PS3 Wireless Keypad - $25 Used (Gamestop B&M)

yedgee

CAGiversary!
I purchased the PS3 Wireless Keypad at Gamestop today for $25.
It is USED....but it's still half of the $50 price tag. The items looks like it's never been used. I have not used the unit yet as I'm not at home.

I've been looking at purchasing this for quite a while but the $50 price tag was a little too high for me. I'm going to guess there's others in the same boat. However, for $25 it's looking better, right?

(The $25 giftcard I received as a present earlier was also a plus in me purchasing!)

Standard Gamestop return policy on it. 7 days to exchange for full refund or within 30 days due to malfunction for a replacement unit.

This was in Southfield, MI. I assume prices are similar across the nation.

A good friend of mine just bought one, and he loves it. I have the logitech bluetooth keyboard (that Target clearanced last year) and it's great, but I was thinking about picking up one of those for cheap so I could have something smaller to keep handy for quick messages. I may have to bite on it for $25 if I can find one locally.

About a month ago I was looking for some stuff in Orlando GameStops with the 20% Accessories coupon and I stumbled upon a used but never opened wirless keypad for $30, so it was $21 after the coupon/Edge. It's really good, takes some getting used to and it kinda just barely gets in the way of the L1/R1 but not by much. The only thing that does not work well at all is the touch sensative pad that is used for scrolling, I can't seem to get it to work right.

Finding this item is hit or miss because it's in GS system as a generic PS3 Keypad/board so unless you specifically ask the store to check which one(s) they have it'll be hard to find.

I use Playstation Home alot so It would get a good amount of use. I'm trading with VIPfreak for Underworld & Underworld Evolution Blu Ray for it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, I might have to look into it. I bought one of those roll-up keyboards and it is alright, but honestly a full keyboard is just too large. Between rock band instruments all all the other junk I have, I would like something smaller.

I highly doubt the keypad is "absolutely worthless", it probably works just like any cell phone keypad. Not perfect, but it will do the job. Plus it is 1/20th the size of some ridiculous wireless keyboard and mouse combo ... and you don't have to replace batteries in the keypad.

Not a bad deal but not a good one either, can find other good cheap ones out there too.
iy.gif

iy.gif

The keypad is absolutely worthless as a mouse. It has some (but not a ton) value in terms of speeding messages up without having to keep a keyboard handy, but I'd sure rather pay $50 than $25.

I'd rather just invest in a headset and pester Sony to allow voice messages. heh.

I estimate 50% to 75% of the used accessories I have purchased at EB/GS have been broken. They are good about giving refunds within 7 days but it is a hassle to go back. I now get my used stuff elsewhere.

[quote name='edwardya']meh, i can find cheaper ones on ebay.[/quote]

I've been looking for quite awhile on Ebay and never saw a new or used for cheaper than $25. At least not for the official Sony one.
That would've been an even better deal though.

[quote name='yedgee']I purchased the PS3 Wireless Keypad at Gamestop today for $25.
It is USED....but it's still half of the $50 price tag. The items looks like it's never been used. I have not used the unit yet as I'm not at home.

I've been looking at purchasing this for quite a while but the $50 price tag was a little too high for me. I'm going to guess there's others in the same boat. However, for $25 it's looking better, right?

(The $25 giftcard I received as a present earlier was also a plus in me purchasing!)

Standard Gamestop return policy on it. 7 days to exchange for full refund or within 30 days due to malfunction for a replacement unit.

This was in Southfield, MI. I assume prices are similar across the nation.[/quote]

Hey OP, can you give us the Gamestop SKU on the yellow price sticker so we can call Gamestops and ask for them to do an in-stock store search by SKU?

Thanks! :)

It's worthless, don't bother.

Also, I find it highly hilarious how the 360 is only $20 (mine was $10) and the thing is even backlit. Granted it isn't bluetooth...

[quote name='xx2541']Hey OP, can you give us the Gamestop SKU on the yellow price sticker so we can call Gamestops and ask for them to do an in-stock store search by SKU?

Thanks! :)[/quote]

The SKU is 900756 BUT it won't do a HUGE amount of good if the employee won't physically check. The reason being is that the item is listed as PS3 Wireless Keypad (Used-Any) so it could be any # of wireless keypads or keyboards that work with the PS3.

