PSN Weekly Deals - 3/4: PSN Awards & Free MotorStorm RC Vita! 3/13 Spring Fever Sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Welcome to the best thread for all of the deals on games, add-ons, and other stuff in the PlayStation Store both on and off of PSN.

If you enjoy the work that I put into this and the other threads I run on this site, feel free to vote for me in the Cheapy Awards' CAG Community Award category.

Index
Current Deals
Alternate Deals
Upcoming Deals (Post #2)
February 2012 PlayStation Plus Offerings (Post #2)
Persistent PlayStation Plus Deals (Post #2)
Frequently Asked Questions (Post #2)

Current Deals (Full Update Here)

Bundles

PS3
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - $20.99 - Ends 3/13
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - $8.99 - Ends 3/13
Fancy Pants Adventures - $4.99
God of War: Origins Collection - $27.99 - Ends 3/13
Hydrophobia: Prophecy - $2.99 - Temporary Sale
Infamous Festival of Blood - $6.99 - Ends 3/13
Jurassic Park: The Game - $19.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Just Cause 2 - $19.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Limbo - $10.49 - Ends 3/13
Resident Evil 4 - $13.99 - Ends 3/13
Resident Evil Code Veronica X - $9.99
Space Ace - $4.99
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition - $10.49 - Ends 3/13

PSP
Cabela’s African Safari - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts Ultimate Challenge - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Cabela’s North American Adventures - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Crash Bandicoot: Mind Over Mutant - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Crash Of The Titans - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Crash Tag Team Racing - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy - $20.99 - Ends 3/13
DJMax Portable 3 - $19.99
Gun: Showdown - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Monster Jam: Path Of Destruction - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Rapala Trophies - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop
Super Monkey Ball Adventure - $9.99
Swat: Target Liberty - $9.99 - Permanent Price Drop

PS1 Classics
Chrono Trigger - $6.99 - Ends 3/13

Minis
Angry Birds - $2.79 - Ends 3/13

Vita
MLB 12: The Show - $34.99 - 2.8 GB
MotorStorm RC Presented By Scion - Free - 646 MB
Unit 13 - $35.99 - 1.2 GB

PlayStation Plus

Deals
Angry Birds - PSP/PS3 - $1.95 - Ends 3/13
Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - $14.69 - Ends 3/13
Chrono Trigger - PSP/PS3 - $4.89 - Ends 3/13
Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy - PSP - $14.69 - Ends 3/13
Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - $6.29 - Ends 3/13
God of War: Origins Collection - $19.59 - Ends 3/13
Infamous Festival of Blood - $4.89 - Ends 3/13
Killzone 3 Multiplayer - $7.50
Limbo - $7.34 - Ends 3/13
MotorStorm RC - $7.49 - Ends 3/13
Resident Evil 4 - $9.79 - Ends 3/13
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition - $7.34 - Ends 3/13
Touchdown Fever - PSP/PS3 - $2.39
Worms: Ultimate Mayhem - $11.99

Free Games (Don't Argue About This, Please)
Battle Fantasia
Bermuda Triangle - PSP/PS3
Fatal Inertia
Hamsterball
Inferno Pool
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
Orbit - PSP/PS3
Sackboys' Prehistoric Moves
Sega Genesis Bundle - Includes the Six Games Below
Altered Beast
Comix Zone
Golden Axe
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus - 5.2 GB
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Streets of Rage 2
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars
Um Jammer Lammy - PSP/PS3

Qore
Qore Episode 46 - March 2012

Add-ons
Dungeon Defenders - PlayStation Plus Exclusive DLC - Free

Themes
Leap Year - Dynamic
The House of the Dead III - Dynamic
Start The Party 2 - Dynamic

Asura's Wrath Bundle - $0.99
The House of the Dead III (3)
Jak and Daxter Collection (2)
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Bundle 4 - $0.99
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Bundle 3 - $0.99

Alternate Deals (Deals not available in the PS Store)

PlayStation Network Cards
$20 code - GameStop.com - $19.99
$20 code - BestBuy.com - $20.00
$50 code - GameStop.com - $49.99
$50 code - BestBuy.com - $50.00

