PS4 Pro Preorders up

Unless something has changed, you cannot just put a hard drive from one PS4 into another.. however I believe in one of the recent firmware revisions they did add the ability to backup all your data to an external and migrate it to a new system.
It hasn't changed since the drive is encrypted to the PS4 system. You have to back everything up to an external drive and restore it on the new system. Once you put the 2TB HDD in the new system, it'll want to format it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering if there will be some type of holiday bundle for the Pro that will include a free game.  The Slim currently has the Uncharted 4 bundle, so I think I may hold off a tad bit longer to see how things pan out.  That and to see how reliable these things are out of the gate.

It's an easier pill to swallow when it is very easy to finance the phone interest free. For most people, they pay the PS4 Pro price upfront.
also people use their phone everyday. I play a lot of games but I don't spend nearly as much time with my ps4 as I do my phone.

Oh I dont mind redownloading everything that is totally fine. I just figured I would backup ONLY the saves from my games, take out the hard drive, put back in the 500GB that it came with..put in the 2TB into the NEW PS4 Pro, go into safe mode and reformat it, then just redownload everything is that OK..just wasnt sure if the hard drive that I have would even work with the new PS4 PRO..if Gamestop has another promotion to sell the PS4 for 200 in credit for a new console I will do it
Talk about timing Sony just tweeted a link to the instructions to this.

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

I hope bestbuy replaces the OG ps4 on display with the ps4 pro so I can go see for myself if I'd actually want it. Not sure if the tv they have on display is 4k already

Well I don't own a PS4 yet and was waiting for the Neo/Pro to get one but after reading up on it and not planning to get a 4K TV anytime soon this is an easy pass for me. I'll be getting a PS4 slim instead, and with the holiday season coming up I amsure there will be some deals on bundles

Yeah but that is for the old PS4..Im wondering if we can do this with the new PS4 PRO if I can use the same drive that I have on my PS4 the 2Tb one that I have
I don't think that will be a big difference. Sony is very open in supporting replacing your own HDD since PS3 with official instructions online.

And the original PS4 requires a thin 3.5 HDD/SSD with 9.5mm or less, and there are only TWO 2TB HDD meets the requirement in the market, the older Seagate/Samsung ST2000LM003 (9mm) or newer M007 (7mm), I do recommend M007 as people have reported occasionally beep sound with M003, and M007 is slightly benchmarked faster using larger cache and lower power.

So, unless Sony really changed their mind of aftermarket HDD support since PS3 or make the stock HDD less than 9mm (that will make them harder to source OEM HDD), I believe both M003 or M007 will still fit the PS4 Pro.

I don't get people complaining about price. You can sell your PS4 for $200, that's about $200 for the upgrade once every 3 years. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be spending anything at all on gaming.

I don't get people complaining about price. You can sell your PS4 for $200, that's about $200 for the upgrade once every 3 years. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be spending anything at all on gaming.
Hot take alert! lol

But seriously, I think it has less to do with ''afford'' and more to do with not seeing the upgrade as worthwhile yet.

I don't think that will be a big difference. Sony is very open in supporting replacing your own HDD since PS3 with official instructions online.

And the original PS4 requires a thin 3.5 HDD/SSD with 9.5mm or less, and there are only TWO 2TB HDD meets the requirement in the market, the older Seagate/Samsung ST2000LM003 (9mm) or newer M007 (7mm), I do recommend M007 as people have reported occasionally beep sound with M003, and M007 is slightly benchmarked faster using larger cache and lower power.

