PS3 Slim 160 GB console available on Gamestop.com

Pretty weak upgrade if you ask me. They should just make the 250GB the standard, and increase the premium capacity to 320 or 500. Also that GOWIII bundle is ridiculous. The pricing amount makes zero sense. I'd say there's definitely something messed up here.

A white console? Why the hell can't Sony release a clear case for their consoles. That would be an interesting choice and set them apart from all of the black/white consoles out there now.

Personally though, I wish Sony would just better educate all the dumbass consumers that they can upgrade their own HDD's and stop releasing different SKU's already.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']A white console? Why the hell can't Sony release a clear case for their consoles. That would be an interesting choice and set them apart from all of the black/white consoles out there now.

Personally though, I wish Sony would just better educate all the dumbass consumers that they can upgrade their own HDD's and stop releasing different SKU's already.[/QUOTE]

They're not releasing new SKUs for existing users, they're releasing them for new users. As HDD prices drop, they can upgrade the PS3 HDD while still keeping the same price. It's a win-win. Sony sells more consoles because of the increased space, and consumers get more space for the same price as the old model.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']A white console? Why the hell can't Sony release a clear case for their consoles. That would be an interesting choice and set them apart from all of the black/white consoles out there now.

Personally though, I wish Sony would just better educate all the dumbass consumers that they can upgrade their own HDD's and stop releasing different SKU's already.[/QUOTE]

or at the very least sell shells so those who know how can change their console shell to something different.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Also that GOWIII bundle is ridiculous. The pricing amount makes zero sense. I'd say there's definitely something messed up here.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's like they added up the retail value and tacked it on. Same goes for the 'accessory' bundle. $80 extra for a controller and remote? fucking hilarious!

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']What does this mean, the 120GB are now going to price drop/discontinued?[/QUOTE]

That'd be my hope, though it might go the way of being priced the same but retailers might tack on a free game or accessory or some bullshit. Probably officially announced tomorrow at gamescom.

Wonder if the 250 will get a bump to 320 sometime soon?

[quote name='lokizz']or at the very least sell shells so those who know how can change their console shell to something different.[/QUOTE]
Only problem with that is it voids the warranty then.

It would've been a better 'win-win' if they were able to keep all of the functions of the original model fat PS3's while lowering the damned price.:roll:

Gamestop.com has been doing this a lot recently. For example there was a listing on their site for Dragon Age Ultimate Collector's Edition for PS3 and 360, making others assume that theres going to be a GOTY. Then 2 days later they took it down.

I guess there not suppose to release these information yet.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Looks like it's gone now. Interesting...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Gamestop.com has been doing this a lot recently. For example there was a listing on their site for Dragon Age Ultimate Collector's Edition for PS3 and 360, making others assume that theres going to be a GOTY. Then 2 days later they took it down.

I guess there not suppose to release these information yet.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, even if its not available for order right now its almost a guarantee that Sony will be announcing it soon if Gamestop had a product listing already prepped for it.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Wonder if the 250 will get a bump to 320 sometime soon?[/QUOTE]

You know I just realized that Japan already has the 160 as a base model and 320 as the higher end model same prices as before. I guess it was a matter of time before they hit here. This sku should also have the 40nm gpu.

I'm guessing it's gonna just be HDD bumps that'll come alongside the PS Move bundles that were announced at E3. At least you can rest assured that they'll be the new CECH-21XX models with lower power consumption.

It'll probably breakdown like this:
$299: 120GB --> 160GB
$349: 250GB --> 320GB

...and maybe a ceramic white PS3?

Also, don't want to overlook that the outrageous GOW3 bundle was probably GameStop's and not necessarily something of Sony's doing.

[quote name='MICHAE2414']I'm guessing it's gonna just be HDD bumps that'll come alongside the PS Move bundles that were announced at E3. At least you can rest assured that they'll be the new CECH-21XX models with lower power consumption.

