PSN Weekly Deals - 11/13: Game Show & Persona Sale! 11/19: PS+ on Vita Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Welcome to the best thread for all of the deals on games, add-ons, and other stuff in the PlayStation Store both on and off of PSN.

Index
Current Deals
Upcoming Deals & PlayStation Plus Schedule
Bundles & Vita Discounts
Persistent PlayStation Plus Deals
Alternate Deals
Frequently Asked Questions

Current Deals (Full Update Here) - Store Usually Updates Every Tuesday Between 2-6 EST

Key: * - New This Week, * - Expires With Next Update, * - Permanent Price Drop

Bundles
Game Show Party Bundle - $9.99 - Includes Family Feud, Press Your Luck, and The Price is Right *

PS3
Catherine - $19.99
Choplifter HD - $2.99 *
Dragon's Lair - $4.99 *
Family Feud - $4.99 *
Family Feud Decades - $4.99 *
Hollywood Squares - $4.99 *
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - $59.99 - Pre-order w/Exclusive Theme & Pre-order Costumes - Out 11/20 *
Press Your Luck - $4.99 *
The Price is Right - $4.99 *
The Price is Right Decades - $4.99 *
Ricochet HD - $2.49
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: FES - $4.99
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - $4.99 *

Add-ons
007 Legends - 007 Pack - Free *
007 Legends - Nemesis Pack - Free *
007 Legends - Stealth Pack - Free *
DJ Hero - Hard Edge Mix Pack - $2.99
Guitar Hero III - Guitar Virtuoso Track Pack - $3.13
Guitar Hero 5 - Lynyrd Skynyrd Pack - $2.75
Guitar Hero World Tour - Hendrix Track Pack - $2.75
Guitar Hero World Tour - Hendrix Track Pack 2 - $2.75
Mugen Souls - Jiggly Transmission and Equipment Pack 7 - Free *
Mugen Souls - Jiggly Transmission and Equipment Pack 8 - Free *
Rock Band - Various Add-ons (Link for full list) - $0.99 to $9.99
Sniper Elite V2 - Multiplayer Expansion - Free *

PSP
The Red Star - $4.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona - $9.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 2: Innocent Sin - $14.99
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 Portable - $9.99

Vita
Frobisher Says! - Free
Treasures Of Montezuma Blitz - Free - 152 MB

Vita Add-ons
Street Fighter X Tekken - Special Color Palette 2 - Free - Cross Buy *
Street Fighter X Tekken - Special Color Palette 3 - Free - Cross Buy *

Music
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Soundtrack - $5.99 **

PlayStation Plus

PS3 Deals
Absolute Supercars - $7.99 - 20% Off *
Choplifter HD - $2.69 **
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds Complete Collection - $19.99 - 20% Off
Machinarium - $6.99 - 30% Off *
Super Stacker Party - $0.89 - 10% Off **

Free Games (Don't Argue About This, Please)
BloodRayne: Betrayal - 961 MB
Double Dragon Neon - 1.9 GB
Infamous 2 - 15 GB
The King of Fighters XIII - 2.2 GB
LittleBigPlanet 2 - 4.8 GB
LittleBigPlanet Sackboys' Prehistoric Moves - Requires Move - Location: PS3 Games > By Genre > PlayStation Move Games
Outland - 1.2 GB
PayDay: The Heist - 2.2 GB
Quantum Conundrum - 1.6 GB *
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - 14 GB
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition - 7538 MB
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 176 MB

Themes
Abstract Art - Dynamic
Assassin's Creed Revelations - Dynamic
Cuckoo - Dynamic
Daytona USA
Double Dragon Neon - Dynamic
Dragon - Dynamic
Hell Yeah! - Dynamic
The House of the Dead III - Dynamic
The House of the Dead 4 - Dynamic
I Am Alive - Dynamic
inFamous: Festival of Blood - Dynamic
Jet Set Radio - Dynamic
Leap Year - Dynamic
Mexican Skulls - Dynamic
PlayStation Plus - Dynamic
Robot - Dynamic
Samurai - Dynamic
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 - Dynamic
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - Dynamic
Tales from Space: About a Blob
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown - Dynamic

