PS4 Pro Preorders up

I don't care if a console plays blu ray 4k discs or not really. It was a smarter move by Sony to save the money by not including it. 4k TV adoption is still small, and the amount of movies on is pretty small with mostly only newer movies taking advantage of it, older movies would require a lot of money spent and the original negatives to do a worth while 4k restoration.

Besides unless I am wrong you can still stream 4k content on it like breaking bad on Netflix. Seems like how much streaming is taking over it won't be long before streaming 4k will be the more popular choice over disc 4k.

But I also buy a console to just play games on, I don't do anything else with it.

4k on consoles is still in that middle stage anyway. Even with Scorpio even if it did run games native at 4k they would still be hampered by the fact most games would be built to run on xb1 as well. Kind of like how destiny on ps4 and xb1 is still tethered to the fact the engine was built to run on 360 and ps3, sure you can juice it up some but it's still on an old foundation.

4k gaming probably won't matter to me till next gen.

I'm also hesitant to support mid generation bumps. If they make too much money on them then it will reach a point we no longer get big leaps, just smaller steps every 2 years with new hardware always on the horizon. I don't mind spending good money on a console, but I don't want to rebuy one every couple years just for hdr effects and ground clutter. That also holds back developers since they need to restrain games to always be working on the previous systems also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea uncharted ever did Co op nor that anyone cared about it.
I don't think that was ever a thing in single player which is the only thing I care about in an uncharted game but on a side note I hate that they got rid or didn't include donut drake in U4 apparently they were scared of inciting bad publicity/reactions. I'm fat and donut drake is one of the only times I've played as someone even remotely resembling me lol I never felt offended but I know I can only talk for myself.

I remember last gen people upgrading to the Xbox 360 Elite which offered slight aesthetic differences, larger hard drive and built in wifi/hdmi and came with a price increase and people were buying that up like crazy.

Now you have a system in the PS4 Pro that not only offers improved wifi, double the hard drive space, different aesthetics, but also offers support for 4k TVs and enhances the 1080p experience and is offered at only a slight premium over the originals price.. people are silly to think this thing isn't a substantial upgrade and that it isn't going to sell.

I personally think once this thing hits shelves and people see what the machine can do including what it does for standard 1080p sets, word of mouth is going to make these machines fly off shelves.
It's just that people expect a lot from Sony. They expect the ps4 pro to be the greatest thing ever. I expected it to be really powerful, have external hard drive support 4k blu ray support, etc. I feel like they didn't go all out though. If they did, the price of that thing would've been at least 500. It's still a pretty strong console though. All of a sudden people started caring so much about 4k blu ray drive

It's just that people expect a lot from Sony. They expect the ps4 pro to be the greatest thing ever. I expected it to be really powerful, have external hard drive support 4k blu ray support, etc. I feel like they didn't go all out though. If they did, the price of that thing would've been at least 500. It's still a pretty strong console though. All of a sudden people started caring so much about 4k blu ray drive
People expected the system to rival the Xbox Scorpio in terms of power and features, however although its more powerful than the Xbox S, it's hard to get excited about a new PS4 that is missing features that the lower tier Xbox S already has in place. A 300 dollar console and a 500 dollar console would have been good. People don't mind paying extra for "Premium."

Xbox One S does what PlaySta-Don't

3D MOVIES AND GAMES

USB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SUPPORT

HDR GAMING AND 4K BLURAY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX

AN EVER GROWING LIST OF XBOX 360 BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

If sony wants me to go "pro", they would have to at least MATCH the Xbox One S and then some.

Xbox One S does what PlaySta-Don't

3D MOVIES AND GAMES
USB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE SUPPORT
HDR GAMING AND 4K BLURAY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX
AN EVER GROWING LIST OF XBOX 360 BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

If sony wants me to go "pro", they would have to at least MATCH the Xbox One S and then some.
I don't think Sony will ever give you a growing list of Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Don't forget, as of right now only Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3 and Scalebond will be using HDR.
Well said...as of right now......those games are just the first CONFIRMED Pre-holiday titles to support it.

