PSN Sale - Droplitz 50% off, various PSP games and Minis discounted (2/1 - 2/7)

mkernan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (92%)
This week's sale is not that hot compared to last week's. Sale prices are good 2/1 - 2/7 (technically mid-day 2/8, whenever the PS Store updates again). In any event, here's the list:

PS3:
Droplitz – Sale (PS3) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 2: The Mystery Of Riddle Manor – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 3: The Mystery Of The Concealing Flame – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 4: Death From Above – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 5: The Riddles Of The Past – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 6: Flight Of The Felonious Fugitive – Price Change (PS3) (now $2.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episodes 1-3 Bundle Pack – Price Change (PS3) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 2-6 Upgrade Bundle – Price Change (PS3) (now $13.99, original price $25.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 4-6 Bundle Pack – Price Change (PS3) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 1 – Price Change (PS3) (now $0.99, original price $7.49)
Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 1-6 Bundle Pack – Price Change (PS3) (now $14.99, original price $26.99)

PSP:
Class of Heroes Legacy – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Crimson Gem Saga – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Hammerin’ Hero – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
Hexyz Force – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Knights in the Nightmare – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Riviera: The Promised Land – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
R-Type Command – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Steamboat Chronicles Battle Tournament – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Yggdra Union – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Half-Minute Hero – Price Change (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $19.99)

Minis (PSP/PS3):
Mahjongg Artifacts – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2 – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Stand O’ Food – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.99, original price $4.99)
Supermarket Mania – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
The Mystery Of The Crystal Portal – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
I Must Run! – minis – Permanent Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $3.99)
M.O.Z.O.X. Space Salvager – minis – Price Change (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $2.99)

Expired sale:
"11 for 11" sale - 11 PSN titles for half off. Sale runs from 1/25 through the 31st (technically until 2/1 when the following store update happens afternoon/evening). List of sale titles and links to their Metacritic reviews pages are below.

Costume Quest – $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Deathspank Thongs of Virtue – $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Hoard* – $7.49 sale price; $14.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Soldner-X2: Final Prototype* – $6.49 sale price; $12.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
MotorStorm 3D Rift* – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price
Peggle – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Space Invaders Infinity Gene – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Swords and Soliders** – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Tumble* – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Comet Crash* – $4.99 sale price; $9.99 regular price Metacritic reviews
Shatter** – $3.99 sale price; $7.99 regular price Metacritic reviews

* - Asterisk denotes a PSN exclusive title.
** - Also available for PC on Steam.

My personal recommendations: Costume Quest, Peggle (if you don't already have it on another platform), Tumble (if you have a Move controller), and Shatter.

Source:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...aystation-networks-11-for-2011-ps3-game-sale/
To stay informed with what's new in the Playstation Store on a regular basis and to hear about future sales, be sure to subscribe to the PS Store thread in the PS3 forum!:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180647

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished Costume Quest, it was awesome. I'll probably pick up the expansion. It was short, but worth every penny. I was surprised how much I liked it since I really don't like turn-style RPGs.

Last day to get any of these sales! I'm still debating whether to get Costume Quest, everyone liked it on here and the demo was entertaining so maybe I'll bite later this evening...

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']Last day to get any of these sales! I'm still debating whether to get Costume Quest, everyone liked it on here and the demo was entertaining so maybe I'll bite later this evening...[/QUOTE]

the game sounded and looked like it would suck a lot, but after playing it i would recommend it.

I bought Hoard, for such high review scores, why do I find the game kinda boring? I suggest not getting this if you are looking for a single player experience, I think it's more meant for multi, even though the online is not that active.

I'm on the fence with Tumble only because of the dearth of Move enabled games, but it's reviews are spotty. Heck for only a fin I might bite.

It pisses me off that 2/3 of these PSN games don't have demos, and 2/3 of the ones that have a demo only have it because it's also on XBLA and they already had a demo made.

Picked up Shatter (quite a bit of fun) and the Motorstorm 3D pack, never owned any of the motorstorms and I figure 5 bucks for 10 of 16 tracks is pretty good compromise compared to purchasing the full game. Demo for costume Quest was ok, but it was already starting to get a little repetitive by the end so I think I'll pass.

[quote name='GT']I bought Hoard, for such high review scores, why do I find the game kinda boring? I suggest not getting this if you are looking for a single player experience, I think it's more meant for multi, even though the online is not that active.

