PS3/Sony Bravia HDTV package deals at Best Buy

yeah-yeah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I'm no fan of Best Buy, but these PS3/Bravia deals are impressive:

Best Buy PS3/HDTV Package Deals

There are three TVs available: a 46" 240 Hz Bravia, a 46" 240 Hz 3D Bravia, and a a 55" 240 Hz 3D Bravia. The PS3s are the 160 GB models with Gran Turismo 5. The Blu-Ray version of 'Grown Ups' is included also. Prices vary depending on the TV model chosen, but all yield impressive savings.

I haven't seen any talk about these packages, so I figured I'd post a link in case people missed them.

I saw the Kevin Butler commercial for this, amusing as always. This actually looks like a decent deal for a PS3 and a quality hi-def television. It's just too early to buy a 3D TV though, for me anyway.

It would be a better deal if they'd throw in some 3D glasses with the 3D TV bundles, since with the PS3 you could watch 3D Blu-rays and play games in 3D. The glasses you need to get 3D functionality from the TV/PS3 combo aren't cheap ($150 a pair on BB's web site).

Well I guess it's kind of a pick your reward type of thing as far as 3D goes with the accessories, because while BB is offering the PS3, Amazon has been offering "3D bundles" with alot of their Samsung and LG 3D tv's. Most of them I looked at included a couple pairs of glasses and a 3D blu-ray film. Since I already own a PS3, I guess the free glasses would be a better route for me, but as I said earlier, it's way too early for a 3D tv for me, primarily because there still just arent enough 3D movies out there available to watch and I'm still concerned about major film studio support for the format.

Yeah, I just ordered a 55" Samsung 3D LED TV, BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player, Shrek starter kit (two pairs of 3D glasses and all four Shrek movies on 3D Blu-ray), and two extra pairs of rechargeable glasses, for a little over $2,300 shipped from Amazon. I have DirecTV, and a receiver that gets the HD channels, so I can get some 3D content there, as well as the few 3D Blu-rays that are out. The number of 3D Blu-rays seems to be picking up somewhat, but 3D is still very sparse content-wise, especially when you consider the cost of all the hardware you need.

I would definitely buy this if I didn't already have a PS3 & and 32 inches Sony Bravia TV...

Maybe 2 years from now I will be buying a 3D TV.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']Yeah, I just ordered a 55" Samsung 3D LED TV, BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player, Shrek starter kit (two pairs of 3D glasses and all four Shrek movies on 3D Blu-ray), and two extra pairs of rechargeable glasses, for a little over $2,300 shipped from Amazon. I have DirecTV, and a receiver that gets the HD channels, so I can get some 3D content there, as well as the few 3D Blu-rays that are out. The number of 3D Blu-rays seems to be picking up steam, but 3D is still very sparse content-wise, especially when you consider the cost of all the hardware you need.[/QUOTE]

For everything you got, especially considering the TV size, 2,300 really doesn't seem all that bad to jump in. I have Directv also and have looked at their 3D options. Right now I own two Samsung televisions that I am very pleased with - an older 42" 720P DLP TV upstairs that Ive had about 5 years and a 46" 1080P LCD in my living room. Ideally I'd like buy another Samsung since I am happy with the quality and I'd like to grab a 55" 3D for the living room, move the 46" upstairs to the game room and sell off the old faithful for a couple hundred or whatever I can get for it.

[quote name='JoshTX']For everything you got, especially considering the TV size, 2,300 really doesn't seem all that bad to jump in. I have Directv also and have looked at their 3D options. Right now I own two Samsung televisions that I am very pleased with - an older 42" 720P DLP TV upstairs that Ive had about 5 years and a 46" 1080P LCD in my living room. Ideally I'd like buy another Samsung since I am happy with the quality and I'd like to grab a 55" 3D for the living room, move the 46" upstairs to the game room and sell off the old faithful for a couple hundred or whatever I can get for it.[/QUOTE]

It hurts a little because I'm replacing a 60" Sharp with the 55" Samsung, although I do expect PQ, especially black levels, to improve with the LED vs. standard LCD backlighting. It's worth it to me to get 3D, as I've had Nvidia's 3D on my PC with a Blu-ray drive and PowerDVD 10 Mk II Ultra for a few months, and 3D Blu-rays look amazing on my 23" PC monitor. Can't wait to watch my 3D Blu-rays on the 55" TV. And to have enough glasses so my whole family can watch at the same time.

