PS3 - Should I Get One?

WiiGame

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Most gamers have owned a PS2 sometime in there life. I have a Wii, and love it to death (so much that its the only game system I have connected...lol), but wanted to know if I should get a PS3 as well? is the ps3 going to get any worthwhile games or is the blu-ray any good? or any other reasons to get it? does anybody think it'll pick up the pace in terms of a userbase in the next year or so?

The only person that's really fit to answer the question is yourself.

Here's a rundown that helps me determine if I want a system:
1) Does it have games that I want, if so are they exclusive or can I play them on a system that I already own?

2) Can I do other things that I want to do with the system that I can't otherwise do (Play blueray discs in the case of PS3)?

3) Can this system replace one of my current/former systems so that I can still play those games but at least sell off the old system (Playstation evolutionary line)?

4) Can I actually afford to add this to my collection?

Personally I jumped on the PS3 wagon shortly after the price drop came because I wanted a blueray player, it will have games that I want (ratchet and clank mainly), it can replace the PS2 (one guitar hero 3 comes out and I can finally play Guitar Hero 2 properly), and I could afford to do it. Good luck with your decision

PS Resistance fall of Man is a great FPS :)

i agree with CHARYODA it does depend on u, i sold my 360 after it broke down and got the ps3(60gb) shortly after the 80gb came out, and i order my 5 free blu-rays and i have 5 games so its worked out awesome for me

It all comes down to the games. I think the PS3 or 360 compliment the Wii really well, but it's up to which of the two you would prefer.

I suggest you wait for TGS which is happening in about 2 weeks. You'll have a much better idea as to what the PS3 has to offer.

[quote name='looploop']My gut feeling is that if you have to post a thread about it, the answer is probably no, you don't need one at the moment.[/quote]

lol. thats what i thought. i'm actually pretty surprised nobody thus far said "buy it, all the other systems suck". well, in a more explicit manner.

actually, the only reason i ask is because my uncle owns an electronic store and he says pick a 360 or a ps3...lol. i'm leaning to 360 just cause of xbox live (of the games i know, i only like the sports games on 360 and ps3), but wanted to see if there were any reasons to get a ps3 over a 360.

Just ask yourself this question: Are there five games currently out or confirmed for this year that I absolutely must play?

I should have asked myself before I got any home console because they're all eating dust while my handhelds get lots and lots of lovin.

I don't have a PS3 yet, I'll probably get one in the next month or two but I do own a 360 and a Wii. And honestly, no fanboyism here, I totally love my 360. A lot of great exclusive games and if you have any friends witha 360 it's always fun to play on live, not to mention the 360 has a killer lineup this fall.

Now I think the PS3 will have a huge 2008, but with the 360 you know what you are getting right now, with the PS3 you will kinda have to wait a little while before the true blockbusters come out.

If you have a lot of PS2 games and can wait for some killer PS3 games, I would go ahead and get one with the Emotion Engine chips in it. As of right now, 360 owns the sports market. I am sure EA will come around next year and make a better sports line for the PS3. Madden @ 30 fps is sad. The 360 has also been out longer and most of the devs know how to make really great games for it. I own all three and play my 360 the most, even though I am a big time Nintendo fan. All three have their strong points and weaknesses, I feel right now, that the 360 has the most pros going for it. Yeah it might break, but it will be replaced for the next 3 years.

Alright, I'm not going to bore you with fanboy-ism. Personally, I've been a Wii60 person since the Wii launched. I haven't picked up on the 360 end of that yet, though.

Either way, if you do want a PS3, I don't think I would get it now. There are rumblings of a price drop.

Yeah, your uncle seems very nice if he's offering to give you a PS3/360, but you (and him as well) might be better off waiting until closer to Christmas. The probability of another price drop seems high.

[quote name='WiiGame']Most gamers have owned a PS2 sometime in there life. I have a Wii, and love it to death (so much that its the only game system I have connected...lol), but wanted to know if I should get a PS3 as well? is the ps3 going to get any worthwhile games or is the blu-ray any good? or any other reasons to get it? does anybody think it'll pick up the pace in terms of a userbase in the next year or so?[/QUOTE]

trust me its worth every penny, and right now you getting 5 free movies, game, two controllers. The blu ray drive alone is 500 - 1000 dollars. The system is well built... just look around the PS3 forums... no huge PS3 graveyards here. PS3 has games, and there's more to come.

