PS4 in development

6er

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Beans are officially spilled. Not much info though

http://m.ign.com/articles/1170944

Think they learned from last time? they have had issues with that lately *cough* password reset procedure *cough*

With their recent history of "DOH's!" It could cost more. And microsoft had the console "fail" market mostly to itself with RROD but sony has to try to one up them on everything. I hope they win back my faith in them soon.

I just hope they release it sooner than later so we can have another round of good ol 3 way console deathmatch. MS has been a force to rekon with lately and with nintendo polishing off the big guns and bringing them out of storage this could be interesting

[quote name='whoknows']As long as it plays HOME I'd be fine with that.

I want superglue though. None of that elmers shit.[/QUOTE]

Just in: The $600 model will use Gorilla Glue

What about the $700 one that uses Gorilla brand superglue? :p

Do we really need a PS4? The PS3 still has a good 3-4 years left, imo.

The most I'll pay is $400 and if its not then I'll just keep enjoying my PS3 until it drops to $400. Unless my PS3 dies then it will be a hard decision

[quote name='ROB64']What about the $700 one that uses Gorilla brand superglue? :p

Do we really need a PS4? The PS3 still has a good 3-4 years left, imo.[/QUOTE]

Maybe polyphony is leading the project. Which would give us plenty of time to finish off the ps3 before releasing a half baked product

[quote name='whoknows']Interesting.

Lets hope it costs less this time.[/QUOTE]
This. Xbox basically had a 2 year head start for me at least because of the lower price and Bioshock being an exclusive for awhile.

I just hope it's more affordable this time around but still makes people laugh at the Wii 2s specs.

Obviously it's in development? These things take years to create, you'll see it introduced at next years E3 and it will be released in Fall 2013 most likely.

No surprise this falls in line with their 10 year plan for PS3. No one ever said there'd be no overlap btwn PS3/PS4...look at PS2/PS3.
1-$100 price cut at E3 this yr, NGP mass details, more Move focus
2-NGP launch this yr
3-E3 2012 NGP focus, stellar software lineup, PS4 hints/rumors
4-E3 2013 PS3 Price cut, official PS4 reveal PS4 release fall 2013

This isn't really news, it's more of a PR move since Nintendo and Microsoft will announce their plans for their next consoles at E3. Sony doesn't want to look left behind so this "news" surfaces just days before the biggest game conference in the world goes underway.

Of course PS4 has been in development. How could it not be? Putting this out there just helps take the focus off all their network problems and security issues. Unveil a new handheld, reveal that the next console is in development, flash some Uncharted 3 gameplay and try to sweep the month-long disaster they've been going through under the rug in the meantime...

Anyone who thinks this is coming out before 2014 is crazy. Anyone who thinks it's going to cost less than $600 is even more crazy. Lets call it Ultra Crazy.

anyone see Sony using a modified Cell SPE cell variant? Say 8 SPU's and 32 SPEs? That way what was learned in the PS3 transfers easily to the PS4?

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Anyone who thinks this is coming out before 2014 is crazy. Anyone who thinks it's going to cost less than $600 is even more crazy. Lets call it Ultra Crazy.[/QUOTE]

Fall 2013 is not that far off from 2014 & most certainly less than $600 more like $400-$450. The consoles will overlap just like PS2/PS3. You'll have a concrete answer on the price by the way NGP is priced. If they way overprice it they haven't learned but this could also effect the PS4 pricing too.

Since Rockstar is now doing the paid DLC garbage like the rest of the publishers and I see them as possibly leaning towards pulling an EA with the online gaming passes I can safely say I can wait till the PS4 is $250 before I buy one. Besides which, it'll probably cost double what the PS3 cost at launch and there is no fuckin' way in hell I'm paying over $300-ish for a console again.

But if anyone from Sony is reading these forums, I have their slogan(s) for the PS4 ready.;)

PS4: Now with 100% more price gouging and broken promises(ie removing features one by one)

PS4: It only does everything.....expensively.:roll:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I will buy a PS4 at $400 max.

