PS3 Slim vs PS3 BC

japatten

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I'm weighing my options for buying a PS3 and I've narrowed it down to two choices:

A Backwards Compatiable PS3
-or-
A PS3 Slim w/ 250 GB HD

There are obviously benefits to both...

Advantages for BC PS3:
Cheaper $$$
Play PS1 and PS2 games
Buying cheap PS1 and PS2 games and playing them = WIN!

Disadvantages for BC PS3:
Old warranty
Possbility of problematic past

Advantages of PS3 Slim:
New warranty
No worrying about previous history of the console
HUGE memory: 250 GB

Disadvantages of PS3 Slim:
More $$$
No BC!

Help me decide by voting!
I have $392 in my Paypal...up to you guys...money isn't an issue!

Don't forget you can play PS1 games on the slim ;)

I'd go for the slim. I have a slim and a BC PS3, and although I like the design of the fat PS3 better, the PS3 slims uses less energy, and is a lot more quiet! I haven't touched a PS2 game since I started playing PS3 games, so it really is not worth it at all. So many great games on the PS3, there is no need to play through most PS2 games at this point.

Older PS3s have been running into a lot of problems. I had to replace the Blu-ray lens on my 80 GB w/ BC. It was about 2 years old.

Unless you have wireless PS2 controllers, you'll be sitting pretty close to your tv when playing PS2 games on a PS2 console. Not to mention if you have an oversize tv set.

I've had my 80GB w/ bc for 3 years and the only thing I had to replace was the sixaxis controller. There is something about the convenience of playing all (most) of your games in one console. That's my story. However, you'll be buying a used system so theres no saying what abuse it's been through. My vote get a "new" in box PS3.

[quote name='robodaddyo']Just go through Amazon and get the CECH-2101A for the latest revision. ;)[/QUOTE]

Alrighty. Is there anything special about the latest one?

My original Cecha01 got a YLOD back in March It's up in my closet right now. I just can't part with it maybe one day I'll find someone to fix it. Luckily also it's 3.15 and Linux could still go on it. I bought a 2nd cecha off ebay but the 3rd fan came on in like 10 minutes so I said the hell with it.

Point is if your a gamer and you need a new PS3 just get the slim. Warranty, your not taking a pre-3.15 away from the world, and if you reaaaly need to play PS2 just use an emulator on your computer >D

[quote name='japatten']Alrighty. Is there anything special about the latest one?[/QUOTE]

it's rumored to have a smaller graphics chip, i think. it's worth getting if you can. less power, less heat, blah blah blah.

Hey,

Do you know where I can get that CECH-2101A model? I checked on Amazon as you said...nothing! Also, does Amazon take Paypal? Because I have almost $400 in my Paypal account, soon to be double that :p

My launch 20GB PS3 died twice. The BD broke first, which I paid $150 to get fixed. Then I got YLOD a month ago, so I bought a new PS3 slim with a three year warranty. I would definitely buy the slim, and buy a new PS2 slim if you really want to play PS2 games. The PS3 fats look better, and it is nice not having multiple consoles in your entertainment center, but they are just too unreliable, especially a used system.

That said, I wish game developers would emulate the God of War collection, then we wouldn't even need PS2s. Bundle Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, give them trophy support, update the graphics a little, and I'd buy it in a second. Give me Jak & Daxter series, Ratchet and Clank series, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus bundle, and even a Final Fantasy X and X-2 bundle, and I definitely don't need a PS2. I'm no developer, but I doubt doing this would take much effort. It would definitely help lessen the complaints from people like me, who originally had backwards compatibility, but lost it due to hardware failure.

[quote name='japatten']Hey,

Do you know where I can get that CECH-2101A model? I checked on Amazon as you said...nothing! Also, does Amazon take Paypal? Because I have almost $400 in my Paypal account, soon to be double that :p[/QUOTE]

No. Amazon is a direct competitor of eBay, so PayPal doesn't work. The PayPal debit card however DOES work on Amazon.

[quote name='rk0900']That said, I wish game developers would emulate the God of War collection, then we wouldn't even need PS2s.[/QUOTE]

You mean like putting out God of War and God of War II on a single Blu-Ray disc, updating the graphics, and adding trophy support? Yeah, that's already been released as the "God of War Collection".

