Ps3 Slim overheating

Megiddo_CAG

Banned
Is it unusual for one of the new 120 gig ps3 slims to get really hot at times? Near the top of the ps3, after a bit of playing, 30 minutes - 2 hours it gets really hot.

I have it on a shelve under my tv.

Did you check if there stream of warm air coming out from the vent in the back? If there isn't you should really be worry. I don't have a slim but my Phat doesn't get hot on the top but sometime you can hear the fan growl.

If your fan kicks on, that's GOOD. My Slim gets hot mid-back often, too, but you have to remember 1/3rd of the console is the power supply so the last 3rd (from front to back) is where that is, causing a lot of heat.

Yeah, they just get horrendously warm in the back. I discovered that after unplugging it right after a two hour session... those cables were HOT. Haven't had a problem, though. It was even a completely open area.

I moved it to an open area, on top of my entertainment console. Still gets warm, but fan kicks in, and I've had no issues.

Does anyone hear a large cracking sound a few minutes after they turn it on? I know it's the plastic expanding from the heat but it still makes me cringe.

As long as there's hot air coming out of the vents in the back, you shouldn't worry. It's hard to guage what you mean by hot... yeah, it runs hotter than older systems (and the Wii) but it should be significantly cooler than the fat PS3 and the 360.

Keep an eye on the plastic though, if that starts to warp then you probably have a cooling issue.

[quote name='camoor']I moved it to an open area, on top of my entertainment console. Still gets warm, but fan kicks in, and I've had no issues.

Does anyone hear a large cracking sound a few minutes after they turn it on? I know it's the plastic expanding from the heat but it still makes me cringe.[/QUOTE]

I hear the expanding/crack a couple minutes after I turn my Slim on and off. Ditto on the cringing but at least I know it's the plastic.

I'm not surprised. If anything, keep your Slim in a very open and ventilated area. The heat should lower with some air flow.

But if you put your hand on the back where the fan grill is you should feel a stream of warm air come out. If you don't that will be quiet worrisome.

[quote name='luan87us']But if you put your hand on the back where the fan grill is you should feel a stream of warm air come out. If you don't that will be quiet worrisome.[/QUOTE]

Yeah a light stream of warm air is blowing out of the back of my ps3 slim. Near the front and the sides are the "cool sides"

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Yeah a light stream of warm air is blowing out of the back of my ps3 slim. Near the front and the sides are the "cool sides"[/QUOTE]
than that means you're fan is working. No worry. It might just feel warm because the Slim parts are closer to the case since the body is smaller.

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']There's your problem right there.[/QUOTE]

Not to sound like an ass... but......

Why the fuck does a game console need a pedistal? They should be MADE to be inside wall units.

The slim does get rediculously hot after 2 hours. I watched a blu-ray and I got scared that it was going to melt the wires.

I have mine on the carpet, but it's been really cold here lately, so I think it'll be okay. I have it running for hours downloading demos, so I hope I'm not destroying it.

[quote name='cooljammer00']I have mine on the carpet, but it's been really cold here lately, so I think it'll be okay. I have it running for hours downloading demos, so I hope I'm not destroying it.[/QUOTE]

It's not a great idea to have electronic that runs hot on carpet. Might want to move it on a hard surface.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Not to sound like an ass... but......

Why the fuck does a game console need a pedistal? They should be MADE to be inside wall units.

The slim does get rediculously hot after 2 hours. I watched a blu-ray and I got scared that it was going to melt the wires.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice, but these new consoles except for maybe the Wii are basically PCs. There's no way a high-end PC can operate in a small enclosed wall unit without overheating unless it is watercooled.

[quote name='camoor']I moved it to an open area, on top of my entertainment console. Still gets warm, but fan kicks in, and I've had no issues.

Does anyone hear a large cracking sound a few minutes after they turn it on? I know it's the plastic expanding from the heat but it still makes me cringe.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was just me that cringed when I hear the loud cracking sound from the PS3 slim. Then again, my fat model did the same thing after an extended playing session.

Of course, it doesn't help that I sit less than 5 feet from the system, so everything sounds loud(cracking noises, fan, etc).

I have my slim on the same wooden table I had the fat model, so it should be good.

The Wii and Playstation 3 seem to get hot after a long use. What i do to help the situation is i have my laptop coaster deal where it the laptop can sit on and has a optional fan that plugs into the usb port. I plug it into the ps3 and wiis when i play and it help keeps it cool.

i dont have any issues with my phat ps3. I would leave this thing on for 8 hrs sometimes. Never had issues. I heard that crack before and the fan as well.

bread's done
Back