PS3
Age of Booty - GameStop.com - $4.99
Digger HD - GameStop.com - $4.99
Fat Princess - BestBuy.com - $7.99
Superstars V8 Racing - GameStop.com - $7.49

Minis
Awesome Summer Minis Bundle (A Space Shooter for 2 Bucks, Young Thor, Zombie Tycoon, and Widget Odyssey 1 & 2) - GameStop.com - $4.99

PS1
Crash Bandicoot - GameStop.com - $2.99 - 50% off
Jet Moto - GameStop.com - $2.99 - 50% off

PSP
Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos - GameStop.com - $5.99 - 25% off
Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light - GameStop.com - $5.99 - 25% off
CLADUN: This is an RPG! - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 50% off
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 33% off
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days - GameStop.com - $14.99 - 25% off
Disgaea Infinite - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 47% off
Dragoneer's Aria - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 50% off
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? - GameStop.com - $7.99 - 20% off
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! - GameStop.com - $9.99 - 66% off
Z.H.P.: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman - GameStop.com - $19.99 - 33% off

I'll be filling this thread out a bit more as we go and I'll answer questions whenever I can. Feel free to provide feedback for ways to improve this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
so as a ps + subscriber is there any way to "buy" resident evil 3 so that I can play it after my subscription expires?

so far doesn't look like it other than creating a new account to do this.

any ideas? Im thinking of asking customer service but thats a pain.

[quote name='retrad']so as a ps + subscriber is there any way to "buy" resident evil 3 so that I can play it after my subscription expires?

so far doesn't look like it other than creating a new account to do this.

any ideas? Im thinking of asking customer service but thats a pain.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't believe there is. You'd have to wait for your subscription to expire before buying it (or for it to no longer be free), or buy it on a different account.

I read through all the comments about wanting to buy a free game (the RE ones this week) and I can't but but think "Am I the only one that wants to stay a PS+ member permanently?" because it sure seems that way sometimes. With all the bonus months they threw my way I'm set until February 2013 and I plan on continuing the service indefinitely. It really is a great bargain for a whole swath of content. I really wish Xbox had this kind of service (although maybe not since I already own a TON of arcade games).

Am I crazy? Am I alone in this thought process?

Guess I'll pick up RE4 for $10 since I haven't played it since the Gamecube version originally came out. Sucks that they didn't give the re-release a little more love though. I mean, give it a full trophy list with a Platinum at least for crying out loud! :D

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Am I crazy? Am I alone in this thought process?[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, I don't get this buying plus for a month, at just the right time to catch a couple sales then letting it expire. It's way cheap to buy a year, in fact I picked up a couple years after the network outage because I honestly didn't understand what plus offered until they offered it free. I picked up 1 year for the discounted rate on PSN (outage discount) and the other for like 35$ on eBay. And in the 3 months I've had plus, first month was the free month and the others around 3$ a month, total 6$ so far, with all the free content and the sale content I have purchased I am easily over $100 bucks saved, to me that's a deal and as long as it remains that way, I will subscribe. Especially if it flows over to the Vita which I plan to pick up on launch!

Couldn't find if anyone already asked this, but can you use the analog stick on RE1, 2, and 3 instead of the D-Pad?

I bought Dino Crisis when it was on sale a few weeks ago but only played it like 20 mins because I couldn't stand using the D-Pad to play, and I'll have to pass on RE if it is the same way.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I read through all the comments about wanting to buy a free game (the RE ones this week) and I can't but but think "Am I the only one that wants to stay a PS+ member permanently?" because it sure seems that way sometimes. With all the bonus months they threw my way I'm set until February 2013 and I plan on continuing the service indefinitely. It really is a great bargain for a whole swath of content. I really wish Xbox had this kind of service (although maybe not since I already own a TON of arcade games).

Am I crazy? Am I alone in this thought process?[/QUOTE]
But surely you don't believe PS+ will exist indefinitely. What happens then?

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I read through all the comments about wanting to buy a free game (the RE ones this week) and I can't but but think "Am I the only one that wants to stay a PS+ member permanently?" because it sure seems that way sometimes. With all the bonus months they threw my way I'm set until February 2013 and I plan on continuing the service indefinitely. It really is a great bargain for a whole swath of content. I really wish Xbox had this kind of service (although maybe not since I already own a TON of arcade games).