[quote name='Anhmeister']Even with my 60GB, I would say get a Slim. The old consoles are unreliable.[/QUOTE]

The older consoles (60GB/20GB) are the best built. The majority of problems are caused by folks who think they can treat them like a PS2.

[quote name='Darklurkr23']My original Cecha01 got a YLOD back in March It's up in my closet right now. I just can't part with it maybe one day I'll find someone to fix it. Luckily also it's 3.15 and Linux could still go on it. I bought a 2nd cecha off ebay but the 3rd fan came on in like 10 minutes so I said the hell with it. [/QUOTE]

I'd have been concerned if a 3rd fan popped on in my 60GB too, considering that a 60GB Playstation 3 has only ONE fan.

[quote name='jonnyboy064']go slim, man. The HDMI port can output hd audio in bitstream in addition to everything else thats been said[/QUOTE]

That really isn't a benefit. Since firmware update 2.30 (many moons ago), "phat" Playstation 3 units have been able to decode HD audio internally and pass the lossless audio along to even last-gen HDMI receivers via Linear PCM. There's really no need to use a receiver to decode the audio.

My first 60 gig I picked up at launch had a disc read error and I had to send it in. My refurbished replacement 60 gig worked fine the only problem I had with it was the fan was on high after around 20 minutes of turning it on. It was too much of a distraction while watching movies and playing games in the dead of night. I recently replaced it for a Slim model and I couldn't be happier, that thing is so damn quiet compared to my old 60 gig. The only thing I do miss is the added USB ports, having only 2 on my Slim is just not enough for me.

"You mean like putting out God of War and God of War II on a single Blu-Ray disc, updating the graphics, and adding trophy support? Yeah, that's already been released as the "God of War Collection"."

Wow. Total /facepalm. Clearly I know that. I was saying other developers should follow the God of War collection...reading comprehension ftw.

I had a first gen up till 6 days ago when it YLOD to which i replaced it with a slim...

this is based 100% off what i saw/experienced and should not be taken as stone cold figures!

First off based off where you get the System, and how well its taken care of youll see any level of effort put forth! When i got my referb from GS (I didnt want to trust some person trying to flip a YLOD/soon to be YLOD) The HDD blue screw was striped... I brought this to gamestops attention explaining I didnt expeect them to fix it, or for them to cover it in any way... but i was showing my distaste for such lazyness (you would think the HDD would be easily removeable...) Gamestop did reply giving me the terms of return, and that was it... I called sony about this matter, and got no help either... This is common on both models but atleast if you get it new you wont need to pay someone/taking a power tool to your PS3 =P (costs about 10 - 30 to fix)

as far as going to a site like gamestop (again going for a reputable place over a random person with random rates) As i expected the first gen one (with emotion chip) costs more than a new slim, and only features 30 day warranty!

the fat is far more of a dust trap, and its easy for all those ports to get cloged with dust over time... and it is quite loud when its warm.

as far as the slim, its noticeably smaller (more than i expected), if youre like me youll end up spending quite a bit of the difference between slim/BC fat on getting the extra USB ports...

Really before getting into anything else ill just bullet point it (since i dont really want to look back thinking about it... sorry =\)

Slim:

• Smaller
  • Lighter
  • Works a bit better
  • Costs less
  • toys r us for instance has a bundle with a 20 usd PSN card this week, and Costco has a PS3 remote/Uncharted bundle for 329 usd (if you wanted to know a good retail place)
  • Netflix disc + free trial
  • Dualshock 3
  • Cheaper looking
  • Easier/looks cleaner
  • Standard HDD (120) is far more useful than the 20/60/80

Phat

• Can play PS2 games, and has virtual PS2 memory cards! but you need to find a adaptor...
  • 4 usb ports
  • Media center slots (their just kinda neat)
  • Other OS (Removed)
  • Sixaxis (youll need to buy a DS 3 in 99/100 cases =\)
  • 1 month warranty max... Gamestop said it would cost 100 for a year if you were interested (costs 150+ to send it into sony, and about 300 for a slim replacement lol)
  • YLOD = the end in most cases, if you get it fixed it shouldnt be a perm solution... so youll need to replace
  • Cost more
  • has a less useful HDD (some games like yakuza 3, and biohazard 5 = 5 gb data utility)

Sorry if it was confusing or if i was too late, but i thought i would toss in my 2 cents since i had both ^^;;

----

Off topic... kinda:

[quote name='rk0900']"You mean like putting out God of War and God of War II on a single Blu-Ray disc, updating the graphics, and adding trophy support? Yeah, that's already been released as the "God of War Collection"."