I liked the BOOM! commercials from last year they did these bundles. link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm2WHGgPL5A
Here is the cnet review on the cheaper 46" tv- http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl-46nx800/4505-6482_7-33955672.html
The bad: Relatively expensive; reproduces lighter black levels; darker areas tinged blue; cannot adjust dejudder processing much; less-even screen uniformity; glossy screen reflects ambient light; Netflix image quality worse than on other streaming

The tv retails for the same price as the bundle, so you get the PS3 and GT5 for free, more like a $360 savings. not $1300 savings.

Are the two higher end ones only 3d-ready? (which I would take to mean you have to buy one of the emitters that connects to the TV; I think they are only $100 or so). I did a similar bundle deal like this 2 weeks before Black Friday. I had been saving up GC's for months to put towards a newer TV, patiently waiting on the BF ads to leak. When they did, I saw that there were basically NO deals on 3d stuff, so went ahead and got in on the package they had that week. I got a 50" Samsung 3d Plasma, 2 pairs of glasses, a copy of Black Ops, and $50 in DVD's or Blu-rays for $969. Killer TV and package for the price.

[quote name='sgaldis']Are the two higher end ones only 3d-ready? (which I would take to mean you have to buy one of the emitters that connects to the TV; I think they are only $100 or so). I did a similar bundle deal like this 2 weeks before Black Friday. I had been saving up GC's for months to put towards a newer TV, patiently waiting on the BF ads to leak. When they did, I saw that there were basically NO deals on 3d stuff, so went ahead and got in on the package they had that week. I got a 50" Samsung 3d Plasma, 2 pairs of glasses, a copy of Black Ops, and $50 in DVD's or Blu-rays for $969. Killer TV and package for the price.[/QUOTE]

I'm still relatively naive to the terminology (which is even more reason for why I haven't bought 3D yet) but 3D ready means it's not 3D out the box then, eh? I remember a best buy guy telling me something about one of the Sony tv's not being 3D out the box or something like that when I did the demo. I believe the Samsung TV was though. Why would Sony bother with the whole emitter thing?

[quote name='JoshTX']I'm still relatively naive to the terminology (which is even more reason for why I haven't bought 3D yet) but 3D ready means it's not 3D out the box then, eh? I remember a best buy guy telling me something about one of the Sony tv's not being 3D out the box or something like that when I did the demo. I believe the Samsung TV was though. Why would Sony bother with the whole emitter thing?[/QUOTE]

Correct. Most TV's (aside from Sony and Mitsubishi DLPs) have the emitters built into the TV bezel. With the Sony's, for instance, you need a 50$ emitter that can stick on top of the TV (and looks sort of like a Wii sensor bar).

As far as why they did that--I can only guess. I'm going to assume it's a combination of getting 50 bucks off another accessory, as well as the fact that top mounted emitters tend to have better range/signal than do the others. The Samsungs, for instance, are generally built into the bottom corner. Makes it easier to obstruct with objects and or line of sight them.

Edit: A note on these sets. I've seen them, and my opinion is that they are "ok". I'm not really a fan of Sony's full plastic face on top of some of their LED's--it creates more glare than a lot of newer plasmas.

Getting a 240hz TV can also be a little funky for gaming. The higher refresh rate LED's tend to have a higher input latency than others since they need to get a few frames, process them, and then spit them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deal is ok. The TV in the cheapest deal was on sale for $997 at frys this weekend. Prices were improving but here comes 3D to mess it up :lol:. I also gotta go with plasma if im going to play games on a big screen. I'm sensitive to input lag so LED/LCD isn't quite for me :(

[quote name='aj slick']I liked the BOOM! commercials from last year they did these bundles. link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm2WHGgPL5A
Here is the cnet review on the cheaper 46" tv- http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-bravia-kdl-46nx800/4505-6482_7-33955672.html
The bad: Relatively expensive; reproduces lighter black levels; darker areas tinged blue; cannot adjust dejudder processing much; less-even screen uniformity; glossy screen reflects ambient light; Netflix image quality worse than on other streaming

The tv retails for the same price as the bundle, so you get the PS3 and GT5 for free, more like a $360 savings. not $1300 savings.[/QUOTE]

They have a new one, and it's freaking awesome too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lHPOwAqsYo

saw these bundles in the aile of bestbuys when i visited on sunday.

i'm probably in the market for a new tv soon. i am sadly, doing xbox/ps3/wii/pc/tv on a 23'' samsung tv/monitor. LOL.

not sure i want a sony tv. this is a good price for the bundle and sony tv's aren't bad though. i just prefer to have samsung led or panasonic plasma. i have a ps3 bundle on the way that i can return to buy this bundle, but i sort of want to play gt5 when my ps3 bundle comes in.

