PSN/PS+ Deals for the Week of August 8/17

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Not much this week, though PSP owners have the lone new deal for this week. PlayStation Plus will have their new update next week, so I'm including the current deals and when they expire for those that are interested.

Everybody:

Games
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - PSP - $14.99 - Probably Expires 8/24

PlayStation Plus:

Games
PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap - PS3 - $5.24 - Free for current PixelJunk Racers owners - Expires: 8/24
High Velocity Bowling - PS3 - $5.00 - Unknown Expiration
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped - PS3/PSP - $3.00 - Unknown Expiration
echochrome - PS3 - $5.00 - Expires: 8/24

Add-ons and Others
Wipeout HD - Wipeout Fury DLC - $7.99 - Expires: 8/24
Uncharted: Eye of Indra Comic Bundle - $1.25 - Includes two MP skins for Uncharted 2 - Unknown Expiration

yeah this week I thought I was going to die b/c I couldn't handle the up date..nah, just kinda rolled my eyes and moved on. Did grab that Joe Dirt trial..the game was alright, but I couldn't find all the comparisons to Trials and Excitebike, Joe Dirt has a different life of its own..

Is it just me or is the PSX selection sorta lacking, considering the system's been out for almost 4 years now?

[quote name='eastshore4']Is it just me or is the PSX selection sorta lacking, considering the system's been out for almost 4 years now?[/QUOTE]

It's not just you. It's been an item that comes up multiple times in the PSN thread in the PS3 forum. It's pathetic really that after 4 years we have a handful of titles.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It's not just you. It's been an item that comes up multiple times in the PSN thread in the PS3 forum. It's pathetic really that after 4 years we have a handful of titles.[/QUOTE]
Especially compared to the JPN PSN.:cry:

[quote name='eastshore4']Is it just me or is the PSX selection sorta lacking, considering the system's been out for almost 4 years now?[/QUOTE]

If they would release a decent PS1 title every week, there's no telling how much money they'd be making. I know that if Tomba! or the sequel ever came out, there would be a mob of buyers. As it stands, they DO release a bunch of classics...but stuff like Syphon Filter isn't as good as it once was. Bring us the stuff that you can't find anywhere else. How many other games like Tomba! are on the market?

Yes the PSN is a joke, at least for PSP users. They could print money with all the Square, Atlus, etc RPG and SRPG games that the PS1 had, they are sitting on a gold mine.

I'd definitely buy Tomba and Tomba 2, Legend of Mana, Intelligent Qube, Einhander, all the rare classics. The sad thing is I was able to play all of these games on my softmodded PSP like 3 years ago.

I would definitely support Sony if they would start releasing these, since they do DRM decently, but as it stands I'll probably start emulating or something. I bought a lot of VC games till I realized they were a one time thing. Screw that noise.

It makes you wonder if there is some (legal) issue preventing them from putting these PS1 games on the American PSN store. I'm down for games like Brave Fencer Mushashi and Xenogears, which are already on the Japanese PSN.

And I'm praying for Suikoden II to be on there one day.

[quote name='mr_bungle']If they would release a decent PS1 title every week, there's no telling how much money they'd be making. I know that if Tomba! or the sequel ever came out, there would be a mob of buyers. As it stands, they DO release a bunch of classics...but stuff like Syphon Filter isn't as good as it once was. Bring us the stuff that you can't find anywhere else. How many other games like Tomba! are on the market?[/QUOTE]

I played that game when I was a little kid. It made so much of an impact on me, I vividly remember everything about it. And I can't remember half of the stuff I played.

It was just too awesome to comprehend, and i'm not sure why. I'd buy it instantly.

The thing that kills me is that good titles like vagrant story are on European PSN but not here, or xenogears is on the jpn psn but not here, all i want is chrono cross and the 2 above and Ill be happy.

As a side note, is monster hunters freedom unite worth that price? I couldnt get a hold of the controls but after playing mgs pw i may give it another shot.

I'm pissed at Sony over Plus. The official FAQ said we'd get dynamic themes, avatars, and most importantly, add-on content each month. Since month 2 began with Critter Crunch, we haven't received any of that stuff. Seems like they cut out not just the update days every other week, but the contents of the update as well.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']The thing that kills me is that good titles like vagrant story are on European PSN but not here, or xenogears is on the jpn psn but not here, all i want is chrono cross and the 2 above and Ill be happy.

As a side note, is monster hunters freedom unite worth that price? I couldnt get a hold of the controls but after playing mgs pw i may give it another shot.[/QUOTE]

I have around 95 hours playtime in MHFU now, and I just started playing with adhoc party, so I'd say the first 85 were all just the single player.
Having to use the claw will cramp your hand like a bitch for the first few hours, but you get used to it. At this point I actually prefer it to using a second analog stick for cameras, as it frees up your right thumb.

[quote name='mr_bungle'] Bring us the stuff that you can't find anywhere else. How many other games like Tomba! are on the market?[/QUOTE]

None, which is why the game goes for obscene prices on Ebay.

It really is quite dumb that publishers (and Sony) don't want a slice of the Ebay pie... when people are paying $80 - $100 for a game, I believe they would instantly pay $6 (or even $10) for it.

I still can't believe Capcom released a ton of games, but it was all common shit (not as bad, just as in stuff we've already gotten 100 times over) and nothing from Megaman Legends, whose games sell in the $50 - $60 range. Nothing from Breath of Fire, either.

Or we get Suikoden 1, but not 2, ever. Let's not release the more rare of the two, good job Konami.

I've given up on expecting anything from the US division of any of these companies. This service had the chance to become huge, but I think it's too far gone and the damage is already done. Sony US seems content on putting shovelware on there, so I'm content not buying anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was never sucked into psn+. it just seemed like an obvious way to take your money. sony is constantly making promises they dont deliver on. they promise all this stuff and guess what? you pay for it prior to getting the products. lets

Go Japanese young man. Japan PSN selection is bitchin' for PS games. It had a good deal of SNK fighter and likely has more since I checked. It even had a decent shmup selection.
For those bitching about Square and Enix RPG's as well as Atlus it's likely our broadband penetration.

Look at Japan and how wired they are. Shit Europe is likely wired more then we are, throughout Europe, for Broadband.
To be fair "Tomba!" might take a while since I believe it even had bc issues on the PS2 even.
Final Fantasy 7 probably had no problem since SCEA owns the rights to publish it here. There's also something to consider. Last when I was on PSN here SONY was releasing all the PSOne games under them. There was like ONE game not published under Sony on PSN. When I say this I don't mean published on the original PS but on PSN.
Seeing the $3 price on PS One games on this maybe I'll end up getting Japanese PSN+ if it has a decent amount of those deals.

I don't think broadband has as much to do with it as it does digital copyright laws and RIAA. The characters can be licensed, the music licensed, etc. All it takes is not being able to get the digital rights to a sound track and you can't publish the game.

From the PS BLog it appears that vagrant story is coming, just a matter of when, they also spilled on another most asked SE title too. When asked about Suikoden II he said he would pass it along. I wonder if Suikoden I meet their sales expectations.

I tried to buy PixelJunk Racers: Second Lap, but you need PSN+ to even make the purchase.

Has anyone bought the original game and received the new content WITHOUT being a PSN+ member?

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I tried to buy PixelJunk Racers: Second Lap, but you need PSN+ to even make the purchase.

Has anyone bought the original game and received the new content WITHOUT being a PSN+ member?[/QUOTE]
It's available to everyone else next week.

bread's done
Back