Ps4 Hard drive upgrade - Need 3 drives?

xplode427

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
I have my external 2tb drive that I want to use to replace my current 500gb ps4 drive but it looks like I cannot just backup to that drive and then insert it into the ps4. I need a third drive to backup to from the current ps4 drive. Unless I want to redownload all my games. Is this correct?

Can I replace the current drive with the new one and then insert the 500gb drive into the Usb enclosure and restore from it?

Moral of the story, I don't have a third drive laying around so am i SOL?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you need a third drive to do a back up and restore. You'd either need to buy a third drive or maybe you can find someone with a spare external? 

And yes, you can take the PS4s current 500GB HD and stick in in a 2.5" enclosure, format it, and use it like a normal external. 

[quote name="Vinny" post="12856316" timestamp="1439139669"]Yes, you need a third drive to do a back up and restore. You'd either need to buy a third drive or maybe you can find someone with a spare external?

And yes, you can take the PS4s current 500GB HD and stick in in a 2.5" enclosure, format it, and use it like a normal external. [/quote]

Thanks. My second question was actually can I just restore from the original drive once I place it in the external?

bread's done
Back