[quote name='WiiGame']
actually, the only reason i ask is because my uncle owns an electronic store and he says pick a 360 or a ps3...lol. i'm leaning to 360 just cause of xbox live (of the games i know, i only like the sports games on 360 and ps3), but wanted to see if there were any reasons to get a ps3 over a 360.[/quote]

ObDisclosure: I just finished deciding whether I wanted a PS3 or a 360. I chose the PS3.

Reasons to get a 360 instead of a PS3:

1. More games
2. XBOX Live
3. Slightly cheaper entry point

Also, bundled up in reasons 1 and 3, because there are more games and it's been out longer, you can get more games for less money.

Reasons to get a PS3 instead of a 360:

1. Reliability
2. Cool hardware
3. PSN is free

Bonus: If you get a 20 or 60GB PS3, you get pretty much full backwards compatibility. 80GB and Future PS3s are a work in progress.

Let me explain #2. The PS3 is a lot like the PSP -- extremely cool, flexible hardware, that does a lot of things well and gives you many ways to do things. I'm impressed by all the thought that went into it. I got a 60GB, and I like that I have everything I need out of the box, and that I can upgrade my hard drive if I want to, without paying extortion prices.

For me, the dealbreaker was reliability. I've gone through two original XBOXes, and I don't want to do that again. I decided that until the new chips appear and 360 reliability increases, I want no part of it.

It was interesting -- when I bought my PS3 at GameStop, the employees asked me if I had considered the 360. I basically told them what I said above. One of the employees confessed he was on his fourth 360.

On the one hand, that's exactly what I want to avoid. On the other, it still speaks highly of the gaming on the 360 that people still like it, despite its problems.

[quote name='WiiGame']Most gamers have owned a PS2 sometime in there life. I have a Wii, and love it to death (so much that its the only game system I have connected...lol), but wanted to know if I should get a PS3 as well? is the ps3 going to get any worthwhile games or is the blu-ray any good? or any other reasons to get it? does anybody think it'll pick up the pace in terms of a userbase in the next year or so?[/quote]

The way I am approaching this generation is this.

Buy the Wii now, wait on the others. Do I think the other systems are worth it? Definitely, but I can NOT justify spending $65 after tax on a new game I want to play.

I will definitely get both (I have already had 360 one time and it was great), but I have to have a great selection of cheap used games before I can get either one of those.

I will add that I use the Wii as a Gamecube quite often.

[quote name='Thomas96']trust me its worth every penny, and right now you getting 5 free movies, game, two controllers. The blu ray drive alone is 500 - 1000 dollars. The system is well built... just look around the PS3 forums... no huge PS3 graveyards here. PS3 has games, and there's more to come.[/quote]

Well build = .02% PS3 Failure Rate

Compared to X360 = 60% Failure Rate

its not a good time to get a 360 unless it has the updated 65nm chips.. you're really throwing your money away by buying a 360.. especially when you know it has problems.

[quote name='schuerm26']
Buy the Wii now, wait on the others. Do I think the other systems are worth it? Definitely, but I can NOT justify spending $65 after tax on a new game I want to play. [/quote]
I would never spend $65 on a game either. However, if one doesn't mind used games and keeps an eye out for good deals it's quite a good time to have a 360. I acquired mine two months ago and I have gotten a lot of the big titles on the cheap. Gears of War, Oblivion, Dead Rising, Viva Pinata, Lost Planet etc... all in good condition, some new, all without spending more than $25 per game.

In terms of new releases, you're right though. Being a cheap-ass will force me to wait many months before even the used versions will be a price I find palatable

[quote name='thomas96']
its not a good time to get a 360 unless it has the updated 65nm chips.. you're really throwing your money away by buying a 360.[/quote] I don't think this is true at all. I'm sending mine in for repairs soon(DREs), but I don't feel like I've thrown my money away. I've quite enjoyed my game experience so far, and I'll enjoy it again after I have the machine back. It sucks that these problems happen, but the lengthy warranty is very reassuring in this regard.

[quote name='looploop']I would never spend $65 on a game either. However, if one doesn't mind used games and keeps an eye out for good deals it's quite a good time to have a 360. I acquired mine two months ago and I have gotten a lot of the big titles on the cheap. Gears of War, Oblivion, Dead Rising, Viva Pinata, Lost Planet etc... all in good condition, some new, all without spending more than $25 per game.

In terms of new releases, you're right though. Being a cheap-ass will force me to wait many months before even the used versions will be a price I find palatable

I don't think this is true at all. I'm sending mine in for repairs soon(DREs), but I don't feel like I've thrown my money away. I've quite enjoyed my game experience so far, and I'll enjoy it again after I have the machine back. It sucks that these problems happen, but the lengthy warranty is very reassuring in this regard.[/quote]

I just saw that amazon deal for Prey for $12 or so. That makes me want to buy the 360 again, and Im pretty sure I will relatively shortly. Probably after the christmas season.

