"PS3 US $399 w/60GB HDD" - PSM

Exactly....Blu-Ray players cost $1000, PS3...$400....I don't get it. Unless the PS3 BLu-Ray player sucks ass compared to a stand-alone player.

[quote name='doubledown']Exactly....Blu-Ray players cost $1000, PS3...$400....I don't get it. Unless the PS3 BLu-Ray player sucks ass compared to a stand-alone player.[/QUOTE]

When blue-ray movies are $10 at Target having a blue-ray player will become a factor into my perceived value.

[quote name='doubledown']Exactly....Blu-Ray players cost $1000, PS3...$400....I don't get it. Unless the PS3 BLu-Ray player sucks ass compared to a stand-alone player.[/quote]

Not really its just the point Sony wants to get to the consumers. Why pay more for a blu-ray player when you can get a gaming system and a blu-ray for cheaper? This will also boost the sales of games and other things because who will just have the ps3 for movies?

[quote name='m0dem']Not really its just the point Sony wants to get to the consumers. Why pay more for a blu-ray player when you can get a gaming system, george foreman grille, and a blu-ray for cheaper? This will also boost the sales of games and other things because who will just have the ps3 for movies?[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's what Im thinking too. Why would you buy a Blu-Ray player for $500-700 when you can get a PS3 for $399 ?[/QUOTE]

No one said you would. Remember Sony is using the PS3 as a trojan horse to get the player in homes and increase the adoption rates of the Blu Ray format.

[quote name='doubledown']Exactly....Blu-Ray players cost $1000, PS3...$400....I don't get it. Unless the PS3 BLu-Ray player sucks ass compared to a stand-alone player.[/QUOTE]

Blu-Ray players cost about $1000 now. But wait 9 months to a year and that price will be more like $499 or less. If the price doesn't fall in line with HD-DVD the format will die.

[quote name='Indiana']Blu-Ray players cost about $1000 now. But wait 9 months to a year and that price will be more like $499 or less. If the price doesn't fall in line with HD-DVD the format will die.[/QUOTE]

YES, I understand that...but BLU-RAY and the PS3 are coming out in the SAME timespan. I still don't see how they can do this. Yes, it would be a way to get a player in homes, but how much can Sony eat before it becomes profitable....I mean, do they have to sell 10 million PS3's to turn a profit?

everyone keeps focusing on games and movies, but don't you think that the ps3 will do more than that? like online stores. so with one fell swoop, sony would be getting you to buy there games, buy there movies, and buy all the other stuff from them. SONY IS BEAUTIFULLY EVIL!!!!

First of all The PSM article says, "It's reasonable for us to expect to see a price tag of $399."

It is clear that it is pure speculation so whoever started the rumor that psm confirmed the price is stupid.

Secondly, I still believe the PS3 will cost no less than $500. The blue-ray player alone costs over $1000 so don't expect sony to match M$'s price. Remember that Sony said it would be "expensive", and I'm sure they weren't lying. And if it does launch at $400 don't buy it because you know that it will fall apart as soon as you get it home.

wow, with that price and HD sony just raped any competition.

i was gonna get ps3 later, then pay 100 to mod it. now i just might preorder a system.

If this is true, PS3 will be such a great bargain to buy, Next gen system, 60 gig hard drive, on top of that a blu-ray DVD player. If Sony announces this I will actually preorder the system the next day. I've been waiting to see how much it would cost before making a decision whether to buy a PS2 or 360. I figured that when PS3 comes out, MS will respond with offering a value bundle for the 360 that would be still $399 but come with some freebies like a free game. If PS3 can match the 360 price point then I'm buying a PS3. If it is $500 or more, I'll go with buying what ever bundle MS comes out to combat PS3.

If the PS3 is only $400 with a 60 GB HDD I'll be getting one a lot sooner then I was planning on getting one (perhaps as early as summer or fall 2007).

[quote name='iheartmetal']since the ps3 is not region locked i wonder if ps1 and ps2 import games will play on it, if so, then id be berry happy[/quote]

They should work on the PS3.

I'll wait until Sony announces it before I make comments about it. But something did pop in my head while thinking this over. Blu-ray movie royalties short-term and long-term.

[quote name='Morpheus']I'll wait until Sony announces it before I make comments about it. But something did pop in my head while thinking this over. Blu-ray movie royalties short-term and long-term.[/quote]

i would have to agree, this sounds very logical.