Armageddon Riders (3)
Cool Cat
Daytona USA (5)
Dead Cloud
Double Dragon Neon (7)
Fat Princess (2)
Green Hamster
Hell Yeah! (4)
The House of the Dead III (3)
The House of the Dead 4 (3)
Jet Set Radio (6)
LittleBigPlanet (2)
Mutant Skull
Pink Hamster
PlayStation B-boy (3)
Resident Evil 5
Section 8: Prejudice Bundle
Squirrel
Stick Up Kid
Street Fighter X Tekken
Street Fighter 2
Tank Commander
Top Dawg
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (20)
Warriors Orochi 3

I'll be filling this thread out a bit more as we go and I'll answer questions whenever I can. Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would skip the first two. i prefered dragon warrior more during that time anyway ;)

but yeah got tactics and ff7. almost got ff6 but remembered i have a gamecube/ff6 gba version so i could just use that someday... idk... i might still grab it. such a great game!

nice! getting final fantasy VII finally! the $9.99 price has been there since forever! buying the game at $4.89 is a no brainer!! woohoo! thanks op!

[quote name='Dranakin']Is WotL worth picking up, or should I just put the cost towards Tactics Ogre? I only plan on getting one of these.[/QUOTE]

I think WotL is the better choice. Both are solid, but youre talking about two different price ranges. For the money, I don't think you can do better than WotL. It has some great art and awesome battle system and even some good replay value if you want to unlock everything (Balthier is a hidden character).

[quote name='WormFOODx']
Oh, and let us all hang our heads about Final Fantasy Mystic Quest...... they don't even admit that one in Japan. The Final Fantasy games on the original Game Boy weren't even actual Final Fantasy games in Japan I believe.[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was released in Japan on the Super Famicom as Final Fantasy USA Mystic Quest.

The Final Fantasy Legend games were the first games in the SaGa series.

Final Fantasy Adventure was the first game in the Seiken Densetsu series. Seiken Densetsu 2 was released in America as The Secret of Mana on the SNES. The GBA remake of the original was retitled Sword of Mana.

^I liked IV and VI. I have finished the Gameboy Advance versions of I, II, IV, V, and VI.
I have yet to really start VII, which I downloaded a long time ago off of the PSN.

Final Fantasy III on the DS is the only one I have yet to even begin.

Loaded up on some FF games to play on my Vita. FF IV Complete and FFT:WotL (yeah i know about the slowdown during spell casting, bummer but it doesn't look that bad in videos)

Also picked up FF 7, 8 and 9 for when PSOne support is added to the Vita. 9 in particular should look fantastic on the Vita!

[quote name='Jackovasaurus']What's the FF that everyone raves about before 7? I wanna get that one.[/QUOTE]

The one everyone raves about is PROBABLY VI, but the PSOne version has load times that you may find kind of annoying. Amazing game, but the SNES version is still the ultimate version, IMO. The GBA version has some nice changes, but the sound and music is crap in comparison.

If you have a PSP or Vita, the FF IV Complete Collection is really good, and looks GREAT on the Vita screen.

If you like the jobs system from FF Tactics or the Ogre games, you will like FF V. But again, it's the PSOne version designed to be played off the slow PSOne CD reader, so be aware of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it has been said that the FF games from PsOne have bad load times for each battle and other things. I still see a lot of people buying them here. Are you all not of the load times and it doesnt bother you? Did they fix the load times maybe? I am curious since I really want to get FF6 as it is the game that made me an RPG fan for the 16 bit era. But I cant take the load times if it deos it between each battle.

