsold by the PSP, DS didn't outsell the PSP until it came out w/ Lite. that's fact.

The Wii isnt going to die out, but I wonder if the masses that are buying up the systems are going to be coming back for more games, or are they just buying the system for its novelty and for that quick Wii sports ride? The ps3 has spoiled me... I don't think I can look at a game in anything less than 720p... and thats why its hard for me to buy a Wii. I probably will when they release Star Fox.

What is there other than the novelty factor right now though? I dunno how long Nintendo can sustain this and I have to wonder if they really have any sort of plan for a release schedule after this year when Mario Galaxy and Smash are released.

Wii sports/Wii Play is enough to sustain them the whole year, as far as the nongamer crowd they're going after is concerned. The rest of it is just icing on the cake. It doesn't make sense as far as traditional gaming is concerned, but what about the Wii does? Wii is going to be fine, and plenty competition against the 360/PS3, and that's a good thing.

As for the masses buying new titles, I think they're doing pretty well with Wii Play, and Nintendo has stated that since the Wii launch, 3rd parties have sold more software than Nintendo themselves have. If you can't look at non-HD gaming anymore, well that's your opinion I suppose, but I think it's a rather shallow thing to say.

I don't think there's any reason for them to blow out their release schedule past christmas.. Do we really know anything about 360 after the end of this year? Or PS3, for that matter? (Besides that FFXIII and MGS4 will be slipping into 08) Makes no sense to hype up things for 08 when 07 christmas is looming, and is going to be a big deal in this generation.

I'm sure things we haven't seen are being worked on by all three companies. How long was Starcraft 2 kept a secret?

[quote name='Thomas96']yeah, because the DS [phat] was being outsold by the PSP, DS didn't outsell the PSP until it came out w/ Lite. that's fact.

The Wii isnt going to die out, but I wonder if the masses that are buying up the systems are going to be coming back for more games, or are they just buying the system for its novelty and for that quick Wii sports ride? The ps3 has spoiled me... I don't think I can look at a game in anything less than 720p... and thats why its hard for me to buy a Wii. I probably will when they release Star Fox.[/QUOTE]
Yesterday, my friend said that he won't buy a Wii because he doesn't own an HDTV like mine. He said this after playing it and the PS3 every day on my 52" 1080p set. I'm kind of a videophile myself and yet I don't say that the crisp, clean, simplistic stylings of the Wii look bad just because they aren't 720p or higher... I had to remind him that it wasn't HD in any way shape or form, and it's not like he doesn't know what 1080p looks like when we play the PS3 on there too.

Edit: Also, the PSP was selling faster than the DS phattie, but it had not quite caught up.

bread's done
Back