PS4 Pro Preorders up

Cell phones release every year with small upgrades and no one bats and eye.

Consoles do it every 3 years and everyone loses their minds.
Yeah I really dont get people argument when it comes to that. New Phones with very small upgrades release each year for a lot more then the 400 that the Pro is releasing yet. But people are seemingly ok with dropping 800-900 on the newest phone on the market every year or other year but Sony and Microsoft do it 3 years into a console cycle and ppl are losing their goddamn minds. It makes no sense

Yeah I really dont get people argument when it comes to that. New Phones with very small upgrades release each year for a lot more then the 400 that the Pro is releasing yet. But people are seemingly ok with dropping 800-900 on the newest phone on the market every year or other year but Sony and Microsoft do it 3 years into a console cycle and ppl are losing their goddamn minds. It makes no sense
It's an easier pill to swallow when it is very easy to finance the phone interest free. For most people, they pay the PS4 Pro price upfront.

So if Sony and Microsoft offered a way to pay it off over 2 Years by agreeing to pay monthly for live/psn everyone would be totally cool with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
At a measly 4.2 Teraflops I would hope devs would focus on the power they can get with 1080p. Anyone with experience in PC gaming has a better handle on the give and take with GPU's, resolutions, and graphics settings than the general public. The sad truth is that the Pro is barely a 1080p sweetspot. I hope the devs arent forced to focus on 4K because I would take 1080P/60FPS with higher graphics settings over some wonky 4K upscaling-trickery 30 frames or less garbage. 

Oh, okay. Gotcha.

I do think the Scorpio is the better of the two though, and mainly because of the 4K player ability. The 6 teraflops is nice too, but outside of that, I don't think it'll be the huge difference that everyone was expecting. I mean, maybe to PC gamers it's not impressive, but I'd say it's quite impressive from a console gamer's point of view.
In hardware terms, yes. I just don't care about it because the Microsoft games I want to play are all on PC from now on anyway. So why spend that much on a console when I already have something more powerful?

I'm more likely to get a Pro because Sony's exclusives don't hit PC, and I'd rather have the best versions of those possible. I'm about 50/50 on the prospect now, whereas if it had included UHD BR it would have been an easy yes. Depends on if any place has a good ($200+) trade-in offer. Which is unlikely.

I think Sony purposefully left out 4K Bluray so they can add it in the PS5.

It's why I hate this incremental upgrade bullshit. You can't future proof because now there is always something added for later, or saved for later. I buy a console designed to last for a solid few years, perhaps half a decade.

I won't support it.
I think they left it out because Blu Ray is dead, DVDs still outsell Blu Rays by a lot (10 years later) and digital will soon outsell Blu Ray if it hasn't already. Blu Ray is obsolete, i haven't purchased one in at least 7 years yet I watch hours of Netflix etc. if the cost of pro is less because of no 4K Blu Ray then I say thank you Sony for not forcing me to buy obsolete tech no one wants!

It's an easier pill to swallow when it is very easy to finance the phone interest free. For most people, they pay the PS4 Pro price upfront.
Not necessarily, I pre-ordered the Pro on my Best Buy credit card to specifically avoid paying $400 upfront. I'll pay it off in a couple of months, if I don't end up canceling the order.

Not necessarily, I pre-ordered the Pro on my Best Buy credit card to specifically avoid paying $400 upfront. I'll pay it off in a couple of months, if I don't end up canceling the order.
Which is why I said most. I'm going to finance it too, but I imagine we are in the minority. I guess I have no data to back that up though.

I mostly agree with you and Deader2818. I think the one gotcha is in the past consoles were only upgraded every 6-8 years or so. People became accustomed to a much slower refresh rate then smart phones.

Personally I don't care as long as I can still play 90% to 100% of the games over the next couple of years I will be happy. And that seems like Sony's and MS intentions.

So if Sony and Microsoft offered a way to pay it off over 2 Years by agreeing to pay monthly for live/psn everyone would be totally cool with this?
Not saying they would be okay with it, I'm just trying to explain why so many people upgrade their phone every year and don't go into an outrage about it. They don't look at the phone as a 600+ item but as a $30 a month fee to have a smartphone.