[quote name='wrencrest']I know it has been said that the FF games from PsOne have bad load times for each battle and other things. I still see a lot of people buying them here. Are you all not of the load times and it doesnt bother you? Did they fix the load times maybe? I am curious since I really want to get FF6 as it is the game that made me an RPG fan for the 16 bit era. But I cant take the load times if it deos it between each battle.[/QUOTE]
Nope. Still the same load times for FFV and FFVI which is about 5-6 seconds of black screen per battle, and about 3 seconds just to enter the menu screen.

Chrono Trigger for PSOne is the same.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Nope. Still the same load times for FFV and FFVI which is about 5-6 seconds of black screen per battle, and about 3 seconds just to enter the menu screen.

Chrono Trigger for PSOne is the same.[/QUOTE]
Thats what I thought. Horrible. Even at less than $5 for each with plus, I cant justify it. I cant stand waiting for a load time every 5 seconds. Awful.

Is there a way to buy a game on playstation.com like xbox.com? Or is there a way for someone to buy me the game and gift it to me? My PS3 is currently not working.

[quote name='Barry Burton']final fantasy 4 can only be played on psp?

the other ones say they are psone games[/QUOTE]
It's a PSP game, so you can't play it on the PS3.

Sorry, I'm not sure I get it - I can access the Playstation Store directly on my PC with Media Go? It seems to imply that you need a PSP or other mobile device.

If I can access it, can I just click "Download" and it's automatically tied to my account like the free PS+ games, or do I actually need to download it now?

[quote name='whitereflection']Sorry, I'm not sure I get it - I can access the Playstation Store directly on my PC with Media Go? It seems to imply that you need a PSP or other mobile device.

If I can access it, can I just click "Download" and it's automatically tied to my account like the free PS+ games, or do I actually need to download it now?[/QUOTE]

Its saved to your psn account and you can download it anytime you want.

I have all the FF for the PS1 but have only played FFVII (3 times) and FF Anthology for Chrono Trigger. All the other games are still factory-sealed. I'll probably buy all the FF rpgs and I might actually get around to playing them this time and keep my originals sealed.

Wow, Media Go is just like iTunes. I love you guys.

I honestly think Sony is leaving money on the table by making these things unclear. A lot of the things related to Playstation like PS Plus, PSP/Vita connectivity, and some PSN features are downright confusing. Or maybe I'm just a dumbass - I can't discount that possibility.

I hope this isn't a dumb question that's been answered before but anyway here goes...

I'd like to pick up FFVII and be able to play it on both my PSP and PS3 since it says its playable on both systems.

Thing is, I don't know how the DRM works in this case. If I download it to my PS3 and then send the file over to my PSP (via usb cable) and play it on there, will there be any DRM issues like with XBOX Live that makes you have to be online or else the file wont work or something? ....or would I be OK and be able to start up a game on either system (PS3 or PSP) and not have issues moving forward?

I am big fan of the game and it'd be nice to be able to play it at home on the PS3 and when I go out traveling to be able to play it on the PSP.

(BTW, I know the saves would be different and that's not an issue.)

Thanks in advance for any replies, its very much appreciated.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']I hope this isn't a dumb question that's been answered before but anyway here goes...

I'd like to pick up FFVII and be able to play it on both my PSP and PS3 since it says its playable on both systems.

Thing is, I don't know how the DRM works in this case. If I download it to my PS3 and then send the file over to my PSP (via usb cable) and play it on there, will there be any DRM issues like with XBOX Live that makes you have to be online or else the file wont work or something? ....or would I be OK and be able to start up a game on either system (PS3 or PSP) and not have issues moving forward?

I am big fan of the game and it'd be nice to be able to play it at home on the PS3 and when I go out traveling to be able to play it on the PSP.

(BTW, I know the saves would be different and that's not an issue.)

Thanks in advance for any replies, its very much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
No, there's no issue with having it on both. When you install it on your PS3, it'll leave the install bubble behind that you can then transfer to the PSP when you connect it with a USB cable.