Nope, you are not alone, I love my PS+ sub.

[quote name='waldo21212']Couldn't find if anyone already asked this, but can you use the analog stick on RE1, 2, and 3 instead of the D-Pad?

I bought Dino Crisis when it was on sale a few weeks ago but only played it like 20 mins because I couldn't stand using the D-Pad to play, and I'll have to pass on RE if it is the same way.[/QUOTE]

You can set the analog sticks to take over the digital direction pad functions via the emulation software on you PSP/PS3 on all PSX downloaded titles

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']You can set the analog sticks to take over the digital direction pad functions via the emulation software on you PSP/PS3 on all PSX downloaded titles[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I will have to look at the settings and hopefully can figure out how to do it.

Here's my question for PS+:

Say a game this week (PSOne Classic - Resident Evil Director's Cut) is on sale for 50% of at just $4.99. However, it comes FREE with a PS+ membership.

Q: What happens when you're PS+ subscription runs out? Doesn't that game become "unavailable" to play?

Do you have the option as a PS+ member to purchase the game at 50% off, or are you stuck downloading the game for FREE which is playable only until your PS+ subscription expires?

But money is tight and you don't want to renew your PS+ subscription for another $50, yet you want to keep playing your PSOne Classic game, you would have to purchase the game for it's FULL $9.99 price then, right?

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Here's my question for PS+:

Say a game this week (PSOne Classic - Resident Evil Director's Cut) is on sale for 50% of at just $4.99. However, it comes FREE with a PS+ membership.

Q: What happens when you're PS+ subscription runs out? Doesn't that game become "unavailable" to play?

Do you have the option as a PS+ member to purchase the game at 50% off, or are you stuck downloading the game for FREE which is playable only until your PS+ subscription expires?

But money is tight and you don't want to renew your PS+ subscription for another $50, yet you want to keep playing your PSOne Classic game, you would have to purchase the game for it's FULL $9.99 price then, right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the game would be unavailable to play after your subscription runs out. You'll have the game on your harddrive but you'll lose the license to play it. There is no option to buy it at 50% off if you're a PS+ subscriber. You'll have to wait until your subscription expires to buy it.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Here's my question for PS+:

But money is tight and you don't want to renew your PS+ subscription for another $50, yet you want to keep playing your PSOne Classic game, you would have to purchase the game for it's FULL $9.99 price then, right?[/QUOTE]
The PS+ offer overrides the normal offer, so you're only option as a PS+ subscriber is to download it for free.

It seems like an odd issue where the service wasn't really designed to allow subscribers to choose whether they want to purchase a game as a PS+ member or a normal PSN member, which they should look into a solution since there should be a way to upgrade a game from a PS+ license to a full purchase license like you'd get when your sub expires.

Or...and I think this may be most important, stop buying video games if money is tight. Seriously. You have a bigger issue than Sony does with the way their service works.

Nope, when I signed up when it first came out, I had no intention of letting my subscription run out (unless the service ended up really sucking). All these people whining about not actually "owning" the game, but why would you let your subscription lapse? The free games are great and the sales are great. It's more than paid for itself.

Sure, in 10 years, when people have moved on from the PS3, I won't be able to play some PSN games, but who gives a shit?

[quote name='wrencrest']Or...and I think this may be most important, stop buying video games if money is tight. Seriously. You have a bigger issue than Sony does with the way their service works.[/QUOTE]

For real. If $50 for a year of service is going to break the bank, maybe you shouldn't be buying games right now?

I wasn't really blown away by PS+ when they gave the free month. Which was why I was curious about how RE 1-3 would work. I got the 3 month membership mainly for PvZ and the RE4 discount. I can honestly say I will probably continue using PS+. So the whole not "owning" RE 1-3 isn't a big deal to me. Not to mention the auto update feature is well worth it.

[quote name='simmias']But surely you don't believe PS+ will exist indefinitely. What happens then?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming I'll be long since dead by then. I'm under the assumption this program like Xbox Live (now Xbox Live Gold) will be around for at least the next generation or two-probably a hell of a lot longer if/when we go to a pure digital download format since both these programs are for digital content already anyway.