Microsoft announced the Scorpio as early as they did specifically for what has happened the past 24 hours. And that is to mobilize people to attack Sony's offering and keep themselves relevant while they rush to get a competitive product to the market. Well played, but at this point it is nothing more than vaporware.

Also if people truly care about 4k bluray they aren't buying an Xbox One S for it either because of it's lack of support for it's audio formats Dolby Atmos and DTS TrueHD, essentially crippling half the experience. I suspect the majority of the outcry about the Pro missing this feature are just Xbox fans concern trolling.
I agree with most of your argument and the lack of Atmos is a big deal on the XB1S but it more than likely will be added via software (they may have even committed to this but I'm not sure). However, there are many people who care about 4k video who dont give a crap about atmos. I honestly think it's because audio is a complicated barrier of entry. Atmos requires even more speakers than digital and previous technologies people already had a hard time dealing with. It's way harder to set up a proper Atmos setup than to unbox a tv and hook it up and enjoy 4k HDR.

I care about both which is why I hoped the Pro had a 4k bluray player and would be a better option. Also because the stock bluray playing on PS4 is better than on XB1. The OG XB1 sometimes has weird sound sync issues which require a cold reboot not sure about the S but since its software I'd imagine the problem is still there unless patched.

I think they left it out because Blu Ray is dead, DVDs still outsell Blu Rays by a lot (10 years later) and digital will soon outsell Blu Ray if it hasn't already. Blu Ray is obsolete, i haven't purchased one in at least 7 years yet I watch hours of Netflix etc. if the cost of pro is less because of no 4K Blu Ray then I say thank you Sony for not forcing me to buy obsolete tech no one wants!
Hyperbole much? Clearly people want it or no one would be bitching. Streaming 4k != 4k Bluray. You may not care but don't say that for everyone else. And you wouldn't really have to pay for it, it would add nominal cost to the unit. No new hardware would be needed just software.

I mostly agree with you and Deader2818. I think the one gotcha is in the past consoles were only upgraded every 6-8 years or so. People became accustomed to a much slower refresh rate then smart phones.

Personally I don't care as long as I can still play 90% to 100% of the games over the next couple of years I will be happy. And that seems like Sony's and MS intentions.
Actually, most cycles were about 5-6 years until the last one with 360/ps3.

Not saying they would be okay with it, I'm just trying to explain why so many people upgrade their phone every year and don't go into an outrage about it. They don't look at the phone as a 600+ item but as a $30 a month fee to have a smartphone.
I agree with this but keep in mind the other justification is that I use my phone a hell of a lot more throughout the day and everyday vs my consoles or gaming pc.

Just because you like digital does not mean everyone does. I would much rather own my media, be it Blu Rays, CDs, Games, whatever in a physical sense because fact is Sony/MS/whoever can revoke ur right to your digital media at any time they see fit if they so choose. Its happened before, can and will happen again. Not to mention the internet speeds in the US are some of the slowest in the world and the few who do have the option for fast internet usually have to pay a pretty penny for it. Not to mention you do realize when you stream something that is said to be 4k resolution its actually streaming slightly above 1080p right? Stream a movie at 4k and then watch a movie off a 4k Blu ray side by side and tell me you cant tell a huge difference in the quality of the actual physical copy.

Nope. If you're fine with the video compression inherent in streaming, that's fine, but Blu-Ray and UHD BR proponents are in it for the higher bitrates that can be afforded by physical media. Not to mention that many places, due to the US's absolutely garbage infrastructure, don't have access to internet connections that are capable of streaming HD, nevermind "4K".

Netflix is alright for what it is (and it's certainly a cheaper option, hence its popularity), but I won't consider it a true replacement until they can get the image quality up to snuff. Not to mention their rotating "stock". If someone came to my house and took my Long Goodbye blu-ray, I'd be pissed. I like having stuff I can watch whenever the heck I want, instead of being at the whim of licensing deals.

Also since audio was brought up.   With streaming video the sound is never near the quality of disc either and I don't know of any streaming service that supports HD Codecs.