You can also transfer the save between PS3 and PSP so you don't have to start over when you change where you want to play it. Just click on Memory Card Utility on the PS3's XMB and you're able to transfer the saves back and forth from there.

In addition to what frisky said, if this is your first time putting PS Store content on your PSP, you might need to activate your PSP online before the DRM allows you to play your PS Store purchases.

[quote name='justme99z']Man I wish Dissidia 012 was on sale again... by the time I decided I wanted it, the last sale was over :([/QUOTE]

So many people missed it when it was on sale, myself included. Makes me wonder why Sony didn't just wait to put it on sale with the other final fantasy titles.

How are the controls for the Final Fantasy PS1 games on the PSP? Would love to play these games when I travel but I'm a bit worried about how the controls are.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...sn-top-sellers-the-simpsons-escape-plan-soar/

The Best-Selling Games for February 2012:
Last month was a big one for PlayStation Network games! Not only did we see a ton of great new downloadable PS3 titles, but the launch of PS Vita saw PSN flooded with new digital offerings. Starting this month, we’re introducing a new list to show what games topped the digital PS Vita charts.

On PS3, our hats are off to The Simpsons Arcade Game for debuting at the top spot! This long-awaited PS3 port of the coin-op co-op classic delivered nostalgic beat em’ up action peppered with obscure Simpsons references. In PS Vita’s world, Sony’s own Santa Monica Studio delivered a bonafide hit with the charming Escape Plan. And in the rest of the charts, Final Fantasy dominated PS3 Add-Ons, PS one Classics, and PSP categories…just in time for this week’s Spring Fever Final Fantasy franchise sale!

What games did you pick up in February? Did the PS Vita impact your PS3 playtime? What games do you think will top the charts in March? Share your thoughts and we’ll see you next month to break down the March PSN Top Sellers!

Top 20 PSN and PS3 Full Games

1) The Simpsons Arcade Game – Woo-hoo! This classic arcade game hit PSN in Feburary after decades in console gaming limbo.
2) Gotham City Impostors
3) The House of the Dead III
4) Shank 2 – The sequel to one of the craziest 2D action games ever won gamers over with hugely improved graphics, more responsive combat, and an addictive new co-op mode.
5) NFL Blitz
6) NBA JAM: On Fire Edition
7) inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood
8) Grand Theft Auto IV
9) Jak and Daxter Collection – Naughty Dog’s PS2 heroes arrived in style on the PS3 with three of the best 3D platformers ever made.
10) Real Steel
11) Sonic CD
12) Madden NFL 12
13) Resident Evil 4
14) Mass Effect 2 – Mass Effect 2’s resurgence on the Top 20 hints that players were busily preparing for Mass Effect 3’s PSN release on March 6th.
15) Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
16) Shadow of the Colossus
17) Castle Crashers
18) Worms Ultimate Mayhem
19) PAYDAY: The Heist
20) Dungeon Defenders

Top 10 PS Vita Games

1) Escape Plan
2) Super Stardust Delta
3) Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
4) Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
5) Plants vs. Zombies PS Vita
6) Rayman Origins
7) UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
8) Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
9) Hustle Kings PS Vita
10) Dynasty Warriors Next

Top 5 PS3 Add-Ons

1) Final Fantasy XIII-2 – Opponent: Lightning & Amodar
2) Battlefield 3 – Back to Karkand
3) FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 – Noel’s Outfit: Battle Attire
4) Battlefield 3 – SPECACT Kit & Dog Tag Bundle
5) Gran Turismo 5 – Car Pack 3

Top 5 PSone Classics

1) Final Fantasy VII (PS3/PSP)
2) Final Fantasy VI (PS3/PSP)
3) Twisted Metal 2 (PS3/PSP)
4) Final Fantasy IX (PS3/PSP)
5) Resident Evil 2 (PS3/PSP)

Top 5 PSP Games

1) Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
2) Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
3) Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
4) NBA 2K12 PSP
5) Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy

[quote name='DemonsMaster']So many people missed it when it was on sale, myself included. Makes me wonder why Sony didn't just wait to put it on sale with the other final fantasy titles.[/QUOTE]

Makes me wonder how people can "miss" a week long sale with no supply issues.

