PSN Video store finally here + FREE Charlie's Angels download [CAN]

Cthulhu8u

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
OMG finally on Canada Day! How long since this thing's existed, and now it crawls north. If the price is right, this will save me trips to BBV. Now I can stare at PSN instead and complain how there's nothing to rent :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/18/playstation-video-store-coming-to-canada-on-july-1/

* FREE code for Charlie's Angels SD movie download if you visit the Video Store between July 1-14.

Visit the video service on the PlayStation®Store through a registered PlayStation®Network account before 11:59 PM ET on 7/14/10 and receive a download or stream of Charlie's Angels in Standard Definition at no charge.

Valid in Canada only. One download or stream per registered PlayStation®Network account. Free PlayStation®Network user account required and user responsible for Internet fees. Eligible visitors will receive a unique code via their registered email account which is redeemable on the PlayStation®Store for Charlie's Angels in SD. Email containing the code will be delivered within 10 business days of a qualifying visit. Code expires on September 30, 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']This is a good service, except a lot of people are on a bandwidth cap (like myself) So if it comes down to paying $5 for an HD movie rental for 90min of entertainment, or download 5 free game demos using the same bandwidth, I will choose the latter.

Tight ass internet companies will be the reason why Blockbuster and Rogers Video are still in business. Hell, that's probably the reason Rogers puts a cap on their internet and now charges $50 for overflow because they don't want to see their rental stores fall flat on their ass![/QUOTE]

Thank you! I hate Rogers how dare they change the name of the Skydome.

This is also why even if Zip.ca made a service such as what the Americans have i.e. Netflix it would be rendered useless thanks to Rogers and Bell.

Also does anybody know about this so called free Charlie's Angel movie that is advertised as free for the PSN Video Store. I can't find the movie for free at all.

Either way in the end I don't care about the video service. I have a subscription to zip.ca and generally the movies arrive the next day once they are mailed out so its good. However, I would love to have a streaming service like Netflix and no bandwith caps (and yes I know about Techsavy or whatever it is called).

[quote name='PuppetDoctor']Also does anybody know about this so called free Charlie's Angel movie that is advertised as free for the PSN Video Store. I can't find the movie for free at all. [/QUOTE]

I received an email with details. It looks like you just log on the PSN video store between July 1- 14 and they will send you and email code to download the movie. It could take up to 10 days to get the code, and it expires Sept. 30, 2010.
I still haven't gotten a code yet. And the video is in SD.

Visit the video service on the PlayStation®Store through a registered PlayStation®Network account before 11:59 PM ET on 7/14/10 and receive a download or stream of Charlie's Angels in Standard Definition at no charge.

Valid in Canada only. One download or stream per registered PlayStation®Network account. Free PlayStation®Network user account required and user responsible for Internet fees. Eligible visitors will receive a unique code via their registered email account which is redeemable on the PlayStation®Store for Charlie's Angels in SD. Email containing the code will be delivered within 10 business days of a qualifying visit. Code expires on September 30, 2010.

So I just checked out the video service. Does it take time to get the email because I haven't gotten it yet.

It's a decent service that offers renting, buying and SD and HD. Nothing mind blowing but I wasn't expecting that because of how poorly our laws are when it comes to foreign companies coming in and being able to actually compete on an even level with the monopolies.

I was just logged in to the PS Store on my PSPgo. And on one of the "frames" that show different PS Store products, there was a message saying thanks for visiting the Store! Your voucher will be emailed after July 14.... something like that.

I've been with Teksavvy for 2 years now and the internet has been very smooth so far. Their monthly cap is very high at around 200 GB, I rarely touch the 100 GB mark. The initial cost of teksavvy is high with the activation fee and purchase of a modem but after a year, you save more money than if you were to stick with Rogers or Bell contract.

Do the math and see for yourself, Bell and Rogers will give you something cheap for the first 6 to 12 months, then will jack up to the regular price.