People expected the system to rival the Xbox Scorpio in terms of power and features, however although its more powerful than the Xbox S, it's hard to get excited about a new PS4 that is missing features that the lower tier Xbox S already has in place. A 300 dollar console and a 500 dollar console would have been good. People don't mind paying extra for "Premium."
They sure minded when PS3 released and was feature packed. It took Sony forever to right that ship. I doubt they're going that route. I'm not sure what sensible or informed gamer expected them to release this year and still rival Scorpio. That's a silly statement.

They may have made a misstep with the UHD drive, but I'd imagine Sony knows how much those are selling better than us. I wouldn't use it, but it wouldn't have hurt to include it.

I remember last gen people upgrading to the Xbox 360 Elite which offered slight aesthetic differences, larger hard drive and built in wifi/hdmi and came with a price increase and people were buying that up like crazy.

Now you have a system in the PS4 Pro that not only offers improved wifi, double the hard drive space, different aesthetics, but also offers support for 4k TVs and enhances the 1080p experience and is offered at only a slight premium over the originals price.. people are silly to think this thing isn't a substantial upgrade and that it isn't going to sell.

I personally think once this thing hits shelves and people see what the machine can do including what it does for standard 1080p sets, word of mouth is going to make these machines fly off shelves.
Well, they basically got that in the Slim. And people seem to be pretty ok with the Slim.

The Pro though is something new and different, and people had worked it up in their head to be amazing. This isn't Sony's fault honestly, they kept mostly secret about it. The problem is Sony fanboys (which tend to be much more vocal) are very invested in their choice of platform being head and shoulders above any other console. When it turned out to be a fairly moderate bump rather than a giant step and is missing some features that were assumed to be present, it has a hard effect on their views. Sony failed them, and their worth as a console gamer was tied to Sony's position in the market (as sad as that is).

As a PS4 owner, I'm actually kind of relieved. I don't own a 4k TV, and the step up is moderate enough that it is going to save me some money by virtue of not really seeming necessary. Down the road we will see. The XB1 S also hasn't pushed me to upgrade either, but MS still hasn't put down their last card, and they have the advantage of watching all of this reaction to the "disappointing" PS4 Pro. MS now knows the Scorpio better meet or exceed their stated expectations - the problem is getting the cost down.

Whats happening now though is people are hyping up the Scorpio hard right now without any actual info on it.

Anyone thinking Scorpio is going to be running games at Native 4k/60FPS at an affordable price are going to be in for a huge let down a year from now.

Whats happening now though is people are hyping up the Scorpio hard right now without any actual info on it.

Anyone thinking Scorpio is going to be running games at Native 4k/60FPS at an affordable price are going to be in for a huge let down a year from now.
Kind of. The Scorpio benefits from being the only one still in flux, still unknown. People love to attribute potential features to consoles, and dream it will be more powerful than one can imagine. The Scorpio does have the benefit (for us) of having somewhat announced specs, which means they are kind of in a box now. It kind of needs to be 6 TFlops, whether price goes down enough in a year to make that affordable is unknown. I really feel like the Scorpio cannot come out higher than $399.

No, it probably won't do 4k/60fps on most mainstream games. No it won't make you toast in the morning or walk your dog. But people can still imagine it *might* do that when it comes out.

Kind of. The Scorpio benefits from being the only one still in flux, still unknown. People love to attribute potential features to consoles, and dream it will be more powerful than one can imagine. The Scorpio does have the benefit (for us) of having somewhat announced specs, which means they are kind of in a box now. It kind of needs to be 6 TFlops, whether price goes down enough in a year to make that affordable is unknown. I really feel like the Scorpio cannot come out higher than $399.