So, unless Sony really changed their mind of aftermarket HDD support since PS3 or make the stock HDD less than 9mm (that will make them harder to source OEM HDD), I believe both M003 or M007 will still fit the PS4 Pro.
The one that I have is the M003 and thank goodness I have never had any issues with it beeping for any reason..I have had it for maybe 6 months and so does a buddy of mine(I recommended to him the same drive) and no issues so as long as it will work with the new PS4 PRO then I will put it in just wasnt sure if it would work..the M007 drive is actually cheaper than what I spent on mine(spent 20 bucks more but that was over 6 months ago so prices change from time to time..the only issue I ever had with the drive is when I first got it installed, no beeping or anything but when I was installing some games it did freeze but that only happened once thank goodness

Think they'll be any Black Friday PS4 Pro bundles? It might be worth waiting a few extra weeks.
Official bundles, I highly doubt it. Store sales and offers I could see happening. $30 gift card at Target, free Black Ops 3 at GameStop. Save $30 on PS+ at Best Buy...

Seems like anyone that wants to upgrade for the added benefits to games should make plans to upgrade... anyone that isn't interest should probably pass.

I don't see why this is such a big deal. Neither system seems exactly the ideal plan for UHD content. XB1S lacks in audio. PS4P lacks in UHD BR Disc playback. In the end, anyone that is serious about Home AV shouldn't be looking at either device for this purpose... though they can use either device to gimp their way through trying to get some 4K content on their 4K tv. Which is kind of silly anyway since very few movies are anything above 2K downsampling during editing.

It's all a crapshoot. Your physical library (and mine, as I have a solid library of games and stuff) can easily burn in a house fire, get stolen, get water damaged due to a storm, get broke by little kids (and trust me, it takes only 1 incident for this to happen... happened to much of my Saturn collection once.. and it was boxed up in a closet out of reach)... or so on.

I love physical media, but there isn't any guaranteed option that'll provide your purchases will still be there 10 years from now.

Plus we all die anyway... as does hardware and the parts to keep in running...
Wow. Somehow we went from disappointment to straight-up depression. Let's fix that:

attack.gif

I was having trouble justifying the VR and so far this Pro is on par with GameStop's Pro if you know what I mean. But let's put a positive spin on it now: if these aren't worth the upgrade, my CAG wallet is safe for another 3 years. Or you know...I could spend it on Nintendo junk like I usually do...

Annoyed it doesn't include a 4K Blu Ray player, but I probably won't have a 4K display until late next year at the earliest.

Gotta wonder if there will be any sales for it on it for Black Friday. I doubt it but I will probably wait after launch to see what happens.
That and how could they skimp with the 1tb HDD?

Pass.

Hot take alert! lol

But seriously, I think it has less to do with ''afford'' and more to do with not seeing the upgrade as worthwhile yet.
That's fair. If it just doesn't interest people, that's perfectly fine. To complain about the price is another thing, I feel like the upgrades are worthy of an upgrade, but that's my opinion.

I'll just sit back and enjoy watching everyone else complain and take sides, while I have my PS4 ,X1 and PC. Now if only I had time to play any of them.

That's fair. If it just doesn't interest people, that's perfectly fine. To complain about the price is another thing, I feel like the upgrades are worthy of an upgrade, but that's my opinion.

I'll just sit back and enjoy watching everyone else complain and take sides, while I have my PS4 ,X1 and PC. Now if only I had time to play any of them.
Why not use the time sitting back and watching to play some games? I recommend the new Doom, crazy good game.

Why not use the time sitting back and watching to play some games? I recommend the new Doom, crazy good game.
Out of town for a work a lot, but I did actually order Doom from the $20 sale. It will be waiting for me when I get back. Looks awesome, can't wait.

People need to calm down the Scorpio and TeraFAPS bullshit... stop acting like Microsoft hasn't lied in the past before

and probably isn't lying to hype up their mystery machine now... As far as I'm concerned the Scorpio is the name of the controller for the NX... because we know jack shit about both.
The more Teraflaps she has, the better the fuck.