Do I think it will run indefinitely? I'd like to think so. Ultimately, I think at this point since the program is still running after its first year it must be enough of a success to be a sustainable business model so there is no reason to believe it will be terminated at the very least until the end of the console life cycle. Assuming Sony makes another console for the next gen, which I have no doubt they will, it is completely reasonable to assume that this program will likely carryover along with all the content. However, for the ~$2.67 a month I'm currently paying for the service I will not be too heartbroken if the content does not carryover.

Thanks to everyone else who chimed in saying they intend to hang around for the duration of PS+, I definitely feel more confident about the program now.

Sigh......really? Are people honestly using the "Just spend more money (or) Stop being poor" argument? That is still probably the most asinine argument I ever hear regarding video games purchases. Now, I'm not saying one way or another about PSN+, and it's great that you folks are happy with the service, but some of us are just people on a budget or simply looking to get the best possible deal. It's incredibly rude, and moreso insulting, to lambaste someone's financial situation or purchase preference in general, especially when you do it ON A DEALS WEBSITE for fucks sake.

Seriously, knock that shit off.

[quote name='simmias']But surely you don't believe PS+ will exist indefinitely. What happens then?[/QUOTE]

That same problem applies to PSN itself.

Is it just me or does the M rating logo screen take far too long to disappear on MK Arcade Collection? I just quit out of it twice because I thought it had frozen.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']
For real. If $50 for a year of service is going to break the bank, maybe you shouldn't be buying games right now?[/QUOTE]

For $50 a year, I can buy a bunch of different PSN games on sale for non PS+ members. The difference being that I don't lose them and I'm not paying for a bunch of games I don't care about. If there are less than $50 in PSN games released a year that I care about, how is it remotely possible that a PS+ membership will pay off?

[quote name='Blaster man']For $50 a year, I can buy a bunch of different PSN games on sale for non PS+ members. The difference being that I don't lose them and I'm not paying for a bunch of games I don't care about. If there are less than $50 in PSN games released a year that I care about, how is it remotely possible that a PS+ membership will pay off?[/QUOTE]Your forgetting one of the big advantages of being a PS+ member in that you get discounts for games that normal PSN users don't. Discounts on games you get to KEEP. Most major games released on the PSN recently have come with discounts to + users. The games in the PSN Play deal being a fine example.

[quote name='MrBeatdown']That same problem applies to PSN itself.[/QUOTE]

Your PSN+ games are good until the date your subscription ends. Thus unless a new subscription is activated, you will not be able to access the existing games on your harddrive. A non-PSN+ owner will always be able to access the games on the harddrive.

Sure a PS3 may be rendered non-functional some day, which is why you should back up your harddrive (assuming there is no PSN service and you can't redownload the game).

Another thing I find interesting is we'll assume PSN+ will be around indefinately and all the games will all transfer to future systems. The service will eventually focus on PS4, PS5 ect, and new games will not release for PS3. If you do not wish to upgrade to the next PSx system, you will still have to buy the service for your PS3 just to keep accessing your prior games. This may involve paying more than $50/yr, since it's likely the service will have inflation and prices will continue to increase in the future.

I don't get the whole, who cares if I can't access it in the future, since I've got my monies worth. True there are a bunch of games that aren't good enough to warrant a purchase (or future playthru) that I find out after I purchase them. But there are a bunch of NES games that are >25 years old that I still play today. Digital in general is sketchy whether it will be around that long, but I'd like to think I still have the possibility of playing my current PSN games in 25 years without paying $1,250 (current 50/yr at 25 years). Also, while a bunch of games are given free each month, I find they aren't usually the ones I would purchase. I spend much less than $50 a year on downloadable content and I download what I want. So I'm not worried about a bunch of free content that I could care less about.

[quote name='Blaster man']For $50 a year, I can buy a bunch of different PSN games on sale for non PS+ members. The difference being that I don't lose them and I'm not paying for a bunch of games I don't care about. If there are less than $50 in PSN games released a year that I care about, how is it remotely possible that a PS+ membership will pay off?[/QUOTE]
This is why I have always said no to buying PS+, since the majority of the 'free' games are stuff that I played years ago(Golden Axe) or stuff that's so cheap on the Playstation store(Alien Zombie Death) that it makes no sense to pay the $50 for a year since there's no really good value to the free games.