No, it probably won't do 4k/60fps on most mainstream games. No it won't make you toast in the morning or walk your dog. But people can still imagine it *might* do that when it comes out.
I think the scorpio is going to be much higher. Only thing confirmed is the 6 Tflop card. What if we get a ram increase? they use larger SSD's than the elite had? Package it with an elite controller?

again not much is known but it seems like MS is tired to losing this console war just do to weaker specs and I see them trying to increase whatever they can to win people over and so sony can't just fire back with ps4 pro slim+ with the same upgrades.

So that is why Sonic moved faster than Mario. I feel old now (SNES vs Sega).
And just like back then, it was stupid marketing bs and fanboys that did everything possible to ruin the market for the other company. Fanboys wanted to justify owning only one system. Companies wanted to bs everyone into believing what they made was better than the other. It was stupid. These game systems all had some pretty great games on them and the real winners were the gamers that realized this and had a blast playing everying! Too bad people can't just buy a system, enjoy it, and if they want the other get it too without all this bs comparison stuff. As if the PS4 Pro lack of a 4K UHD BR Player makes any difference to someone that wants to play Uncharted 4 with the 4K patch.. or any of the other exclusives. Nor does it matter that the games on Scorpio will also be frame rate limited for online play when all you want is to play the latest Halo with your friends. It didn't stop me from getting a GameCube back in the day that it didn't have a DVD drive in it or a built in means for online gaming. I mean, I wanted to play Mario Sunshine and Zelda Wind Waker ... a DVD drive and online wasn't even a factor.

Thankfully Sony put out the PS4 Pro in a way that no one is being forced to upgrade as there are no exclusives for it. MS backed off from having Scorpio exclusives (which initially they said was a possibility), so that means all games pretty much are going to come on BR discs between the X1-consoles and PS4-consoles and you can own whichever version you want. Which to me makes gamers the winners as there are more options to get in the game and play the same thing even if you don't get the highest spec machine. So really comparing the upgraded machines is kind of silly anyway since you don't need any of them to play the latest games.

I think the scorpio is going to be much higher. Only thing confirmed is the 6 Tflop card. What if we get a ram increase? they use larger SSD's than the elite had? Package it with an elite controller?

again not much is known but it seems like MS is tired to losing this console war just do to weaker specs and I see them trying to increase whatever they can to win people over and so sony can't just fire back with ps4 pro slim+ with the same upgrades.
I agree that MS is wanting to pick up the pace in the console wars, but it isn't like the Xbox One is selling bad right now either. As someone who owns both a PS4 and Xbox One, I honestly prefer the Xbox One over the PS4 a bit, I like the interface better (it's still not great), prefer the controller (especially the Elite), and absolutely love that I can use an external drive to store games on. I tend to use my Xbox One for watching TV as well. I've considered Playstation Vue though, but right now only use streaming services like WWE, HBO, Netflix, and Hulu. I am getting a Pro and will absolutely get a Scorpio once it releases too, I am hoping Microsoft really delivers on the Scorpio though and can start carving out a nice piece of the market place, mostly because I need more of my friends to buy Xbox Ones or cross platform multiplayer become a reality, I hate buying games on systems specifically to play with friends who only own the PS4, I hate having to delete and re-install games all the time!

I'm going to have to hold off for now... That conference just didn't sell me.

While many people were expecting too much from the Pro, Sony underwhelmed even those of us with tempered expectations. I do not believe it was unreasonable to expect feature parity with the Xbox One S along with some extra power under the hood. No UHD, unclear benefits for old/VR games, and confusing statements about 4K really took the wind out of Sony's announcement.

Those mistakes were not damning and a better explanation of the benefits of upgrading from the base PS4 would have helped immensely. Now Microsoft has a golden opportunity to steal Sony's thunder. If Microsoft were to require developers to implement a 1080p/60fps version for all games with a Scorpio mode (old and new), they would appease the more tech-savvy gamers. They could additionally allow developers to create extremely pretty 1440p or 1080p version of the game for the average consumer. 