I'm not too comfortable selling console on CL. Console usually crap out in 2-4 yrs from my experience (Atari gamer here but may be bc of 4 Xbox rrod). Selling a used console would more than likely occur at home to test console functionality. I would hate to deal with buyer again 1/2yrs later when buyer decide to knock on my door. Any advice to sell anoumously? (I've sold several launch ps4 @ Wally parking lot but those were brand new and sealed)

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro / Hands-On First Impressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUb63Dc7-Bw

I have been watching this thread and other comments around the internet and am continually surprised at the constant talk of Scorpio as if it is a concrete thing with a fully determined plan, release date, price, specs, etc.  People keep talking about waiting for the Scorpio as if it's just around the corner and as if they may as well wait at this point.  Wait for what?  You may as well be waiting for a political promise at this point. 

I'm sure Scorpio is coming eventually, but I wouldn't be so sure it's coming as quickly as you think.  Sony just handed Microsoft a nice reprieve on the arms race by not having any good way to highlight reasons for buying their upgraded, more expensive hardware, so Microsoft just needs to keep their pricing low and do other things right rather than rush with a new box.  The last thing Microsoft wants to do now is rush out a high priced, high end console.

I have been watching this thread and other comments around the internet and am continually surprised at the constant talk of Scorpio as if it is a concrete thing with a fully determined plan, release date, price, specs, etc. People keep talking about waiting for the Scorpio as if it's just around the corner and as if they may as well wait at this point. Wait for what? You may as well be waiting for a political promise at this point.

I'm sure Scorpio is coming eventually, but I wouldn't be so sure it's coming as quickly as you think. Sony just handed Microsoft a nice reprieve on the arms race by not having any good way to highlight reasons for buying their upgraded, more expensive hardware, so Microsoft just needs to keep their pricing low and do other things right rather than rush with a new box. The last thing Microsoft wants to do now is rush out a high priced, high end console.
I'm not that excited about Scorpio considering that all of the announced new Xbox games will be on PC. If Halo 6 isn't an exclusive, I'll have little reason to get one. PS4 Pro isn't as exciting hardware-wise, but it has lots of games you can't get on PC.

At this point I don't plan on canceling my Pro pre-order and will pick it up on November 10th. I've invested quite a bit of money into the PS4 with accessories and games at this point and honestly want to have two consoles in my home so this is going to be worth it for me plus having a 4K TV I will have something to show off other than Netflix and YouTube. 

I'm not too comfortable selling console on CL. Console usually crap out in 2-4 yrs from my experience (Atari gamer here but may be bc of 4 Xbox rrod). Selling a used console would more than likely occur at home to test console functionality. I would hate to deal with buyer again 1/2yrs later when buyer decide to knock on my door. Any advice to sell anoumously? (I've sold several launch ps4 @ Wally parking lot but those were brand new and sealed)
If someone gets mad that a used system crapped out on them 18-24 months later, they should be mad at the console maker, not the guy they bought it from. I've sold used stuff and I don't entertain any complaints after a couple days. After that point, the damage could've been done by the buyer. Used means "as-is'' and that's the risk of buying used.

I wouldn't be giving out my address to random people on Craigslist for sure. I don't want anyone trying to track me down. Meet in a parking lot. That being said, i'd never fool with the hassle and just trade it in. It's not worth it to me at this point in my life, but I understand everyone's different and may have more time on their hands, etc.

Most are saying the 310 watts listed on the spec sheet is the maximum load the PSU can handle and not how much the system will draw. It does however have a PC style plug port rather than the lower gauge figure 8 plug the PS4 has so it is likely more power hungry than the original.
Yeah I'm guessing it will probably use around 225-250 watts when gaming but still that's double of the PS4 (current models) & I think my original PS3 was rated at 390 watts and it still used 90 nm chips. PS4 launch systems were 28 nm if I'm not mistaken so this ps4 pro has me very curious as to what's actually going on inside the box. Interesting to hear it has the big PC type plug with it's own ground post.

