PS3 stopped reading game discs.. need advice

wwe101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hi all,

I've have a slim 120 GB PS3 going strong for almost 5 years.  My brother was playing Last of Us yesterday when the system crashed.  We didn't think much of it and turned off the console.  Today the console won't read a single game disc, (I tried 3).  When you put the game in the system, it makes three of those loading noises, then the eject noise for a second, but the game doesn't eject, then the disc drive goes quiet.  I tried a DVD movie and it worked fine, although the disc drive was a little louder than usual.  Does anyone know what part needs to be replaced to fix this thing?  Laser or the whole disc drive?  Also, if I get a replacement system, can I just transfer all of my save game data via USB?  I backed all of them up to a flash drive today, but I read some saves or tied to a specific console and won't load on another console if you try to move them.

Hope the laser is all that you have to replace.  If that happened to me, I'd probably just use my PS3 for the digital games and then get a Super Slim for the disc based games.

Replaced laser and everything is working. GTA 5 is crashing a lot for me, though I think that might just be from GTA.

Hmm, I dno man.  I played the download version of GTAV, and I'm pretty sure my hard drive is ready to die (holy moly those loading times), but even I didn't get any crashes.  I would think your drive is perhaps still giving you issues.  A game like GTA V, which constantly reads from the disc, is definitely one that would reveal disc drive issues.

Hmm, I dno man. I played the download version of GTAV, and I'm pretty sure my hard drive is ready to die (holy moly those loading times), but even I didn't get any crashes. I would think your drive is perhaps still giving you issues. A game like GTA V, which constantly reads from the disc, is definitely one that would reveal disc drive issues.
Weird discovery today. After deleting all the update data for GTA, I've played the game flawlessly. You could also notice that the disc drive wasn't working nearly as hard to read the disc. Does this mean I need a new hdd?

Weird discovery today. After deleting all the update data for GTA, I've played the game flawlessly. You could also notice that the disc drive wasn't working nearly as hard to read the disc. Does this mean I need a new hdd?
I honestly have no idea! I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I'm not sure what the heck it means!

bread's done
Back