Just because you haven't bought a Blu-Ray in 7 years doesn't mean that it's obsolete. I buy them pretty much weekly, and I probably have 1,000 Blu's in my collection since I started in 2008, give or take. I highly doubt DVD is still selling more than Blu-Ray at this point, and digital will never overtake physical. Physical still has much of a demand.

Physical Forever!

I'll make a hazardous guess and say that most people complaining about incremental console upgrades DON'T upgrade their smartphones every year, especially complainers on CAG. Also, smartphones have traditionally had annual upgrades, consoles have always had new generations about every 5 years or so.

Just because you haven't bought a Blu-Ray in 7 years doesn't mean that it's obsolete. I buy them pretty much weekly, and I probably have 1,000 Blu's in my collection since I started in 2008, give or take. I highly doubt DVD is still selling more than Blu-Ray at this point, and digital will never overtake physical. Physical still has much of a demand.

Physical Forever!
In 2015 physical media was down 12% and digital was up 16%.

"In fact, digital sales also surpassed physical-media purchases last year, clocking in at $8.9 billion compared with $8 billion. And let's not forget about streaming subscriptions, which jumped 20 percent to reach $5.7 billion. "

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/20/4k-bluray-already-dead/

It's only going to get worse for the physical market, eventually disappearing all together, digital is the future boys, time to get on board!

"In fact, digital sales also surpassed physical-media purchases last year, clocking in at $8.9 billion compared with $8 billion. And let's not forget about streaming subscriptions, which jumped 20 percent to reach $5.7 billion. "

It's only going to get worse for the physical market, eventually disappearing all together, digital is the future boys, time to get on board!
your such a fucking tool, when these companies decide to pull your license you have for all your digital content and your out hundreds and thousands of dollars and have nothing to show for it I will laugh in your face

your such a fucking tool, when these companies decide to pull your license you have for all your digital content and your out hundreds and thousands of dollars and have nothing to show for it I will laugh in your face
Just wait until toilet paper becomes digital... we'll be in deep doodoo.

Seems like anyone that wants to upgrade for the added benefits to games should make plans to upgrade... anyone that isn't interest should probably pass.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. Neither system seems exactly the ideal plan for UHD content. XB1S lacks in audio. PS4P lacks in UHD BR Disc playback. In the end, anyone that is serious about Home AV shouldn't be looking at either device for this purpose... though they can use either device to gimp their way through trying to get some 4K content on their 4K tv. Which is kind of silly anyway since very few movies are anything above 2K downsampling during editing.

It's all a crapshoot. Your physical library (and mine, as I have a solid library of games and stuff) can easily burn in a house fire, get stolen, get water damaged due to a storm, get broke by little kids (and trust me, it takes only 1 incident for this to happen... happened to much of my Saturn collection once.. and it was boxed up in a closet out of reach)... or so on.

I love physical media, but there isn't any guaranteed option that'll provide your purchases will still be there 10 years from now.

Plus we all die anyway... as does hardware and the parts to keep in running...

You're going to laugh in my face over the Internet?

When has a company pulled a license? Has that ever happened before?

Anyways I torrent everything anyways so there's no license to pull and I haven't spent a dime, pretty good for a f'ing tool eh?

It depends on how you massage the numbers. I've seen other sources still attribute physical discs as the single biggest revenue of movie studios. I think a large portion of the problem is the numbers for streaming, movie sales, tv sales, etc are lumped into one category vs disc sales. But, It is true that digital is increasing and 2016 will probably undisputedly be the first year they overtake physical sales.

However, I do think a good portion of that is because buying bluray felt kind of empty in a world of 4k hdr sets and buying 4k bluray wasn't really a thing until the last few months and even now the players are limited and prices are high. I know myself and I'd much rather rent a bluray or stream something than buy one which is already obsolete or pay the huge early adopter tax for 4k bluray. However, the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S making it mainstream, may have changed that. Now we just wont know and 4k bluray could well be a non-starter.