I'm on the fence with Tumble only because of the dearth of Move enabled games, but it's reviews are spotty. Heck for only a fin I might bite.[/QUOTE]

I found Hoard to be fun. If you're not into trying for the gold medals, I guess it could be a little boring, since it's not hard to actually just get bronze and call it done.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It pisses me off that 2/3 of these PSN games don't have demos, and 2/3 of the ones that have a demo only have it because it's also on XBLA and they already had a demo made.[/QUOTE]

:applause: Yep. I'm annoyed by that as well. I wanted to try a demo of Eat This, but I can't since they don't have a demo - only videos of gameplay. Booooo!

[quote name='spideymike']:applause: Yep. I'm annoyed by that as well. I wanted to try a demo of Eat This, but I can't since they don't have a demo - only videos of gameplay. Booooo![/QUOTE]

I will third this complaint.

[quote name='typical guy']I will third this complaint.[/QUOTE]Fourth'd here.

The one thing I do like much more with XBL versus PSN is this point, that everything on XBL that's an XBLA game has to have a demo.

Why PSN doesn't require demos for all PSN games posted makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Since we are complaining here, I will throw mine in.

I picked up Tumble, only to realize that it requires the Move, which I do not have.

I realize it says it uses the move in the description, but I didn't read it. They really should have some kind of icon that denotes that Move is REQUIRED for certain games.

$5 pissed away.

It's a tad inconvenient I must say about the demos. You eventually learn that games like Dead Nation should be auto-buys from others and really don't "require" a demo. Now, if they would have a demo for that game, i probably would have bought it weeks earlier

[quote name='kurrptsenate']It's a tad inconvenient I must say about the demos. You eventually learn that games like Dead Nation should be auto-buys from others and really don't "require" a demo. Now, if they would have a demo for that game, i probably would have bought it weeks earlier[/QUOTE]

Yeah when it comes to PSN games, I won't buy it if I can't play a demo first.

[quote name='Fodder']Since we are complaining here, I will throw mine in.

I picked up Tumble, only to realize that it requires the Move, which I do not have.

I realize it says it uses the move in the description, but I didn't read it. They really should have some kind of icon that denotes that Move is REQUIRED for certain games.

$5 pissed away.[/QUOTE]Why did you decide to buy it?

$5 pissed away.[/QUOTE]

Buy the Move :D

The PSN store is very bad at categorization.
They should look at Xbox Live and put demo and full version in the same profile so it's easier for people to find. Right now I have to look for the demo and the full version separately.

I also agree the lack of "Move Required" in plain sight is also very bad.

Agree about lack of demos, but it's a two-sided coin. Some games I would have bought much sooner if they had a demo, but many games I don't buy because I tried the demo and found out it sucks or is not my cuppa. Although I'm sure Sony and the devs don't want dissatisfied customers (which demos can prevent), they definitely lose sales with demos which aren't free to produce either. Demos seem to only help mediocre games or good games that don't have enough marketing. So its a gamble, but I am curious how MS can mandate it to their suppliers yet sony doesn't.

That said, Shatter is one of the stellar gems in this sale batch, and it has no demo. Shatter is a great breakout genre game.

Speaking of great games with no marketing (it did/does have a demo in the store somewhere), my favorite PSN game is Crash Commando, I bought it two years ago and still play it several times a week. If you can get into it, simply amazing multiplayer 2D action game. [/plug].

I'll never understand how people find the time to play demos. So, to me, they are pretty worthless. I downloaded and played a few the other day - but only because it was part of a "challenge" for Playstation Rewards. I'd rather just look up reviews or go by other CAG recommendations and just buy the damn things. If I'm going to spend even 20-30 minutes playing a game, I want it to be a real one.

And Tumble, yeah - it was featured on the front page of PSN for a long time as a Move title and featured heavily under the Move game section (since it is pretty much the only Move-specific PSN title).

I have a Move and still haven't bought it though. LBP2 pretty much makes all this stuff seem irrelevant ;).

Still, though, my final tally from this sale: Costume Quest, Swords & Soldiers, and Space Invaders Infinity.

And I probably would have bought Soldner-X2: Final Prototype, Tumble, and Hoard if I didn't think each of those had a good chance of being a free PS+ game at some point.

Like I said a while back, there were no duds in this sale: they intentionally picked some of the better PSN games for it so you really couldn't go wrong across the board (at least according to metacritic aggregate scores). So as long as you pick a genre you like, you should be OK.