The bottom line is that Sony has been hitting it out of the park this generation, so this stumble really surprised us all. It's crazy, but a few baffling decisions have given Microsoft a serious opportunity to jump back on top (maybe not in sales, but certainly in quality).

P.S. Could you imagine if MS also offered an SSD variant? That would be so expensive, but so badass.

God I swear some many people are either ill informed about 4k and HDR or people dont know wtf they are talking about and need to stfu and listen.

Ps4 Pro will not stream in 4k. 4k streaming is not anywhere close to actual 4k. The bandwith and power you need capable of hitting 4k is quite a lot. You need 8-9ish teraflops to even remotely touch 4k. I know people who run double gtx 980s who do not hit a steady 60 fps in 4k resolution. The reason that sony failed is because they are touting the pro as being able to stream in 4k when it wont even be close. 4k gaming in a console is still a ways off even your precious scorpio and its 6.4 terafaps wont be able to pull it off. Least not while in motion with things happening on the screen. Do some research and read some stuff before you all talk about shit u know nothing about.

I'm going to have to hold off for now... That conference just didn't sell me.

, unclear benefits for old/VR games,
Yeah that is the top reason I'm taking wait-and-see approach with the PS4Pro.

They gotta lay the out details in complete. Full comprehension.

Not saying, "devs can improve games if they want". Uncertainty of the PS4Pro's support means customer uncertainty. And they definitely didn't go into any detail about how it improves the PSVR at all. It sounds very much like they did not establish a strong underlying support for the system; just throw something out there and see what happens. Like a pure cash-grab console.

I was at bestbuy last night and god damn a UHD movie is like $25-$30 each. Who's the target audience? Can you rent UHD movies from redbox kioks or netflix? Sony not adding a 4k UHD Blu-ray drive in the PS4 is a huge blow to the future of UHD. Because of that, I feel UHD will be extremely niched. 

I was at bestbuy last night and god damn a UHD movie is like $25-$30 each. Who's the target audience? Can you rent UHD movies from redbox kioks or netflix? Sony not adding a 4k UHD Blu-ray drive in the PS4 is a huge blow to the future of UHD. Because of that, I feel UHD will be extremely niched.
my local library has a bunch of uhd blurays that you can check out ...check yours! :)

Most rental places I've seen don't carry them and Redbox certainly doesn't. I agree that UHD is niche, but I don't think it's dead in the water already. The format is still fairly new and the players will most definitely get cheaper. Most UHD movies also come with a BluRay and DVD copy as well so it takes a bit of the sting of the $25-$30 price tag too. Problem is there just isn't much on UHD right now that is worth getting a player for. I'd be stoked to see some Criterion in UHD or something like Blade Runner and when that day comes I will get a player if I don't already have a device that plays them (looking at you Scorpio!).

Hmmm I'm wondering even though not fully convinced but also know on some level I'll end up getting it cuz I'm kinda a Sony fanboy lol ... Was thinking of picking up some of those Best Buy gc bonus deals on eBay now and using some rz certificates and selling off my current ps4 for around 220 or so ... Would make the upgrade around 120 for me ... Wonder if it's worth it if I'm not getting vr and will possibly be buying a 4K tv soon

God I swear some many people are either ill informed about 4k and HDR or people dont know wtf they are talking about and need to stfu and listen.

Ps4 Pro will not stream in 4k. 4k streaming is not anywhere close to actual 4k. The bandwith and power you need capable of hitting 4k is quite a lot. You need 8-9ish teraflops to even remotely touch 4k. I know people who run double gtx 980s who do not hit a steady 60 fps in 4k resolution. The reason that sony failed is because they are touting the pro as being able to stream in 4k when it wont even be close. 4k gaming in a console is still a ways off even your precious scorpio and its 6.4 terafaps wont be able to pull it off. Least not while in motion with things happening on the screen. Do some research and read some stuff before you all talk about shit u know nothing about.
Ummm, I don't think you understand what stream means... It has nothing to do with gaming.