- no framerate improvement to multiplayer games

- no 4k UHD Bluray disc support

- most games not natively 4k res

- underpowered specs compared to upcoming Xbox Scorpio

Can't think of a bigger waste of money right now than this thing.

Sony will likely have to make another revision next year to compete with Microsoft.

They only spec we know of for scorpio is 6 TF that on its own doesn't mean much unless I missed a recent announcement.
We've also known this for quite sometime now. The Pro/Neo was never going to be more powerful than the Scorpio.

- no framerate improvement to multiplayer games

- no 4k UHD Bluray disc support

- most games not natively 4k res

- underpowered specs compared to upcoming Xbox Scorpio

Can't think of a bigger waste of money right now than this thing.

Sony will likely have to make another revision next year to compete with Microsoft.
Framerate changes to multiplayer would break games and give Pro users an advantage, which just isn't fair, so this makes sense that Sony is going this route. The fact that any game is displaying in native 4K is insane considering the specs of this thing. I do agree that lack of 4K UHD Blu-Ray support is a major bummer, but I can certainly think of a number of things that would be much bigger waste of money than the PS4 Pro.

only thing that would be a bigger waste of money is scorpio, $500 or more and will still struggle to get native 4k to run at 30 fps. i wish sony and microsoft would take all this money making "new" consoles and put it into game development. might as well get a gaming pc at this point.

I'm as upset as anyone about the lack of 4k bluray but all this other negativity seems silly.  

Yes it wont give you (much of) an advantage in multiplayer. 

No it cant play natively in 4k.

It still will be a hell of a lot better than a stock ps4 and for not a whole lot more money.  

As a gamer, I'll buy it.  As a media device... not interested.

I think after doing a ton of research I've decided to forego an upgrade for now. Too many caveats to each bullet point that paint a huge picture of "meh". Had they hit every note solidly, I'd be on-board but I can't justify getting only half of what I want out of each upgrade. I think Sony is taking a big risk but I'm glad they're at least trying.

When you're at the top, it's easy to rest on your laurels. Ask M$ how that worked out for them. ;)

It's not a 3.5" HDD, it's a 2.5" HDD. Careful with wrong info about drive size.

There are drives that are larger than 2TB, though since the PS4 won't support anything thicker than a 9.5mm drive, you're limited to what drives work. There's a WD drive that is 3TB as is a Toshiba drive that is also 3TB, though they're both 15mm high, so they're too thick for the PS4.

The only way you can get more than 2TB in a PS4 is to put one of these in it:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-25-sata-iii-4tb-mz-75e4t0b-am/

It's around $1300 and up from a $1500 MSRP:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-2-5-Inch-MZ-75E4T0B/dp/B01G844OOO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147566

Sony even has to list in the PS4 Pro description: "PS4 Pro does not support 4K Blu-ray Discs"

What a strange decision for Sony, who's been nailing it this generation.

There are drives that are larger than 2TB, though since the PS4 won't support anything thicker than a 9.5mm drive, you're limited to what drives work. There's a WD drive that is 3TB as is a Toshiba drive that is also 3TB, though they're both 15mm high, so they're too thick for the PS4.

The only way you can get more than 2TB in a PS4 is to put one of these in it:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-25-sata-iii-4tb-mz-75e4t0b-am/

It's around $1300 and up from a $1500 MSRP:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-2-5-Inch-MZ-75E4T0B/dp/B01G844OOO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147566
They have 4tb 2.5 inch HDD's https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Momentus-2-5-inch-Drive-ST4000LM016/dp/B016YFEYK6

only thing that would be a bigger waste of money is scorpio, $500 or more and will still struggle to get native 4k to run at 30 fps. i wish sony and microsoft would take all this money making "new" consoles and put it into game development. might as well get a gaming pc at this point.
I dont think you can say that it won't yet. It's in the ballpark at least. Optimization can do wonders for software. PC doesn't get optimized well do to the millions of possible configurations. The high res version of a console game only has a single configuration and therefore can be optimized for that configuration. A 6 TF console can produce much higher quality than a PC with a 6 TF graphics card.