[quote name='io']Still, though, my final tally from this sale: Costume Quest, Swords & Soldiers, and Space Invaders Infinity.[/QUOTE]
Been pushing my purchase until tonight. My tally will be similar to yours: Costume Quest, Swords & Soldiers and Soldner-X 2.

Soldner-X 2 doesn't come with Last Chapter DLC, does it? Amazon sells Soldner-X 2 for $12.99, the bundle with Last Chapter for $14.99, and the Last Chapter itself for $4.99. PSN sale price is based off $14.99, would it be the bundle?

[quote name='miriamleo']The PSN store is very bad at categorization.
They should look at Xbox Live and put demo and full version in the same profile so it's easier for people to find. Right now I have to look for the demo and the full version separately.

I also agree the lack of "Move Required" in plain sight is also very bad.[/QUOTE]

If the game has a demo in the PSN it is usually on that tab to the right of the screen. It shows related downloads for that title.

Just Comet Crash, Swords & Soldiers and Shatter for me. If any of the other games had online-enabled features, I probably would have bought them too!

[quote name='Gerry P.']Why did you decide to buy it?[/QUOTE]

From the good word of mouth on here and other threads I've read. Somehow, the requirement of the Move was never mentioned in any of the comments I read.

And even if I wanted to buy a move, I can't. My PS3 is no where near my TV, so the camera isn't an option for me.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']Just Comet Crash, Swords & Soldiers and Shatter for me. If any of the other games had online-enabled features, I probably would have bought them too![/QUOTE]

Hoard is online ...

Spent the last 2 days playing through Costume Quest. At the sale price it is a perfect little 5 or 6 hour game. It is super easy, no crazy trophy requirements, has a charming story and cast, and really was a joy.

I'm glad I got it 1/2 off because I probably would have been a little annoyed to spend $15 on a game that was over so quickly - especially when I enjoyed it so much.

Shatter is also an excellent game.

Cant say the same for Space Invaders. That game is a dud.

[quote name='io']I'll never understand how people find the time to play demos. So, to me, they are pretty worthless. I downloaded and played a few the other day - but only because it was part of a "challenge" for Playstation Rewards. I'd rather just look up reviews or go by other CAG recommendations and just buy the damn things. If I'm going to spend even 20-30 minutes playing a game, I want it to be a real one.

And Tumble, yeah - it was featured on the front page of PSN for a long time as a Move title and featured heavily under the Move game section (since it is pretty much the only Move-specific PSN title).

I have a Move and still haven't bought it though. LBP2 pretty much makes all this stuff seem irrelevant ;).

Still, though, my final tally from this sale: Costume Quest, Swords & Soldiers, and Space Invaders Infinity.

And I probably would have bought Soldner-X2: Final Prototype, Tumble, and Hoard if I didn't think each of those had a good chance of being a free PS+ game at some point.

Like I said a while back, there were no duds in this sale: they intentionally picked some of the better PSN games for it so you really couldn't go wrong across the board (at least according to metacritic aggregate scores). So as long as you pick a genre you like, you should be OK.[/QUOTE]
It's really hard to play a demo for five minutes to see if it's a game that I want to play some more or not. A number of them (usually EA/PSP games) offer bonuses to use in the full version if you complete the demo.

Tumble and echochrome ii are the best of the Move PSN games, though Move in LBP won't be any more in-depth than it is in Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves. I don't see how that would compare to a real puzzle game built on Move.

$5 pissed away.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely HATE how they incorporate the PSP store into the PS3 store.

[quote name='Fodder']From the good word of mouth on here and other threads I've read. Somehow, the requirement of the Move was never mentioned in any of the comments I read.

And even if I wanted to buy a move, I can't. My PS3 is no where near my TV, so the camera isn't an option for me.[/QUOTE]

Do you want to buy a 30ft USB extension from me? I have a spare I'm trying to get rid of.

[quote name='Fodder']From the good word of mouth on here and other threads I've read. Somehow, the requirement of the Move was never mentioned in any of the comments I read.

And even if I wanted to buy a move, I can't. My PS3 is no where near my TV, so the camera isn't an option for me.[/QUOTE]

I realize that I could have been more specific in my wording, but I did mention this in the OP:

My personal recommendations: Costume Quest, Peggle (if you don't already have it on another platform), Tumble (if you have a Move controller), and Shatter.

In any event, I'm sorry you had a mixup and I wholeheartedly agree that the layout of the PS Store is far less than ideal. The XBLM definitely has it beaten in terms of consistency and clarity.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Tumble and echochrome ii are the best of the Move PSN games, though Move in LBP won't be any more in-depth than it is in Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves. I don't see how that would compare to a real puzzle game built on Move.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to imply that the Move stuff in LBP 2 would blow everything away. What I actually meant was that all these games (Costume Quest, etc) are irrelevant because all I'm playing now is LBP 2 ;).