The stated price is the price Sony will not go under which doesn't really say anything about the retail price.

Isn't the backwards compatibility using both hardware and software methods? Kaz Hirai mentioned it in an interview with 1up a long time ago. I'm thinking they'll have anti-aliasing and upscaling to 720p which sounds pretty good especially for PS2 games. PS1 games will probably still be ugly because of the low quality textures.

[quote name='javeryh']I think he meant flux capacitor.[/quote]
Better late than never...
ps3_4d.jpg

If Sony can really pull off full backwards compatibility without any region restrictions, they'll have me sold on the system almost instantly just for that aspect alone. However, after too many experiences with first-run Sony products, I'm going to wait at least a year and a half before plunging into the PS3. I love the PS1 and PS2 but buying those when they first came out resulted in the standard problems down the road.

OK, Sony...show us what you've got.

[quote name='javeryh']:drool: Sweet.... I think I'm going to wait 6 months to a year to buy it though due to the hardware problems facing the 360. Plus, I'm buying the Revolution on day 1 so I'll have plenty to do in the meantime...

I wonder how the PS2 games will look in 1080i?[/QUOTE]

Dito.

The PS2 games will just be upconverted from their already super low resolution, so it won't look spectacular, perhaps craptacular, but not HD spectacular.

$399... heo.. doesn't everybody wishes that was the price.. I'm not goin to expect anything less then $499...

I'm expecting a $599 launch price... but I'll hold out for atleast 2 years...

Hmm.

$399 means I'll be getting one by next Xmas.
$599 means I won't be getting one for awhile

If the Rev/Wii is still $250 or less thats a bargain overall.
I already own a 360 so *shrugs*

[quote name='CheapyD']How can it run PS2 games at 1080p?
I thought that was basically impossible at this point.
I smell :bs:[/QUOTE]

It'll be Xbox 360-ish in its implementation I assume - downloaded higher-res textures to the harddisk and then swapped into the game at runtime.

Ps3, $399 very very doubtful. but if it is playstation will blow Xbox away
... Well lets admit it that'll happen anyway:)

[quote name='lukew8998']Ps3, $399 very very doubtful. but if it is playstation will blow Xbox away
... Well lets admit it that'll happen anyway:)[/QUOTE]

The Gamefaqs forums called. They miss you.

[quote name='mmn']The Gamefaqs forums called. They miss you.[/QUOTE]

Ahh and that's where you're wrong, I'm pretty sure no one could miss that guy.

[quote name='mmn']The Gamefaqs forums called. They miss you.[/QUOTE]
Well...even though what he said was definatley fanboyish, its still probably true.

[quote name='whoknows']Well...even though what he said was definatley fanboyish, its still probably true.[/QUOTE]

I think people seem to forget that the industry can change practically overnight. Prior to the original playstation release everyone pretty much thought it would be a monumental failure. Obviously it wasn't. My point? You can't predict a system's performance before its launch (well except the Gizmondo...).

if you guys remember, when PS2 came out it was cheaper than the DVD player in japan. so maybe sony is doing the same thing here.?.

will the "one disc per person" thing still apply? any news on that? it's when you put in a disc on your ps3, only your ps3 can play that game, so you can't trade or sell them

[quote name='swetooth9']will the "one disc per person" thing still apply? any news on that? it's when you put in a disc on your ps3, only your ps3 can play that game, so you can't trade or sell them[/QUOTE]

The patent for it exists and is owned by Sony but it doesn't look like it will be used on PS3.

[quote name='javeryh']I think he meant flux capacitor.[/QUOTE]

which makes time travel possible..........quick get the plutonium,er i ment garbage!

[quote name='guyver2077']i cant see them making too much money at that price point[/quote]

no, no. Success is defined by MARKETSHARE now. Money made doesnt matter. You just need to get the system into people's homes, even if you have to practically GIVE them away.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The patent for it exists and is owned by Sony but it doesn't look like it will be used on PS3.[/quote]

if that's true, and the pricepoint is true for the ps3 + 60 GB hard drive, i'll wait to see how the PS3 online will be handled (how good can it be if it's free?)...then i'll make a decision...

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']About 200 dollars off...but close.[/QUOTE]
Like I said, the industry can change overnight...

bread's done
Back