Fun Fact: it is impossible to get the Excalibur 2 weapon in the FFIX PSN rereleases, due to the fact that you can't skip FMVs in that version

source: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_II

The only way the player can obtain the Excalibur II is to make it to the game's final dungeon, Memoria, into the room Gate to Space (where the party fights Lich) without exceeding 12 hours of playtime.

Despite this, the challenge is still impossible in the PS-one "classics" downloaded version of the game due to inability to skip FMVs (which adds about 2 hours to game time)

I suppose this is a pointless question but why did they release the FF: Origins as a single release but Anthology (V & VI) seperately? Were there singular PS1 releases of V and VI that I missed? For that matter why not release Chronicles (IV and CT) together? Or should I just be happy that they didn't split up I & II?

I have WotL already for PSP but I'm thinking I might as well pick up the downloadble version since they aren't giving us the option to transfer our PSP collection to Vita.

Lastly, is this the best price I can get for IV Complete? Kinda leaning towards digital just so I can play it on my Vita. It really annoys me that the digital version even at a discount is more than I'm normally willing to pay for a PSP game ($10 max).

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I suppose this is a pointless question but why did they release the FF: Origins as a single release but Anthology (V & VI) seperately? Were there singular PS1 releases of V and VI that I missed? For that matter why not release Chronicles (IV and CT) together? Or should I just be happy that they didn't split up I & II?

I have WotL already for PSP but I'm thinking I might as well pick up the downloadble version since they aren't giving us the option to transfer our PSP collection to Vita.

Lastly, is this the best price I can get for IV Complete? Kinda leaning towards digital just so I can play it on my Vita. It really annoys me that the digital version even at a discount is more than I'm normally willing to pay for a PSP game ($10 max).[/QUOTE]
From what I'm reading, Final Fantasy Origins was released on one disc while the Chrono Trigger/IV and V/VI compilations split them onto two discs, which would've resulted in separate files for CT/FFV/FFVI and one file for FFI/FFII in the process of bringing them over to PSN. In Japan, FFI and FFII were separate releases, so they're available separately on their PS Store.

Confession time guys.. The only FF games I've played are X and X-2. I'm interested in buying VII so I can play it on my Vita when they update it.

If you take off the nostalgia goggles (all the way), is it worth playing? $7 dollars isn't a lot if I bought it on impulse and didn't like it, but I wouldn't be on CAG if I was in the business of wasting money, as little as it is!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']From what I'm reading, Final Fantasy Origins was released on one disc while the Chrono Trigger/IV and V/VI compilations split them onto two discs, which would've resulted in separate files for CT/FFV/FFVI and one file for FFI/FFII in the process of bringing them over to PSN. In Japan, FFI and FFII were separate releases, so they're available separately on their PS Store.[/QUOTE]

Of course. I suppose I could have just looked at the originals in my collection and deduced that. Knew there had to be a reasonable explanation.

Hey guys, quick question

I really want to buy FFV while it's discounted, but I downloaded for free last month as part of the plus deals. When I go to purchase it, the red mark appears on the game, asking if I want to download it, rather than buy it.

I know it seems stupid, but I want all the ps1 FFs purchased in case my plus sub was to lapse. Is there any way around this? Thanks

[quote name='ddp72984']Hey guys, quick question

I really want to buy FFV while it's discounted, but I downloaded for free last month as part of the plus deals. When I go to purchase it, the red mark appears on the game, asking if I want to download it, rather than buy it.