In fact, I don't see how Move can be all that successful in LBP2 just because of how few people have it (Move that is). I expect the roll-out of that to be very slow and half-hearted.

[quote name='io']I didn't mean to imply that the Move stuff in LBP 2 would blow everything away. What I actually meant was that all these games (Costume Quest, etc) are irrelevant because all I'm playing now is LBP 2 ;).

In fact, I don't see how Move can be all that successful in LBP2 just because of how few people have it (Move that is). I expect the roll-out of that to be very slow and half-hearted.[/QUOTE]
Both are for/from the European market, so those people will probably do most of the Move content for LBP2 when the Move patch is released.

I haven't seen everything in LBP2, but I don't see any RPGs on the same level as Costume Quest coming anytime soon. The only level I've seen on the same level as stuff on PSN/XBLA was made by a Media Molecule employee (a dual-stick shooter).

Argh, the Interweb is just not the best way to express what I'm trying to say. I'm not making any sort of direct comparison and say that a particular LBP 2 level outdoes what Costume Quest or Swords & Soldiers does. They can't, really. I just meant I'm having so much fun playing LBP2 for LBP2's sake that while this sale was nice, I won't be touching these games any time soon. That is all. You keep reading way too much into it ;).

so, io, you really think lbp2 is as good an rpg as costume quest? and does it really match the rts complexity that S&S has? LOL im just messing with ya.
yeah, lbp2 is fun, we gotta play together sometime ;) Iv been playing a lil with my kids and it sure is hard, haha. Whenever we get down to just one sackboy left i make whoever has it give me the controller so i can make it safely to the next spawn point cuz we hate retrying the levels from the beginning. lol. peace cags!

[quote name='mkernan']I realize that I could have been more specific in my wording, but I did mention this in the OP:

In any event, I'm sorry you had a mixup and I wholeheartedly agree that the layout of the PS Store is far less than ideal. The XBLM definitely has it beaten in terms of consistency and clarity.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm certainly not blaming you or anyone else specifically. I'm not even sure exactly which posts I read. And besides, its no ones job but my own to educate me. I'm just a little miffed that Sony doesn't have a clear icon or color or something indicating that Move is required.

But lesson learned. :)

Has anyone bought the DLC for Costume Quest? If so is it worth it? Finished the game up today and want more. Pretty short game, but lots of fun.

I caved and bought Peggle. I'm confident that will never be a PS+ freebie so I don't think I'll have wasted the money. I would have spent a ton during this sale if not for PS+. Funny how it saves you money in ways you hadn't intended or expected.

[quote name='shrike4242']Fourth'd here.

The one thing I do like much more with XBL versus PSN is this point, that everything on XBL that's an XBLA game has to have a demo.

Why PSN doesn't require demos for all PSN games posted makes no sense to me whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Fifth'd here. LOL. I hadn't been on PSN for a while but decided to jump on these deals. Then I realized how annoying it was how many games don't have demos. Anyways, I decided to pick up Shatter (based on everyone's recommendations here) and Soldner-X2 (good reviews for a SHMUP = good enough for me).

[quote name='ackbar7']Has anyone bought the DLC for Costume Quest? If so is it worth it? Finished the game up today and want more. Pretty short game, but lots of fun.[/QUOTE]

I have, and I think it is. If you want a 4th level (which is perhaps slightly longer than the 3 in the main game) for $5, then its totally worth it.

[quote name='mkernan']I have, and I think it is. If you want a 4th level (which is perhaps slightly longer than the 3 in the main game) for $5, then its totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

If you really think about it, the main game contains 3 levels @ 15 total.. so its 5 bucks a level...

therefore, 5 bucks for an extra level makes mathematical sense

[quote name='DeadlyMan']Need help making a decision before the sale ends...

Peggle or Tumble (yes, I have the Move)?[/QUOTE]

Do you own Peggle on any other platform? If so buy Tumble and even if you don't I would probably buy Tumble since it's a very good Move game.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Do you own Peggle on any other platform? If so buy Tumble and even if you don't I would probably buy Tumble since it's a very good Move game.[/QUOTE]
No, don't own Peggle on another platform. Although I can get it for the Android OS? How long does Tumble last? Does it have replay value?

bread's done
Back