PS3 Under $400 in Japan?

gambitmachete

CAGiversary!
In the past months, the Japanese blog CoolGamer has been a dependable source of early information regarding the Japanese game market. Not once has their news turned out to be a false lead, so that's why it was pretty important today when the site updated with a small notice saying "PS3 price set below 40000 Yen," which is about $400 at current exchange rates.

In the update, the blogger writes, "In the latest Famitsu, a very important person mentioned that the PS3 price would not be over 40000yen". This information correlates to a previous comment from a Sony rep a few months back, who mentioned the same price. With any luck this will turn out to be the case, and Japan will see the PS3 in the spring of 2006 for slightly under $400.

One thing to note though is that the PS2 was also released in Japan for a bit under 40000 yen, but when it came to the U.S. it was sold for a hundred dollars less at $299. It's not out of the question that same sort of pricing scheme will be employed this time as well.

Link: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3145024

...But will that include the Blu-ray drive, a wireless controller, a hard drive, a faceplate, wireless adapter, and a PLASMA TV?

If not then I'm not interested.

[quote name='Strell']...But will that include the Blu-ray drive, a wireless controller, a hard drive, a faceplate, wireless adapter, and a PLASMA TV?

If not then I'm not interested.[/QUOTE]

The amount of new tech offered in the PS3 is comparable to what was offered with the PS2 when it came out. It is totally feasible. You could even argue one of the major reasons PS2s sold so well was they included a DVD player. Its hazy if the BluRay will be as big of an aid this round, but I wouldn't rule it out.

pretty cool info. All this talk about PS3 and next gen in general had my cheap ass worried. I'd still buy PS3 at launch as long as it is no more than $400. Even though I like to save money, a console is well worth the money. I bought my PS2 at launch and have easily gotten my $300 worth.

I think Sony could get away with selling the PS3 for $400 in the US this time around even if the PS2 launced $100 cheaper here. I really hope they do release at $300. I'm still a little skeptical on how they plan to release for spring of next year given the little information we have gotten on the system.

This would be great. I am not buying any next-gen systems on launch but I want whatever I do end up buying to be somewhat cheap in cost, so this would be nice...

[quote name='spoo']The PS2 was cheaper here in the US then JP but the PSP was cheaper in JP then the US.[/QUOTE]

true. I think the reason that the PS2 was cheaper here was because DVDs were just starting to take off around PS2 release. The $300 price tag probably helped sell the unit to future dvd owners.

Hopefully because of blu-ray they will do the same.

I also want to add my 2 cents on everyone comparing the PS2 DVD drive with the PS3 Blu-Ray drive. DVD came out in 1996 (NOV) in JP and 1997 (March) here in the States. Three and a half years is a good time for drives to drop in price and reliability (and the PS2 DVD drive is not even reliable.) DVD took two years for a DVD player to be priced under $300 (around spring of '99). Blu-Ray drives have not received a launch date yet and the format is not even finalized. Blu-Ray drives won't be cheap by any means and most likely the first consumer Blu-Ray player will be the PS3. This puts a lot of pressure on a new video game system and for a new format. I like the idea of more disc storage but is it way to early for the PS3 to have Blu-Ray?

So what if it prices here at $399.99 with no HD? I think people waiting for the PS3 are going to be in for a rude awakening at what the console doesn't include for the price.

bread's done
Back