Wow. Total /facepalm. Clearly I know that. I was saying other developers should follow the God of War collection...reading comprehension ftw.[/QUOTE]

I disagree strongly, Though it was cool for those who never played GoW like me, and didnt care to pay 20 for a dated game... The collection is not really something i wish to see again, 1 for instance doesnt look too great... but 2 was ok! but that shouldnt be the solution to PS2 playability... nor will it ever work for a lot of classic games for the PS2

[quote name='EarthKing']Are the older PS3 models really that unreliable...I have the 60gb launch PS3 and still no problems *knock on wood*[/QUOTE]

No, the 20GB and 60GB models are not at all unreliable. The problem is that many who picked them up had no idea they should treat them as a high-end electronic item rather than a PS2 or Gamecube.

I was in Gamestop a couple weeks ago and ran across a gal who was talking about how she wouldn't buy a PS3 again because the one she got her son when it came out cost $600 and was now broken. She then mentioned that they treated it really well too...y'know, putting it in a closed-in entertainment center and all. Couldn't figure out why she now had a $600 paperweight in her basement. Keep in mind that this discussion happened while she was returning a gouged Xbox 360 disc the same kid damaged while moving his 360 system from horizontal to vertical while it was on WITH the disc inside it.

Then I helped a buddy of mine buy a slim PS3 last week. I stopped over this past weekend to install a router and set up the PS3. Imagine my horror when he pulls the PS3 out of the bottom of an enclosed entertainment center cabinet. Inside, right next to it, is a desktop computer he has hooked up to the TV. Imagine the heat that builds up underneath that thing. And as I'm trying to tell him he shouldn't DO THAT, I'm getting an argument about how they open the cabinet door "most of the time" when they play the PS3.

These aren't isolated cases. Your average consumer has no idea how to properly treat high-end electronics. None. But that group is the primary supplier of your local Gamestop's used/refurbished inventory. Yeah. Scary.

Because of that, my advice to anyone would be to NOT purchase a used or refurbished older PS3 unless they either plan ahead for a $150 repair bill from Sony OR know how to fix them themselves. Double ditto that for non-backward compatible 40GB units with dual-laser BD drives. Those units are not well made.

It's unfortuate, because the launch PS3's are the best built and most reliable of the bunch. The average person who owns them, however, is much MUCH less reliable.

My BC 60GB has had no problems whatsoever... however, since I don't use the PS2 compatibility (did a little, but don't see doing so again) I'm considering selling it to get a slim.

I don't see buying a BC version as being cheaper, though, they tend to cost as much as the slim since they're considerably more rare.

Get what your wallet affords ...

I have two 60 GB original phat PS3s, no problems whatsoever. I have upgraded hard drives to 500GB and sold the 60GBs on eBay

[quote name='SteelSD']It's unfortuate, because the launch PS3's are the best built and most reliable of the bunch.[/QUOTE]I'm going to have to disagree with the first portion of this statement. I've seen the inside of the 60GB model and first two 80GB models before they lost PS2 BC and have to say that the MGS4 edition is the best built of the three as it has better passive cooling around some of the chips on the mainboard and a protective plate over the logic board of the blu-ray drive. It also has a better quality fan with bigger blades to push air through at a better, more efficient rate.

If you already have a ps2 there's no need for a fatPS3 but either way I would say get the slim.

I have a FATps3 launch system and haven't had any problems with it but I would recommend the slim still.

I also read today Sony is unveiling there own warranty plan for the ps3 and psp. You can read all about it here.

http://gaming-age.com/news/2010/5/3-5

Get the Slim, you'll realize PS2 BC isn't as important as you think. If you never owned a PS2 then just get a used slimline model for like $60 at Gamestop

I disagree. What no one has stated is PS2 games on HDTV look like crap if they aren't upscaled with a Phat PS3 (or upscaled in some manner). My PS2 games were unplayable (at least for me) on my HDTV because I felt they looked so bad it detracted from the playing experience. That's why I bought a Phat. Didn't even play a PS3 game for almost a year on it. That said, I haven't played many PS2 games on my PS3 lately. Too busy with . . . you know . . . PS3 games.

