PSN Weekly Deals - 11/13: Game Show & Persona Sale! 11/19: PS+ on Vita Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Welcome to the best thread for all of the deals on games, add-ons, and other stuff in the PlayStation Store both on and off of PSN.

Index
Current Deals
Upcoming Deals & PlayStation Plus Schedule
Bundles & Vita Discounts
Persistent PlayStation Plus Deals
Alternate Deals
Frequently Asked Questions

Current Deals (Full Update Here) - Store Usually Updates Every Tuesday Between 2-6 EST

Key: * - New This Week, * - Expires With Next Update, * - Permanent Price Drop

Bundles
Game Show Party Bundle - $9.99 - Includes Family Feud, Press Your Luck, and The Price is Right *

PS3
Catherine - $19.99
Choplifter HD - $2.99 *
Dragon's Lair - $4.99 *
Family Feud - $4.99 *
Family Feud Decades - $4.99 *
Hollywood Squares - $4.99 *
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - $59.99 - Pre-order w/Exclusive Theme & Pre-order Costumes - Out 11/20 *
Press Your Luck - $4.99 *
The Price is Right - $4.99 *
The Price is Right Decades - $4.99 *
Ricochet HD - $2.49
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: FES - $4.99
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - $4.99 *

Add-ons
007 Legends - 007 Pack - Free *
007 Legends - Nemesis Pack - Free *
007 Legends - Stealth Pack - Free *
DJ Hero - Hard Edge Mix Pack - $2.99
Guitar Hero III - Guitar Virtuoso Track Pack - $3.13
Guitar Hero 5 - Lynyrd Skynyrd Pack - $2.75
Guitar Hero World Tour - Hendrix Track Pack - $2.75
Guitar Hero World Tour - Hendrix Track Pack 2 - $2.75
Mugen Souls - Jiggly Transmission and Equipment Pack 7 - Free *
Mugen Souls - Jiggly Transmission and Equipment Pack 8 - Free *
Rock Band - Various Add-ons (Link for full list) - $0.99 to $9.99
Sniper Elite V2 - Multiplayer Expansion - Free *

PSP
The Red Star - $4.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona - $9.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 2: Innocent Sin - $14.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 Portable - $9.99

Vita
Frobisher Says! - Free
Treasures Of Montezuma Blitz - Free - 152 MB

Vita Add-ons
Street Fighter X Tekken - Special Color Palette 2 - Free - Cross Buy *
Street Fighter X Tekken - Special Color Palette 3 - Free - Cross Buy *

Music
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Soundtrack - $5.99 **

PlayStation Plus

PS3 Deals
Absolute Supercars - $7.99 - 20% Off *
Choplifter HD - $2.69 **
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds Complete Collection - $19.99 - 20% Off
Machinarium - $6.99 - 30% Off *
Super Stacker Party - $0.89 - 10% Off **

Free Games (Don't Argue About This, Please)
BloodRayne: Betrayal - 961 MB
Double Dragon Neon - 1.9 GB
Infamous 2 - 15 GB
The King of Fighters XIII - 2.2 GB
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 4.8 GB
LittleBigPlanet Sackboys' Prehistoric Moves - Requires Move - Location: PS3 Games > By Genre > PlayStation Move Games
Outland - 1.2 GB
PayDay: The Heist - 2.2 GB
Quantum Conundrum - 1.6 GB *
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - 14 GB
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition - 7538 MB
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 176 MB

Themes
Abstract Art - Dynamic
Assassin's Creed Revelations - Dynamic
Cuckoo - Dynamic
Daytona USA
Double Dragon Neon - Dynamic
Dragon - Dynamic
Hell Yeah! - Dynamic
The House of the Dead III - Dynamic
The House of the Dead 4 - Dynamic
I Am Alive - Dynamic
inFamous: Festival of Blood - Dynamic
Jet Set Radio - Dynamic
Leap Year - Dynamic
Mexican Skulls - Dynamic
PlayStation Plus - Dynamic
Robot - Dynamic
Samurai - Dynamic
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 - Dynamic
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Dynamic
Tales from Space: About a Blob
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown - Dynamic

Armageddon Riders (3)
Cool Cat
Daytona USA (5)
Dead Cloud
Double Dragon Neon (7)
Fat Princess (2)
Green Hamster
Hell Yeah! (4)
The House of the Dead III (3)
The House of the Dead 4 (3)
Jet Set Radio (6)
LittleBigPlanet (2)
Mutant Skull
Pink Hamster
PlayStation B-boy (3)
Resident Evil 5
Section 8: Prejudice Bundle
Squirrel
Stick Up Kid
Street Fighter X Tekken
Street Fighter 2
Tank Commander
Top Dawg
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (20)
Warriors Orochi 3

I'll be filling this thread out a bit more as we go and I'll answer questions whenever I can. Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the PSPGo play PSone classic games? or will they just be able to play on PS3?