Anything more and it is a no buy seeing I can get a bad ass gaming PC for $750-$800 if I really wanted.[/QUOTE]

^This

I will buy this at launch. Probably 2 as I'm sure it will be hard to find just like when the ps3 launched. That shit was selling for 1k on ebay! Keep one and sell the other to justify purchase. I hope the news will be exciting this e3.

[quote name='phantasyx']ps1 5 years
ps2 10 years

ps3 20 years?

I see a trend.[/QUOTE]

What? PS1 was more than 5 year, not 10 years but close.

I predict it'll be $500 and come out in 2013, at least in Japan, especially if they announce it at E3 this year. If MS prices their system at $400 and Sony's cost $500 or more again, it'll just be a repeat of this generation with Sony trying to play catchup.

I'm still good for a 3-4 years on a new console. No need to rush it.

But something they have to get figured out from the get go is psn.
I'm sure there's a lot of us that's racked up a lot games on psn and if we weren't able to play those games on the new console would be totally absurd.

what bugs me is that next console gen will probably not have backwards compatibility.

I still play my 60 gig PS3 because it plays my PS2 games as well.

I don't really have the space for all of the future gen consoles AND all of the current gen consoles because of no backwards compatibility.

[quote name='grrouchie']what bugs me is that next console gen will probably not have backwards compatibility.

I don't really have the space for all of the future gen consoles AND all of the current gen consoles because of no backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

What gave you that idea? I think without a doubt it will have backwards compatibility. Do you honestly think the PS4 will use something other than Blu-rays, which Sony fought hard to win in the format war. There's no way they'll use anything besides BD discs. Blu-ray obviously has plenty of life left in it as a gaming medium. Hell, just look at what MS is still able to do with DVD's this gen. The Blu-ray could last 2 more generations even (though I imagine we'd be into an all digital realm by then)

[quote name='Paco']anyone see Sony using a modified Cell SPE cell variant? Say 8 SPU's and 32 SPEs? That way what was learned in the PS3 transfers easily to the PS4?[/QUOTE]

Maybe for backwards compatibility reasons. In fact, I read something to this effect about a year ago. That they wanted another cell, so dev's would have an easier time of knowledge transfer. The cell would be very hard to emulate on a non cell CPU, as it is a very different architecture.

On the other hand....
The cell remains expensive, and that is part of the reason they have had trouble dropping the price at a rate to keep pace with MS. Sony is probably one of the only people buying this chip now, so it doesn't get any cheaper for the manufacturer to make. If they were smart, they'd go with an simple architecture like the 360. Easy to develop for, and parts that drop in price, and are readily available, and easier/cheaper to manufacture. This would likely kill any change of b/c though... Still I'd rather keep my PS3, and have an affordable PS4, that is easy to develop for.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Maybe for backwards compatibility reasons. In fact, I read something to this effect about a year ago. That they wanted another cell, so dev's would have an easier time of knowledge transfer. The cell would be very hard to emulate on a non cell CPU, as it is a very different architecture.

On the other hand....
The cell remains expensive, and that is part of the reason they have had trouble dropping the price at a rate to keep pace with MS. Sony is probably one of the only people buying this chip now, so it doesn't get any cheaper for the manufacturer to make. If they were smart, they'd go with an simple architecture like the 360. Easy to develop for, and parts that drop in price, and are readily available, and easier/cheaper to manufacture. This would likely kill any change of b/c though... Still I'd rather keep my PS3, and have an affordable PS4, that is easy to develop for.

~S[/QUOTE]
I'd have rathered if they did that THIS gen. Shit got ridiculously expensive and all you heard from devs was how hard the system is to develop for.

What amazes me though is with all of the top of the line specs in the PS3, they have a piddily amount of memory in the system.

It wasn't really the system memory that was the problem, I think it was generally the VRAM. 256MB of each. MS did a smart thing (actually same thing sony did with PSP1) is to just give a lump of memory (512MB) that can be used for video and system at the developers whim. Much easier to develop for. That is why I hope they go this route with PS4.

Also with memory being so cheap, they should just do 2GB... though 2GB of memory fast enough for video could be expenseive...