Just last week, the Ps4 was $349 retail. Now Sony announces the Pro which is $50 more and twice as powerful as PS4. (I dont know why Sony didn't mention this. But it's true. Look at the specs. It's literally the power of 2 ps4s.) Yep I'm buying it. Great price. Sure the Scorpio will be more powerful but all xbox games are now on PC. I can easily play those on a PC more powerful than Scorpio and with mods. PS4 has great console exclusives on the way. Hype time. I'm just not sure if I should buy a VR. I read the resolution is low and blurry.

When they say stream, they mean watching videos on demand. Not outputting streamed content from the consoles. The console will certainly be able to handle 4k @ 24fps especially with the compression / decompression methods that Netflix does.

I decided to not be a very good CAG just this once and preorder. I'm pissed that Sony has doomed UHD blu-ray, but there are still many exclusives I want to play. I just wish it could do true 4k rather than being upscaling trickery. Watched some YouTube videos and while it looks good, it's evident that it's not the real thing to people who've played games in 4k before.

When the scorpio comes out next year, then sony will have Ps4 pro2 prepped with 8tf a year after that.   Then Xbox will counter that the year after.   Its a console war.

anyone wanna see my teraflop?

p.s. i want the ps4 pro to fully render everything in 4k on my 1080p tv.

Ummm, I don't think you understand what stream means... It has nothing to do with gaming.
Your an idiot because I know what it means and what im saying is if you think PS4 Pro or the scorpio will play in native 4k ur in for a rude awakening. It will be upscaled and probablly wont even hit 1440 resolution. And the netflix and youtube 4k streaming definatly wont hit actual 4k. Thats what i was meaning by stream. Sorry if my words confused but reguardless still not gonna be 4k

Your an idiot because I know what it means and what im saying is if you think PS4 Pro or the scorpio will play in native 4k ur in for a rude awakening. It will be upscaled and probablly wont even hit 1440 resolution. And the netflix and youtube 4k streaming definatly wont hit actual 4k. Thats what i was meaning by stream. Sorry if my words confused but reguardless still not gonna be 4k
It absolutely will stream in 4k. It does not require much power at all to stream in 4k.

Though I agree, that the pro can't do native 4k gaming.

Just last week, the Ps4 was $349 retail. Now Sony announces the Pro which is $50 more and twice as powerful as PS4. (I dont know why Sony didn't mention this. But it's true. Look at the specs. It's literally the power of 2 ps4s.) Yep I'm buying it. Great price. Sure the Scorpio will be more powerful but all xbox games are now on PC. I can easily play those on a PC more powerful than Scorpio and with mods. PS4 has great console exclusives on the way. Hype time. I'm just not sure if I should buy a VR. I read the resolution is low and blurry.
What I wanna know is what you can do with all that power. Higher and stable frame rate, higher resolution, what else

I'm genuinely confused by how many people wanted a 4k player? Most 4k tvs come with them bundled now. Who gives a shit. I'm buying a Pro 4 sho.

I sold my PS4 a few months ago and bought an Xbox One with the intention of buying the Neo later in the year because we all knew it was coming. These specs are really underwhelming though and I haven't missed owning a PS4 at all. Spiderman being an exclusive is the only thing making me reconsider.

I sold my PS4 a few months ago and bought an Xbox One with the intention of buying the Neo later in the year because we all knew it was coming. These specs are really underwhelming though and I haven't missed owning a PS4 at all. Spiderman being an exclusive is the only thing making me reconsider.
This. But I also miss some things like TLoU, heavy rain/B2S (Remaster), and uncharted.

Day 1 buy. I don't have any issues with this. Haven't bought a Blu Ray in years, If I want major graphics I'll just go to my bad ass PC and I planned on getting a 4k tv very soon. Also I needed a never ps4 in the house. Guess it just works out in my favor

bread's done
Back