I mean, I'm not saying I want them to give out full downloadable retail games like inFamous(beside which my connection would take forfuckinever to download the multi-gig DLC versions of those games:roll:), but when the most you're handing out are $.99 value games and converted old school arcade games, then the value just isn't there for some folks.
[quote name='PimpLimp']Your forgetting one of the big advantages of being a PS+ member in that you get discounts for games that normal PSN users don't. Discounts on games you get to KEEP. Most major games released on the PSN recently have come with discounts to + users. The games in the PSN Play deal being a fine example.[/QUOTE]
But how good are the actual discounts? The only recently released game to PSN that I was kinda interested in was From Dust($14.99 normally) and with PSN+ it was a whopping $3. Big whoop. To me a good discount is 50% off and I'm talking 50% off of a game priced at $15 or higher, not some $1-5 pos.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is why I have always said no to buying PS+, since the majority of the 'free' games are stuff that I played years ago(Golden Axe) or stuff that's so cheap on the Playstation store(Alien Zombie Death) that it makes no sense to pay the $50 for a year since there's no really good value to the free games.

I mean, I'm not saying I want them to give out full downloadable retail games like inFamous(beside which my connection would take forfuckinever to download the multi-gig DLC versions of those games:roll:), but when the most you're handing out are $.99 value games and converted old school arcade games, then the value just isn't there for some folks.

But how good are the actual discounts? The only recently released game to PSN that I was kinda interested in was From Dust($14.99 normally) and with PSN+ it was a whopping $3. Big whoop. To me a good discount is 50% off and I'm talking 50% off of a game priced at $15 or higher, not some $1-5 pos.[/QUOTE]

Resident Evil 4 says hi.

[quote name='Reo 15x']Resident Evil 4 says hi.[/QUOTE]

I said shit I'd WANT. I can't stand the RE series, so a free DLC version of that wouldn't be worth dick to me. Besides which, that's just Sony(and Capcom's) way of milking more money out of games that people could likely find a deal on a real physical copy of if they actually looked hard enough.

The whole 'old games as DLC versions and "HD remakes at full MSRP" ' thing disgusts me.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

The whole 'old games as DLC versions and "HD remakes at full MSRP" ' thing disgusts me.[/QUOTE]

uh ok so dont buy them then.

[quote name='retrad']uh ok so dont buy them then.[/QUOTE]
I haven't bought one of them yet. I just wish other people would stop buying them as well so companies would stop milking these games/series.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Where are there HD remakes at full price?[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean full MSRP, but some of these 'collections' are pretty ridiculous at $40 or more starting price.

The PS3 may be some people's first console, so by releasing old games it gives them a chance to play games they otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Milking it? Maybe, but bands do them same thing releasing Greatest Hits Albums, and those allow people a chance to hear some stuff they may not have otherwise heard by the band. If there wasn't a market for it, they would stop making them. Just like all the damn COD DLC.

While I wouldn't pay $40 for some of the re-released games, they tend to drop in price fast enough if I did want to get them at a reduced price point not too long after they come out. I'm waiting for the GOW Origins Collection to drop to around $15-20, since I don't have a PSP but would like to be able to play those games.

My one buddy is waiting on the GOW Origins Collection to drop to $15-20 as well. I definitely understand that for some this may be their first console, but with enough perserverance they could find the games in these collections and a cheap PS1/PS2 to play them on for about the same price or cheaper than the collections and at least own the actual games in a physical format.

I guess that's the thing that annoys me most is how so many are so willing to shell out for digital files.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My one buddy is waiting on the GOW Origins Collection to drop to $15-20 as well. I definitely understand that for some this may be their first console, but with enough perserverance they could find the games in these collections and a cheap PS1/PS2 to play them on for about the same price or cheaper than the collections and at least own the actual games in a physical format.

I guess that's the thing that annoys me most is how so many are so willing to shell out for digital files.[/QUOTE]

build a bridge and get over it.

while maybe not in resident evil 4s case there are a lot of games people cant find in stores and unlike you who is in the minority I dont want to have 7 consoles lying around so i can hook them up and hope they still work so i can play an old game.

IE i dont want to have to find a working nes so I can play nes games.

