PS3 video issues

DuelLadyS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Ok, here's the deal: my fiance just got a new reciever for his surround sound system. It has HDMI hookups, so he got an HDMI cable for his PS3. Trick is- now he's not getting picture. Sound, yes, but no picture whatsoever.

He has a slightly older TV, so the reciever connects to it with a standard composite connection. Is the problem that the HDMI signal doesn't play well with the component, and he needs an adaptor? Or is this just the PS3 doing its 'I don't like new connections' thing? The other systems he's got are set up with composite and work fine- would an HDMI adaptor mess it up?

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Ok, here's the deal: my fiance just got a new reciever for his surround sound system. It has HDMI hookups, so he got an HDMI cable for his PS3. Trick is- now he's not getting picture. Sound, yes, but no picture whatsoever.

He has a slightly older TV, so the reciever connects to it with a standard composite connection. Is the problem that the HDMI signal doesn't play well with the component, and he needs an adaptor? Or is this just the PS3 doing its 'I don't like new connections' thing? The other systems he's got are set up with composite and work fine- would an HDMI adaptor mess it up?[/QUOTE]
I don't think hdmi plays well with component setup at all. I'm pretty sure hdmi out requires a hand shake to decode the signal. I'd either return the reciever, try some new cables ie hook the ps3 up with composite cables, or get a reciever with a composite input\output.

You might just need to reset your PS3's video and sound settings. When you use a different video input, the PS3 won't automatically detect and switch to the new input. So, you have to hold down the power button for about 5 seconds when turning it on, until it beeps a couple of times. This resets the video settings to the current input.

bread's done
Back