[quote name='skiizim']If you already have a ps2 there's no need for a fatPS3 but either way I would say get the slim.

I have a FATps3 launch system and haven't had any problems with it but I would recommend the slim still.

I also read today Sony is unveiling there own warranty plan for the ps3 and psp. You can read all about it here.

http://gaming-age.com/news/2010/5/3-5[/QUOTE]

[quote name='andyjharper']I disagree. What no one has stated is PS2 games on HDTV look like crap if they aren't upscaled with a Phat PS3 (or upscaled in some manner). My PS2 games were unplayable (at least for me) on my HDTV because I felt they looked so bad it detracted from the playing experience. That's why I bought a Phat. Didn't even play a PS3 game for almost a year on it. That said, I haven't played many PS2 games on my PS3 lately. Too busy with . . . you know . . . PS3 games.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this, but i wasnt sure if it was just me, or i didnt set something up properly so i didnt post it

[quote name='SteelSD']No, the 20GB and 60GB models are not at all unreliable. The problem is that many who picked them up had no idea they should treat them as a high-end electronic item rather than a PS2 or Gamecube.

I was in Gamestop a couple weeks ago and ran across a gal who was talking about how she wouldn't buy a PS3 again because the one she got her son when it came out cost $600 and was now broken. She then mentioned that they treated it really well too...y'know, putting it in a closed-in entertainment center and all. Couldn't figure out why she now had a $600 paperweight in her basement. Keep in mind that this discussion happened while she was returning a gouged Xbox 360 disc the same kid damaged while moving his 360 system from horizontal to vertical while it was on WITH the disc inside it.

Then I helped a buddy of mine buy a slim PS3 last week. I stopped over this past weekend to install a router and set up the PS3. Imagine my horror when he pulls the PS3 out of the bottom of an enclosed entertainment center cabinet. Inside, right next to it, is a desktop computer he has hooked up to the TV. Imagine the heat that builds up underneath that thing. And as I'm trying to tell him he shouldn't DO THAT, I'm getting an argument about how they open the cabinet door "most of the time" when they play the PS3.

These aren't isolated cases. Your average consumer has no idea how to properly treat high-end electronics. None. But that group is the primary supplier of your local Gamestop's used/refurbished inventory. Yeah. Scary.

Because of that, my advice to anyone would be to NOT purchase a used or refurbished older PS3 unless they either plan ahead for a $150 repair bill from Sony OR know how to fix them themselves. Double ditto that for non-backward compatible 40GB units with dual-laser BD drives. Those units are not well made.

It's unfortuate, because the launch PS3's are the best built and most reliable of the bunch. The average person who owns them, however, is much MUCH less reliable.[/QUOTE]

I like the 360, but the whole rrod was ridiculous. For both the 360 and the PS3, it is not a crazy idea to put them in an av closet. If that is what kills those machines, they weren't designed right. Or clearly there should have been a sticker saying these things need additional cooling. I don't remember seeing a warning for either.

Op, if you can afford the slim, you'd be crazy not to buy that one.

[quote name='tigerpants']I like the 360, but the whole rrod was ridiculous. For both the 360 and the PS3, it is not a crazy idea to put them in an av closet. If that is what kills those machines, they weren't designed right. Or clearly there should have been a sticker saying these things need additional cooling. I don't remember seeing a warning for either.

Op, if you can afford the slim, you'd be crazy not to buy that one.[/QUOTE]
Its not, it speeds up the process... on the first day i had a Phat, i decided to put it in my little enclosed area *about 9 feet across so it had tons of breathing room, and used it with the doors open* and it over heated within hours, from there i moved it to next to my TV... and after a year of gaming with it out in the open with all the breathing room, it still died, and still froze all the time randomly in a game! When i was trying to play Hokuto Muso for instance it froze 29 times before i got the plat

but a lot of people dont factor in how much its used, my brother has his Xbox in a VERY BAD enclosed area... Maybe 1 - 2.5 inches from a wall on all 4 sides, and its still working fine, better than my PS3 even... with no RROD

Off topic: yes SteelSD, I'd say the BEST way to get to know everyone on CAG is to misinterpret their statements, and piss on 4 people's thoughts in a single post. I can tell, you're gonna be a blast to have around! (and I can definitely tell you're somewhat of an expert for sure) ;)

