PSN Cards available in Canada now

^^^ The universe will collapse unto itself and absorb everything you care for from the absolute lack of tax!!

On a less silly note, can't wait for these suckers to go on sale (and hopefully before the end of the month); after all, it's about fcuking time. :)

Yeah, saw them on Friday. Forgot to mention them... Sorry. It was at the EB Games in Eatons

Question: I belong to a gameshare group where the buyer is American (to avoid paying taxes). We do refills when needed at $20. Would I be able to buy a $20 card, give him the code, and have it equal $20 USD on his end?

I was considering getting a PS3 this summer, started looking at how to get money into a PSN account and I was baffled that those cards were not available here.
About time !!!

That woud have really made me think twice about getting that system. Come on, Xbox Live did that what ? 3 years ago ?

[quote name='afterburn999']my inital thoughts to that is no, cause it doesn't work like that for Live but you never know.[/QUOTE]

From the url in the OP, the back of the card it says "Canada Only"

I hope Best Buy gets it in stock then I'll jump when they have their monthly 20% accessories sale

So the cards are not in a plastic clam shell package like the Wii points card? Can't somebody just scratch off the pin at the back?

check your eb games, 20$ and 50$, no tax charged
signature_Sign.jpg

Question: if I change my PS3s registered address to, say, Alberta,and purchase with a PSN card, will I be charged a lower rate of tax than Ontario? There's like an 8% difference the government can't screw me for :p

There's no guarantee these will ever go on sale; it seems they are treated like gift cards, and how often do you see gift cards go on sale?

if u buy this at ebg with EDGE card...do u still pay 20 and 50 or its less? curious, i'll find out by calling ebg store

confirmed, its still the same value if paid by edgecard...so ur actually "LOSING" money if u buy with edge card, better if u pay by gc

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Question: if I change my PS3s registered address to, say, Alberta,and purchase with a PSN card, will I be charged a lower rate of tax than Ontario? There's like an 8% difference the government can't screw me for :p[/QUOTE]

i want to know the answer to this too before i buy anything

I only just got a PS3, so this is probably a silly question.. is it true that we pay PSN in Canadian dollars, and it assumes parity even though we're no longer at parity? If so, that's pretty darn boss.

Yep, Canadian PSN is charged in Canadian dollars. (They collect taxes based on your province). And yes, the Canadian PSN prices are the same as the USA, so we get parity in our PSN prices.

[quote name='webrunner'] If so, that's pretty darn jerkface[/QUOTE]
Fixed, as per Michael Scott's definition of boss? ;)

[quote name='snuter']Yep, Canadian PSN is charged in Canadian dollars. (They collect taxes based on your province). And yes, the Canadian PSN prices are the same as the USA, so we get parity in our PSN prices.[/QUOTE]
so does that mean i just change my province to alberta and i'll get lower tax?

[quote name='firehawk12']Not always, some games are 1 dollar more in Canada.[/QUOTE]

Every game was a dollar more in Canadian money when the PSN Store first started, but ever since they changed it, I think we always pay the same thing our American friends pay.

[quote name='Xeph820']so does that mean i just change my province to alberta and i'll get lower tax?[/QUOTE]

Dude, that's a great idea...I'll have to try it! haha

[quote name='matsam']Every game was a dollar more in Canadian money when the PSN Store first started, but ever since they changed it, I think we always pay the same thing our American friends pay.

Dude, that's a great idea...I'll have to try it! haha[/QUOTE]

lol tell me if it works =P

Why do some of you keep asking about the edge card? Do you know what the edge card does? It gives 10% off of USED games. You won't get any benefit when buying anything else other than USED stuff.

[quote name='Xeph820']so does that mean i just change my province to alberta and i'll get lower tax?[/QUOTE]

:lol: What an original suggestion!

sean09: the edge card dusn't charge u taxes ..say u got 70bux on that ebg edge credit(card) u can buy any 69.99 game and have 1 c left..if u buy that 69.99 game by CASH, u'd have to fork out 79.09! wow, who the hell pays 79bux for ANY game lol

psn network charges 6% tax i think, thats wat the ebg girl told me

I tried this yesterday and it worked

[quote name='Xeph820']thanks, i'll go change my province right now.
do you just change the province or do you have to find an alberta address?[/QUOTE]

just province and postal code

[quote name='kleptodathief']sean09: the edge card dusn't charge u taxes ..say u got 70bux on that ebg edge credit(card) u can buy any 69.99 game and have 1 c left..if u buy that 69.99 game by CASH, u'd have to fork out 79.09! wow, who the hell pays 79bux for ANY game lol

psn network charges 6% tax i think, thats wat the ebg girl told me[/QUOTE]
So with what you are saying, you can load up money on there and skip out on tax? How would you get money on there if not, and are you sure there is no tax then?? Wouldn't everyone just do that?

[quote name='Sean09']So with what you are saying, you can load up money on there and skip out on tax? How would you get money on there if not, and are you sure there is no tax then?? Wouldn't everyone just do that?[/QUOTE]

Any game trade ins are put on an eb edge card

I was in an EB today (found a copy of Fatal Frame II for under $20 w00t!). A kid traded in some games for a PSN card. But the clerks didn't know how to handle them. All the PSN cards were marked "for display only". They called their manager. At home. =)

I didn't stick around for the end of the drama, but I assume te PSN cards work much like the pre-paid phone top-up card I bought today. The card itself is worthless, but when EB scans it, the reciept has a PIN printed on it (aka: no refunds!). When you put the PIN into the PS3, you get the moneyz.

FINALLY. I have a buddy who is a Rock Band freak. On his birthdays I never know what to get him, so its usually a case of beer.

Now I can get him a PSN card so he can download some Rock Band DLC.

The day that I finally plunk the cash down for make-believe space cash, I read that MvsC2 is may/probably/gonna have an empty box with download code equivalent at launch. It's a 5 dollar markup, but I kinda like having boxes. :downer

Ah well, I'll just stick with my plan on getting it as download.

bread's done
Back