[quote name='Mana Thirst']I've been with Teksavvy for 2 years now and the internet has been very smooth so far. Their monthly cap is very high at around 200 GB, I rarely touch the 100 GB mark. The initial cost of teksavvy is high with the activation fee and purchase of a modem but after a year, you save more money than if you were to stick with Rogers or Bell contract.

Do the math and see for yourself, Bell and Rogers will give you something cheap for the first 6 to 12 months, then will jack up to the regular price.[/QUOTE]

Rogers just informed my parents that they're increasing their rates because they were 'getting a discount they shouldn't have", so they're thinking about switching their internet over to Teksavvy. It's a shame there's no great alternatives for TV in the GTA.

That Teksavvy does sound appealing but I think I may be grandfathered into an unlimited plan with Bellnet and I'd hate to give that up. The problem is I have no clue what my current plan is. I had a 3 yr unlimited contract that recently ran out but I received no contact from them at that point and the bills kept coming so who knows. I'm afraid to call and ask for fear that they'll make me switch. I suppose I'll just assume it's unlimited til I hear otherwise.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Rogers just informed my parents that they're increasing their rates because they were 'getting a discount they shouldn't have", so they're thinking about switching their internet over to Teksavvy. It's a shame there's no great alternatives for TV in the GTA.[/QUOTE]

My family also got a similar letter from Rogers, but it was about our cable package. After nearly 10 years of having the same package at around the same rate they've noticed we were apparently subscribed to a package we weren't getting charged for (package contains about 20 channels). It took them nearly 10 years to figure this out. Then they have the gull to increase our rates. Ugh.

Only 'cause I know everyone's been waiting with bated breath, :) but I got my code recently. The file is about 1.6gb, SD quality, and it is owned (not rented).

I wish I had tried to use the code through the PSP instead, just to see if it worked. It might also have been more useful considering the low resolution.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Yeah I got my code on Thursday. Not too impressed with the SD quality. I rented one movie in HD and the quality was great 99.9% of the time.[/QUOTE]
How big was the DL? HD is just too big to DL for me, but I DL/UL a LOT of content. Enough so I often go over my 100 GB limit.

I've rented 2 HD movies, they were both ~5.6 gigs. Quality is good, but I don't think SD looks that terrible. It doesn't have the same detail and pop as HD tho.

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']How big was the DL? HD is just too big to DL for me, but I DL/UL a LOT of content. Enough so I often go over my 100 GB limit.[/QUOTE]

The Charlie Angles movie is about 1.5GB which is why I have not bothered downloading it. Apparently SD movies are generally 1.5GB big and HD are 3GB big.

I haven't got my Charlie's Angels code yet. PS Store has always been really dodgy with me... even though I got confirmations when visiting the store through my PSP, I suspect I won't be getting it...

Recently I got an email from PSN about a change in the TOS or something, and the email was entirely in french. I've never selected french ever as my language, other than being "from Canada", can't figure out why they would assume I speak french. Did every Canadian PSN member get the french email?

Sometimes in emails they overcapitalize my name, like they hit the CAPS LOCK button for a few letters.... again, very odd. Do they seriously manually type out my name for every email they send?

These are just a few examples of the clunky experience I've found dealing with the PSN & PS Store.

[quote name='Placebo']The video game gods are suggesting you switch to the 360.[/QUOTE]

And yet there's that red-ringed demon that suggests otherwise.... :D

I value reliability in my gadgets, if the 360 Slim proves to be dependable, I'd probably go for it.

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']How big was the DL? HD is just too big to DL for me, but I DL/UL a LOT of content. Enough so I often go over my 100 GB limit.[/QUOTE]
I rented Green Zone, I believe it was between 5.5-6GB. Download completed in under 3 hours.