But seriously man, lighten up. We try hard to maintain civility, assistance and peer support in this community, and if you can't blend with that, you're gonna get to be hated faster than you can say "YMMV"

But back to the question at hand: I spent $500 bucks on the MGS4 80gb ps3 bundle at Best Buy when it came out in (I think) 2007 (it was the last BC model to be sold in stores, so I bit), and my ventures since then back into the world of ps2 have been about 5 hours of Rogue Galaxy. In 3 years. As many people say, the only game(s) I really wanted to go back to was the GOWs, but now that the collection's out, there is basically no need. The only ps2 discs that have EVER been in the disc slot are Rogue Galaxy, GOW 1 and GOW 2. Granted, I did want to go back and play R&C Up Your Arsenal, but none of those games are compatible on my 80gb system :cry:

But say you do want to play ps2 games alot: with the ps3 you get upscaling, a true Sony wireless controller, and you only have to have one system on your shelf.

So if you want to play those ps2 games alot then you're gonna wanna spring for the BC models, but keep in mind there's a huge library of ps3 games already available waiting for you to play. As the guy at Gamestop told me when I bought my 360: "once you experience the current gen games, you won't even want to look back".

Personally I would deal with the slim's lack of BC if it meant I could buy it new and get an extended warranty from a store when I buy it. Besides, you can pick up a used ps2 slim for like 40 bucks.

Either way, I'm sure you're gonna be happy with your purchase. :D

Good luck!

Slim, most of the newer releases are really good games, why go back to ps2? I have a 360 and ps3 with a backlog of about 15-20 games.

I have an original 20 GB PS3. Bought it in January 2007, and it's been going strong ever since. During the same amount of time, I went through 4 360s before ultimately giving up on that system.

Regardless, OP, I would purchase a brand-new system so you'll have a factory warranty. Plus, if you buy it with a credit card, most companies will extend the warranty by another year automatically. I would shy away from a used system unless you can test it thoroughly beforehand.

[quote name='robodaddyo']I'm going to have to disagree with the first portion of this statement. I've seen the inside of the 60GB model and first two 80GB models before they lost PS2 BC and have to say that the MGS4 edition is the best built of the three as it has better passive cooling around some of the chips on the mainboard and a protective plate over the logic board of the blu-ray drive. It also has a better quality fan with bigger blades to push air through at a better, more efficient rate.[/QUOTE]

I haven't opened up one of the 80GB BC models, so I'll take your word for it and say "Thank you" for the additional information about pre-40GB model construction.

[quote name='tigerpants']I like the 360, but the whole rrod was ridiculous. For both the 360 and the PS3, it is not a crazy idea to put them in an av closet. If that is what kills those machines, they weren't designed right. Or clearly there should have been a sticker saying these things need additional cooling. I don't remember seeing a warning for either.[/QUOTE]

Heat is death to electronics. It's insane to place it in an enclosed cabinet by itself. It's twice as crazy to put it in with something else that generates heat. As for warnings about heat, how many more does Sony need to give us?

From official PS3 'phat' user manuals:

• Do not expose the system or accessories to high temperatures, high humidity, or direct sunlight.
  • Do not block any vents. To maintain good ventilation, follow the guidelines below:
  • Place the system at least 10 cm (4 in) away from a wall surface
  • Do not place in a narrow or cramped space
  • Do not use the system in a closed cabinet or other locations where heat may build up. Doing so may cause the system to overheat and may lead to injury or malfunction.
To me, it's pretty clear what Sony has been telling us all along. Heat kills. The thing has a fan for a reason.

[quote name='unopepito06']Off topic: yes SteelSD, I'd say the BEST way to get to know everyone on CAG is to misinterpret their statements, and piss on 4 people's thoughts in a single post. I can tell, you're gonna be a blast to have around! (and I can definitely tell you're somewhat of an expert for sure) ;)

But seriously man, lighten up. We try hard to maintain civility, assistance and peer support in this community, and if you can't blend with that, you're gonna get to be hated faster than you can say "YMMV"[/QUOTE]

You seem to think I care about being "hated". I don't. I come here for information exchange; not to hold hands and sing kumbaya around the proverbial campfire.

While that may be grating to you, it's certainly just as annoying to me when someone produces a passive-aggressive thinly-veiled personal attack followed up by a silly emoticon.

So now do we have our Xbox live avatars hug it out or what?

bread's done
Back