I'm thinking of getting at least FFVII so I can use it on my PSPGo.

///edit///
Nevermind, read the description. It'll work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up Final Fantasy IX. I only played it through once. It's so great.

Regarding the slowdown on the psp war of the lions: it is annoying, but you get used to it. It's still far and away better than the PSone version, especially with the translation improvements. Some classes are just flat out broken in the original too and get fixed.

The iOS version of War of the Lions might be the definitive version since it has the War of the Lions updates without slowdown issues.

[quote name='sasukekun']Will the PSPGo play PSone classic games? or will they just be able to play on PS3?

I'm thinking of getting at least FFVII so I can use it on my PSPGo.[/QUOTE]

PSone games play fine on the PSPgo

[quote name='wtsutton']Not to mention I would take a few framerate hiccups in exchange for a translation that is a zillion times better. I loved Tactics when it came out on the PS1 but the broken engrish (yea...typed that on purpose) was horrid. The dialogue on the PSP version is out of this world, crazy good.[/QUOTE]

Not really trying to start an argument....but:

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA :applause:

No.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The "ye-olde-english" translation update in the PSP version is awful, cheesy, and borderline painful to read. It changes the tone of all dialogue from politically charged drama to cringe-worthy, Ren-Faire levels of foofyness. I had to put the game down after the first ~4-5 missions, just couldn't stomach it.

I liken it to the 'improved translation' of the film 'Akira' from ~2000, over the original Streamline Pictures dub from the 80's. It just....feels wrong.

My nostalgia goggles ARE firmly attached, btw, so take that as you will. :cool:

The framerate hits during special attacks are also pretty bad in FFT:WotL IMO. Visually, its just an eye-sore when everything slows down to a crawl for a few second EVERY 10-15 seconds. Regardless of how one perceives it's effect on the gamePLAY, it causes the game to become an incredibly annoying chore to simply PLAY.

ALL of this is coming from someone who sunk 100+ hours into FFTactics on the PS1 back in the day. Maybe someone playing it for the first time won't notice these issues, maybe they will, IDK.

/end Rant

Here are the deals for this week (Full Update Here):

PS3
Resident Evil HD Bundle - $29.99

Minis
Coconut Dodge - $0.99 - Permanent Price Drop

PS1 Classics
Final Fantasy Origins - $6.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy Tactics - $6.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy V - $6.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy VI - $6.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy VII - $6.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy VIII - $6.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy IX - $6.99 - Ends 3/27

PSP
Dissidia Final Fantasy - $13.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions - $6.99 - Ends 3/27
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection - $20.99 - Ends 3/27

Add-ons
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - A-10A Warthog - $1.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Aircraft Skin Pack 1 - $5.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Aircraft Skin Pack 2 - $4.49
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Aircraft Skin Pack The Idolm@Ster - $4.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Asf-X Shinden II - $3.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - F-117A Stars And Stripes - $1.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - F-14D Halloween Pumpkin - $1.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - F-15S/Mtd - $2.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - F-18F Red Devils - $1.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Online Map Pack - $7.49
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Skill Set 1 - $3.49
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Skill Set 2 - $3.49
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Skill Set 3 - $3.49
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Su-35 Tekken Skin Set - $2.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Su-37 Terminator - $2.99
Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Tornado Gr.4 - $2.99

PlayStation Plus

PS3
Rayman 3 HD - $7.99

PS1 Classics
Final Fantasy V - $4.89
Final Fantasy VI - $4.89
Final Fantasy VII - $4.89
Final Fantasy VIII - $4.89
Final Fantasy IX - $4.89
Final Fantasy Origins - $4.89
Final Fantasy Tactics - $4.89

PSP
Dissidia Final Fantasy - $9.79
Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection - $14.69
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions - $4.89

Themes
Journey - Dynamic

Will probably end up picking up FF VI through IX.

Now I just have to wait till the Vita can play PS1 games to enjoy these games on the go. :cry:

I'm thinking of grabbing all of the PS1 final fantasy games despite never really playing a turn based rpg outside of pokemon as a kid. Does this sound like a wise decision? Is it pretty ok for newcomers? Or wil I just get frustrated?

Dear Sony,
This is how you run a sale. I will give you $45 and I will be signing up for PSN+ for another $15.
Fondly, AoA

P.S. I've never been so proud of you.