Reference: http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/home-entertainment-spending-2015-studios-1201673329/

Seems like anyone that wants to upgrade for the added benefits to games should make plans to upgrade... anyone that isn't interest should probably pass.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. Neither system seems exactly the ideal plan for UHD content. XB1S lacks in audio. PS4P lacks in UHD BR Disc playback. In the end, anyone that is serious about Home AV shouldn't be looking at either device for this purpose... though they can use either device to gimp their way through trying to get some 4K content on their 4K tv. Which is kind of silly anyway since very few movies are anything above 2K downsampling during editing.

It's all a crapshoot. Your physical library (and mine, as I have a solid library of games and stuff) can easily burn in a house fire, get stolen, get water damaged due to a storm, get broke by little kids (and trust me, it takes only 1 incident for this to happen... happened to much of my Saturn collection once.. and it was boxed up in a closet out of reach)... or so on.

I love physical media, but there isn't any guaranteed option that'll provide your purchases will still be there 10 years from now.

Plus we all die anyway... as does hardware and the parts to keep in running...
This is true to a point. But Physical media is always replaceable, if a company pulls licenses to digital products much like Sony did not all that long ago with PS Mobile then that content is gone forever. While yes I think digital is going to become more the norm because people are lazy to say that Digital will completely overtake Physical media is laughable at best. Digital media just makes zero sense to me especially when it comes to Movies because fact is almost all movies now come with a digital copy included in the purchase usually at same price or usually even cheaper then digital. IMO digital will only truly ever surpass physical if we start seeing more sales on digital products and a drop in price overall. I mean wtf does a movie sell for 20 new digitally and 20 new in blu ray form when for them to sell that digital copy cost then absolutly nothing.

Anyways I torrent everything anyways so there's no license to pull and I haven't spent a dime, pretty good for a f'ing tool eh?
Yeah actuall you are a tool, seeing as how you just openly admitted to breaking the law. Torrenting media is basically stealing you ignorant fool. And i gave you an example of a company pulling digital licences when Sony did it with PS Mobile not that long ago.

Those who don't care about the power differences probably don't care about a 4K Blu Ray drive either at this point. For them what console has the games they want to play and/or their friends have will be a larger factor in which $299 console to get. Or at least it should be. What good in having a PS4 when you want to play Halo with your friends?

Any time someone asks me which one to get I ask what do you want to play and what do your friends have. No one has asked about hooking it to a 4K TV to watch 4K Blu Rays. Last person who asked me a month or two ago I mentioned 4K. She said her grandson has a smaller TV that is a few years old.
Exactly, just the difference is every one I know who play console games play on PS3/4 (non-American Asians almost always buy PS first and more Asian oriented games). Only the enthusiast gamers care about the power, 4K, HDR, and most of them are here that's why we get such discussion. Casual gamers knows only if they can play the game they want on which console and might just notice 500GB and 1TB difference.

It has been proven a few times those figures are just on paper and not the major factor in a console war. Sony simply didn't see they need to compete with XBox in the current generation, regardless how much more powerful of next Xbox. PS4 have larger installment base and will continue that way, they likely get more money and will focus more improving PSN and add on service provided.

Actually yes. Digital ecosystems close all the time when they aren't popular and making money. When a company stops pulling a profit they go away. All it takes is for a large company to get acquired or declare bankruptcy or just decide digital revenue isn't worth it. Look at things like Shiny Loot, Indie Gala, Desura, Gamefly, Direct2Drive on the gaming side. I don't know the movie side but I'm guessing there have been a few. Usually they give some kind of notice but sometimes its not much time at all.

This is exactly true. The only difference is I was hoping Sony would do better and be the ideal plan. As it stands they did worse than MS and it's disappointing.

However, I do not see the PS Pro being appealing in the slightest to those who want to stream. We have confirmed netflix at launch, youtube in the future but nothing else. I imagine most of the people with 4k tvs are of the smart variety and probably already can stream those things. So unless you want the extra power to game I dont see the point.

Phones are also a more critical part of daily life than a gaming system. They also tend to have more wear after 2 years than a console and need replacement due to that. Cell phones are closer to a necessity than a luxury at this point.