I know it seems stupid, but I want all the ps1 FFs purchased in case my plus sub was to lapse. Is there any way around this? Thanks[/QUOTE]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9475509&postcount=340
The answer is basically, no you can't buy it for the sale price if you already downloaded it with PS+.

[quote name='NEP']Confession time guys.. The only FF games I've played are X and X-2. I'm interested in buying VII so I can play it on my Vita when they update it.

If you take off the nostalgia goggles (all the way), is it worth playing? $7 dollars isn't a lot if I bought it on impulse and didn't like it, but I wouldn't be on CAG if I was in the business of wasting money, as little as it is![/QUOTE]

Graphically, the game is ass.
Audio quality is low but the tunes themselves are memorable.
Storyline was good for its time. Now it will be cliched, but the characters are great. I almost quit after the first 3 hours because it was really slow.
The game is 40-60 hours long without getting everything.
The materia system is broken but fun to experiment with (and my favorite magic system of any FF).
The battle system is turn based and you will be pressing 'x' a lot, although not as much as FFXIII (as there actually is some strategy).
Battles are randomly generated and too frequent.

FFIX and FFX are technically better games. With that said, FFVII is my favorite game because I prefer the characters, the music, and the battle system over the others. I can't say something like "if you liked X you'll like VII" because the games 'feel' very different. I think the biggest hurdle will be the graphics.
For VII dollars, yeah it's worth it.

[quote name='NEP']Confession time guys.. The only FF games I've played are X and X-2. I'm interested in buying VII so I can play it on my Vita when they update it.

If you take off the nostalgia goggles (all the way), is it worth playing? $7 dollars isn't a lot if I bought it on impulse and didn't like it, but I wouldn't be on CAG if I was in the business of wasting money, as little as it is![/QUOTE]

All i'm saying.... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...F9rT_vpO4jl0QGcibTlBg&ved=0CFcQ9QEwBw&dur=163

[quote name='reicaden']All i'm saying.... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...F9rT_vpO4jl0QGcibTlBg&ved=0CFcQ9QEwBw&dur=163[/QUOTE]

Except she looks nothing like that in the game.

[quote name='JawnMan']Graphically, the game is ass.
Audio quality is low but the tunes themselves are memorable.
Storyline was good for its time. Now it will be cliched, but the characters are great. I almost quit after the first 3 hours because it was really slow.
The game is 40-60 hours long without getting everything.
The materia system is broken but fun to experiment with (and my favorite magic system of any FF).
The battle system is turn based and you will be pressing 'x' a lot, although not as much as FFXIII (as there actually is some strategy).
Battles are randomly generated and too frequent.

FFIX and FFX are technically better games. With that said, FFVII is my favorite game because I prefer the characters, the music, and the battle system over the others. I can't say something like "if you liked X you'll like VII" because the games 'feel' very different. I think the biggest hurdle will be the graphics.
For VII dollars, yeah it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this is spot on. Even when the game was released it looked like a turd compared to some other stuff. The only thing that looks mildly decent are some of the FMVs, but even those aren't anything special. If you're going for graphics on a PS1 game though, you'll always be disappointed.

Story is OK...to this day, I don't think I really understand it.

Battle system is pretty boring. I disagree with the more strategy than FFXIII argument. FFXIII required you used different classes to succeed in certain battles. FFVII has no classes, and if you level enough you really can succeed just by pressing X.

But all arguments aside...it's less than $5, and everyone should play it at least once. It's still a great game, just don't expect the perfect 10 the majority of people make it out to be. I'd give it a 5 at best. The last time I played through it fully was in the early 2000's. Now, I'd probably give it a 4. But still...$5.

TL;DR: Get FFIX if you can only afford one of these.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Would it be worth it to get the PS1 FF games right now in hopes that the Vita will support it soon? This is my first PS device so I'm not too sure how often PSN runs these sales.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This is the first time that most of these have been on sale, so might as well jump on them if you're interested. Sony's at least committed to getting PS1 titles working on the Vita, so it's just a matter of how long they take to get it done.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what a pain. I just don't understand why PSOne games couldn't have compatibility at launch. Maybe I'll pick Final Fantasy IX up and let it linger on the PS3 until I can transfer it. Maybe.