Getting FF4,5,6,7,8,9 and FFT:WotL

[quote name='mpaullin']I'm thinking of grabbing all of the PS1 final fantasy games despite never really playing a turn based rpg outside of pokemon as a kid. Does this sound like a wise decision? Is it pretty ok for newcomers? Or wil I just get frustrated?[/QUOTE]

The FF games usually feature the occasional tough boss fight, but other than that, they're pretty easy to get into. I'd suggest playing FFIX first, as that's the most traditional, while FF8 features some rather unusual game systems. If you're including the older game ports, I'd avoid FF1 and FF2 until you've played the others, as they're a whole lot more difficult and unforgiving.

[quote name='carl7117']wth i just got final fantasy tactics last night at 2:00 am for 10 and its on sale today?>:eek: wth[/QUOTE]
You should've checked this thread. It's been known since last week that this sale was happening.

[quote name='carl7117']wth i just got final fantasy tactics last night at 2:00 am for 10 and its on sale today?>:eek: wth[/QUOTE]
This sale has been discussed for about a week, at least here on CAG.

For the Final Fantasy games, I'm wondering about the numbering. I think at one point some were released in Japan and not in the US, then were eventually released on other systems (GBA, DS, etc.) Does anyone know which of these PS1 games have been available on other systems so I don't re-buy them?

[quote name='gravel']This sale has been discussed for about a week, at least here on CAG.

For the Final Fantasy games, I'm wondering about the numbering. I think at one point some were released in Japan and not in the US, then were eventually released on other systems (GBA, DS, etc.) Does anyone know which of these PS1 games have been available on other systems so I don't re-buy them?[/QUOTE]

IV and VI were originally available on SNES numbered as Final Fantasy II and III respectively.

[quote name='gravel']This sale has been discussed for about a week, at least here on CAG.

For the Final Fantasy games, I'm wondering about the numbering. I think at one point some were released in Japan and not in the US, then were eventually released on other systems (GBA, DS, etc.) Does anyone know which of these PS1 games have been available on other systems so I don't re-buy them?[/QUOTE]

So, here is the original US launch lineup of Final Fantasy games.....

Final Fantasy 1 (JP Final Fantasy I)
Final Fantasy 2 (JP Final Fantasy IV)
Final Fantasy 3 (JP Final Fantasy VI)
Final Fantasy 7 - 13 (The US received the same enumeration)

We did get the JP versions of Final Fantasy 2 and 3 in the US here in various forms, but 3 is not available in any form on the PSP. This can only be found on the DS. Final Fantasy 1 & 2 can be found as remakes in UMD form for the PSP, or the PS1 versions on Final Fantasy Origins.

Oh, and let us all hang our heads about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest...... they don't even admit that one in Japan. The Final Fantasy games on the original Game Boy weren't even actual Final Fantasy games in Japan I believe.

[quote name='Graff^']IV and VI were originally available on SNES numbered as Final Fantasy II and III respectively.[/QUOTE]
Btw, for those wondering about Final Fantasy VI...

Wii Virtual Consoles has it for $8 (gah!!!) under Final Fantasy III and it doesn't have the load problems of the PSN versions. It's not by much though... just 4 seconds loading between battles, but it is kind of noticeable (same deal with PSN version of Chrono Trigger). The PSN version though has an FMV opening cut scene.

I picked up FF5 a month ago when it was free for PS+ and now it won't let me purchase the game. It only wants to let me download it again with plus and not buy it. Is there any way around this?

Great sale and thanks for the heads up on the pricing. Using the free $10 Best Buy gift card promo with AMEX, i picked up a 3 month PS+ subscription for $7.99.

I then purchased:
FFIV: complete
FFVII
FFIX
Motorstrom RC Pro-Am expansion pack

All for $25.97. Worth it right there for PS+ and still got 3 more months!

Sorry if this has been answered, but if I get any of the PS1 games, like FF5/6/7, will I be able to play them on my PSP? Or just on the PS3 only?

Thank you

[quote name='CAG90210']Sorry if this has been answered, but if I get any of the PS1 games, like FF5/6/7, will I be able to play them on my PSP? Or just on the PS3 only?

Thank you[/QUOTE]
You should read the OP.

"PS1 Classics - Playable on PS3 and PSP"

If you're buying a game 2+ years after release, then you don't get to complain about a sale after you buy it. You should have waited longer.

[quote name='JVorhees#1']I picked up FF5 a month ago when it was free for PS+ and now it won't let me purchase the game. It only wants to let me download it again with plus and not buy it. Is there any way around this?[/QUOTE]
Sme here.

Dammit!

[quote name='JVorhees#1']I picked up FF5 a month ago when it was free for PS+ and now it won't let me purchase the game. It only wants to let me download it again with plus and not buy it. Is there any way around this?[/QUOTE]

Outside of making another PSN account, I don't believe so.

No, you would need to make a new account but then you wouldn't get the PS+ discount.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Oh, and let us all hang our heads about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest...... they don't even admit that one in Japan.[/QUOTE]

Sure they do! It's called "Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest" over there. I own a copy.