Like I said it doesn't apply to resident evil 4 but plenty of other games it does...

Furthermore buying a used game copy of a psx/ps2 game is a pain too, since scratched damaged copies are out there.

Just because you dont have a use for these games doesn't mean the rest of us dont see the value in it. If you dont want to buy digital games dont. Other people buying them does not affect you at all.

PS consoles will be going all digital within the next 10 years or so. Enjoy your relics of physical media. Adapt or die.

[quote name='retrad']build a bridge and get over it.

while maybe not in resident evil 4s case there are a lot of games people cant find in stores and unlike you who is in the minority I dont want to have 7 consoles lying around so i can hook them up and hope they still work so i can play an old game.

IE i dont want to have to find a working nes so I can play nes games.

Like I said it doesn't apply to resident evil 4 but plenty of other games it does...

Furthermore buying a used game copy of a psx/ps2 game is a pain too, since scratched damaged copies are out there.

Just because you dont have a use for these games doesn't mean the rest of us dont see the value in it. If you dont want to buy digital games dont. Other people buying them does not affect you at all.

PS consoles will be going all digital within the next 10 years or so. Enjoy your relics of physical media. Adapt or die.[/QUOTE]
All I'm gonna say on this is I prefer physical media. If other people prefer a digital download, then that's their prerogative, just as it's their prerogative if they consider $20-30 for a download only version of a game to be a good price.

I don't.

So if consoles DO go all digital download within the next gen, then that's it for me, as I will NOT pay $50-60 for a frickin' downloadable version of a game. At most I'd pay $10 for something I have ZERO resell rights to.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Sigh......really? Are people honestly using the "Just spend more money (or) Stop being poor" argument? That is still probably the most asinine argument I ever hear regarding video games purchases. Now, I'm not saying one way or another about PSN+, and it's great that you folks are happy with the service, but some of us are just people on a budget or simply looking to get the best possible deal. It's incredibly rude, and moreso insulting, to lambaste someone's financial situation or purchase preference in general, especially when you do it ON A DEALS WEBSITE for fucks sake.

Seriously, knock that shit off.[/QUOTE]

I believe the argument was, if $50 is going to break the bank, maybe you should stop spending money on games for awhile.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But how good are the actual discounts? The only recently released game to PSN that I was kinda interested in was From Dust($14.99 normally) and with PSN+ it was a whopping $3. Big whoop. To me a good discount is 50% off and I'm talking 50% off of a game priced at $15 or higher, not some $1-5 pos.[/QUOTE]Those little discounts start to add up though. If you're paying $50 for a full year of PS+ or in my case, 15 months of PS+, then that measly $3 discount almost covers an entire month of service. Depending on how many games you purchase off the PSN, the discounts themselves could easily pay for PS+ and then some.

On a side note, I'm hoping for a discount on Payday: The Heist next month, no matter how small. That game looks like a fuckload of fun.

[quote name='Reo 15x']This has gone off topic quite a bit. Let's keep to deal discussion please. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I apologize for that. I was simple stating a rebuttal as to why some of us view the $50 a year for PS+ to be a horrible 'value'.
[quote name='PimpLimp']Those little discounts start to add up though. If you're paying $50 for a full year of PS+ or in my case, 15 months of PS+, then that measly $3 discount almost covers an entire month of service. Depending on how many games you purchase off the PSN, the discounts themselves could easily pay for PS+ and then some.

On a side note, I'm hoping for a discount on Payday: The Heist next month, no matter how small. That game looks like a fuckload of fun.[/QUOTE]
That's the thing though. I don't usually buy many games off of PSN unless they're pretty cheap. Like yesterday I picked up the MK Arcade Collection for $10. Only thing I didn't realize before buying it is that UMK3 is the older version with classic Sub-Zero and the other 2 hidden characters still locked via Kombat Kodes.:bomb:

Hopefully they'll release another patch for it to unlock those guys, since I wanna finish it with all of them, but I was always horrible at doing the kodes.:cry:

Oh and btw...if you want to try a game mode similar to Payday: The Heist before that comes out, there's a bank robbery mode in mp in Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days.;)

In these modes you supposedly have to be careful with who you shoot and what not, as other players can kill you and put you on the other side(playing as a cop) of the game. I haven't tried it yet, but from this video it looked pretty fun.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']All I'm gonna say on this is I prefer physical media. If other people prefer a digital download, then that's their prerogative, just as it's their prerogative if they consider $20-30 for a download only version of a game to be a good price.