Amazon has a better deal.

They are offering REAL FULL 3D Panasonic HDTV's (not Sony's 3D-Ready crap). Instead of throwing in a PS3, they're throwing in a 3D Blu-Ray player and 3D Glasses (which by the way cost $75-$100 a piece).

So if you already own a PS3 but want to upgrade to FULL 3D, it is a better deal. Plus no tax (in most states) and free shipping.

Btw, according to CNET, the best 3D HDTV's you should get should either be a Panasonic or Samsung. Everything else is hit or miss.

[quote name='frpilot']i'm probably in the market for a new tv soon. i am sadly, doing xbox/ps3/wii/pc/tv on a 23'' samsung tv/monitor. LOL.[/QUOTE]
Don't be ashamed. I'm on a 21" monitor right now and that's all I plan on using with my PS3 for a loooooong time. Even then I'd probably wait until some Emerson or Sharp brand 20 some inch HDtv was down to $198 before biting on a new tv.

As for 3-D, I have the exact same sentiment about that as I do about 'rebuying' my few movies I have on Blu-Ray just because it's out now(aka it's not gonna happen).

Checked these out Sunday night in store.
The Sony 3d bundles included an Alice in Wonderland 3d Starter kit for the $1699 or $2199 price.
Wasn't impressed by the 3D.

They didn't have the actual GT5 PS3 bundle, just the individual items they wrapped together. Wasn't able to get the bundle with a different game or movie.

Not sure if the NX800 is all that great.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']It would be a better deal if they'd throw in some 3D glasses with the 3D TV bundles, since with the PS3 you could watch 3D Blu-rays and play games in 3D. The glasses you need to get 3D functionality from the TV/PS3 combo aren't cheap ($150 a pair on BB's web site).[/QUOTE]

They are if you go into the store. The HX800 and NX810 models come with the PS3 bundle (with game and movie) and the Alice in Wonderland 3D kit with movie, 2 pairs of glassses and sensor. Sale price advertised in store for the HX800 tv is $1699. Price of the HX800 bundle $1499. The NX810 bundle, an admittedly much nicer tv, is another $500.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Don't be ashamed. I'm on a 21" monitor right now and that's all I plan on using with my PS3 for a loooooong time. Even then I'd probably wait until some Emerson or Sharp brand 20 some inch HDtv was down to $198 before biting on a new tv.
[/QUOTE]

Haha. I'm not ashamed. I can manage on my monitor/tv tuner combo for a bit longer, but its getting closer and closer to the point where I feel like taking the plunge and buying a larger TV is worthwhile since I don't see any new amazing technology coming out. If I buy something now, I'd probably get something that is 120-240hz and supports 3D.

if you are waiting for a emerson or sharp brand type tv to go on the cheap, why not splooge and get a larger screen than 20''? something around 40'' might be better, otherwise you might as well continue gaming on your 21'' monitor.

[quote name='Killdozer']They didn't have the actual GT5 PS3 bundle, just the individual items they wrapped together. Wasn't able to get the bundle with a different game or movie.
[/QUOTE]

i don't think the items are actually bundled together. everytime i see bestbuys sell things as a bundle, it is usually a game console and the items tied together with rubber band around it and a flier advertising the price of the bundle.

i'm pretty sure as long as it is advertised, you can make your own bundle by bringing the necessary items of the advertised bundle to checkout and the pos system will automatically calculate the correct amount. maybe you didn't see any because your local bestbuys actually sold out of the bundles and the employees were too lazy or busy to make more bundles.

Got the $1299 TV + PS3 bundle on the front page of their ads yesterday.
They don't have the all-in-one PS3 box, so they just gave me the items (160GB PS3, GT5, Grown Ups) separately.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Amazon has a better deal.

They are offering REAL FULL 3D Panasonic HDTV's (not Sony's 3D-Ready crap). Instead of throwing in a PS3, they're throwing in a 3D Blu-Ray player and 3D Glasses (which by the way cost $75-$100 a piece).

So if you already own a PS3 but want to upgrade to FULL 3D, it is a better deal. Plus no tax (in most states) and free shipping.