[quote name='VipFREAK']It's worthless, don't bother.

Also, I find it highly hilarious how the 360 is only $20 (mine was $10) and the thing is even backlit. Granted it isn't bluetooth...[/quote]
I totally disagree. The keypad is actually really good and I love the fact that you can roll your finger over the buttons to control the arrow in the web browser. It totally makes watching and searching for Hulu videos easier. Plus, aren't there some MMO's coming to the PS3 soon?

[quote name='jkanownik']Chris Grant (Joystiq) is adament that the keypad is absolutely worthless.

An alternative to consider is the current Staples clearance Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse combo for $40.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...=home&cmArea=SEARCH&catalogId=10051&langId=-1[/quote]

Chris Grant is worthless--I've listened religiously to the Joystiq Podcast, and over the last few episodes their attitudes have become increasingly negative towards SONY. Also, Chris's "review" of this chat pad was based on his very brief time with it, along with his minimal time spent on the PS3 in general.

Here's an honest opinion from someone who got the chat pad as a gift several months ago:

1) it does exactly what it's supposed to do: provide a zippy way to send text messages over PSN
2) while it does charge independently of the PS3 controller, it also has an auto-off function--I've had mine since the end of December, and it's STILL shows as being fully charged
3) it's barely noticeable when it's attached to the DualShock 3
4) my only complaint: it absolutely needs a back light--there's no way you'll be using it to send messages in the dark UNLESS you've memorized the keys

...like I said, believe what you want; but I have no reason to share nothing than the truth, and I have no problems recommending this pad to someone, especially if it can be had for the used price of $25.

[quote name='xx2541']Hey OP, can you give us the Gamestop SKU on the yellow price sticker so we can call Gamestops and ask for them to do an in-stock store search by SKU?

Thanks! :)[/quote]

Looks like this was already answered but I'll post what is on my yellow sticker anyways.

It says:

PS3 Wireless Keypad (Any-Used)
900756(on the left side) and 012709RRR038 (on the right side).

On a side note, I was able to play around with it for a little bit last night. It is pretty slick. Takes some time to get used to the configuration (size of buttons, functions of each, etc.) but it does what it's supposed to do.

The touchpad feature is pretty nice. You have to make sure you calibrate it first (hold the blue and orange buttons til the touchpad button flashes). If you don't, it'll act wonky.

My only complaint is that it really needs backlit LED keys. It wasn't too much of an issue because it's a normal QWERTY keyboard layout. I was able to type pretty good without looking at the keys while playing with the lights out. I know it'll get easier over time as I get used to the layout of all buttons.
I'm happy for $25. But if I was paying $50, I would expect to have backlit keys.
Guess we can hope for Version 2 to have backlit keys.

Thanks for posting OP! Does anyone know if Edge applies to used accessories? Just got my Edge card and haven't used it yet.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Thanks for posting OP! Does anyone know if Edge applies to used accessories? Just got my Edge card and haven't used it yet.[/quote]

Yes, EDGE card works on used accessories

does anyone know how the feeling of this compares to a blackberry QWERTY keyboard (the world phone edition, or 8830)

thanks

[quote name='yedgee']Looks like this was already answered but I'll post
It says:

PS3 Wireless Keypad (Any-Used)
900756(on the left side) and 012709RRR038 (on the right side).
[/quote]

The left side is not related to the product at all. It's an internal code for GS, it's the date the sticker was printed, the initials of the employee who printed it and I do not recall what the final digits mean sadly. So that price sticker was printer 1/27/09 by R.R.R. and then I forget what the last stuff means.

[quote name='yedgee']
The touchpad feature is pretty nice. You have to make sure you calibrate it first (hold the blue and orange buttons til the touchpad button flashes). If you don't, it'll act wonky.
[/quote]

Thanks! That fixed it. The "manual" that comes with the pad is a sorry excuse for toilet paper, I couldn't even figure out what the blue/orange buttons did till I looked over the pad with my own eyes and it made sense. It mat be listed in the manual, but the thing is so poorly written/designed that it's hard to figure almost anything out IMO.

bread's done
Back