[quote name='VidPower']Fun Fact: it is impossible to get the Excalibur 2 weapon in the FFIX PSN rereleases, due to the fact that you can't skip FMVs in that version

source: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_II[/QUOTE]
:hot:

I did not know that... dammit!

:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

EDIT

It's actually not *technically* impossible:

GLITCH - In the case of finding Excalibur II in 12 hours, due to a glitch, potentially it is possible to reset the game clock to allow a player to gain the Excalibur II again if missed the first time by allowing the game clock to make 256 revolutions of 100 hours to overflow the clock and have it start again from the beginning. However, this means over two years of gameplay.

^ Good luck with that!

[quote name='captaintek3304']Except she looks nothing like that in the game.

Pretty much this is spot on. Even when the game was released it looked like a turd compared to some other stuff. The only thing that looks mildly decent are some of the FMVs, but even those aren't anything special. If you're going for graphics on a PS1 game though, you'll always be disappointed.

Story is OK...to this day, I don't think I really understand it.

Battle system is pretty boring. I disagree with the more strategy than FFXIII argument. FFXIII required you used different classes to succeed in certain battles. FFVII has no classes, and if you level enough you really can succeed just by pressing X.

But all arguments aside...it's less than $5, and everyone should play it at least once. It's still a great game, just don't expect the perfect 10 the majority of people make it out to be. I'd give it a 5 at best. The last time I played through it fully was in the early 2000's. Now, I'd probably give it a 4. But still...$5.

TL;DR: Get FFIX if you can only afford one of these.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would also say FFIX if you had to get one. I think it holds up better than VII. The graphics and music are really good too. And the FMV sequences are awesome (although unspoken).

As for the battle system, I personally didn't like it in XIII, and while it does have the Paradigm system, you could pretty much press auto-battle in every situation and the characters would generally pick the most efficient attack. Now granted, you can input everything manually, but I did not find myself with enough time to pick my own attacks (My fault here). The battles were too quick and victory a lot of time relies on quickly inputted attacks - the fastest option being autopilot. Also, you can only control one party member, and the only strategic element is switching between the Paradigms, and maybe know when to use a summon.

FFVII is more like FFX which the other person played. There is a TON of pressing 'x' and the too frequent battles get repetitive/boring - true. But you need to know what each spell, summon does and what's effective against each type of enemy. There wasn't a button that automatically did it for you. Factor in that you also have control over 3 party members (with strengths/weaknesses) and you can pick if you want them to be in the front or back of the party formation, and I will argue that there is more strategy.

But, disclaimer, I will say that I did not like XIII at all so that could just be my bias.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']
It's actually not *technically* impossible:

However, this means over two years of gameplay.

^ Good luck with that![/QUOTE]

tumblr_lfgcg5qzsl1qbvc38o1_400.jpg

It does seem odd that skipping the movies would be impossible without changing the source.

I'm not concerned, though. Never liked speedrun challenges. Final Fantasy IX is meant to be savored, in any case.

Is there anywhere I can get PSN for 1 month? I'm looking at picking up a few of the games and I think PSN+ would be worth it this time around.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Is there anywhere I can get PSN for 1 month? I'm looking at picking up a few of the games and I think PSN+ would be worth it this time around.[/QUOTE]

Not too sure about 1 month, the lowest I've seen are 3 month periods for $17.99 equaling $6 a month.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Is there anywhere I can get PSN for 1 month? I'm looking at picking up a few of the games and I think PSN+ would be worth it this time around.[/QUOTE]
eBay and maybe from a CAG trader here.

Picked up FFT couldnt resist @ this price. I think i have started this game 3 different times on ps1 and never beat it. This time it will be different. (prob not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back