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Maybe for backwards compatibility reasons. In fact, I read something to this effect about a year ago. That they wanted another cell, so dev's would have an easier time of knowledge transfer. The cell would be very hard to emulate on a non cell CPU, as it is a very different architecture.

On the other hand....

~S[/QUOTE]

I'd rather they keep the cell processors. It'd be harder to develop for, sure, but I'd have better graphics and other things then the 360. I think developers who have made Ps3 exclusives, like Naughty Dog, know how to take advantage of them.

I hope they add IBMs newest cell, the PowerXCell 8i. Even though it's the last of its kind...which would probably make it more expensive.

The cell has very little to do with graphics. Dev's were doing some tricks using the cell to help with graphics on the the big titles. But if they don't have to do that this time, it is time/money they can use to make a better game, or more games sooner. An 8 core, hyper threaded i7 would be enough, with beefy graphics card.

My real #1 wish for this generation is reduced load times. Give me a big HDD for general storage, and a 50GB ssd which lets me cache one game disk at a time. So I can turn the system on and be at the game's titlle screen in 12seconds like on my computer with an SSD. It is almost two minutes by the time I boot my PS3, and boot a game disc. I really don't find games that install to HDD significantly faster either. In fact if I only have a 30 minute gaming window, I'll often just pass, because I'd rather not go through the hastle... A comprimise would be to allow the system to hibernate in the middle of a game: so I could pause the game, hit the PS4 button, choose 'sleep', and have it save it's state to the hard drive, and power off. When it comes back on, it boots (very quickly) to the pause screen I was at when I put it to sleep. I get giddy thinking about it.

~S

If I only have 30 minutes before I gotta be somewhere/do something, the last thing I'm thinking about is gaming time.

All that having them put in those abilities you mentioned would do is jack up the price most likely.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I only have 30 minutes before I gotta be somewhere/do something, the last thing I'm thinking about is gaming time.

All that having them put in those abilities you mentioned would do is jack up the price most likely.[/QUOTE]

I meant if I only have 30 minutes to game. Not 30 minutes to be somewhere. Big difference.

Those abilities would jack up the price. But no, that is not all they woudl do. They woudl save a lot of time. Maybe if they were optional. I'd pay an extra $150 to have a 12~20 power to play time for sure.

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I meant if I only have 30 minutes to game. Not 30 minutes to be somewhere. Big difference.

Those abilities would jack up the price. But no, that is not all they woudl do. They woudl save a lot of time. Maybe if they were optional. I'd pay an extra $150 to have a 12~20 power to play time for sure.

~S[/QUOTE]
Maybe you would, but I groaned at paying $400 for my first PS3(40 gb) this gen and if they cost $700-800+ next gen due to them adding in more unusual capabilities then I'll wait till doomsday to buy one cuz they'll take forever to drop to a reasonable amount for me.

Even if it's just 30 minutes to play a game, usually I'll just surf the internet for that amount of time and not even bother turning the console on at that point.

Seriously PS4 already? Will probably be playing this Gen's consoles for another 10years or atleast until I can justify it by my son also wanting it.

[quote name='grrouchie']what bugs me is that next console gen will probably not have backwards compatibility.

I don't really have the space for all of the future gen consoles AND all of the current gen consoles because of no backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Don't think B/R's are going anywhere anytime soon & since the PS3 library isn't as large as PS2 it would be smart to just keep extending the life of the PS3 games by offering BC. They could also offer a stand alone attachment try to keep the price near $50 & they'll be cool.

The thread title is something only Captain Obvious should say. I would imagine the PS4 has been in development since the PS3 was completed.

How about this:
* Offer a hibernate mode (in and out of game), not additional h/w cost.
* Make the hard drive a cheap HDD, but with a SATA3 connection (should be standard).
* Now if I want, I can install a SSD at my own cost.

Everyone wins. :)

~S

The PS4 will retail for... 5,999 US DOLLARS.

I'll buy one, but I'll wait a year atleast and buy the rest of the good PS3 games on discount.

bread's done
Back