Btw, according to CNET, the best 3D HDTV's you should get should either be a Panasonic or Samsung. Everything else is hit or miss.[/QUOTE]

The Panasonic's pic quality and 3D are the best out now, but their 3D glasses suck- Sony hasn't had a good set come out since the XBR-8 fully LED backlit a few years ago. Glad I got a Pioneer Elite 151 60" before they were all gone. My next set will probably be a 3D Panasonic, but when there are more than 5 movies available other than the $100 ones on ebay-

I have a 46" Sony Bravia Z series I got a couple years ago and couldn't be happier with the image quality. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed another.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Huh? From that thread I gathered the HX700 was bottom tier, X800 was middle tier, and X900 was top tier.[/QUOTE]HX700 isn't a set we get here in the US.

HX800 is at the bottom, NX810 is in the middle, the LX909 is in the upper middle and the HX909 is on top. All but the HX909 are edge lit LED, HX909 is LED backlit with local dimming, LX909 is edge lit with local dimming.

[quote name='frpilot']Haha. I'm not ashamed. I can manage on my monitor/tv tuner combo for a bit longer, but its getting closer and closer to the point where I feel like taking the plunge and buying a larger TV is worthwhile since I don't see any new amazing technology coming out. If I buy something now, I'd probably get something that is 120-240hz and supports 3D.

if you are waiting for a emerson or sharp brand type tv to go on the cheap, why not splooge and get a larger screen than 20''? something around 40'' might be better, otherwise you might as well continue gaming on your 21'' monitor.

i don't think the items are actually bundled together. everytime i see bestbuys sell things as a bundle, it is usually a game console and the items tied together with rubber band around it and a flier advertising the price of the bundle.

i'm pretty sure as long as it is advertised, you can make your own bundle by bringing the necessary items of the advertised bundle to checkout and the pos system will automatically calculate the correct amount. maybe you didn't see any because your local bestbuys actually sold out of the bundles and the employees were too lazy or busy to make more bundles.[/QUOTE]
I sit about 4-5 feet from my PS3, so I don't really need or want a huge tv. Anything over $200 is ridiculous to me for a tv, especially at the 20-something inch size I only want.:roll: I had a 27" SDtv in my room the one time for all of a day and it was virtually blinding me and it lit up half the damn house when it was on at night.:whistle2:# I took that shit back the next day and went back to a 20" tv.

As for the bundles not being everything all in one price you are correct about that. They typically price the TV for X amount, the PS3 or other gaming system for Y amount and any peripherals(wires, movies, games) at Z amount. So in reality you could return the PS3, game(s)/movie(s) and anything else and keep the tv for that much off the total price of it.;)

[quote name='sgaldis']Are the two higher end ones only 3d-ready? (which I would take to mean you have to buy one of the emitters that connects to the TV; I think they are only $100 or so). I did a similar bundle deal like this 2 weeks before Black Friday. I had been saving up GC's for months to put towards a newer TV, patiently waiting on the BF ads to leak. When they did, I saw that there were basically NO deals on 3d stuff, so went ahead and got in on the package they had that week. I got a 50" Samsung 3d Plasma, 2 pairs of glasses, a copy of Black Ops, and $50 in DVD's or Blu-rays for $969. Killer TV and package for the price.[/QUOTE]

How do you like the Samsung? Went to BB on Saturday with my friend and he bought the 46" Panasonic plasma for $499-

[quote name='frpilot']Haha. I'm not ashamed. I can manage on my monitor/tv tuner combo for a bit longer, but its getting closer and closer to the point where I feel like taking the plunge and buying a larger TV is worthwhile since I don't see any new amazing technology coming out. If I buy something now, I'd probably get something that is 120-240hz and supports 3D.

[/QUOTE]

I think you meant splurge... lol

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

[quote name='shrike4242']HX700 isn't a set we get here in the US.

HX800 is at the bottom, NX810 is in the middle, the LX909 is in the upper middle and the HX909 is on top. All but the HX909 are edge lit LED, HX909 is LED backlit with local dimming, LX909 is edge lit with local dimming.[/QUOTE]
The NX810 is better than the LX900. LX900 is all about style over function. LX900 is normal edge lit and the NX810 has dynamic edge lighting (edge local dimming). The LX900 also has an integrated 3D sensor which can be a seen as a negative since you can't position it as needed.

[quote name='Mixer236']I think you meant splurge... lol

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.[/QUOTE]

yea that's what i meant... but hey it can also be used interchangeably in the context of what i was talking about.. haha

i knew it wasn't right because spell checker marked it.. but i was posting at work and couldn't find the right spelling and couldn't think of the word..

