PS4 Pro or PS4 Slim (for a 1080 TV)

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I have a 1080 TV and I'd like to know your thoughts on whether I should buy a PS4 Slim or a PS4 Pro (I'm still with dat Triple)

To me here is how I see it breaking down:

PS4 Slim

- Smaller

- Energy efficient

- Cheaper

PS4 Pro

- Shorter load times

- More future proof

- Possibly better graphics on a 1080 TV (not sure about this one)

- More storage

- Possibly better graphics on a 1080 TV (not sure about this one)

Games with Pro mode will look better even with 1080 TV

The slim is fine. Unless if you're planning to get a 4K TV in the next two years you probably won't notice much of a difference. It just depends on if you want to spent an extra $100 for twice the storage, better textures on future games and a better frame rate or not.

The rear USB would be really nice too if you're planning on getting the official headset.

PS4 Pro

- Shorter load times

- More future proof

- Possibly better graphics on a 1080 TV (not sure about this one)

- More storage

From the pro(s) list the only thing that's guaranteed are the shorter load times.   I don't think it's future proof, because the pro won't play games in native 4k.  I will definitely be better for 1080p, however its up to the developer to enable the pro features from title to title.  I need to know that the majority of games will have the pro mode included.  I don't want to have to complain from title to title in order to have the pro mode included.  

Had the system been more powerful and was fully ready to have games running at native 4k and have the blu ray 4k drive I would have been willing to purchase the system and a 4k TV.  However if you choose to purchase the PS Pro, you can enjoy the benefits on a 1080p TV and not feel pressured to upgrade your TV.  Also,  I don't really think that I need the PS4 Pro at 399.99.  I think I want a good deal, system, with a game or two, or free PS Now, or something.   

My PS4 currently has a 2TB drive in it.....  Xbox S comes with a 2TB drive.  PS4 is a system that's 2 steps forward and about 1.5 steps backwards.  

Thanks very much for the replies folks.

At this point I'm going to get a PS4 slim. Sony typically does a good job of revamping their consoles mid-cycle (more energy efficient, less heat, quieter fan) and honestly I just want to play the games.

bread's done
Back