[quote name='game_fanatic']How much does it cost to rent the HD movies, Cth? It might be a viable alternative to renting BR's at BBV (maybe heh)[/QUOTE]
New releases are $5.99 (except for Bounty Hunter which for some insane reason is $6.99) and then older ones can be $4.99 sometimes. Costs me $6 to rent a BD at the corner place and 2 for $10 + tax at Rogers. Problem with downloading is no bonus material, but I've noticed a trend when renting from Rogers where they will have the "Rental Exclusive" version of the disc which turns out to be the movie with all bonus material stripped out. If this continues, that'll be one less reason to rent from the store.

[quote name='1_blue_pixel']And yet there's that red-ringed demon that suggests otherwise.... :D

I value reliability in my gadgets, if the 360 Slim proves to be dependable, I'd probably go for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and the PS3 older models (namely the PS2 B/C models) have the lovely Yellow Light of Death (YYLOD) which has happened to two of my friends. My other friend had a 1 RROD on his 360 and my launch day Wii bricked on me a month after I bought it (Nintendo has excellent customer service though I must say).

Point being all consoles this generation have issues and none of them are perfect.

just got the code in my email will check it out later...would be nice tired of paying $16 to rent 3 movies for a week might use this or zip.ca to save some money.

[quote name='PuppetDoctor']Yeah, and the PS3 older models (namely the PS2 B/C models) have the lovely Yellow Light of Death (YYLOD) which has happened to two of my friends. My other friend had a 1 RROD on his 360 and my launch day Wii bricked on me a month after I bought it (Nintendo has excellent customer service though I must say).

Point being all consoles this generation have issues and none of them are perfect.[/QUOTE]

Point being moot since I don't have a PS3 either :)

But I do have a Wii, which has been reliable since I bought it in 2007. It's a circular & endless debate over which console is better but it's also undeniable how often & frequent that 360 RRoD comes up.... everywhere-- like in the CAG blogs. I can't even count the number of times I've read the line, "I'm on my 4th 360 and..." while some of those people are fine with that, I personally wouldn't be.

I never said I expected "perfect", I said I value "reliability". Short of buying a console, track record goes a long way toward determining that.

[quote name='Fuzzy']I got my code for Charlie's Angels but I'm not going to download it.[/QUOTE]

I think it expires in September, so you should try to sell or trade it now.

Really, the rentals are pricey considering you just save on convenience. It costs as much as BBV plus bandwidth. I've used it twice but I'm thinking it's not that awesome. I hope BBV grows a brain and does something to win customers back, like drop prices. If not I see myself being pushed into renting more from PSN.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I've rented 2 HD movies, they were both ~5.6 gigs. Quality is good, but I don't think SD looks that terrible. It doesn't have the same detail and pop as HD tho.[/QUOTE]
In just the first couple minutes of Charlie's Angels (SD) you can see tons of macroblocking compression artifacts all over the plane walls. It's very poor quality in my opinion, I'd never rent SD from them. They really left a bad impression with their free giveaway movie, not a smart move.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']In just the first couple minutes of Charlie's Angels (SD) you can see tons of macroblocking compression artifacts all over the plane walls. It's very poor quality in my opinion, I'd never rent SD from them. They really left a bad impression with their free giveaway movie, not a smart move.[/QUOTE]

it is pretty awful >_<
kinda reminded me of the artifacts on PSX fmv's.

Man, nothing but popcorn films as expected. Well, I might rent something someday. I don't want to actually own a film that would hog up my HD.

[quote name='1_blue_pixel']Maybe Sony's getting in the popcorn business? PlayStation Network Popcorn, anyone? :)[/QUOTE]

It would taste like the bitter tears of Xbox fanboys.

"Popcorn film" is a term for a film that doesn't require much in the way of thinking or logic and is just something that is fun to watch while eating popcorn. 85% of the films available are just that...or "chick flicks". Stuff I don't really want to see right now.

Hopefully they will stock the store with more classics from the 1920-1980 era going forward.

bread's done
Back