Didn't know Seagate had a 4TB HDD, good fact to know, though not applicable for the PS4 and most laptops.

Let me state this again, since you missed it the first time, about the drive thickness:

There are drives that are larger than 2TB, though since the PS4 won't support anything thicker than a 9.5mm drive, you're limited to what drives work. There's a WD drive that is 3TB as is a Toshiba drive that is also 3TB, plus this newly found Seagate 4TB, though they are all 15mm high, so they're too thick for the PS4.

The PS4 can't have a 2.5" drive installed that is thicker than 9.5mm high, so any drive has to be that thin or thinner.

The 4TB Samsung Evo 4TB SSD is 7mm thick and will work in the PS4, since it's the right width and as thin or thinner than 9.5mm thick. Or any other >2TB SSD that is SATA3 and not SAS, M.2, PCI-E or some other non-SATA interface. AFAIK, the Samsung 850 Evo 4TB is the only one that would work.

3.5 was a typo, but anyone search for those 2 model numbers I listed will know they're 2.5" HDD and those are only non-SSD option for 2TB to fit in PS4. Putting in an SSD costs a few more times than the PS4 itself is plain silly.

But you can always use the Nyko hard drive attachment to fit a 3.5" 6TB of whatever you choose for the PS4

3.5 was a typo, but anyone search for those 2 model numbers I listed will know they're 2.5" HDD and those are only non-SSD option for 2TB to fit in PS4. Putting in an SSD costs a few more times than the PS4 itself is plain silly.

But you can always use the Nyko hard drive attachment to fit a 3.5" 6TB of whatever you choose for the PS4
How much noise does a 3.5 Desktop HD make in one of those Nyko boxes? Has to made a decent amount of noise no?

Sony was obviously trying to keep the price at $399 on this & I think with a 1 TB hdd & the extra power a $100 extra is not bad at all. Having said this I see no point in getting one as long as my launch PS4 keeps performing but if I were in the market for a new PS4 the pro would be a hell of an option to have still at a decent price. I keep hearing all this Scorpio talk but it's not coming out anytime soon so it's not relevant anyways at this point just as the pro is not relevant to a large percentage of us who already own a PS4.

How much noise does a 3.5 Desktop HD make in one of those Nyko boxes? Has to made a decent amount of noise no?
Sorry, I don't have one, though I have thought about it. The problem is it with PS4 will not fit into my TV cabinet stand unless I move my PS4 out (to show the Vader deco isn't bad thing but the rack will cover his head LOL). So, I settled for a 2TB 2.5" which doesn't cost a lot.

You might find reviews on Internet. But I doubt it will be nosier than the jet engine fan of PS4.

Or you can try those green/quiet 3.5" HD, 3.5" HD have more choices you can pick.

Sony was obviously trying to keep the price at $399 on this & I think with a 1 TB hdd & the extra power a $100 extra is not bad at all. Having said this I see no point in getting one as long as my launch PS4 keeps performing but if I were in the market for a new PS4 the pro would be a hell of an option to have still at a decent price. I keep hearing all this Scorpio talk but it's not coming out anytime soon so it's not relevant anyways at this point just as the pro is not relevant to a large percentage of us who already own a PS4.
Sony got burnt really bad when PS3 was released at $600, which taught them a lesson that a Blu-ray player and powerful machine didn't really help. It took years for them to turn around with better game support and developers learnt how to make a good use of the power (and Blu-ray gained more popularity also helped)

I don't understand the complaint, it's obviously a mid-cycle update and for VR support which needs more power. PS and PS2 have life cycle over 10 years, there isn't a reason for Sony to release a groundbreaking machine. If I didn't have a PS4 already, I certainly will pick the PS4 Pro for not paying much more (ignore the fact that original PS4 price would drop)

bread's done
Back