I don't.

So if consoles DO go all digital download within the next gen, then that's it for me, as I will NOT pay $50-60 for a frickin' downloadable version of a game. At most I'd pay $10 for something I have ZERO resell rights to.[/QUOTE]
It's a good thing that very few games are $50+, which is typically reserved for retail games that are also released on PSN at the same time. There's Infamous 2, DC Universe Online (soon to be free), Mass Effect 2 (now $40 with a price drop), and that's about it. So you don't have to spend $50-$60 for a downloadable game because there's maybe one of them in the store.
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I haven't bought one of them yet. I just wish other people would stop buying them as well so companies would stop milking these games/series.

I didn't mean full MSRP, but some of these 'collections' are pretty ridiculous at $40 or more starting price.[/QUOTE]
They're not really milking those series if they're not re-releasing the same games on the same platforms, like Capcom fighters, but most of them are bringing these games to new platforms for new audiences to experience. This isn't a new thing either. How many Genesis, Capcom, Namco, Atari, Midway, and other compilations have been released over the past few generations?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But how good are the actual discounts? The only recently released game to PSN that I was kinda interested in was From Dust($14.99 normally) and with PSN+ it was a whopping $3. Big whoop. To me a good discount is 50% off and I'm talking 50% off of a game priced at $15 or higher, not some $1-5 pos.[/QUOTE]
Looking at the 50% off deals I've gotten since I joined a few months ago:

Fancy Pants Adventures - $4.99
Red Johnson's Chronicles - $6.50 - Pre-Launch Deal
Sega Rally Online Arcade - $4.99
Mega Man 10 - $4.99
Borderlands Game of the Year - $14.99 - 75% off

That's about $66 in savings, more than the cost of PS+ for me and that doesn't include smaller discounts and whatever else I get for sale until next August when my sub expires.

If you don't have any interest in the vast majority of PSN games, then there's no reason to consider PS+. Subjective interest will always be more important than the objective bonuses.

Touché Frisky. Well played. I've been one of the people to buy the 'compilations' from Midway and such(recently picked up the MK Collection for $10 from PSN) over the past couple of gens.

Each gamer's tastes will be different, so the value of PS+ per person will be different as well. I tend to gravitate more towards the sandbox-y titles or the action games/action RPG's.

So how can I buy the RE games on sale with my PS+ account?
They only stay as FREE with no option to buy even though they're on sale.

I would like to actually own them just in case I end up cancelling PS= for whatever reason.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I believe the argument was, if $50 is going to break the bank, maybe you should stop spending money on games for awhile.[/QUOTE]

Hence I said, "(being) on a budget". However, I do see the virtue in the point that was being conveyed. I think I probably went a bit overboard with my message, by the principle is still sound IMO.

[quote name='Jawmuncher']So how can I buy the RE games on sale with my PS+ account?

I would like to actually own them just in case I end up cancelling PS= for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

As of right now, you can't. :cry:

In all honesty, and like people have mentioned, it's really just a loophole that Sony either:
A.)Didn't initially think about
B.)Considers it incentive for you to keep giving them money.

Hopefully they will implement it in the future.

[quote name='Jawmuncher']So how can I buy the RE games on sale with my PS+ account?

I would like to actually own them just in case I end up cancelling PS= for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

Make a second account and use that sadly it's the only way to do it.

@IAmTheCheapestGamer

You really need to do your homework man. I have only had PS+ for a few months...the two it was free and than the last two, but I've monitored some of the discounts and free games from ps+ for awhile.

The amount of great content that has been free or at a HUGE discount is unreal. The games that come out on sale or cheap are great and arent all shitware like you say....yes, some of it does suck, but there is easily enough content to find which can eventually justify a yearly sub.

And again, you really gotta do your hw...the savings can be much more than 50%. In the last 2 months I was able to grab all of these, Borderlands (DLC as well), Burnout, Hard Corps Uprising, Pxiel Shooter 2, Scott Pilgrim, Shank, Chime for much less than 50% off to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back