[quote name='Darknyss']The NX810 is better than the LX900. LX900 is all about style over function. LX900 is normal edge lit and the NX810 has dynamic edge lighting (edge local dimming). The LX900 also has an integrated 3D sensor which can be a seen as a negative since you can't position it as needed.[/QUOTE]
I actually picked up a 55 inch NX810 from amazon over the weekend with this bundle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1280644882&pf_rd_i=507846

it has shot back up in price. i got it for 2300

[quote name='frpilot']yea that's what i meant... but hey it can also be used interchangeably in the context of what i was talking about.. haha

i knew it wasn't right because spell checker marked it.. but i was posting at work and couldn't find the right spelling and couldn't think of the word..[/QUOTE]

No worries, it made for a great laugh. :)

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']I actually picked up a 55 inch NX810 from amazon over the weekend with this bundle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1280644882&pf_rd_i=507846

it has shot back up in price. i got it for 2300[/QUOTE]

wow that is an amazing deal... these tv deals are making me reconsider returning my ps3 bundle from amazon and buying a tv/ps3 bundle instead. this is highly unlikely though.. i can't afford to spend another 1500-2500 right now.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Amazon has a better deal.

Btw, according to CNET, the best 3D HDTV's you should get should either be a Panasonic or Samsung. Everything else is hit or miss.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but a 3d blu-ray player is worthless in comparison to a PS3 that does everything that blu-ray player can do but way more including a plethora of 3d gaming out and coming out (sony said 50+ 3d games are being made for ps3 as we speak).

I would never in my life suggest a stand alone blu-ray player over a ps3, thats just silly.

for those who care, I got my nx810 yesterday and it is simply amazing. I haven't tried the 3D effect yet but while I was at E3, I did play Killzone 3 in 3D on an LX model and it looked amazing. I expect this to be just as good or even better. Also with a purchase of a Sony 3D TV, Sony gives you 2 full games (Wipeout HD and 1 more I forgot the name of) + the 3D part of one game (Pain) + 3D demo of MotorStorm. I know that seems like nothing but I really appreciate it since I don't have any games for my PS3 yet (of course that will change over time).

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']for those who care, I got my nx810 yesterday and it is simply amazing. I haven't tried the 3D effect yet but while I was at E3, I did play Killzone 3 in 3D on an LX model and it looked amazing. I expect this to be just as good or even better. Also with a purchase of a Sony 3D TV, Sony gives you 2 full games (Wipeout HD and 1 more I forgot the name of) + the 3D part of one game (Pain) + 3D demo of MotorStorm. I know that seems like nothing but I really appreciate it since I don't have any games for my PS3 yet (of course that will change over time).[/QUOTE]

I got the same bundle back in the beginning of Nov.
Its a great TV. I played the entire COD Blk Ops in 3D, was pretty awesome.

Also register the TV online with Sony and you get Two additional free 3D movies. The card it comes with to register says the deal expired in Oct but you can still do it, they'll just send you different movies not the 'Cloudy w Meatballs' one. I think I am getting "Michael Jackson This is it" and "Bolt".

[quote name='blitz6speed']No offense, but a 3d blu-ray player is worthless in comparison to a PS3 that does everything that blu-ray player can do but way more including a plethora of 3d gaming out and coming out (sony said 50+ 3d games are being made for ps3 as we speak).

I would never in my life suggest a stand alone blu-ray player over a ps3, thats just silly.[/QUOTE]

Well yes and no. The PS3 can't do 3D in 1080p. Correct me if I am wrong but it is either 720p or 540p. If you want to watch movies more than you play games, a stand alone 3D blu ray player is going to give you better movie performace. It may not be as big of an issue on a smaller screen, but when you hit 50" plus, they is going to be a picture quality hit. If you want to play games, then obviously the PS3 is going to give you more bang for your buck.

[quote name='MaxPower2']I got the same bundle back in the beginning of Nov.
Its a great TV. I played the entire COD Blk Ops in 3D, was pretty awesome.

Also register the TV online with Sony and you get Two additional free 3D movies. The card it comes with to register says the deal expired in Oct but you can still do it, they'll just send you different movies not the 'Cloudy w Meatballs' one. I think I am getting "Michael Jackson This is it" and "Bolt".[/QUOTE]
thanks for the tip! i will totally do that. I also can't wait to try out Black Ops in 3D. I have it for the 360 and it is connected through component but I've read that you can still get it done. I'll probably try it out after finals x.x

bread's done
Back