It'll probably breakdown like this:
$299: 120GB --> 160GB
$349: 250GB --> 320GB

...and maybe a ceramic white PS3?

Also, don't want to overlook that the outrageous GOW3 bundle was probably GameStop's and not necessarily something of Sony's doing.[/QUOTE]

The bump in HDD size but same price point is probably why they are waiting to the last possible moment to announce the new bundles. They want to milk as many sales of the 120 and 250 as possible before the new consoles come out. It will probably be similar to last year's Slim launch in that they will "officially" announce the release just a few days before they hit stores. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the consoles are being shipped to stores right now.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-160-GB/dp/B003VUO6H4

unofficially announced by amazon via twitter[/QUOTE]
Noticed the box says "Charcoal Black" on there deliberately, like there's a PS3 in another color or something...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The bump in HDD size but same price point is probably why they are waiting to the last possible moment to announce the new bundles. They want to milk as many sales of the 120 and 250 as possible before the new consoles come out. It will probably be similar to last year's Slim launch in that they will "officially" announce the release just a few days before they hit stores. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the consoles are being shipped to stores right now.[/QUOTE]
Sony's Gamescom 2010 press conference is going on right now so I probably shouldn't have used the phrase "alongside PS Move bundles." Guess we'll hear all about it pretty soon now.

[quote name='MICHAE2414']Noticed the box says "Charcoal Black" on there deliberately, like there's a PS3 in another color or something....[/QUOTE]

Do you know if they always indicated color on the box? That could be an indication that N.A. is getting the White console as well.

[quote name='MICHAE2414']Noticed the box says "Charcoal Black" on there deliberately, like there's a PS3 in another color or something...[/QUOTE]

Awesome Nice catch ;)

[quote name='ssjmichael']Do you know if they always indicated color on the box? That could be an indication that N.A. is getting the White console as well.[/QUOTE]

Possibly. As for them stating the color of the past models, hmm I don't know I never thought they needed to, since they were all black. I'm still hoping for the white models to come along.

Is this going to use any hardware different compared to the last one like a smaller chip set or color? or is it just another increase in Hard Drive space? If its just a larger Hard Drive is does not really matter since you can change one out yourself easily.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Awesome Nice catch ;)

Possibly. As for them stating the color of the past models, hmm I don't know I never thought they needed to, since they were all black. I'm still hoping for the white models to come along.[/QUOTE]

My 60GB box doesn't have anything specifying a color, but they did have the metallic silver Metal Gear Solid PS3 that had an actual name.

However, they might just be specifying because of the Classic White PS3 in other regions. I guess we'll know one way or another very soon.

It looks like the 320 GB HDD may initially be exclusive to the Move Bundle.

4900449698_48e2a5fd5e.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...stem-models-featuring-160gb-320gb-hard-drives

[quote name='ssjmichael']Pretty weak upgrade if you ask me. They should just make the 250GB the standard, and increase the premium capacity to 320 or 500. Also that GOWIII bundle is ridiculous. The pricing amount makes zero sense. I'd say there's definitely something messed up here.[/QUOTE]

Any upgrade for same price is nice. The next time it probably will be 250/500 since they always make the more expensive one have at least twice as much space. GS never lowers the prices on bundled items compared to buying those items separately.

Well, looks like the 160GB PS3 is real and fine for what it is. The soon-to-be-discounted-by-retailers 120GB model, though, is the deal to look forward to in the coming weeks - I doubt both the 120GB and the 160GB would sell for the same price MSRP. (Well, actually, didn't Sony do that before when introducing a new SKU?)

Too bad there's no white PS3; it would've been a nice addition at this point.

I guess Gamestop.com is going to continue selling PS3 120 GB along with the 160 GB model since I haven't seen a price drop at all.

I really hope retailers do a bundle of at least one free $60 game, 2 greatest hits titles, gift card, or something worth while to move the 120 GB models still on the shelf soon.

bread's done
Back