According to the PS+ forums, the only way around this is to wait for the item you previously downloaded "free" to be removed from the PS+ channel.

Then you can look for it manually in the PSN store, and it will now give you the option of either downloading it free again, or buying it for the current price.

In other words, you'd have to wait for the sale to be over for this to happen, and you won't get it at the Sale Price :cry:

I tried it and it doesn't always work. I downloaded both Syphon Filther 1 and 2, and it's only giving me the option on 1.

wanting to get FFIV: CC, thinking if i should just pay for the ps + or just buy it for 20.99. not sure how much i would get out of the PS + thing, i didnt really use it when it was free from that trial they gave out.
wish it was just 19.99, so i could use a $20 gift card at the store and get a PSN card to use that... -_-

This has FFIV The After Years too while the DS version is just a updated port of IV. Also I was mildly annoyed by the 3D character graphics which this doesn't use.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Oh, and let us all hang our heads about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest...... they don't even admit that one in Japan. The Final Fantasy games on the original Game Boy weren't even actual Final Fantasy games in Japan I believe.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Final Fantasy Adventure made up for it.

As to totally derail the FF talk, the Rayman 3 HD demo played really nice and I'm going to pick it up after I get a PSN card to take advantage of the 20% discount.

I'm probably the only one who cares, but the camera controls do have the option to split up Horizontal and Vertical inversion separately, which was my biggest gripe about the previous Ubisoft HD upscale, Beyond Good & Evil. (Ironically, the vertical inversion controls in the game are labeled incorrectly. If you want up to move the camera up, you need to select inverted haha)

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find the answer or the thread. Now that I've rejoined PS+ (and saved $4 on my total massive FF purchase), I can download all those free games.

so the Q's..I don't think the hour long demos give trophies, right? (unless you buy the whole game, then yes)
Do free games (like the individual Sega Genesis games) give you trophies ?

[quote name='AoA']I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find the answer or the thread. Now that I've rejoined PS+ (and saved $4 on my total massive FF purchase), I can download all those free games.

so the Q's..I don't think the hour long demos give trophies, right? (unless you buy the whole game, then yes)
Do free games (like the individual Sega Genesis games) give you trophies ?[/QUOTE]
You can earn trophies on Full Game Trials, but they're locked until you buy the game.

All of the free games behave as they would normally.

[quote name='AoA']I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find the answer or the thread. Now that I've rejoined PS+ (and saved $4 on my total massive FF purchase), I can download all those free games.

Do free games (like the individual Sega Genesis games) give you trophies ?[/QUOTE]

Yes! I'm not a trophy person, but I LOL'ed when I got the 'Psycho' trophy in Streets of Rage!!!! :lol: I've played that so much! Online co op, too! Be sure to do custom and give 8 lives! SOOOOO FUNNNNN!!!!!! Gotten a number of trophies on there.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']According to the PS+ forums, the only way around this is to wait for the item you previously downloaded "free" to be removed from the PS+ channel.

Then you can look for it manually in the PSN store, and it will now give you the option of either downloading it free again, or buying it for the current price.

In other words, you'd have to wait for the sale to be over for this to happen, and you won't get it at the Sale Price :cry:

I tried it and it doesn't always work. I downloaded both Syphon Filther 1 and 2, and it's only giving me the option on 1.[/QUOTE]
EDIT ===

This information is actually not entirely true.

Even when I tried "purchasing" the free Syphon Filther, it's still just asking me to download it.

Gah!

I really wanted to "own" Final Fantasy V as well.

Sony should really give PS+ member an "Option" to either purchase it or download it.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']EDIT ===

This information is actually not entirely true.

Even when I tried "purchasing" the free Syphon Filther, it's still just asking me to download it.

Gah!

I really wanted to "own" Final Fantasy V as well.

Sony should really give PS+ member an "Option" to either purchase it or download it.[/QUOTE]

Hammer that into their phones, blog lists, twitter, and emails until they listen!

Would it be worth it to get the PS1 FF games right now in hopes that the Vita will support it soon? This is my first PS device so I'm not too sure how often PSN runs these sales.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Would it be worth it to get the PS1 FF games right now in hopes that the Vita will support it soon? This is my first PS device so I'm not too sure how often PSN runs these sales.[/QUOTE]
This is the first time that most of these have been on sale, so might as well jump on them if you're interested. Sony's at least committed to getting PS1 titles working on the Vita, so it's just a matter of how long they take to get it done.

Origins worth it? Seems like its the least promoted one and I never had a PS 1 so I just snagged 4-9 as well as Tactics. I imagine that should keep me occupied, but don't know if the first two games are solid pickups while they are on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back