[quote name='Thomas96']its not a good time to get a 360 unless it has the updated 65nm chips.. you're really throwing your money away by buying a 360.. especially when you know it has problems.[/quote]

Haha, that is too funny. Anyway, go with the system that has your games you want to play.

You have to look at it from this perspective, which is how I've been looking at the value I'm getting this gen.

Does the system you're looking at have:

Everything you need and nothing you don't want?
The price YOU want to pay?
The GAMES YOU want to play?

If you can't solidly answer YES to ALL THREE of those questions, then stick with what you have and wait until you CAN answer those three questions with a YES.

[quote name='looploop']it's quite a good time to have a 360. I acquired mine two months ago [/quote]
[quote name='looploop']I'm sending mine in for repairs soon(DREs)[/quote]
:roll:::boggle:::roll:

Where's Mana Knight when you need him?

To the OP: I went through the same decision you're being faced with, with the only exception being that I DIDN'T enjoy the Wii. When it came down to choosing between PS3 and 360, I finally chose PS3 for many of the same reasons other posters listed. The reliability is there, the built-in Blu-Ray drive is a plus, the non-proprietary hard drive, the full backwards compatibility on the 60 gb model, and the selection of games for 2008 already looks promising.

I haven't picked mine up just yet, but rest assured I'll have one before Christmas.

[quote name='blandstalker']:roll:::boggle:::roll:[/quote]
yeah, like I said, it sucks, but it's getting taken care of.:roll: I never had any help getting my PS1 or Dreamcast repaired when they started going wonky on me about a year in. So long as they fix it I can be patient.

[quote name='looploop']yeah, like I said, it sucks, but it's getting taken care of.:roll: I never had any help getting my PS1 or Dreamcast repaired when they started going wonky on me about a year in. So long as they fix it I can be patient.[/quote]
You say that now, but what happens when H3, Mass effect, and COD 4 come out. Mine is out for repair right now and I believe it won't be back till h3 has already come out. I can wait, but there are many people who will be going crazy this holiday season when there console craps out just before the game they have been waiting months (if now years) to play comes out.

On buying a ps3 I think it is all about the money. If it is not such a big deal to buy it then go ahead, it is worth the money, but are you will to pay?

If you're into launch titles and playing them when they launch, then yeah sometimes having a 360 can be a royal PITA.

My friend has a 360 and it's going dead. He's so pissed because he won't get it back when Halo 3 launched. I don't want to buy it until he and my other friend are getting Halo 3.

I'm not too big on launch titles or playing them at launch or whatever, so the PS3 and 360 really was a toss up for me. Bioshock is arguably game of the year, but we have to see what else comes out. Heavenly Sword is definitely not game of the year, but we have so many titles around the corner, you have to see what pans out. Smash Brothers Brawl could blow the doors off any game out. Halo 3 could be game of the year, but I doubt it since I've heard it's pretty much what Halo 1 was with new graphics and the continued story line.

Really, you gotta pick your poison man. Like someone said, if you had to make a thread about it, chances are you don't need it. If I was getting either system for free though, I would go with the PS3 just because it's less hassle to get into.

For me the PS3 is an amazing piece of kit. It's near-silent, beautiful, and it's kind of exciting how it's evolving. However: My PS3 is ostensibly a Blu-ray player. I VERY, rarely play games on my PS3.

I have a lot of friends who have moved over the years and everyone has a 360. So my social hub outside of real life is very much on the 360. Frankly, even if a PS3 game did look better than its 360 counterpart I'd still buy it on 360, just because of Live.

So for me, since gaming is my primary hobby; followed closely by home theater, both 360 and PS3 are a must. The PS3 is a phenomenal piece of home theater hardware. It's arguably the best Blu-ray player. It's a great DVD player. An amazing CD player. A great SACD player. And a pretty solid media extender.

The reliability issue with the 360 can't be ignored, but they have a great warranty and it appears the new hardware addresses the problem (we hope!). Still though, not everyone is going to have a hardware failure with 360. I haven't and the bulk of the 40+ friends on my friends list are still on their launch box.

Home looks pretty cool

Never thought I'd say this - but it has me reconsidering the PS3. Esp because I think the PS3 is a bit advanced for it's time - I have a feeling it has yet to hit it's stride.

bread's done
Back