Personal phones have become the standard social status-symbol of our times. They are accessories that people carry with them, are seen with in public, and use constantly. For most people, their phone is far more important to them than a console ever would be. The average console is purchase, placed underneath a television, and then never seen by anyone outside of someone's very close social circle. How good the device looks is almost entirely irrelevant, and how well it plays is only important to that person themselves. The only social pressure associated with a home video game console is playing on-line with your friends. Since that isn't really an issue with a hardware upgrade like the PS4-Pro, there's nothing to stop someone from just picking up the cheap slim model instead. (if they don't feel like spending extra)

L605rI6.jpg

SHOCKING details in next months Console magazine

Well, ISPs better get on it. In the country streaming is still not an option

Here's a commentary video of Digital Foundry, the same people that have done the PS4 and Xbox one comparisons all generation, giving their hands on first impressions.  They really seem quite impressed with what Sony has been able to accomplish with this machine, check it out here:

https://youtu.be/pUb63Dc7-Bw

Unless for example developers don't try as hard anymore for the normal ps4 like say uncharted did knowing they can just do that easier on the pro.. Then that would suck

I am planning on upgrading my PS4 to the PS4 Pro but I have a question..I currently have a 2TB hard drive in my PS4..the ST2000LM003 model..can I just take it out and put it in the new PS4 Pro would it work? I know with the PS4 you take off the cover and have to unscrew a bunch of stuff in order to put in the new hard drive is that the case here..just want to be sure I can put in this hard drive and it would work poperly

I am planning on upgrading my PS4 to the PS4 Pro but I have a question..I currently have a 2TB hard drive in my PS4..the ST2000LM003 model..can I just take it out and put it in the new PS4 Pro would it work? I know with the PS4 you take off the cover and have to unscrew a bunch of stuff in order to put in the new hard drive is that the case here..just want to be sure I can put in this hard drive and it would work poperly
Unless something has changed, you cannot just put a hard drive from one PS4 into another.. however I believe in one of the recent firmware revisions they did add the ability to backup all your data to an external and migrate it to a new system.

PS4 Pro is the laziest designed console I've ever seen. I'm trying to visualize how their meeting room when they hammered out the plans

"OK guys, this is our new console, and MS is bringing out the big guns with their Slim and Scorpio, we need this thing to be really powerful, but also to be a sleek and sexy looking console."

"Hey, I got a great idea design. You know the slim? Let's stack another layer on top of it and call it the Pro!"

"Great idea Bob!!!"

Not that console design matters much, but something about this design just annoys me. No creativity whatsoever.

Here's a commentary video of Digital Foundry, the same people that have done the PS4 and Xbox one comparisons all generation, giving their hands on first impressions. They really seem quite impressed with what Sony has been able to accomplish with this machine, check it out here:

https://youtu.be/pUb63Dc7-Bw
I watched the Horizon 4K trailer on my 4KTV and it's fairly impressive. I get it's not true 4K but it looks much nicer than the 1080p trailers... but during the faster motion scenes (basically, anywhere Aloy is fighting), there's basically no difference. During slower scenes or when she's standing and only the camera is moving, it looks fantastic.

I wish my TV had HDR though...

Unless something has changed, you cannot just put a hard drive from one PS4 into another.. however I believe in one of the recent firmware revisions they did add the ability to backup all your data to an external and migrate it to a new system.
I just made sure all my saves were pushed up to PS+. I also put them on a USB stick. Put the firmware in the right path on another USB stick (Case matters). Put it into recovery mode or whatever installed the firmware. Got it booted up and logged in. Then went to my laptop and when through my download list and clicked on download to my PS4 on anything that I thought I might actually play.

Wasn't worth the effort to me to backup to another external drive. Took a couple of days to download everything.

Oh I dont mind redownloading everything that is totally fine. I just figured I would backup ONLY the saves from my games, take out the hard drive, put back in the 500GB that it came with..put in the 2TB into the NEW PS4 Pro, go into safe mode and reformat it, then just redownload everything is that OK..just wasnt sure if the hard drive that I have would even work with the new PS4 PRO..if Gamestop has another promotion to sell the PS4 for 200 in credit for a new console I will do it

bread's done
Back